• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2012 |OT2| of Spain celebrating victory with younger, mixed gender squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jethro

292101_10150997323902094_290739796_n.jpg

Linius

Yeah, lame indeed. I'm really diggin' this football overload.

Last WC I was at the hospital till a few days before the final so I literally watched every match. Tournament began with three matches a day <3

DrM

Redmond's Baby
UEFA started disciplinary procedure against Croatia due to firework incidents and inappropriate fan behavior (racist stuff) on match against Italy. Verdict will be known on Tuesday

Yager

Banned
And Iniesta; he's been Messi-like at times, minus the goals.

Iniesta's playing wonderful. Talking about spanish players, I still don't understand why Del Bosque keeps doing the lineup with both Busquets and Xabi Alonso. Alonso hasn't done anything this far. I know it's been only 2 games, but I believe that only playing with Busquets is enough for Spain's playstyle.

Sylver

Banned
Iniesta's playing wonderful. Talking about spanish players, I still don't understand why Del Bosque keeps doing the lineup with both Busquets and Xabi Alonso. Alonso hasn't done anything this far. I know it's been only 2 games, but I believe that only playing with Busquets is enough for Spain's playstyle.

We need a strong MD according there isn't Puyol on the back. Would be too risky to play only with Busquets, imo.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
UEFA started disciplinary procedure against Croatia due to firework incidents and inappropriate fan behavior (racist stuff) on match against Italy. Verdict will be known on Tuesday

-1 point. Believe.

Xater

I wish there was an English version of this article. So here is just the German one: http://www.faz.net/aktuell/feuilleton/die-em-im-fernsehen-die-regie-spielt-falsch-11787080.html

It's about how the presentation of the Euro is pretty much censored to keep any politics out of it and present an all happy event. We didn't get to see the banner German politicians held up during the game with the Netherlands, which was about fair play in the Ukrainian politics. We did not get to see the naked Kroation guy hugging the Kroatian coach during the match with Ireland. And remember Löw's funny moment with the boy? well that actually happened before the game even started. Oh and the UEFA doesn't want empty seats and especially VIP ones being shown.

Overdoziz

Banned
I wish there was an English version of this article. So here is just the German one: http://www.faz.net/aktuell/feuilleton/die-em-im-fernsehen-die-regie-spielt-falsch-11787080.html

It's about how the presentation of the Euro is pretty much censored to keep any politics out of it and present an all happy event. We didn't get to see the banner German politicians held up during the game with the Netherlands, which was about fair play in the Ukrainian politics. We did not get to see the naked Kroation guy hugging the Kroatian coach during the match with Ireland. And remember Löw's funny moment with the boy? well that actually happened before the game even started. Oh and the UEFA doesn't want empty seats and especially VIP ones being shown.
So... like every other UEFA tournament in the past?

Yen

You will have to play them both against Germany or whoever, may aswell have them playing as much as possible. You should still be stuffing teams like Ireland and Croatia, even with two very deep midfielders playing.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Man, having to wait until 20:45 and having to follow two matches at the same time is gonna suck. I got into such a great routine of watching all the matches on my week off.

elty

I think 24 teams won't be that bad. If we have 24 teams we will probably have:

Pot 1
Spain (1)
Netherlands (2)
Ukraine (15)
Poland (28)
Germany (3)
Italy (4)

Pot 2
England (5)
Russia (6)
Croatia (7)
Greece (8)
Portugal (9)
Sweden (10)

Pot 3
Denmark (11)
France (12)
Czech Republic (13)
Republic of Ireland (14)
*Turkey
*Bosnia and Herzegovina

Pot 4
*Montenegro
*Estonia
?Switzerland
?Serbia
?Slovakia
?Romania

Group of death is certainly less likely but there are still good teams in pot 3 and 4.

It is really a damn shame but the UEFA will not change - they sell "clean" entertainment and always propagate that sport shouldn't be involved in politics. Money is what counts and sponsors fear for their image and reputation if they are associated with "political statements", naked people or the fact that there would be thousands of people who would love to have a ticket. They can't have one because sponsor X gets them and doesn't even have the people to fill up the ranks.

cheating?

How it was cheating?

It wasn't cheating - merely saving stamina for the important games :p

I think 24 teams won't be that bad. If we have 24 teams we will probably have:

Pot 1
Spain (1)
Netherlands (2)
Ukraine (15)
Poland (28)
Germany (3)
Italy (4)

Pot 2
England (5)
Russia (6)
Croatia (7)
Greece (8)
Portugal (9)
Sweden (10)

Pot 3
Denmark (11)
France (12)
Czech Republic (13)
Republic of Ireland (14)
*Turkey
*Bosnia and Herzegovina

Pot 4
*Montenegro
*Estonia
?Switzerland
?Serbia
?Slovakia
?Romania

Group of death is certainly less likely but there are still good teams in pot 3 and 4.

yeah 24 teams won't be too bad. there is plenty of quality all around europe.

plus you forgot some teams, for example belgium. and do turkey play for UEFA? israel? i ask because their clubs play in the CL/EL. also slovenia and hungary are decent.

basically there is plenty of quality for 24 teams. and personally i like seeing and rooting for the underdog teams.

7aged

cheating?

How it was cheating?

They colluded to knock out Algeria. If Austria drew or won, (West) Germany was out, if ze Germans won by 2 or more goals, Austria was out. So what happened? Germany score in the first ten minutes and then the two teams just kickabout for the rest of the match.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
They colluded to knock out Algeria. If Austria drew or won, (West) Germany was out, if ze Germans won by 2 or more goals, Austria was out. So what happened? Germany score in the first ten minutes and then the two teams just kickabout for the rest of the match.

Technically it wasn't cheating.

It was freaking bullshit, though.

zonezeus

plus you forgot some teams, for example belgium. and do turkey play for UEFA? israel? i ask because their clubs play in the CL/EL. also slovenia and hungary are decent.

basically there is plenty of quality for 24 teams. and personally i like seeing and rooting for the underdog teams.

Agreed, plus this Euro pretty much proven that even less renown teams can put up a decent show, with all the crazy matches in Group A as a prime example.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
dutch folks, being that it's pretty important for the 'alles of niets' match on sunday, how are you lot keeping tabs on the german game? I know they usually show the score top corner every now and then and the commenters keep up with it, but is there an alternative channel broadcasting the other match?

Rad-

Alonso is still pretty important because of his passing range.

elty

I just wiki the Euro 212 qualification and list them by seeding order. Turkey and Israel both play in UEFA I think.

The qualification stage will probably be meaningless though. Or it may spark new excitement as the 2nd/3rd tier team fights hard for qualification.

No there isn't. The only team that is arguably better than Eire who missed out is Bosnia. That doesn't warrant expanding the tournament by 8 teams. I'd be more open to expansion if they scrap the Olympic tournament.

Turkey has regressed significantly since Euro 2008. They only had one away win in qualification. Israel hasn't qualified for a major tournament since 1970.

Arjen

dutch folks, being that it's pretty important for the 'alles of niets' match on sunday, how are you lot keeping tabs on the german game? I know they usually show the score top corner every now and then and the commenters keep up with it, but is there an alternative channel broadcasting the other match?

Don't know if it will be the case this time, but i'm sure in the past they used NL1 for the main game, and NL3 for the other game. If not i'm sure you can watch it on their site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom