• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve Alpha delayed for PS4 due to the 2.0 firmware update

I've been playing it on X1 and so far it's kind of meh for me. Might not be missing out on much, tbh.

It doesn't help that it's missing quite a bit of the match formation features. It is by far not a random-friendly game, nor is it something you can just jump in and jack around like with Halo or COD.

Gestault

Because I know how shit works with game releases.

That's not a real response to what I asked. In a situation where you're saying the devs involved are deliberately lying to hide their failings, it's hard to just take someone at their word. You're saying, more or less, "trust me." I haven't seen a reason to yet.

Just to be clear, because I want to be fair about this, you're suggesting it's impossible for a firmware update to cause issues with pre-release game software. The devs have said that's why there is a delay for the alpha. That doesn't sound unreasonable, considering what I know.

How long did you play?

I've played for about 2 hours or so.

I agree. Feels like a $30 game to me.

Yup, for sure. $20 for me at best, though will it have an SP campaign?

It doesn't help that it's missing quite a bit of the match formation features. It is by far not a random-friendly game, nor is it something you can just jump in and jack around like with Halo or COD.

Yea, I think it has potential, but only it'll truly work is if you have a good monster and a party of friends so you can actually get some strategy going on.

Sethh

So that's the reason I couldn't connect today. I've downloaded it yesterday hoping to try it out tonight but I guess it's not gonna happen. Anyone knows how long is the delay?

Yea, I think it has potential, but only it'll truly work is if you have a good monster and a party of friends so you can actually get some strategy going on.

I believe it is online MP only.

MP only.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
Yeah, I thought the game was super boring from the previous alpha, where as everyone who played it at trade shows loved it. I don't know what the disconnect is.

Wollveren

Banned
So the game doesn't even work on PS4, and on top of that no PC players can connect.

And the Xbox One version came out earlier?

Normally I'm not this biased, but this screams moneyhat.

What the hell kind of money hat is that... I mean really. "Yeah so guys go ahead and release the alpha, BUT MAKE SURE IT DOESN'T WORK"... Thats not how money hats work anyways.

That's not a real response to what I asked. In a situation where you're saying the devs involved are deliberately lying to hide their failings, it's hard to just take someone at their word. You're saying, more or less, "trust me." I haven't seen a reason to yet.

Just to be clear, because I want to be fair about this, you're suggesting it's impossible for a firmware update to cause issues with pre-release game software. The devs have said that's why there is a delay for the alpha. That doesn't sound unreasonable, considering what I know.

Trust me? What I said is what how the industry works. It's fact.

And about hiding their failings, PC can't even play right now because of matchmaking issues, so they obviously have failings that are quite apparent.

Edit: Some Xbone users are having problems, not all.

Yeah, I thought the game was super boring from the previous alpha, where as everyone who played it at trade shows loved it. I don't know what the disconnect is.

Just a random guess, but at trade shows you're probably next to or in the same room as the other people on your team. In a game that relies heavily on communication and teamwork that can make a big difference compared to playing with random people on the internet.

Tough Month for Sony in regards to this. DC is/was a disaster, 2.00 has caused issues and now this. While I still believe that there is too much blame put on Sony for the DC and Evolve issues, the 2.00 stuff is inexcusable.

This case specifically, we have no idea what about the 2.00 update has actually caused issues. Was it Turtle Rock that dropped the ball or was it something on Sony's end? Like people have mentioned, TR should have had the 2.00 info a while ago and should have been able to prepare. BUT with the issues the firmware has had, there are signs of a last minute change that maybe didn't make it's way to TR.

The perception of this is not good and Sony needs to get it's shit in order because although this may not be completely their fault they will get the blame and they will need to fix what ever is leading to the lack of QA or processes in place that are leading to these issues.

Faenix1

all this FW 2.0 crap makes me wish I bought the PSN stores protection plan now.

Never bought a warranty before. (Though I usually waited 1-2 years lol)

Altima

This is one of the most disappointed thing that happened to me.

I gathered 5 friends to be ready for the game on PS4 and expected for a lot of fun but we cannot play it.

I expected a problem in the alpha but postpone without time frame is too much.

This game relies on the other players playing well for it to be fun. The alpha test is going to draw a much wider range of players and include many who know nothing about the game, but are trying it out because it's free. Add to that the fact that the game just dumps you into the action and you've got a recipe for some dull boring matches where either the monster gets killed instantly, or is chased around the match for most of the game.

Why doesn't Sony do a OS beta program like Xbox?

I feel like a lot of these problems would have been caught by people who don't mind dealing with a few issues to get the new features before anyone else.?

th4tguy

But it won all those awards for best game of E3 and Gamescom!

Played this game at Pax. Once I realized that everything I've seen about the game, is basically everything there is to the game, I lost interest. I'd probably pick it up at a reduced price, but at full $60, it's just not enough game to make it worth it.

wowzors

I feel like a lot of these problems would have been caught by people who don't mind dealing with a few issues to get the new features before anyone else.?

That would undoubtedly end in disaster for the testers.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
... dull boring matches where either the monster gets killed instantly, or is chased around the match for most of the game.
This describes my experience to a T. It's not like cod, MP destiny, or L4D where you can have a decent time with pubbies. It's going to be a tough sell unless they get proper match making options in the alpha to turn the tide of "meh" surrounding the game pre-launch.

VariantX

I don't think so, as I thought my console was bricked after the console refused to come out of rest mode

Fuck, no access to an alpha game preview that a lot of vocal GAFers don't like.

RIP Sony.

FTFY. I'm actually surprised at how well GAF is receiving the upcoming COD title, given how those types of loose, non-PC or Bungie based shooters are received around here. But then again, COD didn't make the offense of stealing meaningless rewards from GAF darlings like FROMsoft titles or The Witcher 3.

for christ sake it's an alpha!!!

You people are acting like it's the end of the world when it's probably delayed because of shareplay.

Neither of the big problems this month seem to be directly Sony's fault. From what I've heard the Driveclub issues are a bug in their code and this seems to be them not preparing their alpha for 2.0. No other games have been broken so it's on them.

I'm all for shitting in companies if their stuff is broken but I don't think this is Sony's fault. Still, I'm speaking based on what I've heard so take this as you will.

Wait... I just thought of something...

I'm playing NBA 2K15 fine in their shitty servers.

So how in the hell is it Sony's fault that it's been delayed? Obviously this is not a server issue as these games are being played directly through 2K servers... So why is this suddenly Sony's fault exactly? Can someone explain to me how Sony servers, which are working perfectly fine right now has any bearing on why this alpha cannot be played when they are actually blaming this on the firmware....

.... Which is not tied to the servers?

This makes no sense.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Trust me? What I said is what how the industry works. It's fact.

And about hiding their failings, PC can't even play right now because of matchmaking issues, so they obviously have failings that are quite apparent.

Edit: Some Xbone users are having problems, not all.

Not sure why you feel that it's impossible that problems can be discovered at any moment. Sony had access to their own patch the entire time yet it had a major bug upon release. DriveClub had an extra year of development and didn't know their net code was completely broken until release.

I'm not sure why the devs would be lying in this case.

-MB-

Not sure why you feel that it's impossible that problems can be discovered at any moment. Sony had access to their own patch the entire time yet it had a major bug upon release. DriveClub had an extra year of development and didn't know their net code was completely broken until release.

I'm not sure why the devs would be lying in this case.

Because Sony could neve rbe at fault here, so it must be devs lying obv :p

for christ sake it's an alpha!!!

You people are acting like it's the end of the world when it's probably delayed because of shareplay.

Sorry, no. This isn't Alpha the game launches in four months, this is PR Early Access please be excite, just like it was for Destiny.

Guess what, I'm not excite. For the game to work you are going to need matchmaking on a level that we haven't seen before. You are going to need great communication and teamwork, good luck with that.

The vast majority of the matches are going to be a one sided super fast fight or an exceedingly long game of keep away followed by a super fast fight.

Top Bottom