• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer/CVG Rumor: Sony to have new controller for PS4; CVG: PS4 unveiling in weeks

Duxxy3

That asumes that people forwent the PS3 in favor of a 360 because of the controller. First out the gate, initial price, patriotism, friends' preference, developer support all make sense. Have you ever met anyone who bought a 360 over a PS3 for the sole reason (or even real factor) of the controller design? I certainly haven't.

My brother owns both a 360 and PS3. He uses the PS3 as a blu ray player.

He has told me the reason why he doesn't play any games on the PS3 is because of the controller. When his dual shock 3 broke (as they tend to do) he went out and bought a 3rd party controller that vaguely resembles the 360 controller.

image.php

Rich!

Of course it needs changing.

It needs the godly Vita D-Pad.

It still surprises me that no console makers have gone to Sega regarding this.

It's widely regarded as the best d-pad of all time, yet there are no controllers that use it.

The Vita D-Pad is as close as anyone has ever got. And because it's Sony made - I bet that's what the PS4 will have. I mean, it makes sense doesn't it?

VanWinkle

why is to strange that people want sony to change the worst d-pad ever existed? i would gladly take the vita one all the days of my life

That is insane. The dualshock's dpad is MILES beyond the wretched 360 dpad. At least you can always hit what you're trying to on the dualshock. What it really needs, though, is the Vita dpad, only a little bigger since it doesn't have to be on a handheld device.

Rich!

That is insane. The dualshock's dpad is MILES beyond the wretched 360 dpad. At least you can always hit what you're trying to on the dualshock. What it really needs, though, is the Vita dpad, only a little bigger since it doesn't have to be on a handheld device.

That's EXACTLY what it needs. It'll be absolutely brilliant.

Orayn

The DualShock d-pad is passable, but a clicky, one-piece d-pad like the Vita's would be an upgrade. While they're at it, the face buttons could be a little snappier. Microswitch them, or make them like the Classic Controller Pro's!

The DualShock d-pad is passable, but a clicky, one-piece d-pad like the Vita's would be an upgrade. While they're at it, the face buttons could be a little snappier. Microswitch them, or make them like the Classic Controller Pro's!

It's possible they could drop the pressure sensitive face buttons finally as a DS3 could probably be used for any B/C if it exists.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
If they get rid of any buttons already there, I will flip my shit.

If they try and trade L3/R3 for some touchscreen bullshit... I will flip my shit.

MAX PAYMENT

If you love the dualshock, you must have baby hands. I look at some of you all differently now that I have confirmed you have baby hands.

I could see the new controller being bundled with the console but games that don't make great use of new features like touch controls and biometric stuff (if those are indeed what the new features are) still supporting the DualShock.

VanWinkle

If you love the dualshock, you must have baby hands. I look at some of you all differently now that I have confirmed you have baby hands.

Nope. Very large hands and it's extremely comfortable. I love the dualshock but I'm not close-minded to a new design at all.

Wynnebeck

Banned
This has me worried but as long as they keep the DS3 around to use also, no problems. Also, lol to everyone who keeps saying the Dualshock is the worst controller. Not even close.

He has told me the reason why he doesn't play any games on the PS3 is because of the controller. When his dual shock 3 broke (as they tend to do) he went out and bought a 3rd party controller that vaguely resembles the 360 controller.

What? Ive got two that are 6 years old and still working fine.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
This actually completely killed my next gen Sony hype. Nintendo lost me with the Wii and if Sony goes the gimmick route I'm done with them too.

TriGen

I'm looking forward to this (especially if I can use the DS3 if this doesn't turn out great). I like the DS, but the damn thing is too small. I don't have much of an opinion on analog placement (both the DS and 360 are fine), but the size of the controller and the shoulders bugged me a bit. Biometrics being involved also would be neat.

As for CVG -- they are usually pretty great at reporting, so this also makes me feel like a pre-GDC reveal for the PS4 is possible. A matter of weeks, not months would be a little under 8 weeks, so a potential March reveal like GI suggested is possible. That would allow devs to hype things up a bit at GDC.

televator

Do like the Vita and remove the space separating the directional buttons, fix those slippy triggers, and increase the length of the grips for folks with King Kong hands. Those should be at the top of the list. I hope analog buttons stay.

~ZIO~

Neo Member
Sources told CVG Sony has tested new controllers with biometric sensors on the grips and an LCD touch-screen.

You don't say?

If they decide to go that route, they'll place themselves in the same "problem" Nintendo did with their Wii U. Sacrificing more power for something more unique. They would be giving the consumers a less powerful machine than they are anticipating. THAT, or they will release the machine as how people want it to be and do as they did with the PS3 and charge a premium for it. Why not? People buy Playstation consoles on brand alone, right?

VanWinkle

Do your thumbs not collide on the joysticks? Every time mine do it hits my gag reflex.

Playing call of duty is like this for me
barf1.gif

No. I don't want to say you're holding it wrong, but you may want to rework your position lol. the bottom curves of my thumbs go on the analog sticks, not the body of the thumb. I tried it that way just not and my thumbs do hit, but I've never used them like that.

Agreed. I love the additional screen on the Wii U controller, I mean in general the controller is pretty comfortable too, I never had any fatigue throughout my ZombiU playthrough.

I wouldn't be opposed to it, that's for sure. I loved ZombiU and the experience with the GamePad and I didn't experience any fatigue either. It may be better as an optional peripheral for cost saving reasons (where a Vita could be used in a similar way?). I would definitely be interested in a powerhouse console with a GamePad, especially after playing the Wii U.

RibMan

A new PS controller is almost as exciting as the PS4 itself!

I absolutely agree. I think the PlayStation brand will benefit tremendously from retiring the Dual Shock controller. By the sounds of the rumor, Sony is already making great decisions (Touchscreen, biometrics) for their next controller.

The key in all of this is the design of the controller. If they can make a controller that looks and feels great, then they will be in a very good position moving forward.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
It still surprises me that no console makers have gone to Sega regarding this.

It's widely regarded as the best d-pad of all time, yet there are no controllers that use it.

Frogger on XBLA is the only use I've had this generation for the d-pad.

MAX PAYMENT

No. I don't want to say you're holding it wrong, but you may want to rework your position lol. the bottom curves of my thumbs go on the analog sticks, not the body of the thumb. I tried it that way just not and my thumbs do hit, but I've never used them like that.
I try to keep my thumbs relaxed instead of forcibly bent. If they're relaxed and straight, they ran into each other.

Finally. Not a fan of the dual shock. Basing on the 360 except with a screen and a good d-pad would be an easy win, but it would also be interesting if they get more creative.

DBT85

Having been playing a game for the last 4 hours that requires me to have my index and fuck you fingers hovering over the shoulder buttons at all times, I NEED a redesigned controller. It was uncomfortable.

Typically I hold the DS3 with my fuck you finger under the body, and only my index fingers over the shoulders.

Being able to use the DS3 on the PS4 will be important though I think.

I prefer the Dual Shock design as I am used to it, the 360 controller feels bulky to me in comparison. I am super interested in what game designers can do with the vitality sensor thing though. Having your experience changed based on how excited you are seems like a great way to enhance user experience. It will work great for survival horror games too.

Orayn

Can any large-handed people who find DualShock comfortable post pictures of how you hold it? It's beyond me.

Bert

I'd like something like the split controller patent but for each segment to be better fitted to the hand and smaller or no light balls. If you want a touchscreen id like to see the ability to snap the parts to a one size fits all phone grip so I'm not shelling out for another screen.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The reaction to some of these controller topics is always amusing. I can agree that the 360 feels much better in your hands but let's not act as if the DS3 cripples you. It works just fine and has some better attributes but the form factor is not pleasing to hold for as long as the 360 pad is.

Tilian

Banned
Is it crazy to hope that Sony will allow the DualShock3 to still register on the PS4 (simple bluetooth stuff, yeah?), thus giving us a choice between both controllers? The new controller will come packaged with the system, so what's to loose by offering BC?

I like the idea of choice and experimenting with both controllers for different games.

B.O.O.M

Dynamic difficulty based on player stress, whether that means making the game harder when a player loses their cool, or easing up on someone who's getting legitimately frustrated.

Mood stuff, detecting tension.

I see the makers of Journey and games light on gameplay making ample use of this kind of stuff. Heavy Rain devs too. I see most of it not being explicit or heavily influential, but additive and peripheral in its uses.

I see. Very interesting tech. Would love to see how they would implement these in the first party games

Top Bottom