• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve Alpha delayed for PS4 due to the 2.0 firmware update

How is this Sony's fault? Every other game in the console's library functions fine on the new update (DriveClub aside). How could it not be the dev's fault?

So the game doesn't even work on PS4, and on top of that no PC players can connect.

And the Xbox One version came out earlier?

Normally I'm not this biased, but this screams moneyhat.

Youre seriously suggesting microsoft paid for them to sabotage the ps4 version of an ALPHA?

Dude.....cmon.

Cmon.

Its working fine on PC and i assume xbox one, and driveclub is broken as hell as well on ps4. But no, im sure MS paid to turn an announced alpha off for 1/2 the console playerbase.

tkalamba

2014 is the year of the idiotic conspiracy theory.

Have you tried today? It was really bad for me yesterday but has been solid for the last ~3 hours I played.

At work, haven't tried since last night. My brother and I got stuck just watching the red circle for quire a while. We just gave up and played Sunset.

Trace

Banned
WTF? We know that MS had a deal in place for the early alpha, but you think it also involved borking their own game on 2 other platforms? Hope this is sarcasm.

Only half sarcasm. It seems fairly obvious more time was spent on the Xbox One version, as in it actually works atm.

Maybe it's due to Shareplay and people being able to play the game even if they don't have access to the alpha? Sounds like an NDA nightmare.
Sony give devs the option to disable SharePlay for alphas and betas. I can't imagine it's a terribly complicated process.

Killer

Banned
So the game doesn't even work on PS4, and on top of that no PC players can connect.

Every Sony fuck up blame it on MS.

Got it.

Daemul

2d46a_ORIG-Sisko_groan.gif

ObiDin

Only half sarcasm. It seems fairly obvious more time was spent on the Xbox One version, as in it actually works atm.

"More time was spent" as in it came out first, had problems and is only now getting smoothed out? Give the dev time to work it out on all platforms and stop with the conspiracy theories.

Einbroch

Banned
Seems like the 2.0 update changed some code with the networking that Evolve used and they either weren't aware or weren't aware of the impact.

Not a big deal, but kinda a bummer.

WTF? We know that MS had a deal in place for the early alpha, but you think it also involved borking their own game on 2 other platforms? Hope this is sarcasm.

I don't see why its so unrealistically its basically what they are doing with tomb raider, paying so that other players cant have it on time

Xando

As someone who hasn't been able to get their PS4 to start up normally since the update, I'd say it's been a problem for me.

Stop putting it in rest mode then?
I have the glitch aswell, just turn it off completely when you're done playing and you will have no issues.

This smells like BS to me. They are only just figuring out now that it doesn't work with 2.0? They would have had access to this firmware weeks or months ago - there's no way this comes as a shock to them.

My guess is that their alpha is broken on PC and PS4 and they have a convenient excuse for the PS4 version so they took it.

lol @ the MS conspiracy folks. Wow

jesu

X1 here and I can't play either.
Must have forgotten to pay my moneyhat fund subscription this month.

My PS4 stuck with blinking orange lights that won't come out of it for nothing isn't.

As someone who hasn't been able to get their PS4 to start up normally since the update, I'd say it's been a problem for me.

IMO one bug doesnt equate to 2.0 causing more headache than improvements. The rest mode issue is probably something that will get cleaned up in the next stability(woohoo) update. Besides the rest bug can be avoided by not putting your PS4 in rest mode or am I mistaken?

From what ive seen of streams the game has some problems with its servers. To be expected since its an Alpha test. Im gonna take the stance that 2.0 isnt the cause and theyre just trying to sure up their backend a bit more.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I don't see why its so unrealistically its basically what they are doing with tomb raider, paying so that other players cant have it on time

Then they would have made the alpha XB1 only. In the magical candyland world where MS moneyhatted the alpha to fuck up on PC and PS4, nothing is accomplished beyond actually putting Evolve in the spotlight in a negative way.

Just how do you think this stuff works?

Do you really think phil spencer, darth vader, mugatu, scar from the lion king, and other evil figures sit in microsofts board room, saying

"Yes, we will buy temporary exclusivity of a game....SO PEOPLE WHO BOUGHT PS4s CANT HAVE IT!!! MUAHAHAHAHAHAAHA!"

"And while we're at it, we'll have an independent 3rd party developer SAY an alpha starts on halloween weekend, but then it wont! BAAAHAHAHAHA!"

Or ya know, maybe there are just some issues with the 2.0 firmware. But that sounds much more insane i know.

Wait how is this a 2.0 problem if people having trouble on the PC and Xbox One?
Well, we don't actually know what the problem is WRT 2.0. Yes, they're having issues on other platforms, but presumably it not the same issues as what caused the delay of the PS4 alpha.

Maybe the game just doesn't display correctly in the new Dynamic Menu or something. I don't see why people assume it's related to netcode.

Einbroch

Banned
LBP3 beta works just fine on 2.0.

Each company is different. It's possible that Evolve depended on some old code for whatever, and it was either overlooked or not communicated, and thus we have this issue.

That's probably all it is. People shouting money hat or anything else are pretty ridiculous.

Chris_C

Last week when Sony said they were releasing 2.0 'just in time for the biggest games of the year', I couldn't help but think that was a stupid thing to do.

Top Bottom