• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EVE Online |OT| of Internet Spaceships

thespot84

Is there a way to enjoy EVE with just a few hours a week? I was in a wormhole corp at some point while working and going to school and simply couldn't keep up.

Bizazedo

Are command battlecruiser buffs still system wide? I.e., the DAoC problem of needing buffbots late in a game's life if going solo / small group?

Woo, got some kills tonight. Was planning to just rat, but stuff was hot when I logged in.

Quote to see killboard. (Don't want free intel of any kind out there.)

Apparently that Chessur fellow is a known YouTuber. He was in a Curse earlier that I didn't get in on.

Nice. I really have to find the time / bravery to get back out there.

i still didn't care about my loot ingame i would give no fucks and sub for a month and lose it all in a hail of explosions and glory.

most likely lose it all being jammed and neuted with 10-on-1 situtations. but all the same.

Went ratting today. Did one site, a Hub.

It was pure paranoia the entire time. Having to watch intel and making sure I don't fuck up with aggro on me is stressful as hell.

Training into T2 Large Energy Turrets at the moment, maybe I'll feel better going at it in a sniper Oracle. Dunno. But I don't know if I can stand it for this to be my main source of income. Incursions, once you get going, are just so easy in comparison. Might have to step up my trading game, and get some Planetary Interaction going.

The one site made like 20mil ish with Loot + Salvage. Compared to incursion sites which might take 5-15 minutes and make you 30mil, this took maybe 20-25 minutes. Blitzing and coming back for loot/salvage (or ignoring it) might be better.

Went ratting today. Did one site, a Hub.

It was pure paranoia the entire time. Having to watch intel and making sure I don't fuck up with aggro on me is stressful as hell.

Training into T2 Large Energy Turrets at the moment, maybe I'll feel better going at it in a sniper Oracle. Dunno. But I don't know if I can stand it for this to be my main source of income. Incursions, once you get going, are just so easy in comparison. Might have to step up my trading game, and get some Planetary Interaction going.

The one site made like 20mil ish with Loot + Salvage. Compared to incursion sites which might take 5-15 minutes and make you 30mil, this took maybe 20-25 minutes. Blitzing and coming back for loot/salvage (or ignoring it) might be better.

thats what i started doing near the end

blitzing lvl 2s in assault frigs. plus if i lost it it wouldnt have been that much of a hit

Bizazedo

The last two high sec 4/10s I did blessed me with modules worth 500 million. I immediately blew it on a strategic cruiser and I'm planning to blow it up in PvP fashion. I really should be looking for a corp or alliance though.

In a fleet tonight. Saw some enemy Alliance Tournament ships out in the wild. Really cool. Also saw my first Titan, which is also cool (being used as a jump bridge).

Tetsuo9

Last Saturday I recieved an emal from one of my corp mates, telling me that we need to evac vale of the silent. After not playing for 7 months I logged in and moved my assets in my rorqual.

Imperium (CFC) is being attacked in what it seems a big way by pretty much all pvp corps from the rest of eve. Supercapitals from NC., PL and Dark are already in position to attack the north. My corp is in Bastion alliance and we formed fleets of about 130 people fighting all the time against 180+ dudes in t3s or Maelstroms.

2 years have passed since the Halloween war and if this keeps escalating we are gonna have a second B-R very soon.

I think this is a good time for gaffers to resub or to try the game and join the fight.

thespot84

Last Saturday I recieved an emal from one of my corp mates, telling me that we need to evac vale of the silent. After not playing for 7 months I logged in and moved my assets in my rorqual.

Imperium (CFC) is being attacked in what it seems a big way by pretty much all pvp corps from the rest of eve. Supercapitals from NC., PL and Dark are already in position to attack the north. My corp is in Bastion alliance and we formed fleets of about 130 people fighting all the time against 180+ dudes in t3s or Maelstroms.

2 years have passed since the Halloween war and if this keeps escalating we are gonna have a second B-R very soon.

I think this is a good time for gaffers to resub or to try the game and join the fight.

Here's an overview on the current war. If time were no object I'd resub for sure.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/4c5dul/eve_online_the_first_great_war_in_nearly_2_years/

mephel

So I already have a character that I've been working on irregularly for the past 2-3 years (like a month or two of training at a time and then I always cancelled the account because I felt bored)

The thing is, I specialized the character in Exploration and it turned out I don't really like it on its own. I would enjoy it a lot more If I could actually use some combat skills while exploring (not really possible in Cheetah). I guess what I'm trying to say is that i like varied gameplay, not having to do the same thing over and over.

I also really didn't like the interface for finding a corp, so i was flying on my own most of the time, it's probably also the reason why I wouldn't stay with the game for longer.

I feel like I've been playing the game wrong from the start. Do you guys have any tips for looking for a corp, and for cross-training to something little bit more useful in fleets (ideally something that could be used fast, but if there is something that could be fun and takes longer, i can get behind that as well)

thanks

Oh, this thread exists.

Decided to do a 3 month sub to EVE to kill time until Stellaris comes out. Does anyone have an active corp I can join? As much fun as it is to screw around in Nullsec scanning down relic/data sites for money I didn't subscribe so that I could play EVE Minesweeper all day. I really want to get into some fleet related stuff.

This is my first character (Under 2m SP) and I'm very new.

Edit : Oh wow, reading the above post it sounds like we're having the exact same issue. Exploration is pretty dull! Really wishing there were more team oriented things to do with Exploration just to cut into the monotony.

Tetsuo9

Oh, this thread exists.

Decided to do a 3 month sub to EVE to kill time until Stellaris comes out. Does anyone have an active corp I can join? As much fun as it is to screw around in Nullsec scanning down relic/data sites for money I didn't subscribe so that I could play EVE Minesweeper all day. I really want to get into some fleet related stuff.

This is my first character (Under 2m SP) and I'm very new.

Edit : Oh wow, reading the above post it sounds like we're having the exact same issue. Exploration is pretty dull! Really wishing there were more team oriented things to do with Exploration just to cut into the monotony.
join karmafleet, pandemic horde or eve uni and start from there.

Dark Rider

Eve is heating up lately for big events and I am interested
but I have a question if anyone would be kind to answer or direct me to the information.

If I joined eve then after a few months unsubscribed for whatever reason how long they will keep my account and char and data? months? years? any specific time?

Eve is heating up lately for big events and I am interested
but I have a question if anyone would be kind to answer or direct me to the information.

If I joined eve then after a few months unsubscribed for whatever reason how long they will keep my account and char and data? months? years? any specific time?

Like most MMOs, indefinitely. They'll keep your account data pretty much forever.

I play on and off. Currently still subbed on two accounts, but I haven't actually had time to play as of late.

Dark Rider

Like most MMOs, indefinitely. They'll keep your account data pretty much forever.

I play on and off. Currently still subbed on two accounts, but I haven't actually had time to play as of late.

nice
sometimes I'm out of my mmo game for years and I wouldn't like to come back to find that my account has been deleted so I wanted to make sure :p

Damn, just logged in today and remembered I had Christmas stuff in the redeeming system . All gone now, RIP.

At least it's not super high value stuff, though I think there was a shirt or something in there.

Dark Rider

Damn, just logged in today and remembered I had Christmas stuff in the redeeming system . All gone now, RIP.

At least it's not super high value stuff, though I think there was a shirt or something in there.

you can get a GM to move your assets to somewhere else if you were gone for a while?

you can get a GM to move your assets to somewhere else if you were gone for a while?

I think in most cases, they'll let you move one ship with your character (filled with whatever, to wherever - within limits) if you get locked out after say, a sov change after an extended absence. I don't think I've ever had to deal with a GM personally though in all my time playing EVE.

In the case with the redeeming system I just mentioned, I'm pretty sure those are just erased, as you have something like 3-4 months to redeem it to a specific character/location and usually it's stuff you'll want sooner anyway. Most of the Chirstmas stuff is hangar junk though. Maybe able to ticket it and get back, but it's probably not worth the time

Dark Rider

I think in most cases, they'll let you move one ship with your character (filled with whatever, to wherever - within limits) if you get locked out after say, a sov change after an extended absence. I don't think I've ever had to deal with a GM personally though in all my time playing EVE.

In the case with the redeeming system I just mentioned, I'm pretty sure those are just erased, as you have something like 3-4 months to redeem it to a specific character/location and usually it's stuff you'll want sooner anyway. Most of the Chirstmas stuff is hangar junk though. Maybe able to ticket it and get back, but it's probably not worth the time

so if you have stuff somewhere and a sudden sov change happen while you are away then after 4 months they will just erase them if you didn't issue a request prior to that?

so if you have stuff somewhere and a sudden sov change happen while you are away then after 4 months they will just erase them if you didn't issue a request prior to that?

No. Stuff actually in the game won't get deleted, you just may lose effective access to it. You could still potentially sell your assets, but it may be to an enemy, or at below market value.

The redeeming system crap is mostly used for like, ship skins bought on the micro transaction store and the like. It exists on the login screen in this kind of quasi-space that's neither here nor there. Mostly there to let you choose which character on an account you want to manifest the items on. You probably won't deal with it much and shouldn't worry about it.

Sorry if it was confusing, but I hope that clears things up.

Dark Rider

No. Stuff actually in the game won't get deleted, you just may lose effective access to it. You could still potentially sell your assets, but it may be to an enemy, or at below market value.

The redeeming system crap is mostly used for like, ship skins bought on the micro transaction store and the like. It exists on the login screen in this kind of quasi-space that's neither here nor there. Mostly there to let you choose which character on an account you want to manifest the items on. You probably won't deal with it much and shouldn't worry about it.

Sorry if it was confusing, but I hope that clears things up.

afaik the stuff will be locked there forever unless you sell them to the new owners or wait until one day in history you regain sov, correct?

afaik the stuff will be locked there forever unless you sell them to the new owners or wait until one day in history you regain sov, correct?

Pretty much afaik. That's talking about stations which are different from POS (where your stuff is completely able to be destroyed/looted).

Though the system will be changing a bit with Citadels which are coming out in about a month. I think in the new system if your citadel gets destroyed your stuff sort of gets impounded, but you can pay hefty fees to move it to a neutral location where you'll be able to access it. Haven't read up in awhile so don't quote me 100%.

Also, Fanfest is next weekend I think. Should be some good announcements there, as always.

Dark Rider

Pretty much afaik. That's talking about stations which are different from POS (where your stuff is completely able to be destroyed/looted).

Though the system will be changing a bit with Citadels which are coming out in about a month. I think in the new system if your citadel gets destroyed your stuff sort of gets impounded, but you can pay hefty fees to move it to a neutral location where you'll be able to access it. Haven't read up in awhile so don't quote me 100%.

Also, Fanfest is next weekend I think. Should be some good announcements there, as always.

I need to read on that because I said sometimes I'm not playing for extended amount of time and I don't want to come back to find my stuff gone, any pointers?

Woorloog

Banned
*Sighs*
I was thinking of re-subbing.
Surprisingly, i remembered my password (my account username i found from an email).
Unfortunately, i do not remember any characters in my account, and i'm not really keen on trying some options as i figure the account will get locked for safety reasons before i get one right.
Not sure if i'll contact CM to ask for a character name or if i'll just create a completely new account.
Ironically, the last time i re-subbed, i remembered a character name BUT my account got banned for security reasons as i had clicked wrong link (or something like that) while recovering my password. It is never simple...

If i start over, i'll lose perhaps a hundred million ISK, some christmas-stuff (snowballs, etc.), a Sarum Magnate, an Echelon, some equipment and frigates, perhaps a destroyer or two. Nothing serious, as none of the "limited" stuff is particularly rare. And some skillpoints, of course, but i was going to start with a new character anyway as A) i don't have many skillpoints, B) i want a new name and looks, and C) i probably want to change race.
Losing a couple of limited ships does bother me a bit but it is not like i'd dare to fly them anyway. Hangar queens...

