• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve Alpha delayed for PS4 due to the 2.0 firmware update

This smells like BS to me. They are only just figuring out now that it doesn't work with 2.0? They would have had access to this firmware weeks or months ago - there's no way this comes as a shock to them.

My guess is that their alpha is broken on PC and PS4 and they have a convenient excuse for the PS4 version so they took it.

lol @ the MS conspiracy folks. Wow

Pretty much this. You cant tell me that they are just finding out that 2.0 is causing problems when theyve had plans for the Alpha for months. I dont buy it.

133.gif

Your post earlier wasn't much better.

Loudninja

Well, we don't actually know what the problem is WRT 2.0. Yes, they're having issues on other platforms, but presumably it not the same issues as what caused the delay of the PS4 alpha.

Maybe the game just doesn't display correctly in the new Dynamic Menu or something. I don't see why people assume it's related to netcode.

Each company is different. It's possible that Evolve depended on some old code for whatever, and it was either overlooked or not communicated, and thus we have this issue.

That's probably all it is. People shouting money hat or anything else are pretty ridiculous.
True guess we have to wait and see.

Az987

all good things
Maybe it's due to Shareplay and people being able to play the game even if they don't have access to the alpha? Sounds like an NDA nightmare.

Pretty sure devs would be able to disable it. Broadcast gameplay gets disabled in some betas.

Vire

This smells like BS to me. They are only just figuring out now that it doesn't work with 2.0? They would have had access to this firmware weeks or months ago - there's no way this comes as a shock to them.

My guess is that their alpha is broken on PC and PS4 and they have a convenient excuse for the PS4 version so they took it.

lol @ the MS conspiracy folks. Wow

Your post is equally ridiculous. You came up with your own conspiracy that it couldn't possibly be related to 2.0...

How do you know they had access to the firmware weeks or months ago?

I'm glad I flipped a coin and it landed on Xboxone in regards to the alpha. What's really pissing me off is how my rest mode on PS4 is completely fucked. I can't even turn the console on from that mode. I had to unplug it from the power source just to turn it on which could've fucked up my shit. MS had done a lot of shit wrong this gen but when it comes to reliability of firmware updates to their OS their still #1. I'm even getting COD on Xboxone because I'm done with PS+. I'm not paying for online when I can't even connect half the time, I'm looking at you Driveclub. Though I guess it's come out that there was problems with the netcode. The fact that it takes them 3 weeks to tell us that though is BS. I love my PS4 but I'm finding that I'm enjoying playing my Xboxone more and more everyday and shit like update 2.0 is just giving me more reasons to not trust Sony when it comes to the online side of things.

Experien

Just how do you think this stuff works?

Do you really think phil spencer, darth vader, mugatu, scar from the lion king, and other evil figures sit in microsofts board room, saying

"Yes, we will buy temporary exclusivity of a game....SO PEOPLE WHO BOUGHT PS4s CANT HAVE IT!!! MUAHAHAHAHAHAAHA!"

"And while we're at it, we'll have an independent 3rd party developer SAY an alpha starts on halloween weekend, but then it wont! BAAAHAHAHAHA!"

Or ya know, maybe there are just some issues with the 2.0 firmware. But that sounds much more insane i know.

Not to that extent but they kind of do have mentality of temporary exclusivity cause they say it plants a seed in consumers mind that it is an Xbox exclusive/game.

In regards to the Alpha...I think it is Turtle Rock having issues with netcode and the like.

Justified

Sony needs to blow up that OS/Firmware team.

Move it to the West like people are calling for or light a fire under their ass or something

So the game doesn't even work on PS4, and on top of that no PC players can connect.

And the Xbox One version came out earlier?

Normally I'm not this biased, but this screams moneyhat.

You're accusing Microsoft of moneyhatting an alpha now?

Now I've heard everything...

EDIT: I stand corrected, apparently Microsoft did pay for the Alpha to come out first on their platform. But I still doubt that they intentionally paid for Turtle Rock to break the PS4 version.

Other than your feelings that it really shouldn't have happened, do you have a reason why your point has more credibility than the word of the devs? It's alpha software which they had packaged and ready to go, and in light of the new FW update (which has recognized issues), it's suddenly not functional. So whether it's by someone's word or a very obvious way the scenario played out, I don't understand your assertion.

Because I know how shit works with game releases.

That sounds suspicious to me. If there were problems with the 2.0 patch then why hasn't every other game on the PS4 been affected.

It's pretty obvious that their servers are getting hammered. If the PS4 users started playing, things would have gotten much much worse. That's not proof, but it is a bit too convenient that they suddenly discovered that the PS4 version of the game doesn't work with the 2.0 patch thus preventing the extra load on their servers which obviously couldn't handle it.

That's actually a good thing. I'll be playing the PC version now and PS4 version later. Well, that's assuming I will like the game.

Just how do you think this stuff works?

Do you really think phil spencer, darth vader, mugatu, scar from the lion king, and other evil figures sit in microsofts board room, saying

"Yes, we will buy temporary exclusivity of a game....SO PEOPLE WHO BOUGHT PS4s CANT HAVE IT!!! MUAHAHAHAHAHAAHA!"

"And while we're at it, we'll have an independent 3rd party developer SAY an alpha starts on halloween weekend, but then it wont! BAAAHAHAHAHA!"

Or ya know, maybe there are just some issues with the 2.0 firmware. But that sounds much more insane i know.

i wasn't saying i thought this was whats happening, i'm just asking why its so hard to believe after knowing what they are doing with tomb raider? Even paying to have the alpha a day early on xbox one will do nothing for them, but they still do that?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Exactly what is it about 2.0 that's preventing them launching the Alpha? I've been playing online fine. Seems to me a pass the buck situation. Servers too busy because of the XB1 version? Not wanting to tread on the toes that pay you most?

I've got a feeling this isn't going to end well for the developers and publishers of Evolve. Sony will not take something like this sitting down. They'll be checking the legitimacy of these claims thoroughly and then reporting on it.

Disguises

My current sub runs out at the end of the year (cancelled due to several outages the past month). Sony really aren't beginning to convince me to resub. They should properly test this stuff.

th4tguy

That's odd. It let me download the Alpha. I just tried playing it to see if it works and I get an error stating servers are at capacity. I assume this is how they are keeping people from playing?

Microsoft did pay for the alpha to be out earlier on Xbox One, that's a fact. The rest is just my conspiracy theory.

I stand corrected, however I think the idea of Microsoft paying Turtle Rock to intentionally sabotage the PS4 version is ridiculous.

At this rate things are gonna get real ugly this holiday season.

barely functional driveclub, borked system functions and alpha delays, all within the same month.

pelican

Turtle Rock has found a scapegoat on something of theirs that doesn't work. That's what some people are saying.

Who are these people, and how would they know?

Considering the Alpha is playable on the other platforms (was playing the Xbone version last night) and there have been several issues with Update 2.0 I am inclined to believe them.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Exactly what is it about 2.0 that's preventing them launching the Alpha? I've been playing online fine. Seems to me a pass the buck situation. Servers too busy because of the XB1 version? Not wanting to tread on the toes that pay you most?

Likely a bug in the code that is incompatible with something 2.0 changed.

But let's just toss logic out the window.

Your post is equally ridiculous. You came up with your own conspiracy that it couldn't possibly be related to 2.0...

How do you know they had access to the firmware weeks or months ago?

It's my understanding that firmware and SDK updates are provided to developers well in advance of entering production.

However, I could absolutely be wrong so please don't take my post as fact. But I still don't think I what I said is nearly as crazy as people suggesting that Microsoft paid to have an alpha for a game intentionally delayed on PS4.

Narratives, man. All of a sudden everything is Sony's fault and they, as a company, have become entirely incompetent at all things network. Logic be damned.

Boke1879

Mini rant here.

As a huge fan of the playstation brand they really need to get their shit together in terms of their OS and network infrastructure.

When your FW updates cause more problems than features it's adding I'm sorry but that is laziness and incompetence in my eyes.

If Sonys current FW and OS team can't adequately test and push software. Then it's time to scrap that team and put in a more capable one.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Mini rant here.

As a huge fan of the playstation brand they really need to get their shit together in terms of their OS and network infrastructure.

When your FW updates cause more problems than features it's adding I'm sorry but that is laziness and incompetence in my eyes.

If Sonys current FW and OS team can't adequately test and push software. Then it's time to scrap that team and put in a more capable one.

seeing as how gct still exists for US PSN...don't see something like that happening.

Krakn3Dfx

Yeah this thread is about to be a battleground. Im out.

Agreed.
seinfeld-George-Costanza-im-out-of-here-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-345.gif

I've been playing it on X1 and so far it's kind of meh for me. Might not be missing out on much, tbh.

This pretty much sums up my feeling from playing the earlier alpha on Steam and now again. Game still needs a lot of work to seem appealing, right now the only thing that trumps how repetitive it is would be how boring it is running back and forth on a map for 5-10 minutes for a 2-3 minute fight, only to rinse and repeat.

Top Bottom