• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2012 |OT2| of Spain celebrating victory with younger, mixed gender squad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Posting for everyone to see:

c7lGk.png

RIP Dr Eggman.

Famous French journalist Thierry Roland died of a stroke after the Ukraine - France game, at the age of 74. He was supposed to comment the Euro but had to change his mind due to health reasons.

He commented 13 World Cups for French television.

Kurtofan

Famous French journalist Thierry Roland died of a heart attack while watching the Ukraine - France game, at the age of 74. He was supposed to comment the Euro but had to change his mind due to health reasons.

He commented 13 World Cups for French télévision.

He died during the match?

I hope he saw us score at least.

Edit:I think he died after the match.

Edit:RIP of course.

Famous French journalist Thierry Roland died of a heart attack while watching the Ukraine - France game, at the age of 74. He was supposed to comment the Euro but had to change his mind due to health reasons.

He commented 13 World Cups for French télévision.

R.I.P.

Shame to go out that way but at least he died while doing something he loved to do up until the age of 74.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Schweinsteiger is the best player in the tournament so far. Such a beast.

Corrected my post. It was a stroke, not a heart attack, and it happened after the game, not during. Thanks for correcting, Kurtofan.

French TV commentator Thierry Roland dies
AFP - June 16, 2012 - 6:26PM

thierry_roland_i.jpg

CONTROVERSIAL French television football commentating legend Thierry Roland has died aged 74, it was announced by French TV channel M6 on behalf of his family on Saturday.

Rolland had recently undergone an operation and had declared himself unfit to travel to Ukraine for the Euro 2012 tournament telling AFP that "it would not be right to go to Ukraine where they do not have great medicine should something happen."

Rolland commentated over a 60 year career on 13 World Cups and nine European Championships - he also commentated at several Olympic Games.

He formed a partnership in the commentary box with former France international Jean-Michel Larqué, with whom he was due to renew their partnership in Ukraine for M6 for the first time at a major finals since Euro 2004.

"Informed by his familly, M6 has the immense sadness to announce the death of Thierry Roland. The channel transmits its enormous affection and condolences to his widow Françoise and his son Gary," M6 communications director Yann de Kersauson told AFP.

Rolland's mellifluous tones gained huge popularity and on more than one occasion saved him from being sacked for ill-chosen phrases.

The first such instance came in 1976 in a match between France and Bulgaria in which he lost his sang froid with the Scottish referee over his awarding a penalty to the Bulgarians.

"Mr Foote, you are a bastard!" he cried on live television.

His employer at the time state TV channel Antenne 2 wanted to punish him but backed down after hundreds of viewers wrote in supporting him.

On other occasions too he had to apologise publicly to the Tunisian people and in particular referee Ali Bennaceur, of whom he had made what were termed 'racist' comments on live TV after Diego Maradona's 'Hand of God' goal against England in the 1986 quarter-final.

"Honestly, Jean-Michel, don't you think that there could have been a better choice to referee such a big match as this than a Tunisian?" he said.

However, on a brighter note he will also be remembered for his commentary on the final whistle of France's 1998 World Cup victory over Brazil.

"I believe that after witnessing that, one can die happily!"
http://www.news.com.au/breaking-new.../story-e6frfku0-1226397542632?from=public_rss

Wilbur

Banned
Pirlo's been better so far, in my opinion.

Yep. He's taken my breath away about 5 times in both matches so far. Like we discussed in the Footy thread, that little shimmy to make space before knocking it wide against Croatia made me laugh and smile so wide. Such a fucking pleasure watching one of my all time favourite players still bossing it now.

fuenf

Some of you still need to submit their Matchday 3 Predictions @Kicktipp.

There's also another free transfer available in Fantasy Football!

Wilbur

Banned
Some of you still need to submit their Matchday 3 Predictions @Kicktipp.

There's also another free transfer available in Fantasy Football!

When does the deadline for the predictions close? Out until near the start of the games

The French President says RIP:

Thierry Roland's passing - Francois Hollande: "This is one of the most popular and strongest supporters of football who disappears"

(French) President Francois Hollande hailed Saturday the memory of sports commentator Thierry Roland, who died of a stroke overnight at 74, thinking that the world of football witnessed the disappearance of "one of its most popular and strongest supporters".

"It is with sadness that I learn of the death of Thierry Roland," the Head of State said in a statement released by the Elysée Palace.

"I salute the memory of this great sports commentator, recognized by all, who dedicated his life - with passion and talent - to French football," he says.

"I know that he was delighted, no later than yesterday night (Friday) of the victory of our French team, which he followed for 13 World Cups and accompanied with his strong voice for 50 years," he adds.

According to Francois Hollande, "the world of sports and football lost one of its most popular and strongest supporters."

"I want to associate myself with the pain he and his family has my condolences," the statement concluded.

A sporting legend and king of football on television, journalist Thierry Roland passed away suddenly in the night from Friday to Saturday at the age of 74 years.

The news of his death, which surprised the football world and the world of sports correspondents in the middle of the 2012 Euro, was made official on Saturday morning at the request of the family by the M6 channel, for which he was expected reform his duet with Jean-Michel "Jean Mi-Mi" Larqué.

Jacques Vendroux, Sports Director of Radio France and friend of Thierry Roland, said that he had died following a stroke during the night, after watching the match France-Ukraine of Euro -2012 won 2-0 by the Blues.
http://www.jeanmarcmorandini.com/ar...ardents-supporters-du-foot-qui-disparait.html

fuenf

When does the deadline for the predictions close? Out until near the start of the games

5 minutes before kickoff (of the respective game). If you cant make it, just post your predictions for todays games here and i think i should be able to submit them for you.

Jubern

It hit me pretty hard. I almost cried upon seeing the video of Jean-Michel Larqué's reaction.

He's Mr. Football in France, no matter what one thinks of his antics, and he's been commentating for so long that even people in their 50s or older grew up with him.

The fact that it happens in the night right after France's victory - a game he should have been commentating - is some incredible coincidence alright. I'm repeating myself, but seeing his long-time partner Larqué (since 1979, guys, 1979) reaction was excruciating.

Wilbur

Banned
5 minutes before kickoff (of the respective game). If you cant make it, just post your predictions for todays games here and i think i should be able to submit them for you.

I should be back an hour or so beforehand so it should be fine. Thanks though!

It hit me pretty hard. I almost cried upon seeing the video of Jean-Michel Larqué's reaction.

He's Mr. Football in France, no matter what one thinks of his antics, and he's been commentating for so long that even people in their 50s or older grew up with him.

The fact that it happens in the night right after France's victory - a game he should have been commentating - is some incredible coincidence alright. I'm repeating myself, but seeing his long-time partner Larqué (since 1979, guys, 1979) reaction was excruciating.
Very sad news.

I'm really impressed with this thread, was extremely dubious at first (a football thread ON GAF!) but it really looks the business. My predictions for the tournament are as follows; Spain will lift the trophy and I shall eventually fly over to Poland and bed cute Danish girl.

Linius

I'm really impressed with this thread, was extremely dubious at first (a football thread ON GAF!) but it really looks the business. My predictions for the tournament are as follows; Spain will lift the trophy and I shall eventually fly over to Poland and bed cute Danish girl.
Actually football Gaf is quite big. Lots and lots of pages about everything and nothing I learned last week.

And I'm just leaving this here for Dutch Gaf. Some famous Dutch singers/rappers made a song to support our squad. A popular Radio DJ now made his own version bashing our squad 'cause of the poor results :p

Yager

Banned
lol at italians thinking Spain and Croatia could orchestrate a 2-2 draw
KuGsj.gif

This. Also, Spain could've done in the WC with Chile, they didn't. Why would they want to do it now, and with Croatia? If Italy falls, it's because of themselves...I mean, Balotelli.

lol at italians thinking Spain and Croatia could orchestrate a 2-2 draw
KuGsj.gif

this is because Sweden and Denmark already did it 8 years ago

I really don't think that Spain and Croatia could ever agree on a result, Spain in particular wants to win.

Aniway, first we must beat Ireland, and it does not seem impossible, but anything can happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom