• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer editor is teasing a top, top secret "thing" (reveal)

I'm not sure why people are more excited (and expect more) about Halo 4 than about the next Bungie project.

One thing is about the milking of a strong franchise, the other one is about the people who made that franchise strong in the first place, now working to a new thing with full creative freedom.

I'm really looking forward to both, but a few rather obvious answers to your question:

- Halo is huge
- we've seen more of Halo 4 and it's a somewhat known quantity while Bungie's next game isn't
- it marks the return of Master Chief, one of gaming's most popular characters, after five years of absence
- it finally continues the Halo story which, yes, many people care about
- Bungie's next game is rumored to be going in the MMOFPS direction which isn't to everyone's liking
- people are afraid of Activision's influence on Bungie's game and that full creative freedom that you mention; it is supposed to be a (hugely) profitable ten year project, after all
- 343i houses a lot of serious game development talent and people are curious about their first game
- we have to pretend for Frankie's sake

By the way, "milking" has negative connotations so I wouldn't really apply it to Halo as all games released so far (and over the last few years there have been less Halo games than new entries in some far less popular franchises) have been great or at least very good.

wwm0nkey

I'm not sure why people are more excited (and expect more) about Halo 4 than about the next Bungie project.

One thing is about the milking of a strong franchise, the other one is about the people who made that franchise strong in the first place, now working to a new thing with full creative freedom.

Ok well first of all there is one good reason people are excited about Halo 4 over the new Bungie project (Destiny)....WE DO NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE NEW BUNGIE GAME. People like Halo (myself included) and while I am sure a lot of people are hyped for Destiny we do not know what to expect from it also the swan song that was Halo: Reach was not exactly a great game so that probably killed a few peoples hype for Destiny.

Also please do not throw "milking" around like that, Halo still had a story to tell after the events of Halo 3, if there is still a good strong story to tell and fans still want to explore the universe and story of that game then I do not see how its milking.

RPGCrazied

Kingdom Hearts 3? :(

I fear once the 3DS game is done, they will make something for Vita. I guess we can forget a console KH.

mclaren777

TimeSplitters 4?

That's the first thing I thought of too. And I would go bananas if it was anything like TS2.

i1LAwe3ki6GnY.png

D_prOdigy

We don't think Crytek UK is currently big enough to do both Homefront 2 and T4, do we?

Unless...

Iwata said:
Several new, previously unconsidered alliances/partnerships with third parties.

:O

But no, it won't be that.

GhaleonEB

Good thread title update, I was confused yesterday when I read the tweets and then all the games being speculated. Still thinking it's the UE4 tech demo.

spanks

There's so much new stuff to parody since Timesplitters FP. Levels that should be in TS4:
Duke Chimpem Forever
Chimpshock
Chimp Warfare
Deus Chimp: Monkey Revolution
Chimp Island

They should ditch the bald guy and focus on the chimps.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I asked all my sources and they all said it's a 60 hour gaming perfection shooter campaign for Half-Life 3 and the graphics are so amazing everyone in the theatre cried and the gameplay is so original and astouding some of the audiance couldn't even understand how it existed at all. Also it isn't coming to consoles until several generations from now because current and foreseeable closed paltforms don't exist in the same time/space continuum to play the game.

NEO0MJ

I asked all my sources and they all said it's a 60 hour gaming perfection shooter campaign for Half-Life 3 and the graphics are so amazing everyone in the theatre cried and the gameplay is so original and astouding some of the audiance couldn't even understand how it existed at all. Also it isn't coming to consoles until several generations from now because current and foreseeable closed paltforms don't exist in the same time/space continuum to play the game.

Damn. Well, might as well close this thread now that we know what it is.

217537272_RkWpE-L-2.jpg

THE:MILKMAN

Educated guess. Don't think the press has actually seen that one yet, though.

The only reason I asked was I was trying to be a clever dick!

Looking at Johnny Minkley's twitter, I saw he was enjoying a holiday? at center parcs. They just happen to have one such parc in Nottingham where Crytek UK are based.

I added 2+2 and got 5.............As usual.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Super Mario 128 for Wii U? Nah, I don't know what this could be, though a lot of things like suggested Half-Life 3, Shenmue III and others certainly would make the Internet go bananas. It would be nice if Johnny could provide us perhaps not with an exact date this thing will be revealed, but if it's connected to an event like GDC.

There are so many potential announcements that could cause the internet to blow up I can't even try to speculate when they might be teasing. Personally I'm hoping for Timesplitters 4 or Starwars Battlefront 3.

It'll probably be a new IP that doesn't excite us at all. I'm sorry but past events lead me to believe gaming journalists don't know much about what we'll go "bananas" over.

Fur_Q

Tic Tac Toe hooked up to Iranian servers at there nuclear enrichment plant. "Are you a bad enough dude to destroy the planet"

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
When did it become OK for enthusiast press to act as studio PR? Why is that OK?

Just who exactly is he acting as studio PR for? There really isn't even the slightest of clues as to what he was wowed by, just that there is some "thing" he was wowed by.

I'm with the others who think it's a Sony thing, probably a new God of War title.

Although if it was a Sony thing, I'm hoping it's a thorough look at Tokyo Jungle including an announcement of a release in the US. That'd be bananas.

Top Bottom