• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2012 |OT2| of Spain celebrating victory with younger, mixed gender squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

bud

well, if you wanna go that way, then it was only partly his fault--the defender (lustig, i think) who was supposed to guard the first post moved for no reason and left a pretty big space between him and the post.

well, if you wanna go that way, then it was only partly his fault--the defender (lustig, i think) who was supposed to guard the first post moved for no reason and left a pretty big space between him and the post.

Yep they both fucked up pretty big time there. Everyone knows Lustig is shit though, nothing new there. He was such a big FM talent. :']

bud

It was a comedy of errors but he shouldn't be excused just because the man on the post made a mistake too.

so what are you saying, then? because he fucked up once, he couldn't have given a great performance overall?

Dibbz

Even with Barcelona, Iniesta doesn't have that many assists or goals. His talents lie in other areas. He is probably has the best close control in the world. Give him an inch of space and he'll make a complete fool of you. He'll beat 2 players and stretch the opposition defence. Thats what he's brilliant at.

If he scored goals more regularly then he'd probably have won the Ballon d'or by now. And Busquets is just incredible too. Best DM in the world.

Pretty much. Iniesta is a fucking phantom. He just seems to float through players and Busquets never gets the credit he deserves.

Wellscha

Player of the tournament so far?

Riiiiiiiiiiiiight.

mxgt

Banned
Hoping Sweden can hold France to a draw and we beat Ukraine so we don't face Spain in the quarters. Only way we have a chance of getting to the Semi's

rodvik

Hoping Sweden can hold France to a draw and we beat Ukraine so we don't face Spain in the quarters. Only way we have a chance of getting to the Semi's

Cant this also happen if both teams win but we close the goal difference gap?

But yeah agreed, Spain is to be avoided. Our midfield is incapable of possession against regular teams let alone Spain.

It as to be said though I am really enjoying the tourney and England so far. It is entertaining and even getting out of the group would be a decent result for this England squad.

Not gonna write Ukraine off though. It will be a tough game.

CassSept

Gifs of the day (thanks Sunhi):

untitled-2bzm8f.gif

Haha, this is amazing.

What exactly happened in the last game? I left home disillusioned at 2-1, checked briefly online and it's 2-3, oh my! I'm amazed at how good this tournament is, goals galore.

Edit: Also, almost forgot. It's Judgment Day! POLAND!

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
So is Chesney back for Poland? I thought his understudy did quite well in his absence.

Fritz

Is it just me or both matches kick-off at the same time now??

Nah that's right. They want to prevent that the teams make a deal on the outcome of the match cause by now it's just math who will survive the group stage.

Oxx

Croatia and Spain can still come to an agreement regarding their 2-2 draw no matter when they kick off.

Jubern

OT2 heh.

Can anyone remind me how you access the post count of a thread? It'd be nice to see the wall of shame from the previous OT!

Wilbur

Banned
I won and I was out last night, you pathetic worms. Post more to compensate for my domination
please, I can't be top of this and footyGAF

Cant this also happen if both teams win but we close the goal difference gap?

But yeah agreed, Spain is to be avoided. Our midfield is incapable of possession against regular teams let alone Spain.

It as to be said though I am really enjoying the tourney and England so far. It is entertaining and even getting out of the group would be a decent result for this England squad.

Not gonna write Ukraine off though. It will be a tough game.

Yeah we're one behind on goal difference; if France win 1-0 and we win 2-0 we go through top on goals scored. So it comes down to goal difference if we both win.

I'll be happy if we get through the group stage. Every tournament I've watched until now I've expected too much; beating Brazil 1-0 just before Rivaldo scored, Campbell's header getting disallowed, and then even us losing to Germany, I just thought we can't go out in the second round we're a fucking quarter final team!

But if we come second in this group and lose to Spain then my expectations have been met and I'll be happy. Was really happy with yesterday's performance save a collection of brain farts at the start of the second half.

What did you guys make of Johnson last night? Some people seem to think he was our worst player, some think he played well, but was poor because of the part he played in the Sweden equaliser (if that makes sense) and some think he was our worst player.

Dead pleased for Carroll, shame Rooney will waltz in and replace he or Welbeck when both have done OK

Wilbur

Banned
What did you guys make of Johnson last night? Some people seem to think he was our worst player, some think he played well, but was poor because of the part he played in the Sweden equaliser (if that makes sense) and some think he was our worst player.

Dead pleased for Carroll, shame Rooney will waltz in and replace he or Welbeck when both have done OK

Worst players were yet again Milner and Young by far.

Oxx

Imagine how well England's counter-attacking, big-man-up-front style would work if they actually had two passable wingers.

hylje

Think of the opportunities with 24 teams! My country could finally be on it :D

Only if Jari Litmanen would still be playing....

Kabouter

Can't think of too many teams that would improve it.

Switzerland, Turkey, Belgium, Serbia, Montenegro, Bosnia?

Slovakia and Slovenia I guess. None of them are going to improve the tournament, obviously, because sixteen is the ideal number, but I figure the six you mentioned plus Slovakia and Slovenia would be the least terrible set of countries you're likely to get.

Wilbur

Banned
Slovakia and Slovenia I guess. None of them are going to improve the tournament, obviously, because sixteen is the ideal number, but I figure the six you mentioned plus Slovakia and Slovenia would be the least terrible set of countries you're likely to get.

Yeah that's true; not improve it but keep up the quality of teams would have been a better choice of words.

Acheteedo

Interesting England stats from the BBC:

• England have the best conversion rate of any team at Euro 2012, scoring with a quarter of their shots
  • Joe Hart is only behind Republic of Ireland's Shay Given for the most saves made in Euro 2012

They sound nice at first, but I think both are potentially worrying: on the first point, factoring in the total number of goals, that suggests that we're getting less shots on goal than other teams, that's a stat I'd like to see. On the second point, sure Hart is saving them, but a good team wouldn't allow him to be in that position in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom