• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Explosions at Istanbul Aiport (Up: 31 dead, dozens injured)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dankir

I flew into Turkey at the end of Jan. going to India and then back to Canada through Turkey towards the end of the Feb.

There was a terrorist bombing or two if I'm not mistaken in Istanbul while I was in India. When we flew back the increase in security was insane. We didn't even leave the terminal and still had to go through multiple checkpoints and another one at the departure gate.

Whoever pulled this off must of have been really lucky to get inside the terminal or even close.

There is an image of an automatic weapon lying on the floor of the terminal. It seems the attacker(s) fired rounds before detonating a bomb(s).

I'm sick and tired of these posts on Gaf. Everytime there's a tragedy somewhere there's always an idiot whose first thought is " WELL THEY WON'T BE GETTING MY TOURIST DOLLARS ANYTIME SOON. WHAT A SHITHOLE OF A COUNTRY "

Who gives a fuck dude ? There has just been another terrorist attack. Many people are prob dead. And all you can think about is how you won't be able to visit ?

Way to exaggerate. Nobody called Turkey a "shithole" of a country, just a dangerous one, which is a valid statement.

we should just fucking give up, let the terrorists have what they want.

i cant take many more years of this pure insanity. there is no stopping them besides caving in, which we should have done a decade ago. ask them what they want and give it to them.

GHG

i cant take many more years of this pure insanity. there is no stopping them besides caving in, which we should have done a decade ago. ask them what they want and give it to them.

The problem is, this is what they want.

There is no easy way to end this unfortunately.

keffri

saywha.gif

Despera

Banned

They want you dead.

Jasup

Well fuck, very sad news. Let's hope for minimal casualties, preferrably none. But I'm not too optimistic about that.
:(

sflufan

Banned

Jesus Christ, man. Get hold of yourself!

sirap

What? Giving them what they want would only encourage them further. Why would anyone want to give them more power?

Hmm... Your user name is throwing me for a loop on this one...

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Terrible, hope no one innocent was killed :(

Some of my coworkers are scheduled to go to Turkey for work in the next few months, they should be offered hazard pay at this rate :/

This can't possibly be a serious post, guys.

what they want is to kill various people.

so no, let's not let them have what they want.

Never run for public office

Yes, actually, we should give the PKK what they want. The Kurdish should have their own country of Kurdistan. This has been obvious since forever.

I'm sick and tired of these posts on Gaf. Everytime there's a tragedy somewhere there's always an idiot whose first thought is " WELL THEY WON'T BE GETTING MY TOURIST DOLLARS ANYTIME SOON. WHAT A SHITHOLE OF A COUNTRY "

Who gives a fuck dude ? There has just been another terrorist attack. Many people are prob dead. And all you can think about is how you won't be able to visit ?

He didn't say anything about tourist dollars or shithole country. It IS really sad and unfortunate that it's becoming unsafe to visit these interesting and beautiful parts of the world and experiencing their cultures. People are getting closed off from eachother by deplorable acts like this and yes, innocent people are losing their lives.

Hopefully the casualties are minimal.

dc89

/sigh
At this point what else can you say apart from you hope the injured pull through and casualties are at a minimum.

Local Turkish news in English: http://www.trtworld.com/live

40 taken to hospitals

Reports that gunmen detonated explosives before trying to go past security check areas

This is gonna be the new thing. I believe it is inevitable it happens in the US, perhaps just with guns as they are easier to acquire here than explosive materials.

Lots of people bunched together, nowhere to go, no need to sneak through security to inflict mass casualties and terror.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Two explosions, gunfire and several people wounded, acording to Reuters.
Thats really sad.

EGM1966

Been through there lots of times. Hope no one killed.

World definately fragmenting currently. Damn depressing on pretty much every front.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
The absolute and total stupidity of suicide bombers will never cease to be infuriating.

Hopefully the wounded will make it.

what do you think would happen if everyone gave up? They would peacefully take over?

Diancecht

I am going there tomorrow (I guess now it will be cancelled). I might have dodged a bullet. What would happen if decided to buy a ticket for today? Fuck this shit. I have enough of this. I am shaking like crazy and about to lose my fucking mind.

