• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ewan McGregor to Star in Fargo S3 [Up: S3 premieres Wednesday, April 19th]

Status
Not open for further replies.

santi_yo

YIJfm.gif

harSon

Banned
I powered through Seasons 1 and 2 a few months ago. Both seasons were awesome, with standout performances littered through out. I feel bad for writing the show off as a bad idea when I first caught wind of it.

And this show continues to make some of the best casting choices around. Glad its taking 2016 off. Can't wait for its glorious return.

SD-Ness

Although I loved the first season of True Detective, I feel like Fargo was way overshadowed by the former because of its two leads and TD's overall stylishness. But, to me, Fargo wins overall. Such a good combo of drama and comedy.

Khaliss

Banned
Thank you for the good news Cornballer!

I'm so grateful some of you are actually proactive and keeping in touch with what's happening while I'm totally oblivious and drinking beers while playing DOOM.

You keep my passive lazy ass updated & I'm thankful.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Didn't care much for season 2 but it was good enough to keep me around and casting Ewan definitely raises the excitement for season 3.

TheJoRu

I have a good feeling about this. The negotiations were short, I reckon; to me it's good gets for both the show and for Ewan.

Dice//

Banned
was s2 any good? I still have to get on that

It has a larger cast and they all manage to stay pretty interesting. You get less screentime dedicated to each of them though, arguably a pretty big element with what made S1 so great. I disliked the atmosphere of S2 a bit compared to S1, but I did think it managed to keep the drama and intensity just as high.

The stories of season 1 and 2 are completely unrelated in every way right?
I couldn't get into season 1 at all and stoped after a couple of episodes but I"m thinking about giving season 2 a try..

ezekial45

Banned
The stories of season 1 and 2 are completely unrelated in every way right?
I couldn't get into season 1 at all and stoped after a couple of episodes but I"m thinking about giving season 2 a try..
Season 2 is sort of a prequel of sorts to S1, focusing on the Sioux Falls case.The central character is Lou Solverson in the 1970s, who was Molly's dad (who owned the diner in S1).

You can still totally watch s2 without finishing the first one, but a lot of the nods won't make sense.

Moff

this sounds fantastic, love the idea of completely different brothers played by the same actor, and Ewan McGregor even, greatness ahead

Jb

So stoked they're able to cast some cool actors. What they've managed to do with this show is really awesome.

I love Fargo (the movie) and that's why I've actually steered cleared from the TV series, in case it wasn't that good and therefore would alter my thoughts on Fargo forever lol, but based on what everyone is saying the TV series seems to be worth watching.

I love Fargo (the movie) and that's why I've actually steered cleared from the TV series, in case it wasn't that good and therefore would alter my thoughts on Fargo forever lol, but based on what everyone is saying the TV series seems to be worth watching.

While I felt the same prior to the first season, it honestly is very respectful of the movie and captures a somewhat similar vibe. References to the movie rarely feel out of place and the acting is of a very high calibre. I wouldn't let a love of the movie deter you; if anything, it'll enhance your enjoyment of the TV series.

Revolver

Bummer we're not getting a new season this fall but it's nice they're taking their time on it. First season is still my favorite but S2 was really good too. Kirsten Dunst should have won that Golden Globe dammit.

Season 2 is sort of a prequel of sorts to S1, focusing on the Sioux Falls case.The central character is Lou Solverson in the 1970s, who was Molly's dad (who owned the diner in S1).

You can still totally watch s2 without finishing the first one, but a lot of the nods won't make sense.

Huh, alright. I guess I'll mudde through it one of these days when I'm bored.

i always found martin freeman's accent in this show so funny. i mean it works but knowing where he is from and how he usually sounds in other shows it was such a big impact.

i wonder how mcgregor will fare with a minnesotan accent

Nothing really that new, but there's a new article about Season 3 and some words from Hawley.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/05/31/fargo-season-3-noah-hawley-ewan-mcgregor-sibling-rivalry

We got our first bit of Fargo season 3 casting news recently when it was announced Ewan McGregor will play two roles on the show — those of real estate mogul Emmit Stussy and his younger cop brother Ray. And when showrunner Noah Hawley stopped by Entertainment Weekly Radio (SiriusXM, channel 105) on Tuesday, he confirmed that a sibling rivalry between the two will play a major role in the next installment of the anthology series.

“Yeah, I think that’s a safe assumption,” says Hawley. “The fun thing with the show is that for whatever reason I had to figure out how to tell what purports to be a Coen brothers story, and it always tends to start with a catalyst. The first year was two men in an emergency room, the second year was a woman driving home with a man stuck in the windshield of her car, and this year it starts with these two brothers.”

Hawley went on to explain: “There is an old wound between them that sort of gets reopened and re-litigated, and that rivalry becomes contentious and that sort of puts all the events in motion. The fun soup of it is you have to have enough moving parts that everything is on a collision course, but which parts are going to collide? There’s this element of randomness to it, which I think adds to the truthiness of our fake true story. So, it starts with Ewan and Ewan as brothers. It’s not as big character-wise a story as the second year, but I’m really excited about it.”

While the family dynamics of the Stussy family appear to be taking center stage for season 3, a lot of fans want to know if we might be seeing any Solversons (Molly! Lou! Both!) when the show picks back up in the year 2010. “I don’t know if we’re going to see any,” replies Hawley. “We might drive by a couple on the road. What’s fun about the show is that it always connects in some way, either to the movie or to one of our other seasons and I like that those connections are sometimes very literal like with the backstory of Lou Solverson, and sometimes they’re more tangential.”

There's audio from Hawley at the link.

Fargo Taps The Leftovers' Carrie Coon as Female Lead in Season 3
Fargo continues to flaunt its impressive casting mojo, tapping The Leftovers‘ Carrie Coon to join the Season 3 ensemble opposite the previously cast Ewan McGregor, TVLine has learned exclusively.

Coon, who is currently in Australia shooting the third and final season of The Leftovers, will play the series-regular role of Gloria Burgle, a practical woman who grabs the fire extinguisher when the bacon catches fire and everyone else panics. Gloria is the chief of the Eden Valley police, and a newly divorced mother, who is struggling to understand this new world around her where people connect more intimately with their phones than the people right in front of them.
Excellent news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom