• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro-GAF: explain yourself! (peanut butter)

Status
Not open for further replies.

V_Arnold

It might be a huge bump, but GAF, I have to make a confession.
I am not a peanut-butter convert.

Take some flat rye bread (the best thing in the world, basically, not the useless shit people call white bread :p), and put peanut butter on it, and it is basically heaven.
I did not like its taste before on white bread, but on this, it is a game changer. Not better taste-wise than Nutella, but that is shit anyway, I do not need that excess sugar.

Now, to hunt down some non-salted versions...

AlphaDump

Gold Member
the US has nutella, why is that even a point in this discussion?

We have nutella and peanut butter, and that shit is awesome when combined.

V_Arnold

the US has nutella, why is that even a point in this discussion?

We have nutella and peanut butter, and that shit is awesome when combined.

To be honest, if you want the unsaturated fats that much, you are better off eating raw hazelnuts, that is much more healthy than taking in the plus salt that comes with the peanut butter and the sugar coming with Nutella :D

Edit: Who am I kidding, though...talking about healthiness when in a snack thread :p

Johnny M

Peanut butter is disgusting.

In the other hand, a toasted papo seco from my portuguese cousins, with the melted butter all over it... oh my god :3

Other way is toast bread with olive oil.

I eat kaya. It's like a coconut spread, popular in Malaysia. Hard to find in the UK, but my mother knows how to make it.

If you haven't tried it, you haven't lived.

I discovered recently that it actually goes pretty well with peanut butter too.

Almost makes me feel that The Netherlands is the #1 country in Europe that basically grew up with peanut butter and keeps eating it past the age of 10.

I know I do.

TCRS

Banned
I just bought peanut butter for the first time in my life. Wth is wrong with you americans? It's salty and not even a hint of sweetness. No wonder you guys like to put jam (the spread you call "jelly" lol) on it, which is also disgusting.

Nutella forever!

Barmaley

Neo Member
Might sound weird, but I love peanut butter (skippy creamy) spread on white swiss bread with a thin layer of normal butter underneath it. Sounds like a calories nightmare, but I'm skinny so i can handle it.

NekoFever

I love peanut butter and could happily eat a jar if you gave me a spoon. That's pretty much why I don't buy it any more. I'm sure the natural stuff is decent but the stuff in most supermarkets must be loaded with sugar and salt, so I just eat plain nuts for the protein.

I saw somewhere selling cashew butter the other day, and as cashews are another of my weaknesses I was sorely tempted to try it.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Chunky Peanut Butter is fantastic but even as someone who likes it I don't really eat it that much and I'd never have it on bread with jam just with a spoon from the jar (well mostly because i don't like jam in sandwiches).

It must be a cultural thing to some extent, even folk I know who love peanut butter would just tend to eat actual nuts and have peanut butter the very odd time. It's very much an 'outside' product over here for whatever reason.

Herne

I like peanut butter and will eat it, but not very often. The thought of mixing it with fruit jam though, is just disgusting, and I can't understand how people eat it. In fact, we gave it a try once, and bleurgh! Awful stuff. Though I must say that I do like Ben & Jerry's Peanut Butter Me Up.

Raika

You guys need to eat real peanut butter before hating. Where you actually mix it instead of that pre-mixed Skippy crap.

Also creamy peanut butter sucks. Crunchy is where it's at. Nutella is good but damn it's unhealthy.

Fritz

More confessions:

I prefer peanut butter jelly sandwich over a nutella sandwich. But it's just so rich that I can only stomach it two times a year. Can't remember the last time I had that or nutella.

Don't mind me, I'm just eating an awesome peanut butter and jelly sandwich for breakfast with a cold glass of 1% milk as I read through this bump.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
there has to be some kind of huge European hazelnut conspiracy over there. They have hazelnuts in *everything*

Hari Seldon

Saturday morning when you wake up, toast a bagel and then put peanut butter on it. It melts in and it is glorious. Works best with cinnamon raisin bagels.

decaf

Tried to eat two slices of crunchy peanut butter on toast last night. One with butter, one without. So dry. Felt ill afterwards.

Vagabundo

For the record, the terms jelly and jam are both used in the US. By technical definition, jelly is the form of fruit spread made only with fruit-juice. Jam is the type made with real fruit. There is also preserves, which is a kind of chunky jam made with large pieces of whole fruit. However, in colloquial use, jelly is used as a catch-all for all forms of fruit spread. I prefer using strawberry preserves with my peanut-butter on sandwiches.

I tried for a long time order a jam donut when I was in San Francisco. For the longest time.

Vagabundo

My wife does like peanut butter, but not the american kind. American food seem packed with unnecessary sugars. She likes this stuff:

product_3076_large.jpg

Vagabundo

I've tried it before, but if I'm going savory I'd much rather a cheese and ham sandwich TBH. Or just Toast and Irish butter. Irish butter tastes amazing. I've been around, none better.

Pallad1um

I'm European and I love peanut butter! Although I'm the only one in my household who enjoys the thing. More for me, I guess.

One problem it has is the price. At least in Portugal, its way too expensive - the ones I've bought cost between 3.50 and 4€. For comparison, Nutella cost me slightly less than 3€, and its 400 grams jar, while the PB is 340 grams.

Other reason is that people prefer sandwiches with ham and cheese, for example, not jelly/ jam. When people do eat jam its normally on a single slice of bread, so there's really no need for more than a thing. And peanut butter isn't as great eaten solo.

Also, its kind of hard to buy a thing that isn't advertised. I've always felt curious, seeing PB mentioned frequently on American shows, but didn't even knew I could buy it here. Only by chance I stumbled on it.

Found this quality stuff in the cupboard, tried a but and it doesn't taste too bad

ahhh the basics range. Surprisingly some of the Basics stuff is pretty good (same actual product but rebranded). However some is utter trash.

Anyway my wife loves peanut butter and also loves reeces pieces. When we went on holiday to the states last year she couldn't get enough peanutty goodness.

Me however, I don't hate it... but I don't really like it either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom