• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer Expo 2013 is this month! - September 26th-29th

dose

You're given two vouchers and they're only valid for one game each.

Voucher 1:
Killzone: Shadow Fall
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
FIFA 14
Driveclub
Knack

Voucher 2:
Blacklight: Retribution
Hohokum
Octodad
Resogun
War Thunder
Warframe
How does this work then? You queue up for the PS4, get two vouchers and only get to see two of those games? Can you stay in the PS4 area as long as you want?

Wunder

Still in the queue, about 12 people playing at a time, maybe 10 minutes a session?

I can at least see gameplay now though. Like many have said at PAX and E3, looks like the game is padded with bots.

winstano

How does this work then? You queue up for the PS4, get two vouchers and only get to see two of those games? Can you stay in the PS4 area as long as you want?

Yeah, you can stay in the area as long as you want, but you can only (theoretically) play 2 games, one from each side of the voucher at a time, if you want to play more you have to queue again.

The big games (Assassin's, Killzone, Driveclub, FIFA) they were pretty hot on taking the vouchers off you, but there were demo stations dotted around and I didn't get my voucher taken off me when I played Resogun

Omikaru

I had an amazing day yesterday, but sadly it was my only day at EG Expo.

My highlight of the day was probably Volume. I was one of the first people to play it, and I had a long chat with Mike Bithell about it afterwards. We talked a lot about the game, its level editor, my mad MGS2 skills (Big Boss rank -- he was sufficiently impressed :p). The only disappointment is that he probably won't let us import textures into the level editor (so we're stuck in the abstract VR stuff). In his words, it's because, "I don't want cocks in my game." Lol.

Mike is lovely, and his game looks awesome. If anyone here likes MGS1 or MGS2, I highly recommend checking it out and buying it in the future.

Jordan

In the queue for Titanfall, it's going to be a long one. Only moved once in the past 20 minutes and my phone is running out of battery!

I'm just by the assassins creed stand waiting in this queue. Been told it was like three hours from where I am!

Wunder

I'm just by the assassins creed stand waiting in this queue. Been told it was like three hours from where I am!

Yup, I just rounded the corner after being in the queue for about an hour+ and there's a whole section of people waiting. I'll be here till 7 me thinks

My GF made a dick hat haha
She's a keeper!

tumblr_m66udwrFRV1rt9k4no1_500.gif

Shane

Queue for PS4 area must be at two hours. Then there's wait for the individual games. Think I'll be done ready after this.

AHA-Lambda

Btw, can I say personally speaking, the Xbox one lineup is poor.

Dead rising 3 is a theatre demo only (same as watch dogs, seriously wtf?)
TitanFall is on PC with 360 controllers.
And nothing else interest me :-/

TJUK

Neo Member
I was at the show yesterday and played:

• Forza 5 - got in the queue as soon as the floor opened and was playing within 5 minutes.
  • Driveclub & Resogun - we queued for about 1 hour 20 mins to get into the PS4 area. I was pleasantly surprised by Driveclub. Definitely want to play more if it. It does need some more post-process effect and anti-aliasing but probably its an old build.
  • Watched Dan Greenwalt's Forza 5 developer session.
  • Lunch
  • Titanfall - we queued for about 2 hours 30 minutes to play. Only 16 terminals I wish they had more. We thought about leaving the queue about half way through but I'm so glad we didn't. The hype is all true though. Titanfall is amazing fun to play. Easily my game of show. I normally don't play multiplayer shooters and I know that from talking to the other guys in the queue that they were hardcore cod and bf guys. We played in the same game and I came second on my team. So this is definitely an approachable game for non-fps people like me.
  • Oculus Rift - queued for about an hour to try it. It was running a dog fighting sim. I think this is worth trying as its something you obviously can't experience from youtube or whatever. It is a very good effect, looking around your plane cockpit, doing barrel rolls and watching the ground roll by. Pretty amazing. I did not feel sick afterwards.
  • The Crew - there was basically no queue for this by the time we got to it at around 6pm. I was left pretty underwhelmed to be honest. The graphics look OK, but nothing special. Also the demo didn't seem to have any real objectives other than small events like slaloms and stuff. The guy said that its an MMO that includes all of the USA so might be interesting. He said you could drive from one end of the country to the other with no load times.
  • Wolfenstein - queued for less that 5 mins. They have loads and load of terminals. It's hard to know how to feel about this. The gun play felt good and duel wielding assault rifles is definitely fun. The graphics looks next gen but the game play was fairly typical fps type stuff. Quite forgettable.
Can't wait for the next-gen even more now, just a shame Titanfall isn't coming to PS4 since that is my console of choice, at least in the first year.

Shane

Nearly in the PS4 area. Played KI before and the hands-on time was short.

Will write proper previews later. Then a victory curry once they're submitted.

Titanfall was fantastic. Best comparison was that rush from playing COD4 for the first time.

Muppety

In case anybody didn't know, Dead Rising 3 is actually playable, not a theatre demo. Came away pleasantly surprised by that!

dose

Remember you need photo ID.
Mine's at the visa office. Whoopsie, indeed. Going to pick it up tomorrow.

You need photo ID to get in??

Yeah, you can stay in the area as long as you want, but you can only (theoretically) play 2 games, one from each side of the voucher at a time, if you want to play more you have to queue again.

The big games (Assassin's, Killzone, Driveclub, FIFA) they were pretty hot on taking the vouchers off you, but there were demo stations dotted around and I didn't get my voucher taken off me when I played Resogun
Aces, ta.

eeez

Neo Member
Mixed feelings from my visit yesterday (thursday).

Got early-bird ticket and heard about the COD prestige giveaway. Went straight there, and there wasn't a huge queue. After an hour of moving glacially slowly, we were handed a voucher for the prestige edition. At which point we we could hardly leave, and ended up queuing for 3 damn hours. Played COD on XB1 - 2 maps which seemed a little too large for 6v6. Game looked good and played as expected. Game mode was very bland (run into/defend arbitrary circular area), and XB1 controller had an enormous deadzone that precluded small movements. So, got a very nice freebie, but it took half my day (the quieter half), and ruined my chances to play a lot of the other games there.

There is a moral to that story. Anyway some random other impressions:

BF4 on XB1 kept crashing - waited for 30 mins but the game was only playable for 30 seconds before black-screening (cue groans from the patient queuers). Bailed on that and went to titanfall, 2hr wait was predicted and I couldn't face it at this point. There were about a dozen other big games I would have loved to have played but the waits were just biblical. So it was indies, retro, PC games for me.

Play Assassins Creed 4 on PC. Looked and played really well.

Was impressed by NVIDIA shield. Ran remote PC game (XCOM bureau) without any appreciable lag.

Tearaway was good, though the bit I played relied too much on tapping the rear pad of the vita.

Didn't get to play on a single PS4, which was my main reason for going. Bah! Next year will plan on going more days.

I managed to play more than I was meant to yesterday after kindly asking if I could play both killzone and driveclub and managed to sneak in play of some others also

Driveclub impressions were not as great as expected, the graphics did not look as good as in those recent videos the other week, maybe it was an old build, could not tell if it was 60 or 30fps so I guess that is a good thing

Played Killzone and no longer want it, the muzzle flash is ridiculous, can not see anything when you are firing a gun at someone, well that was the case for me anyway, hopefully GG sort this out, you could say BF and COD have no muzzle flash if comparing them to killzone, I was looking forward to killzone, but not now

Played knack quickly, had no idea what to do haha, looked fun though

Oh and great news, well for me haha, I was one of the first 500 to win the COD give away

Alchemist

You queue up, get the two vouchers, then queue again for the individual games. The reps ask for your voucher before you can play so no pulling a fast one.

Not sure about how long you can stay in area. I left as soon I finished playing Killzone. They have Resogun stations in the Virgin Media booth and Assassin's Creed upstairs (Naval mission, more stations).

Shane

Killzone was underwhelming. Quite bored by the end of the first round. Motion blur-a-rama. Dualshock 4 is an improvement.

Yeah you can watch others play but you only get hands on with two games, or you can queue up again for another voucher. I was with my gf so we got four vouchers between us. Just don't waste it on Octodad - you can play that at a kiosk outside the PS4 section anyway. Same for Resogun IIRC.
Killzone was underwhelming. Quite bored by the end of the first round. Motion blur-a-rama. Dualshock 4 is an improvement.

I think the motion-blur was mostly down to those shitty Sony LCDs they were using (HX853?). Everything had motion blur-a-rama at the expo actually, because everything was using sodding LCDs. Was so nice to get back to my VT65 last night :)

I agree DualShock 4 was definitely an improvement over DS3. I think the XB1's controller's demise is greatly over-exaggerated, but I still prefer the 360 controller to either.

EDIT: Talking of LCDs, it was a fucking crime that almost the entire retro area had consoles hooked up to LCDs!! There were only 3 or 4 retro games/consoles hooked up to CRTs and the difference was clear to see. Retro consoles need to be played on CRTs, period.

Shane

I think the motion-blur was mostly down to those shitty Sony LCDs they were using (HX853?). Everything had motion blur-a-rama at the expo actually, because everything was using sodding LCDs. Was so nice to get back to my VT65 last night :)

The game crashed a few times and on one freeze I could see all the motion blur like a skin over every texture but the gun (which appeared immune to most lighting effects). Don't think it was the TV in this instance.

.I agree DualShock 4 was definitely an improvement over DS3. I think the XB1's controller's demise is greatly over-exaggerated, but I still prefer the 360 controller to either.

Definitely. The old 360 controller still beats it.

dose

Says so on the ticket but they never asked anyone in the end.
That's good ;)
You queue up, get the two vouchers, then queue again for the individual games. The reps ask for your voucher before you can play so no pulling a fast one.

Not sure about how long you can stay in area. I left as soon I finished playing Killzone. They have Resogun stations in the Virgin Media booth and Assassin's Creed upstairs (Naval mission, more stations).

Yeah you can watch others play but you only get hands on with two games, or you can queue up again for another voucher. I was with my gf so we got four vouchers between us. Just don't waste it on Octodad - you can play that at a kiosk outside the PS4 section anyway. Same for Resogun IIRC.
Cheers guys, ta for the info. Looking forward to it (but not the queues).

Shane

Done for the day. Bunch of preview articles to write now. Tomorrow is Indie games.

Titanfall is the best I've played so far this weekend. Shame there'll be a train of negativity about it because it keeps gaining attention. It demo'd so damn well and isn't out until Spring 2014. Refreshing change.

Might come to the UK GAF meet up tomorrow and say hello.

Shane

Tip: in the Virgin Media area there are three PS4s with Knack, Resogun and Octodad. Not many people have noticed them. Will try and take advantage of that tomorrow.

AHA-Lambda

Another day done, Oculus was definitely the highlight, so cool :D

Managed to get a pic of David Cage as he was signing games, I didn't have any with me though :(

I'll post impressions of games later, on my phone :/

if you don't want to queue for ages to try the Oculus Rift then there is a lone dude in the Retro section showing off his dungeon demo.

Done for the day. Bunch of preview articles to write now. Tomorrow is Indie games.

Titanfall is the best I've played so far this weekend. Shame there'll be a train of negativity about it because it keeps gaining attention. It demo'd so damn well and isn't out until Spring 2014. Refreshing change.

Might come to the UK GAF meet up tomorrow and say hello.

What website do you write for?

Caode

What's the general consensus among everyone who's managed to play Knack there so far?

I'm still on the fence about picking it up at launch.

Top Bottom