Frankly, starting with a clean slate might be refreshing (in a way) and i'd get 14 days of free time (via trial), which might good anyway if i change my mind and rather not re-sub.

EDIT Wait, the game costs 19€ at Humble Bundle and Steam (though i can't buy via Steam as i already have EVE via it, not without asking for Steam CS to remove the game from account) but only 10€ at CCP's site (via direct sub)???

In addition to the PLEX sale, there are two other specials going on.

1) Reactivation Special (cheap option for those who wan to dip their toes back in)
  • 1 month - $10
  • 5 months - $50

2) Subscription Offer (standard price but includes character, ship and pod skins depending on how much game time you add)
HfUmYGx.png

If you're new or using a trial account, the GMG offer in the post above is an awesome boost to get you started. Just keep in mind that none of that is permanent obviously.

I didn't see these posted, but here's the trailers for the Citadel expansion which just launched today. One if Eve's biggest expansions in years so it's going to be very exciting seeing the game shift not just because of the ongoing war but because of the shake-up in the meta and new strategies involving the citadel's.

Cinematic trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bjTrPutt4k

Feature trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFH4tAh16Ek

Start the clock, because I'm sure there are some corps already talking about if they want to be the one who gets to own the Palatine Keepstar citadel. This is the citadel which is ridiculously priced and there can be only ONE active in the entire universe at any given time. If it gets built, when the first one gets destroyed the wreck will stay and there will be a permanent monument in honor of someone building it. The cost of this thing though is insane at around 200 TRILLION ISK. That's equivalent to about 1,000 Avatar titans. I suspect we won't see it for 1-2 years.

I'm not sure if people will even want to build the Palatine Keepstar. For all the glory you get from building it, will be the shame when you inevitably lose it probably sooner rather than later.

Bit of a risk to say the least.

So joining a wormhole corp has been pretty great. The infrastructure (mainly crowdsourcing the wormhole intel using siggy) has made doing exploration a much more rewarding and hassle free experience. I can avoid gate camps and huge jump chains from Amarr or Jita and can go from being deep in one Null system to a trade hub within 3-4 jumps. There's something intensely satisfying about knowing that 'home' is always within reach while taking on Null class sites right out of my backyard. Yesterday I made something like 300m from exploring various faction data/relic sites that littered the wormhole chains we scanned down. One site in particular brought in 100m alone. It's great knowing that the various sites / additional wormholes I scan down and log on siggy contribute to the every day coming and going of various corp member activities, I may not be able to take advantage of the Gas or Sleeper sites I scan down but it's nice knowing that at least someone will.

One of our corp members took his shiny new Force Auxillary out for a spin in our home system last night as well
It's definitely one of my favorite looking ships so far.

There are definitely some benefits from a combat perspective as well, having constantly shifting exits into Null security space means that every roam ends up being a slightly different experience, we can be in Goon space one hour and somewhere in the depths of Fountain the next. I'm enjoying my experience a lot more these days. Might have to keep subbing even after Stellaris comes out now. :p

So joining a wormhole corp has been pretty great. The infrastructure (mainly crowdsourcing the wormhole intel using siggy) has made doing exploration a much more rewarding and hassle free experience. I can avoid gate camps and huge jump chains from Amarr or Jita and can go from being deep in one Null system to a trade hub within 3-4 jumps. There's something intensely satisfying about knowing that 'home' is always within reach while taking on Null class sites right out of my backyard. Yesterday I made something like 300m from exploring various faction data/relic sites that littered the wormhole chains we scanned down. One site in particular brought in 100m alone. It's great knowing that the various sites / additional wormholes I scan down and log on siggy contribute to the every day coming and going of various corp member activities, I may not be able to take advantage of the Gas or Sleeper sites I scan down but it's nice knowing that at least someone will.

One of our corp members took his shiny new Force Auxillary out for a spin in our home system last night as well
It's definitely one of my favorite looking ships so far.

There are definitely some benefits from a combat perspective as well, having constantly shifting exits into Null security space means that every roam ends up being a slightly different experience, we can be in Goon space one hour and somewhere in the depths of Fountain the next. I'm enjoying my experience a lot more these days. Might have to keep subbing even after Stellaris comes out now. :p

Which corp did you join?

I left my nullsec corp because it was honestly a bit too overwhelming/intimidating/frustrating as a new player. I just started playing again, but I've decided to start trying out exploration and was considering joining a low-sec or maybe WH corp after I get myself going again. To me, the biggest problem was that joining a nullsec corp off the bat while trying to figure out how the hell you make money in a super dangerous territory was too much for me. Sort of felt like I stalled in my experience which is pretty much why I stopped playing. It's way too easy to get caught up in a great Eve war, but if you're a new player you pretty much don't have a connection to what's going on so it pretty much feels like you're meat for the meat grinder.

Woorloog

Banned
Blizzard must be spying on me that i've started EVE again. They're offering me 7 days of free gametime and Warlords of Draenor...

Which corp did you join?

I left my nullsec corp because it was honestly a bit too overwhelming/intimidating/frustrating as a new player. I just started playing again, but I've decided to start trying out exploration and was considering joining a low-sec or maybe WH corp after I get myself going again. To me, the biggest problem was that joining a nullsec corp off the bat while trying to figure out how the hell you make money in a super dangerous territory was too much for me. Sort of felt like I stalled in my experience which is pretty much why I stopped playing. It's way too easy to get caught up in a great Eve war, but if you're a new player you pretty much don't have a connection to what's going on so it pretty much feels like you're meat for the meat grinder.

A small corp called Sky Fighters, you can find them (and their recruitment channel) through corp finder. We accept any pilots with any level of experience and usually try to get a small 6-8 person roam in some random part of non Wormhole space every night from around 8PM - 12AM EST. The leaders are active and always willing to give advice on pretty much every aspect of the game and I've been learning a lot about the ins and outs of PvP while taking out my little Maulus on roams with these guys, just the benefit of being in a smaller, tight knit group vs. the mega corporations and alliances where you can get lost in the woodwork. I haven't skilled into anything beyond T1 frigates (mainly putting my SP into exploration skills / slowly working up to a CovOps) but they're nothing if not patient as I slowly build my character up. One of the members specifically went out of his way to bring in a small fleet of T1 frigates up to the wormhole so that I could try out different fits and weapon types to get a feel for what I like and don't like, they're good people.

If you're in to exploration and think the corporate infrastructure benefits of being in this kind of group (I really can't wait until we have a Citadel in the wormhole) would be a benefit to you then I'd say check them out. I'm not regretting it. Though if you can't be active on US timezones your experience may vary.

Woorloog

Banned
So, had reasonably productive day with some high-sec and mostly low-sec exploration.
About 60-70 million in loot, plus "Large Tracking Diagnostic Subroutines II Blueprint".
No idea how much that BPC is worth but i'd imagine it is a nice sum?

So, had reasonably productive day with some high-sec and mostly low-sec exploration.
About 60-70 million in loot, plus "Large Tracking Diagnostic Subroutines II Blueprint".
No idea how much that BPC is worth but i'd imagine it is a nice sum?

Probably not in the vast majority of cases. Looking up its price in Jita I can only find 3 sell orders for 15m each (the completed product, not the BPC) but only a single buy order ... for 10k ISK. Doesn't seem to be an item in very much demand.

Woorloog

Banned
So, there's a Citadel in Perimeter, near Jita-gate. And someone's anchoring another very nearby.

Nice place, looks awesome. A lot of people were watching it, the local peaked at 600 people. Some fighting.

Woorloog

Banned
I've had the most "wonderful" day.

First, i screw up really badly and didn't double check i looted a valuable thing before warping out. From a deadspace complex, that was finished.
37 million down a drain... though i'd have split the sell price with another but still.

Then, i lose a Heron fitted for exploration (cloaking devices and all) to a gate-camp.

So, i go get another, and go buy cloaking device for my Pathfinder III... I actually buy extra cloaking devices for later. Only... during my flight back, i run into another gate-camp. Held by one guy. One.
Who proceeds to pod me.
I lost implants, i lost my Heron and 4 cloaking devices.

So.

Fuck. Not much else to say.

Fortunately i could actually afford my losses, i still have 80+ million in cash plus ships and items so.
Never fly what you can't afford to lose.

I've had the most "wonderful" day.

First, i screw up really badly and didn't double check i looted a valuable thing before warping out. From a deadspace complex, that was finished.
37 million down a drain... though i'd have split the sell price with another but still.

Then, i lose a Heron fitted for exploration (cloaking devices and all) to a gate-camp.

So, i go get another, and go buy cloaking device for my Pathfinder III... I actually buy extra cloaking devices for later. Only... during my flight back, i run into another gate-camp. Held by one guy. One.
Who proceeds to pod me.
I lost implants, i lost my Heron and 4 cloaking devices.

So.

Fuck. Not much else to say.

Fortunately i could actually afford my losses, i still have 80+ million in cash plus ships and items so.
Never fly what you can't afford to lose.

You're running around in exploration ships right? Are you aware of the Cloak/MWD trick to avoid gate camps?

http://wiki.eveuniversity.org/Cloak_Trick

Woorloog

Banned
That happened so fast i didn't even realize it was a gate camp before my pod warped somewhere.
The second time? Didn't have fully equipped Heron.

I'm aware of the trick though.

Capsuleer Day today! Log in to get a permanent pod SKIN in the redeeming system.

Last thing I probably do before letting my subs lapse. Well, I might continue my main account for a bit.

Woorloog

Banned
Bought a Caracal a couple of days ago. Not my thing really. So, destroyers it is, gonna train for Tech 3 Jackdaw and and later for other dessies. EDIT I find the Caracal, and most likely other cruisers a bit too sluggish for my tastes.

I don't know why but the class feels my kind of thing. Will put some limits to my career options perhaps, but whatever, i'll work around those, somehow.

nomemorial

Neo Member
After reading dozens of articles and finding the game interesting, but never wanting to take the plunge, Steam free weekend has finally pushed me over the edge and I'm loving the game so far (only a few hours spent with it). I've watched a fair few tutorial videos and such, but are there any general recommendations for a new player trying to get the most out of the game?

Woorloog

Banned
After reading dozens of articles and finding the game interesting, but never wanting to take the plunge, Steam free weekend has finally pushed me over the edge and I'm loving the game so far (only a few hours spent with it). I've watched a fair few tutorial videos and such, but are there any general recommendations for a new player trying to get the most out of the game?

Talk to others. Seriously. Ask for help, a lot of people are helpful. Also, read EVE-Uni wiki for stuff.
EDIT Also, being social keeps the game much more fun.

What race you play as BTW? What NPC Corp you in?

nomemorial

Neo Member
Talk to others. Seriously. Ask for help, a lot of people are helpful. Also, read EVE-Uni wiki for stuff.
EDIT Also, being social keeps the game much more fun.

What race you play as BTW? What NPC Corp you in?

Minmatar and it looks like I'm currently in Republic University corp. I've just been mining ore to earn ISK and completing default quests since I started, haha.

Woorloog

Banned
Ah, i asked mostly if you had happened to belong to SAK (caldari NPC corp, can't recall actual name lol).

EDIT Oh, right, i'm Owen Blake in-game, add contact with notification.

Woorloog

Banned
So, this day was both good and bad.
Got two DED sites, one 3/10 and one 4/10.
Got good loot from 3/10, shared with another guy, thus netting me about 33 million.
The problem is, at 4/10 i lost my ship (Caracal, the other guy flew Drake) along with some noob-valuable stuff like a Mobile Depot. And to cap this, this site lacked the main loot for some reason.... sigh.
Oh, well, shit happens, and all in all it was a profitable day... ignoring how long i played.

Top Bottom