• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer Expo 2013 is this month! - September 26th-29th

ekim

Looks like no videos/photos for BF4 :
BVFPMFmCYAE2lRw.jpg:large

(c) https://twitter.com/jack_xboxone/status/383174512574885888/photo/1

Rain - very cool stealth game. The cutscenes are very British syorybook. The effects are brilliant looking, when you can go invisible and only see your footsteps without the rain.

Hohokum - pretty fucking cool, third stage in clouds, made everyone get their kites out. The way you interact with the world and get things done without it feeling obvious is a beautiful feeling. Encourages experimentation. Pure joy, had me smiling a lot.

Octodad - funniest game to play. Kept on slapping wife with the ring.

Velocity - top down spaceship and 2D side scroller. Love the angular art style. Controls feel great. Got stuck on teledashing past Voth. Rescuing survivors, don't go too far ahead.

Volume - very hard and unique stealth game. Played this for 40 min. This could be the new Gunpoint. Although didn't like that when you die and respawn, the enemies can still be close (world state doesnt restart) and you have to remain absolutely still.

Thanks, mate. These all sound great. Love those PS downloadable games.

Lol at the people playing Wolfenstein The New Order like CoD. I played it dual wielding, no ADS, and not staying in fucking cover! You need to go over dead bodies to pick up health and armour, so always be moving!

60fps so good. PC build, 360 controller.

Music was fantastic, definitely that Starbreeze metal gothic edge. Casual difficulty is no joke "believe me, keep it at the default difficulty" the handler said. Little laser dot becomes bigger for headshot like Starbreeze games. Cover system is same as previous Starbreeze games. Everything feels fucking fantastic, the shooting is top-notch. CAN I HAVE THIS NOW?!

Also, one nice attention to detail. There are 2 knife stances, one for stealth behind the hand and the other for assault to just go stabbing everyone. Not much chance for stealth in this demo, though.

Was utterly disappointed by PS4 booth, so-so on the XB1 games and blown away by the beauty and slickness of the Nintendo first party games. Was expecting the opposite, I'll report more later but my biggest surprise was how awful Knack is. Choppy as hell frame rate, clunky gameplay.

Really didnt fancy that queue for TitanFall!

AGoodODST

Was utterly disappointed by PS4 booth, so-so on the XB1 games and blown away by the beauty and slickness of the Nintendo first party games. Was expecting the opposite, I'll report more later but my biggest surprise was how awful Knack is. Choppy as hell frame rate, clunky gameplay.

Mario Kart 8 was there right? Impressions?

mrklaw

MrArseFace

what nintendo stuff did you see? Did they have Mario Kart 8 and Super Mario 3D world?

shame on the next gen boxes - did you manage to see Fifa on PS4?

Audioboxer

I had no signal basically all day, hard to try meet you guys. Good first day, my GF won 3rd place in the cosplay event as Ameterasu.

Is the meet up tomorrow?

suedester

Banned
Had fun today. Spent most of the morning in the PS4 booth. Killzone MP was excellent along with Resogun. And man dat controller is so good. Just feels perfect in your hands. Can't wait to get a hold of the thing at home. Resogun was definitely playing on what appeared to be final hardware. See my poor picture below

King_Moc

Banned
I'm there Saturday. Unless loads of people have also done it, i'll post some detailed (and possibly alcohol infused) impressions of what i played.

Audioboxer

Had fun today. Spent most of the morning in the PS4 booth. Killzone MP was excellent along with Resogun. And man dat controller is so good. Just feels perfect in your hands. Can't wait to get a hold of the thing at home. Resogun was definitely playing on what appeared to be final hardware. See my poor picture below

Yeah the controller is great. I sucked at Resogun, real change from SSHD. Still surprised at the size of the PS4 and especially the camera addon.

Hardly anyone commented on my #PS4NoDRM tshirt. Think most of the hardcore really do live on GAF haha.

Stuart444

I thought Knack and Resogun were very fun. I also played LR:FFXIII which I enjoyed a lot and FFXHD which was good but had some freezes and framerate issues which need taken care of before release.

Tomorrow I plan on trying the oculus rift and dark souls 2

Now going back home from Eurogamer Expo. Went to play Wolfenstein a 2nd time, this time got to hold the laser cutter weapon. Machinegames should seriously put out this demo soon.

Dying Light was meh. The parkour is excellent, so is the ability to dragon kick (jump + kick) zombies, but the zombies are as dull enemies as you could ever have. For being played on Xbox One, it just felt like a high res PC game.

Finished with Tearaway, which was a pure delight. The pop up aesthetic is really well-realised and figures into gameplay rather than just another cute art style. Longer than expected demo. Quite challenging with the rear touch stuff. Most fun I've had with a touch-heavy game since Nintendogs. Vita system seller for me personally! Staff put a cute hat on my head. Had the coolest booth.

If you're wondering why people didn't post here, its because of a shite network and no place to charge phones.

Took a bunch of pics that I'll post later.

Audioboxer

Me and my GF both made it into the next round of the 1500 to 1 super pass competition. 100 people did. It's now a pinball competition tomorrow :-( Virtual pinball I'd have a chance, not real pinball!

wotta

I wrote my impressions on the first day on ShopTo News but since it's banned so can't post link to my article, I guess it's ok to quote here?

The UK is known for its love of standing in a queue, which is just as well because this year's Eurogamer Expo is bigger than ever and quite frankly packed no matter which way you look. Unfortunately for me, I'm unlike most British people in that I hate queues, so when I arrived at Eurogamer Expo and was ushered underground, before being asked to walk to the back of what looked like a mile long queue I was all ready to turn home again.

Thankfully I knew our other writer Ash was about somewhere near the front, which when I got there just happened to be amongst the crowd of people in the foyer. Luckily for me Ash is about 8 foot tall, so it wasn't too hard to spot him in the crowd. Having got his attention we had a chat and when the security guard wasn't looking I magically appeared on the other side of the barrier. That was one problem solved. The next twenty minutes didn't seem so long now when I think back to that other queue and besides, there was some entertainment to be had. Perhaps the highlight of this was when the American Security guard was trying to get people's attention and a few people shouted shut up, but the prize has to go to one smarty pants who shouted "Let Jesus Speak," which was the cue for the hold crowd to start chanting "Jesus, Jesus." I have to admit that this brought a smile to my face.

Anyway, twenty minutes went by and the floodgates on the showfloor opened. I knew most people were heading for Call of Duty since the first 500 to play got a free Prestige Edition, so I too the opportunity to head over to the PS4, which was quite empty by comparison. One of the first things that caught my eye at Sony's booth was the Dualshock 4, I've never held one in my hands before, but it's true what they say about how light it feels, oh and those triggers... well just you wait. The only thing that did confuse me about the DS4 was the lack of a start or select button, but I soon got used to it. As for the touchpad? Well it feels great, although I didn't find a use for it in any of the demos I played.

As for the games, I got around five minutes on each, the first being the PS4 version of FIFA 14. I have to say that I did notice some differences straight away, although mostly in the visuals as the gameplay seems pretty much identical. What did stand out most to me was the crowds, as you are now able to make out loads of different individuals, rather than the PS3 version's blur of heads. The action on the pitch looks a lot sharper too, with every detail clear for the eye to see. It's hard enough to tell the difference between FIFA versions (i.e 12, 13, 14) at the best of times, so although there may be more to this version than meets the eye, I didn't see it.

Next up for me was Drive Club and it's gorgeous. I'm not a big racing fan but it seems to me that Evolution Studios have got a lot right here. Things didn't start out too well for me here as the PS Eye decided to take my photo, or at least a photo of my knee, which prompted me to stand up quickly, emptying the contents of my bag over the floor and try to pose in a rather unnatural position. I eventually got my face into the frame, before a helpful PlayStation staffer came up and move the camera angle to a more natural position. How stupid did I feel? Anyway, having done my Yoga poses for the day, I managed to get around four laps in Drive Club. The handling seems pretty good, with it only taking me two laps of crashing into walls before I got the hang of it. Playing around with the DualShock 4, I also noticed plenty of different camera angles for the driving connoisseur, with a behind camera option, dashboard view and more. Again it's quite hard to get a great judgement of a game with such a small playthrough, but it feels good and is definitely on my launch day radar.

The next game I tried out was Super Stardust HD sequel, Resogun. If you loved everything about Super Stardust then you'll love this. It's a simple game which takes place on a 3D sphere, with enemies coming at you from the left and right, with you simply having to manoeuvre your ship to take them down. I had a good play of this one, although I was interrupted by a separate PlayStation Staffer who asked me for my early access ticket. "What?" I thought to myself, before informing him that someone else had collected it. Had I jumped the queue again? Anyway, Resogun is a very additive little shooter and even better, it's free for those on PS Plus. Bargain.

The final game on my list was one I was actually looking forward to the most - Knack. Now I know most people will probably ignore this one, but to me it's different. Looking at the line-up all the games there are plenty we have seen before, whereas Knack reminds me of Xbox 360 launch title, Kameo, which is still one of my favourite 360 releases to date. Knack is an interesting title, although the demo didn't offer too much it gave me an idea of what to expect. First off, the game looks great for children and is just as simple to get to grips with. The whole idea of the demo I played was to smash the enemies by jumping up and crowning them in the head. As you do this their armour falls to pieces, leaving them open for attack. Some enemies use ranged weapons which makes things a little harder, while you'll also come up against various traps which are set off by pressure plates. As you go through the levels, you'll find special chests, which when smashed allow Knack to grow bigger and bigger, while you can also find special crystals which change his form. I've only played five minutes of Knack, but it's already my most anticipated game of the PS4 launch line up.

So there we go. You've been part of my Eurogamer Expo experience so far. I hope you are enjoying it as much as me.

Keasar

Any pictures of the Indie Arcade? The game I am working on, Cloudbuilt, is there and I would love to see what the area is like.

Roughly how long are the queues for the PS4?

Long enough for me not to bother with anyway. Assassins Creed IV was on the PS4 though so I got the feel of the controller. The touch-pad actually presses down. I didn't know that.

I might go to the PS4 straight away tomorrow, to get a proper try. Same with the Xbone (I have a superpass, an hour early in.) Was going to go to Watch_Dogs, but the queue was huge, so maybe another day.

The Vita is also £140 there with right promotion, so there's a heads-up for you.

AHA-Lambda

I'll post more detailed impressions later, cos I'm on my phone but I'll say it "I have seen TitanFall."

If you want to see it do it first thing, I waited 2 hours but it was the best thing I saw today. I really enjoyed it. But tbh , many games I played today aren't the sort that demo well in this sort of environment, like Hotline Miami 2 or Dark Souls 2.

Tomorrow I'll tackle the ps4 and oculus rift.

Oh and I win the CoD prestige edition! :D

Edit: other highlights worth mentioning

- people taking the piss out if that dickhead head steward as we came in.
- watching a MS rep ask for volunteers on stage for prizes, he then asks one guy to hide his PS4 fast track pass he is wearing.

Messi

I know this is sad of me to ask but has anyone tried next gen fifa? Does it look much better than current gen fifa 14.

V_Ben

Banned
Just wrote up my impressions for PSNStores, i'll post them here when they go live.

PS4 stuff was good, in parts. Knack was entertaining for the length of the demo, but no idea how they can sustain that for a whole game. The frame rate did bog all the time though, all those physics objects.

Driveclub is Project Gotham crossed with burnout paradise's multiplayer. I know, right!

Resogun is the tits.

Hohokum is currently my game of the show.

A man was wandering around with a laptop. On that laptop is a demo of the new Stanley Parable. I loved it so much. Tied with Hohokum perhaps.

That Batman Vita game? Sort of good! the 2.5d stuff is kind of odd from time to time, but the combat feels close to the console game.

If there's any games you want to know about, ask me and i'll see if i can remember if i saw them.

Back home, so pics!

The entrance
ixcThGlJDTicR.jpg

Hotline Miami 2, Luftrausers booth
iQQFM2OfchuXX.jpg

Oculus Rift (Dream, Montague's Mount)
it5Gemv8cAgcy.jpg

Velocity 2X (Vita)
ip247q1JRw0TW.jpg

Volume (Mike Bithell's new game, creator of Thomas Was Alone)
ibpCZ4X8Ndz8hn.jpg

Hohokum (PS4 controller)
ibmBHdHYana96c.jpg

Octodad Dadliest Catch (PS4 controller)
ibtoyqPzEgcm4T.jpg

Rain
ibfs1drpu0nKIE.jpg

Beyond Two Souls (there was like 20 booths, so never a problem to play)
ibc9aXPCkXb1xJ.jpg

Tearaway (best booth)
isAIqdFUWsPyU.jpg

Wolfenstein booth (that's just half of the stations visible)
i4snItFh8nYO0.jpg

ib0gYzEXeLINKc.jpg

My haul (free Destiny poster, Earthworm Jim figure, Wolfenstein TNO shirt, and cute Tearaway hat)
ib12DZQ1lDHou4.jpg

Any pictures of the Indie Arcade? The game I am working on, Cloudbuilt, is there and I would love to see what the area is like.

Wish I had taken a picture. It was quite narrow on both sides of Indie Arcade. Cloudbuilt was on 2 computers, looked really cool. Hope someone who's going tomorrow sees your request.

B.O.O.M

Now going back home from Eurogamer Expo. Went to play Wolfenstein a 2nd time, this time got to hold the laser cutter weapon. Machinegames should seriously put out this demo soon.

Dying Light was meh. The parkour is excellent, so is the ability to dragon kick (jump + kick) zombies, but the zombies are as dull enemies as you could ever have. For being played on Xbox One, it just felt like a high res PC game.

Finished with Tearaway, which was a pure delight. The pop up aesthetic is really well-realised and figures into gameplay rather than just another cute art style. Longer than expected demo. Quite challenging with the rear touch stuff. Most fun I've had with a touch-heavy game since Nintendogs. Vita system seller for me personally! Staff put a cute hat on my head. Had the coolest booth.

If you're wondering why people didn't post here, its because of a shite network and no place to charge phones.

Took a bunch of pics that I'll post later.

thanks for the impressions on Tearaway. The game sounds fantastic

Just wrote up my impressions for PSNStores, i'll post them here when they go live.

PS4 stuff was good, in parts. Knack was entertaining for the length of the demo, but no idea how they can sustain that for a whole game. The frame rate did bog all the time though, all those physics objects.

Driveclub is Project Gotham crossed with burnout paradise's multiplayer. I know, right!

Resogun is the tits.

Hohokum is currently my game of the show.

A man was wandering around with a laptop. On that laptop is a demo of the new Stanley Parable. I loved it so much. Tied with Hohokum perhaps.

That Batman Vita game? Sort of good! the 2.5d stuff is kind of odd from time to time, but the combat feels close to the console game.

If there's any games you want to know about, ask me and i'll see if i can remember if i saw them.

Did you get a chance to play Tearaway?

Alchemist

Roughly how long are the queues for the PS4?

Too long.

You're given two vouchers and they're only valid for one game each.

Voucher 1:
Killzone: Shadow Fall
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
FIFA 14
Driveclub
Knack

Voucher 2:
Blacklight: Retribution
Hohokum
Octodad
Resogun
War Thunder
Warframe

Is Battlefield 4 even the Xbox One version or is it just the PC version with Xbox One controller?

Xbox One. It looks like shit.

Spookie

Is Battlefield 4 even the Xbox One version or is it just the PC version with Xbox One controller?

Just the Xbox by the looks of it. Well thoughts!

Titanfall (PC 360 pad): I fumbled my way through this demo. Felt like it wants to be fast paced and quick but is hamstrung by controllers. You're darting around the map wall running and jumping but then have to completely kill your momentum to ADS to fight someone. Silly. That being said feels less like this grand change everyone is hyping and feels like a step in a new direction away from CoD but still wants to feel familiar to it's community.

Battlefield 4 (XBone): Hard to say about the game play we were playing the new mode which is sort of like 1 flag CTF. It forces team play which is nice weapons feel good. Hard to say anymore than that without playing the beta. But playing on the XBone I was expecting more but it looked awful, really sub par.

Assassins Creed 4 (PC): Did you play 3? Yeah more of that.

Dying Light (PC 360 Pad) : Dead Island sequel with climbing and sliding. Free running is extremely limited and combat very button mashy.

Knack (PS4): Not very fun. It reminded me a lot of Kames very much first gen, next gen game. Frame rate is choppy when there are a lot of particles on screen.

Over all thoughts on EG Expo from today: Last year was great getting there early have me lots of time to see lots of games. This year was a fucking mess- no doubt due to Activisions stupid CoD give away. We arrived at 8am to see hundreds of people in front of us already. We had to queue four times before we even began to see games. Then when we did it took EA 30 minutes to begin let people play Titanfall. With 15 minutes of that time watching PR staff playing the game. So 1 hr 30 mins later we moved on to Battlefield 4. Half of the demo stations were down causing huge queues already. We played a unsuitable map to show off the game. So soured we went back down stairs to find most queues were competing with Alton Towers for longest wait.

There simply weren't enough demo stations for the games. Good help anyone coming on Saturday. I did manage to make the most of the day in the end seeing the multiplat games due at the end of the year. But the main draws, the new consoles, have felt poorly managed.

The developer sessions this year have felt lacklustre. Watching Killzone consisted of a couple of slides, two trailers you've already seen and 20 minutes of benign questions. If you're really going to put this much effort in I'd rather they just be scrapped.

Very disappointed this year especially how last year catered for everyone. Being a PC gamer I felt I should have stayed at home.

V_Ben

Banned
thanks for the impressions on Tearaway. The game sounds fantastic

Did you get a chance to play Tearaway?

Oh shit, I did! Man, that game is a delight! There's so many little details, and its all animated in just the most wonderful way. Theres actually a decent challenge to the game, but I just couldn't help cracking up at all the things in the game that made me smile. I mean, a squirrel asked for my picture, and then it appeared on vinyl records later in the level. How god damn cool is that.

Top Bottom