• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: The Ongoing Adventures of Fight and Heal

kagamin

Finished up Story Mode in Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold a few days, and I'm now doing postgame with the same party.

Man, this game is so good! Standard difficulty feels just right. Not too easy, but not insanely hard like Expert. The additions to each EO entry keep these games surprisingly fresh. I love that the developers actually go above and beyond even when I least expect it!

Can't wait for EOV!

The only thing about playing on Standard is that if you ever plan on playing the earlier games you'll probably get your ass kicked, Etrian Odyssey is the only series where I always play on the highest difficulty available just to be consistent with myself (I started with 2 after all).

Anteo

The Juggernaut is insane in expert mode, soemtimes it just decides to kill you and outside of having some limits ready there is not much I could do. I was stuck for a long time there with my party.

Nachos

The Juggernaut is insane in expert mode, soemtimes it just decides to kill you and outside of having some limits ready there is not much I could do. I was stuck for a long time there with my party.
I'd argue all of the bosses are insane on expert mode, since pretty much all of them basically follow a "figure out this pattern or die" design philosophy, on top of the huge amounts of health. Still really like all of the environmental puzzles involving them, though, as well as all the environmental interaction U2 added in general, so I'm really hoping V doubles down on that while moving away from (kind of) everything else.

The only thing about playing on Standard is that if you ever plan on playing the earlier games you'll probably get your ass kicked, Etrian Odyssey is the only series where I always play on the highest difficulty available just to be consistent with myself (I started with 2 after all).

No, I actually played the original DS entries and Untold Expert is far worse than those games.

I honestly think Expert is badly designed, and I had to do all kinds of grimoire grinding and cheesing to beat the Core on Untold 1. I only bothered to do so because the medal required Expert. Otherwise, fighting mobs and bosses on Expert just isn't worth it to me.

jonjonaug

I played Untold 1 Story mode on Standard because I didn't really like the party setup enough to care about figuring things out but I thought Untold 2 Story mode on Expert was pretty well balanced and had a really fun class balance setup. Stuff like the Juggernaut was really hard, but in a fun way IMO.

kagamin

No, I actually played the original DS entries and Untold Expert is far worse than those games.

I honestly think Expert is badly designed, and I had to do all kinds of grimoire grinding and cheesing to beat the Core on Untold 1. I only bothered to do so because the medal required Expert. Otherwise, fighting mobs and bosses on Expert just isn't worth it to me.

Might just be story mode then that suffers from imbalance in difficulty.

asagami_

Banned
I am in the
fifth
labyrinth of EO IV. Now I have all the classes unlocked, I wonder if the last class is good to invest.

The classes of my main unit are: (first row) Landsknecht/Imperial (formerly was Landsknecht/Bushi), Nightseeker/Dancer, Fortress/Bushi, (second row) Arcanist/Medic and Bushi/Landsknecht.

I'm fine with all of them, except the first (and change the Nightseeker and Bushi rows, actually). I really liked the Landsknecht/Bushi combination thanks to the Charge Skill, so maybe I return to this. Vanguard + Charge + Sword Tempest is a beast.

Weebos

Banned
I am in the
fifth
labyrinth of EO IV. Now I have all the classes unlocked, I wonder if the last class is good to invest.

The classes of my main unit are: (first row) Landsknecht/Imperial (formerly was Landsknecht/Bushi), Nightseeker/Dancer, Fortress/Bushi, (second row) Arcanist/Medic and Bushi/Landsknecht.

I'm fine with all of them, except the first (and change the Nightseeker and Bushi rows, actually). I really liked the Landsknecht/Bushi combination thanks to the Charge Skill, so maybe I return to this. Vanguard + Charge + Sword Tempest is a beast.

The last class,
Imperial
, is easily my favorite in the game. I ended up with two of them on my endgame team, they demolish bosses like nothing else.

asagami_

Banned
The last class,
Imperial
, is easily my favorite in the game. I ended up with two of them on my endgame team, they demolish bosses like nothing else.

Interesting. May I know what offensive skills are good? Maybe I can try a
Imperial/Bushi
combination just for the sake to keep Charge.

tuffy

Charge doesn't really work with Imperial due to its class mechanic. I would suggest Runemaster or Bushi for their passives.
In my experience, Imperial/Bushi works with Charge just fine. Once you've got Enlightenment and maxed out Ignition, you can go:

Assault Drive → Heat Sink → Charge → Elemental Drive → Ignition → Elemental Drive x 3

which should be enough to finish off most things, especially when paired with a bunch of other Bushi damage-boosting passives.

Though I've also done Imperial/Nightseeker for some lulz. Follow Trace making an Elemental Drive trigger twice is lots of fun, though probably not as optimal as other combinations.

spiritfox

In my experience, Imperial/Bushi works with Charge just fine. Once you've got Enlightenment and maxed out Ignition, you can go:

Assault Drive → Heat Sink → Charge → Elemental Drive → Ignition → Elemental Drive x 3

which should be enough to finish off most things, especially when paired with a bunch of other Bushi damage-boosting passives.

Though I've also done Imperial/Nightseeker for some lulz. Follow Trace making an Elemental Drive trigger twice is lots of fun, though probably not as optimal as other combinations.

Ah it's been a while since I play EOIV, so my memory is a little fuzzy. But Charge only affects a single Drive (or 2 if you Charge 1st turn), compared to the Runic passives which boost the entire Ignition combo. But if you're not looking to min-max Bushi works too. I remember I did I/B before resting for I/R postgame. Man Imperial is such a fun class. I wish they did a similar class again.

Edit: Oh and that Charge could be replaced with Hawkeye which further boosts elemental damage.

tuffy

Ah it's been a while since I play EOIV, so my memory is a little fuzzy. But Charge only affects a single Drive (or 2 if you Charge 1st turn), compared to the Runic passives which boost the entire Ignition combo. But if you're not looking to min-max Bushi works too. I remember I did I/B before resetting for I/R postgame.

Edit: Oh and that Charge could be replaced with Hawkeye which further boosts elemental damage.
Bushi's Blood Surge, Surge Mastery and Power Boost added to a pretty significant attack boost if memory serves, but I can't remember if it was better than all the stacked Runemaster subclass passives or not. I did a multiple Imperial front line playthrough once with different subclasses and their damage output was similar from what I recall. That said, there is a piece of gear hidden in the 5th stratum which gives the Charge skill so one doesn't need to subclass Bushi for that alone. Playing through the story multiple times via New Game+ is one way to accumulate several of them for a bit of extra fun.

spiritfox

NJu2FEu.png

Can we have Fae in the next EO pls.

Zweizer

Banned
Oh, didn't notice Hardin isn't PR manager at Atlus anymore.

I wonder what it says about their current state.

(Tip: Better learn Japanese.)

Oh, didn't notice Hardin isn't PR manager at Atlus anymore.

I wonder what it says about their current state.

(Tip: Better learn Japanese.)

I'm no expert, but I think Hardin just got a better job somewhere else. He's now a senior PR manager at NCSoft.

But yeah, it's getting worrying now. Vaguely hoping its because they didn't want to announce anything until after Persona 5, I'm really hoping...

FluxWaveZ

Vaguely hoping its because they didn't want to announce anything until after Persona 5, I'm really hoping...

They did announce Caligula before P5 was out, though that might have been because of other business partnerships.

I'd lean more towards June/July for EOV than May. Like, I could see it being shown off at their E3 booth.

Atlus USA is in this weird spot. Sucks having to wait so long for these Japanese games.

spiritfox

They did announce Caligula before P5 was out, though that might have been because of other business partnerships.

I'd lean more towards June/July for EOV than May. Like, I could see it being shown off at their E3 booth.

Atlus USA is in this weird spot. Sucks having to wait so long for these Japanese games.

Maybe an announcement in May then. But EO is not a very E3 game lol.

FluxWaveZ

Lets think what else they could have at E3. No doubt Yakuza Kiwami will be there with maybe Yakuza 6. Valkyria (lol) revoLOLtion. Utawataraataromuno 2 games (im buying this day one). What else?

Caligula, maybe Rock of Ages 2 (depends on release date), Sonic Mania, and there's probably more. Part of the reason that the E3 2017 booth is possibly labeled "Atlus / Sega" might be partly because it'll be more Sega heavy this time around.

Caligula, maybe Rock of Ages 2 (depends on release date), Sonic Mania, and there's probably more. Part of the reason that the E3 2017 booth is possibly labeled "Atlus / Sega" might be partly because it'll be more Sega heavy this time around.

good point. I forgot about the sonic stuff. so sonic mania + that other sonic game. Shenmue hd if that's a thing as well.

Sölf

So, I wanted to ask, does EO GAF also have a Discord server? Since several of the other Communities I am in have one by now.

spiritfox

Sölf;231217861 said:
So, I wanted to ask, does EO GAF also have a Discord server? Since several of the other Communities I am in have one by now.

I don't think we have enough people to warrant a Discord server.

spiritfox

Guess we're not getting any other EO games if EMD's getting the anniversary pack.

Also I wanna say that the new class's design is astonishingly bad. Can we get Himukai to do the art for EMD too.

Top Bottom