Yes, actually, we should give the PKK what they want. The Kurdish should have their own country of Kurdistan. This has been obvious since forever.

I agree that this should happen but there are so many Kurdish groups you lose count
and some are competing against each other and also hate each other thus creating a power vacuum

then you'd have to address the other Kurdish regions in those other countries. Plus Turkey would still likely want to have some borders with the middle east

things are not as simple as black and white

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Because the Turkish government has killed thousands of Kurds in state sanctioned violence over the past three decades and they want their independence.
I know why, but for fucks sake the people at the airports didn't do anything!

I'm going to look pretty dumb, though, if this ends up being ISIS. But as an earlier poster noted, the PKK has been upping their violence lately (summer season).

Not condoning violence at all, by the way, just giving context to the people in this thread.

Got in touch with my friend, he was there yesterday, not today. Thank goodness. My heart goes out to those affected, fingers crossed it isn't as bad as it looks but unfortunately that's rarely how it goes.

"We will conquer your Rome, break your crosses, and enslave your women." - ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi

Zelias

Banned
Fucking hell.

Come on, you know this is not even remotely an option.

Pagusas

Elden Member

God damn coward.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Two explosions hit Istanbul's main international airport on Tuesday, wounding several people, a Turkish official said, in what appeared to be the latest in a string of attacks in Turkey's biggest city this year.

The blasts hit Istanbul Ataturk, Turkey's largest airport and a major transport hub for international travelers. Witnesses also reported hearing gunshots.

The official said there had been two blasts and multiple injuries, without giving further details. Pictures posted on social media from the site showed wounded people lying on the ground inside and outside one of the terminal buildings.

Broadcaster CNN Turk said Turkish officials suspected that suicide bombers were behind the attack but there was no official confirmation of this.

Footage from broadcasters, including CNN Turk, showed ambulances rushing to the scene. One witness told CNN Turk that gunfire was heard from the car park at the airport. Taxis were ferrying wounded people from the airport, the witness said.

Turkey has suffered a spate of bombings this year, including two suicide attacks in tourist areas of Istanbul blamed on Islamic State, and two car bombings in the capital, Ankara, which were claimed by a Kurdish militant group.

In the most recent attack, a car bomb ripped through a police bus in central Istanbul during the morning rush hour, killing 11 people and wounding 36 near the main tourist district, a major university and the mayor's office.

Turkey, which is part of the U.S.-led coalition against Islamic State, is also fighting Kurdish militants in its largely Kurdish southeast.

(Reporting by Istanbul bureau; Writing by David Dolan; Editing by Nick Tattersall)

http://uk.reuters.com/article/us-turkey-blast-idUKKCN0ZE2J1

LNBL

The explosions were supposedly at the entrance to the international terminal, which makes sense according to the reporter since there is an immediate security check at that entrance

BosSin

My mum could have gone to Atatürk airport today but she got a ticket for yesterday instead.

These attacks are a damn shame

I agree that this should happen but there are so many Kurdish groups you lose count
and some are competing against each other and also hate each other thus creating a power vacuum

then you'd have to address the other Kurdish regions in those other countries. Plus Turkey would still likely want to have some borders with the middle east

things are not as simple as black and white
Oh I agree that it gets complicated. And you're correct, there are many factions. I'm in favor of developing a broader Kurdistan with parts of Syria, Turkey, and the existing Kurdish region of Iraq. That part of Iraq is very nice and modern.

I don't know about Kurdish activists hating each other. Inevitably in any society groups will hate each other.

I know why, but for fucks sake the people at the airports didn't do anything!

They're desperate.

Can they fuck off already and get their independence elsewhere please?

I say this as a Kurd born in Turkey.

But there's nowhere for them. I mean, I guess they could move to Iraq, but they want the parts of Turkey they feel entitled to.

Not worth all this violence, though.

What kind of joke is this?

Have you not read what happened to the people who have submitted to ISIS in the Middle East? It's not like they want a nice car and a big screen TV, and then they'll go home and leave everyone alone. This is a lifestyle for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom