• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro-GAF: explain yourself! (peanut butter)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tc91

Fun fact: they changed the name to giraffe bread in England after a little girl complained it looked more like a giraffe, than a tiger...

giraffebread.jpg

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...e-Bread-following-advice-from-3-year-old.html

Hahaha. Awesome.

Love that bread as well.

Peanuts and peanut snacks are very common for like parties or when you watch TV in the evening so the thought of putting something that tastes like peanut on my bread for breakfast always felt wrong to me. Obviously a cultural difference because thers nothing wrong with peanut taste per se.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
If Americans call jam jelly then what do they call jelly?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fruit_preserves#Jam

The two varieties are separate. Though I usually use jam when making a sandwich with peanut butter, "peanut butter and jelly sandwich" is the common name for it. I suppose you could say "peanut butter and jam sandwich" if you are using jam, but that becomes needlessly complicated and doesn't sound correct (to my ears) anyway

I prefer peanut butter and banana sandwiches to PB&J, but I find a Nutella sandwich superior to both.

For me, fluff & peanut butter and PB&J were most appealing during childhood.

RanoNL

I can recommend cucumber with peanut butter

Serve it either as a snack (cucumber slices with peanut butter on top) or as a salad!

(be sure to get the crunchy kind!)

Add bits of chicken filet and kokos sprinkles for some extra magic. Spice it up with Sambal if you're a spicy type.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
because in the netherlands we have this

but that is peanut butter. probably just don't buy it from americans. And then call it 'peanut cheese' for no good reason other than to rhyme it with helaas (as far as I can tell)

FillerB

but that is peanut butter. probably just don't buy it from americans. And then call it 'peanut cheese' for no good reason other than to rhyme it with helaas (as far as I can tell)

The reason we call it "pindakaas" because "pindaboter" sounds stupid. Also Calvé Pindakaas is on a whole other level than any American peanut butter I ever tasted.

Y-Z

I love me some peanut butter! But i won't put jam in it, seems disgusting i always frown upon american sitcoms etc mentioning it.

Arjen

I'm a terrible dutchie because i hate pindakaas, the smell alone makes me want to vomit.
I prefer meat on my sandwitches ham/salami/turkey/chicken/ filet american.
And cheese, lots and lots of cheese.

The Lamp

Omg you Europeans need to be educated on the marvels of peanut butter. Nutella is damn weird to put with jelly because it's sweet. The salty, and peanut taste of peanut butter is what complements jelly in a sandwich. Jam with cheese? What? You poor guys are desperate to find the right complement to your jelly sandwiches so you put cheese. I'm so sorry :(

Next time you make a fruit smoothie with banana, and ice, and strawberry, put a spoonful of peanut butter in. It'll blow your mind. You're welcome.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Salty PB, not unlike crunchy one, is only fit for animal consumption.

May aswell start chomping on rotting turnips, you brutes.

ZiggyRoXx

Banned
Oh god no. Never in a million years will i eat American "cheese"

Funny thing is, I've been watching 'America's greatest sandwich' on the food network, and they make these really nice looking sandwiches with proper,real European cheeses (cheddars, blues,Bries,Edams..etc,etc) then they'll come to the 'American cheese' and sound really,really proud of it,as it flops about in their hand and gets slapped on top of the real stuff..

..I cringe.

-KRS-

Hey, I'm doing my part at least. I ate peanut butter just yesterday. It's hard to find one that I like though, since because the market isn't that big here they don't import a lot of different brands. And even the ones they do import are sometimes removed again because no one buys them. I used to always buy Mississippi Bell's crunchy peanut butter because it was both creamy and had big pieces of peanuts with a good salt ratio, but I can't find that anywhere anymore. When I asked someone in the store they said that the reseller had stopped stocking it. :(

The only one you usually see here (in Sweden) is Skippy, the creamy variant. I fucking hate Skippy though. It's too salty. I don't have jam (jelly), or anything, on my peanut butter sandwiches though. I like the peanut taste and I don't want to dillude it, but most brands have too much salt.

But yeah none of my friends, or really anyone I know buy or eat peanut butter, so I'm not surprised that it's not going well.

I hate Nutella btw. Used to like it but it's just too sugary for me these days.

Almond Butter > Cashew Butter > Peanut Butter >>>>>>>>>>>Nutella

I'm American and this comes direct from the beak of the majestic bald eagle.

-KRS-

Holy crap!...imported peanut butter in Sweden, what does that cost..$50 a jar.

Swedish prices...INSANE.

EDIT:

Or,no insult intended, confusing prices with Norway.

lol yeah norway has crazy taxes on everything, but so does Sweden although not entirely as extreme. If I remember correctly the Mississippi Bell peanut butter I bought cost me around 40 SEK, which is about $5-$6. So not quite $50 but still pretty expensive. Skippy's peanut butter is around 30 SEK. It can vary a lot depending on the store though.

CloudWolf

I love peanut butter/pindakaas. Although I don't understand people who eat it with jelly/jam. Tried it once and it was gross.

Afrikan

I eat 6 slices of bread with peanut butter EVERY SINGLE DAY.

I'm doing my part.

I used to try that... but I found my sweet spot was 5 slices of bread.

with PB&Jelly
so 3 together, right on top of each other...and the other 2 together.

with glass of 80% Tea and 20% Milk.

my momma always made it the best...when ever I tried myself, my Tea and Milk just didn't taste as good as my mother's offering...never understood why. :/

Rootbeer

Banned
I just bought some PB yesterday before seeing this thread. I go through about 1 jar per year, which I'm sure is below the american average. Nutella is really good but you can't substitute it on a lot of things where peanut butter is typically used, due to its sweetness.

So, what about this stuff?

Wd1Yw.jpg

haven't had it in many years, didn't know they had different flavors of it now. I'm tempted to try a fluff and PB sandwich, probably been a decade since I had one. But man, this stuff has to be terribad for you in every way.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Wd1Yw.jpg

haven't had it in many years, didn't know they had different flavors of it now. I'm tempted to try a fluff and PB sandwich, probably been a decade since I had one. But man, this stuff has to be terribad for you in every way.

HFCS + Egg white + vanilla flavouring.

Terrible stuff.

Strawman

Never been a fan of peanut butter - its way too sticky on the palate but slapping a load of butter on a thick slice of bread then covering the buttered side with salted peanuts is godly.

I like peanut butter and I like Nutella but I rarely eat them (and with rarely I mean maybe twice a year :p) because I don't like the idea of my breakfast and dinner being composed by a ton of calories and/or sugar so all I ever eat with bread or buns are pure jam and cheese and ham. And I don't even put regular butter or margarine on my bread and buns.

raindoc

real bread & butter uber alles
576450436-butterbrot.9.jpg

(i like PB sandwiches (no jam), but the best thing to do with it imo: blend a spoonful with some vanilla ice cream and chocolate milk into heaven.)

-KRS-

Wd1Yw.jpg

I saw these in the store the other day and was wondering what the hell I would use it for. So you just put it on bread? WTF? That seems disgusting to me. :D

Edit: Also it's weird to me that they advertise the "Artificial Flavour" on the strawberry one. Isn't that seen as a bad thing?

luso

No advertisements, in supermarkets they are hidden in some shady shelf, and no tradition of using peanuts unless as appetizer, or as a sweet such as M&M.
Roasted peanuts still int the shell are great.
Even if am I aware of its existence, and it's not bad but appears to be greasy and unhealthy, so I seldom taste it.
Also I don't eat Nutella, it's good but also very sweet. Is also linked with kiddy food.

Besides, why eat that stuff when we have butter, traditional or fresh cheese, jam and delicious charcuterie? The delicious bread or croissants (not the fake bread) must be eaten with the best stuff. I also eat cheese+ham, jam + cheese (better with fresh one). Butter and jam once in a while.

I'm terrified to know what the chocolate "sprinkles" are made of.

It is not real chocolate, of that I'm sure. I have been living in the Netherlands for almost 4 years and I can say that they have some of the lowest standards when it comes to food. Coming from Spain were we have such good food and products it is a bit depressing to be eating every day the same loaf of bread with cheese, or hageslag, or their "salads" (don't get me started on those)...

The dutch cheese is amazing though, cannot get enough of that.

FillerB

It is not real chocolate, of that I'm sure. I have been living in the Netherlands for almost 4 years and I can say that they have some of the lowest standards when it comes to food. Coming from Spain were we have such good food and products it is a bit depressing to be eating every day the same loaf of bread with cheese, or hageslag, or their "salads" (don't get me started on those)...

The dutch cheese is amazing though, cannot get enough of that.

Yeah, our cuisine outside of cheeses kinda sucks. When your national dish is a stew, you know you got problems.

-KRS-

I actually don't like butter anymore. I know, I know. It's weird. But it's just that as a kid I had too many buns and sandwiches and whatnot with waaay too much butter on and that has made me dislike it in my adult years. Now when I taste that salty buttery flavor I just want to throw up. Even if it's melted. That might also be why I prefer peanut butter with less pronounced salt flavor.

migulic

I actually don't like butter anymore. I know, I know. It's weird. But it's just that as a kid I had too many buns and sandwiches and whatnot with waaay too much butter on and that has made me dislike it in my adult years. Now when I taste that salty buttery flavor I just want to throw up. Even if it's melted. That might also be why I prefer peanut butter with less pronounced salt flavor.

Maybe you should try unsalted butter?

-KRS-

Yeah but with butter specifically, it's mostly the actual taste of butter that makes me nauseous, but the salt doesn't help matters. Nowadays I usually only buy that "butter" which they make out of rapeseed oil instead of milk and has a bunch of omega 3 added. It doesn't taste like butter at all though and sometimes I do miss it.

Xavien

I hate the stuff, I only recently bought a jar to lure some mice into traps. But thats all i'd use it for.

Nutella, Marmite or Marmalade with butter are my bread toppings of choice.

nan0

They would probably sell more if there wasn't just one or two brands available here (Germany), and they hadn't ridiculous prices (2,50 € for 350g). It was much cheaper a couple of years ago. I still import Skippy Super Chunk from time to time, but it's even more expensive.

You poor soul.

Butter is one of my favorite things on earth, but oddly enough I don't eat it on bread. I've always thought that it ruined the texture of fresh warm bread. It's great on toast though, especially with some raspberry jam or orange marmalade.

Eric C

Wd1Yw.jpg

You know I don't think I've ever had a peanut butter and Fluff sandwich.

aGPhz.png

From what I remember Fluff was basically melted sticky marshmallow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom