• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EVE Online |OT| of Internet Spaceships

Finally got into an incursion fleet this morning with TVP. Made a little under 600mil after insurance and booster tip in about 5 hours. Not too shabby (there was a big TPPH wall early). So I'm over a billion liquid ISK again now. Still that 's not quite enough to feel secure with what I'm flying (not counting any further upgrades I'd want to make) plus a PLEX fund (at least for my alt account) and a "fun" fund. Maybe once I cash in some LP.

But off to a decent start, getting back into the rhythm of it.

So I did some napkin math and estimate that gold cap for a single character in WoW - 1 copper shy of 1 million - (which I achieved) is roughly equivalent to around 40 billion ISK.

So I'm going to try and make that a goal. Though obviously there is no such cap in EVE, or it's a much higher virtually unreachable goal.

So I did some napkin math and estimate that gold cap for a single character in WoW - 1 copper shy of 1 million - (which I achieved) is roughly equivalent to around 40 billion ISK.

So I'm going to try and make that a goal. Though obviously there is no such cap in EVE, or it's a much higher virtually unreachable goal.

it's doable. 330-360 hours of incursions should do it :eek:

*Kappa

Made another cool ~600mil ISK this morning from incursions. Think I want to hit a ~5bil nest egg before I do any big purchases though.

Was looking up some industry stuff and I think I finally grok it - the new system (Crius update?) is definitely a bit easier to understand than it used to be. When I reactivate my second account, besides trading I think I might want to focus it on industry/research/invention as another way to make money more passively while I can grind incursions on my main for an active source of ISK. Maybe if/once the alt is sustainable enough to support both accounts I can refocus my main on something else, like playing in null.

For now that's the plan.

Otherwise I guess I'd just have to grind up a large net worth so I could afford to go a long period of time without having to worry about pissing ISK away. Perhaps train my alt (or get a third alt) for incursions as well while my main does other things.

Mudcrab

You know I've never done an incursion before. I used to make money blitzing level 4s in a Navy Raven but have since moved on to doing exploration (mostly combat sites) for money in low/null. Payouts are pretty random as you'd expect but occasionally you make a billion in a 6/10 and above when the loot fairy says 'yes'.

You know I've never done an incursion before. I used to make money blitzing level 4s in a Navy Raven but have since moved on to doing exploration (mostly combat sites) for money in low/null. Payouts are pretty random as you'd expect but occasionally you make a billion in a 6/10 and above when the loot fairy says 'yes'.

Yeah incursions are steady, fairly safe, pretty high income. I do like some exploration now and again, but as you mentioned, it can be pretty random. Days of feast and famine.

And speaking of missions reminds me that I was working on Caldari Navy ones to get my rep higher for lower taxes at Jita. Which is why my Tengu was where it was when I started up again (parked in Jita or Amarr now). Probably another task to work on, especially when I get my alt up since I can fleet with her and share the rep gain.

I Stopped doing lv 4 missions for isk when they changed the battleship warp speeds.

thats actually what motivated me to train for tengu cause MY GOD warping to and from missions was a test in patience.

it was also the catalyst to do incursions!

if im going to spend 2/3 of my isk making just warping to places, might as well make it worth it.

So I activated my alt account tonight to set her up as an industrialist/trader. Better to do this since I already had ~12mil SP invested into it. One interesting thing of note was the last thing I was training was Drone Interfacing V with ~6 days left, 70% done. She was intended to be an Ishtar pilot I guess and even has Gallente Cruiser V (though with the nerfs tomorrow...). Could even get her into a Proteus pretty quickly. Still gonna finish those at some point, but they're pushed back now for all the little industry and science skills to get up to speed.

Many skills. Much train. Wow. *Aura voice*

Probably want to get industrials done too for carting my stuff around since I probably won't actually be running so many jobs in Jita 4-4 when it'd be cheaper to be even a few jumps out. This alt can fly T1 Mining Barges too, so when I have the time I might want to make a pass over those skills again to maybe get up to T2 for something that requires less focus. Dunno yet. There's plenty of *basic* piloting skills I don't have maxed or at IV yet that I take for granted on my main, but if she's gonna be an industrialist/trader they aren't as important I suppose. SP difference gap is like 35mil, so quite a bit, but I don't have any current plans to buy any characters off the bazaar, so I just have to deal with it.

So I activated my alt account tonight to set her up as an industrialist/trader. Better to do this since I already had ~12mil SP invested into it. One interesting thing of note was the last thing I was training was Drone Interfacing V with ~6 days left, 70% done. She was intended to be an Ishtar pilot I guess and even has Gallente Cruiser V (though with the nerfs tomorrow...). Could even get her into a Proteus pretty quickly. Still gonna finish those at some point, but they're pushed back now for all the little industry and science skills to get up to speed.

Many skills. Much train. Wow. *Aura voice*

Probably want to get industrials done too for carting my stuff around since I probably won't actually be running so many jobs in Jita 4-4 when it'd be cheaper to be even a few jumps out. This alt can fly T1 Mining Barges too, so when I have the time I might want to make a pass over those skills again to maybe get up to T2 for something that requires less focus. Dunno yet. There's plenty of *basic* piloting skills I don't have maxed or at IV yet that I take for granted on my main, but if she's gonna be an industrialist/trader they aren't as important I suppose. SP difference gap is like 35mil, so quite a bit, but I don't have any current plans to buy any characters off the bazaar, so I just have to deal with it.

are you going to redo the stats?

are you going to redo the stats?

Probably. But not for at least a little bit while I reorient myself with the alt and set a longer skill plan. Got 3 remaps to burn. She has +4 implants anyway in the mean time. I don't think anything I'm currently training is getting less than 2k SP/HR anyway. So at worst it's not terrible.

Will I be super optimized? No. But I'm not a super precision Nazi (yet). If I get deep into this industry stuff I many very well play spreadsheets online.

Anybody know any good public "community" channels that have interesting conversations? Since I'm just in a corp by myself it gets a little lonely sometimes. And you never really get anything out of local, particularly in Jita or other trade hubs where it's just a wall of scams. Incursion community channels don't always interest me. Just looking for something as a little background noise while I station trade or whatever. If not, I guess I can just stick to watching Twitch or whatever.

---

Otherwise, working on setting up my station trading enterprise while industry skills train. Today I'm going through at least part of the process of figuring out what's profitable to trade, pretty much one item at a time.

I dabble in the iwantisk channel since gambling brings in different people. Its not as chill as somerbljnk channel though . That one made solo flying more bearable.

Apparently someone just bought some items I was trading in for about 4x what they were worth, x20. So I made 40mil instead of ~11mil revenue. \o/ Small Victory \o/

Dunno how they fuck that up though. It wasn't even like an off by one zero error. Upon further inspection the purchase was made by a ~1 month old character in a starter corp, so lesson learned for them?

Otherwise I'm still going through most of the market figuring out what things I want to trade in - I just had started a few orders since I was going to be sitting there already. I'm up to weapon modules, still have rigs, ships, and trade goods to go through. Haven't decided exactly how to sort them all yet, just adding them to the quickbar as I go, then I'll do another pass. Still takes forever to identify stuff even looking at it all briefly just cause there's so many items. That's even ignoring officer mods and glossing over or outright skipping things I already know no one uses.

---

Anyway, the luxury yacht bpc from worlds collide is in, I even got one on my alt, so you must've just had to have an account active before the patch went live yesterday I guess. Current going price seems to be around 200mil. The ship itself is pretty good though, so it might be worth investing into.
---

That's probably it for me from today. Was in an incursion fleet this morning but I had to wait a couple hours in the the wait list being a little too slow after downtime. Got a little goofy, so I ducked out fairly early compared to the past few days I've flown. System was really crowded since the current one up is the only non-island and it's already mobilized.

Sorry I sort of use this thread as a blog sometimes, but I try to keep it to 1 post a day at most unless someone else says something. Slowly gonna be working on updating the OP to be more fleshed out as well in the next couple weeks I think, particularly with some new player resources. I might actually start up a real blog though.

So I've barely started setting up my trading infrastructure and I'm already thinking about moving from Jita to Amarr. Or perhaps doing a quick and dirty dual skill train to have an alt in Amarr. Generally higher margins with less maintenance, though lower volume.

I finished my initial round of scoping out items to trade based on Jita, but I don't know if there would be anything significantly different in Amarr or if I could basically trade all the same items I've identified. Not sure if it'd be worth the time and effort to comb through the entire market again though. I doubt it.

That's for trading. As for manufacturing, which I'm still trying to grok, I really don't know what to make. And there doesn't seem to be an easy way to find out. Items that might have high trade margins aren't necessarily the best to manufacture, though they might be a good place to start. The issue is the base materials vary depending on your skills and the research level of the blueprint, and looking at it is kind of backwards, so each run is like a custom job. Need to do some more research on the process, I think.

Station trading kind of feels like using a $10,000 magnifying glass to find pennies in a parking lot. Had to wire ISK to my alt from my main to cover my increasing amount of orders, even with Margin Trading at I think III.

I wanted to try this Evernus program that helps track your market activity, but I couldn't get it to install. Might contact the dev. There's also EVE Mentat which is similar, but appears to be defunct.

Anyway, training for T2 manufacturing stuff on my alt, while researching what things might be worth making (T1 and T2). I want to do a scrape of data from killboards somehow in order to find what's being used a lot, but it's a bit of a daunting prospect since I have very limited programming experience. For the moment I'm checking manually.

Main finishes Long Range Targeting V in just under an hour, so I could train logistics and fly a Basilisk fairly quickly if I were so inclined. Otherwise I have a few short filler skills and then plan to train Capacitor Management V for an overall boost even though it doesn't necessarily unlock anything. After that maybe some extra support skills for a Vindicator and then I don't know what - probably other racial cruisers/T2 medium weapons.

got new phone.

debating if i have the dedication to manually write down all the keys for my characters because for some reason the auto fetch always hangs...

got new phone.

debating if i have the dedication to manually write down all the keys for my characters because for some reason the auto fetch always hangs...

API Keys? Or passwords? Unless you're talking about something else?

---

Kinda getting the hang of the research/manufacturing thing I think. I identified some potentially profitable modules which I bought and started up research on their Tech 1 BPOs, but I don't know if that really matters when I plan to mostly be doing invention. I'm not exactly clear on everything yet. Still it's gonna be at least around a week before I have the skills actually required - Science V in training as I type with ~4days to go. Longer before my skills aren't complete poop. Probably gonna figure out a remap for all the science skills since that will be mostly what I'll be training for at least a month or two.

API Keys? Or passwords? Unless you're talking about something else?

---

Kinda getting the hang of the research/manufacturing thing I think. I identified some potentially profitable modules which I bought and started up research on their Tech 1 BPOs, but I don't know if that really matters when I plan to mostly be doing invention. I'm not exactly clear on everything yet. Still it's gonna be at least around a week before I have the skills actually required - Science V in training as I type with ~4days to go. Longer before my skills aren't complete poop. Probably gonna figure out a remap for all the science skills since that will be mostly what I'll be training for at least a month or two.

witnessing the birth of a eve prospect expert here

Ugh, had to do MTAC duty today which sucks. The actual job isn't that hard, but for me it adds a whole layer of stress even when not in a TCRC site. Could only stand to do a few hours of running today instead of 4 or 5 because of that. Had a couple contests too which we thankfully won, but those add stress as well.

On the industry side of things with my alt, still just plugging along - making some BPCs and training Science V (~1 day, 15 hours left), after which I'll have to buy all the science skill books which will run me something like 130mil. I've looked into it some more and the margins are something like 30%-50% higher in a POS, but I'm not sure I really want to get invested in all that when structures are being revamped over the course of this year anyway. What I might end up doing is just get my alt prepped for industry things, then train ship skills or deactivate the account until such time as I can make use of it. Though I don't know how long my current affair with EVE will last before I get sucked back into WoW or something else.

Otherwise I'm still thinking about activating 2 character training for a month or two to have a station trader alt in Amarr on my main account. Kinda kicking myself for missing out on the cheap starter pack offers from the past couple weeks, coulda stocked up on a few just for the cerebral accelerators they provide, but they'll be around again. Think I still have an unactivated Steam key though.

Tetsuo9

On the industry side of things with my alt, still just plugging along - making some BPCs and training Science V (~1 day, 15 hours left), after which I'll have to buy all the science skill books which will run me something like 130mil. I've looked into it some more and the margins are something like 30%-50% higher in a POS, but I'm not sure I really want to get invested in all that when structures are being revamped over the course of this year anyway. What I might end up doing is just get my alt prepped for industry things, then train ship skills or deactivate the account until such time as I can make use of it. Though I don't know how long my current affair with EVE will last before I get sucked back into WoW or something else.

Burnout in eve is so real, especially if you want to play with poses, starbases and the logistics involved. That's why you should try to find people so the workload can be shared and you can just chill some weeks playing other games and doing minimal loggin on eve.

Also, apparently new characters (perhaps just accounts) get 4 bonus remaps now + the 1 timed one instead of 2 bonus remaps. So if you want to power train a new alt, it's easier than ever.

Anybody here ever do much PI?

I started up once a long time ago but never got very far. Considering learning again, even if it won't make me much money in high-sec, but so I know what's up if I move to null or WH space again.

Tetsuo9

Anybody here ever do much PI?

I started up once a long time ago but never got very far. Considering learning again, even if it won't make me much money in high-sec, but so I know what's up if I move to null or WH space again.
I have some techniques of lazy PI that we do in goon space, but they are kinda usable for this space only, also the space trucking is greatly facilitated by our jump bridges. I mostly make P3 that I end up using in T2 manufacturing.

I would say definitely don't do PI for the sake of it. Do it if you have some kind of corp buyback, if you build stuff or if you find a good station trading niche.

For anyone feeling out of ideas for what to do next in EVE and/or bored with what you're currently doing, CCP Manifest gave a talk at Fanfest about strategies for injecting some new fun and variety into your gameplay. Worth a listen, if not just for the WiNGSPAN Delivery Services mention :).

Science V done on alt, all the other science skills now going into my brain. Out something like 130mil for all the books though. Still gonna be at least a couple days before it'd actually be worth it to start inventing stuff though. Lots of fairly short skills for the foreseeable future (most sub 3 days) which is always fun.

I kinda want to use the character as a miner or mission runner to do something while my main is occupied at wherever the current incursion is, but she's just not destined for that in the immediate future. I might want a 3rd and possibly 4th character if I can afford to support them, at least looking at a market alt or two off dual-character training. They'd only need to train for one or two months to have the appropriate skills, and then they wouldn't need an active skill queue.

So I've been looking for EVE blogs/news sources the past couple weeks. There really aren't that many that are currently active. Lots of dead/defunct ones with no posts since 2014 or earlier.

I'd like to compile a list (and maybe find some new ones!) to perhaps put in the OP when I make a pass at it in the next week or two. So if there's anything you know of and like, please post it here. I'll take podcast suggestions and good up-to-date YouTube resources as well.

Still considering possibly starting an EVE blog myself, but that would be a ways out as I'd require some planning and setup time.

So I snagged some T1 Rig Blueprints for I think a steal off contracts. 2 for 35mil each when research costs alone for the level they were at would be 24mil+ and around a month in time (perhaps cheaper/faster in a POS). By my calculation they should be profitable after ~3 days of production which seems pretty fucking good. So when you factor the installation cost and occupied slots for a month, it just made sense to buy them (even though I had just bought the base versions from NPC vendors). At worst I'm out like 2 incursion ticks if I fucked up the math somewhere.

I'll definitely have to be on the lookout for other BPOs on contracts that might be worth it now.

Edit: Snagged a couple more decent deals I think and found another that seems okay but I haven't bit yet. Might go for it in the morning if it's still up. Located 10j out from Jita so it'd be a trek to pick it up and get it back to the station I'm basing out of for blueprint activities.

So I finally manufactured some stuff. And it sold! \o/ Pretty sure I made a profit, but I'm not exactly sure how much since I had other money moving around, and I don't have my own spreadsheet setup for it (yet). Something like 300k/hr or less though. Been using this ISK Per Hour Tool to help figure things out in conjunction with this blueprint calculator to double check.

Buying already researched blueprints was definitely the way to go for some of the things I was looking at. Particularly rigs which can have huge breakpoints at high MEs that close to double profitability.

Haven't gotten into invention yet, still working on skills, but I'm not so sure about it in terms of profit compared to some of the other things I've been looking at. If it doesn't pan out I may be looking at an earlier remap than I had planned to refocus on other skills, but I've got a couple to spare so it's okay.

---

Also been looking into a Confessor fit for possibly exploring the shattered wormhole systems (or C1s/2s). I'm hardly a fit guru, so if anyone wants to look this over:

[Confessor, Wormholes]
Damage Control II
Experimental Energized Adaptive Nano Membrane I
Coreli C-Type Adaptive Nano Plating
Small Armor Repairer II
400mm Reinforced Rolled Tungsten Plates I

1MN Afterburner II
Relic Analyzer I
Tracking Computer II, Tracking Speed Script

Improved Cloaking Device II
Core Probe Launcher II, Core Scanner Probe I
Dual Light Beam Laser II, Imperial Navy Multifrequency S

Small Processor Overclocking Unit I
Small Capacitor Control Circuit I
Small Capacitor Control Circuit I

So I planned out my main's skill queue for this year (well, ~6 months).

ALL THE CRUISER THINGS!

I've got Legion and Proteus + T2 Medium Energy and Hybrid Turrets in queue. Minmatar Cruiser V in there near the end since I'm not as interested in the Loki even though I already have medium projectiles done as was necessary before the gunnery tiericide. Might change my mind on that though since I am interested in the Scimitar (over the Basilisk). Logistics to V is planned near the end as well.

Also in there is Archaeology V and Cybernetics V as well as HACs to IV and Sentry Drone Interfacing V. Those are mostly tacked on after the big cruiser stuff though.

Interesting thing is that I don't need to remap since it would only save me about 2 days out of close to 200 planned.

After this round of training though I really am running out of things to train (or running into severe diminishing returns) that aren't capitals, which is kind of cool I guess.

Suppose I can add Caldari and Minmatar frigates V in there as well for (mostly) complete coverage of BCs down. And some more missile skills O_O

every gun system already set?

+ T2 Medium Energy and Hybrid Turrets in queue.

I have projectiles up through large covered. All smalls are at V (not necessarily past II or III specialization though). Large Hybrids V is done and and blaster spec IV is on immediately after I wrap Capacitor Management V and Controlled Bursts V here. (I plan to buy a Vindicator in the near-ish future). After I go through my plan I'll only be lacking Large Energy Turrets V (don't plan to fly a Nightmare soon, maybe an Oracle, but eh) and various missile skills as far as weapons platforms go. I'll have all the gunnery support skills aside from Trajectory Analysis at V once I finish Controlled Bursts V in the next two weeks. But that skill is an insane 17+ days even at 2400+ SP/Hr for level V - it's really not worth it for me yet in time/value when I can get a whole Cruiser V done in that time.

Hmm.

Building more things today, and finally doing my first invention \o/

The ISK isn't super good in most cases - anything over 400k-500k an hour seems great - but it is completely passive income that you can set and forget. To be honest straight station-trading is likely a better investment of resources, but I'm taking it all as a learning process. At worst there are some valuable INT/MEM support skills I can train on my alt before remapping to something else. Though my problem there is that I'd want to be in Charisma for a bit for the trade skills, so I might end up burning my 2 bonus remaps to get there and back to something normal. Not sure what I'd do with a second combat pilot at this point though - maybe skill into freighters instead. Depends if I get my main caught up in null or wormholes I guess and want another incursion/mission pilot or something for income. Just speculation for a few months down the road at the earliest though, so I may change my mind about it all.

i'd say as long as you are making profit while sleeping is good.

you been keeping up on the thread on r/fittings? i wish i had a knack for fitting ships.

i'd say as long as you are making profit while sleeping is good.

you been keeping up on the thread on r/fittings? i wish i had a knack for fitting ships.

Yeah I've been looking at it. Still not sure how best to make it work. Could try fitting a Svipul for the same purpose as well, but I liked the idea of having lasers in a WH-diving ship to save space on the ammo.

And the 400-500k/hr number is for building one production line's worth of things. With better skills you're running ~8+ lines so that would be ~4mil each hour it's producing which isn't terrible for a set it and forget it operation (besides shipping the mats and products there and back). If you kept that production up for 66% of the time a month, you rake in about 2bil. Though that's probably a little generous.

are you doing the shipping yourself or hiring 3rd parties?>

My production/research is less than 10 jumps from Jita so I just do it myself. Especially since I'm still station-trading on the same character. I've been doing fairly small batches of things that simmer for a couple days at most, rather than investing a bunch into bulk production that might take a week or more to complete. Once I feel more comfortable I might have to look into moving further away (with scaling production) though to see how the tax index changes and if that's worth my time (plus possibly paying for freight). Bit of a complex calculation though. And at that point I might be looking at a POS, but I don't know if I really want to deal with that before they get revamped this year anyway when the margins are still workable out of NPC stations.

Also, I don't know if I have the standings to produce elsewhere - I'd have to investigate that. Still want to get Caldari Navy (and more) higher on the alt, but my main has been traveling with incursions - would need to take a break from that for a bit to grind missions (different clone, different ship, etc.) to get that done.

Saw that. Wasn't running today, but it does spook me a bit. Though I usually run at odd hours on weekdays, so it's unlikely I'd ever see anything of the sort with the coordination required to pull it off.

So my invention job rolled 1 for 10 when each had ~25% chance success rate. RIP. Still trying to figure out if this loses me money or not. I think I might be in the black, just with a much reduced ISK/hr.

Edit: Yeah so I think I have the calculation. Ends up being worth around 362k ISK/hr instead of the ~644k+ it would have been had I rolled even one more BPC. Sucks to suck, but it's not a catastrophe I guess.

You need 2-3 fits for this + MTU/mobile depot/spare ammo (with the enormous d3 cargo it shouldn't be a problem).
Fit 1: Scan/travel. Pretty close to what you have now, but you want to aim for a nano/10mn fit. Make a safe, mash dscan looking for probes (be paranoid if you see them), cloak up and scan.
Fit 2: Site running. Max your tank and dps, nuf said
Fit 2.5: drop your mobile depot next to your MTU and refit salvagers/relic analyzers
Optional:
Fit 3: PvP refit. Nuf said
Source: http://invadingyourhole.blogspot.co.nz/2015/02/shattered-wormhole-backpacking-trip-day.html

damn shame about BNI.

all the bells and whistles of production intimidate me so much. almost as much as PI.

PI is probably worse to be honest. Though it helps that I have starting capital to play around with and buy already researched blueprints, for example. If I was a new player and wanted to get into industry, it would be extremely difficult to the point of frustration. I'll write more about it as I go along.

In other news, updates coming to the OP tonight or tomorrow, gonna work on it for a bit here. Don't know how much I'll get done, but there should be some substantial new content. Will work on making it pretty later if I get around to it.

Halfway updated the OP the other day, still under construction.

Finished Capacitor Management V on my main late last night, so I have the Core Spaceship Operation certificate to V now. Working on Controlled Bursts V now, with Large Blaster Specialization IV in queue after that before my 2015 cruiser plan kicks in.

Haven't run an incursion in about 2 weeks, so I really need to get on that to get my income stream up. Just haven't been able to squeeze it in. I'll see about getting in late tonight after I finish leveling in the new Diablo 3 season, or tomorrow morning (though weekends are always a crapshoot.)

Top Bottom