• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Explosions at Istanbul Aiport (Up: 31 dead, dozens injured)

Status
Not open for further replies.

platocplx

Fuck terrorists and fuck the racist xenophobic people who respond to these attacks with bigotry. We should respond to these senseless acts of hate by uniting with people of all walks of life across the world in shared humanity and kindness. Not dividing ourselves by race or religion and further retreating into our borders. I wish it were possible to have a world without evil, violence, and bigotry.

I agree, all its doing is a feedback loop, they keep giving these guys reasons to want to die and take lives with them. this is awful. seeing that video of the guy detonaing his vest im just taken aback like what could drive anyone to do this, but then i realize how hatred and humanity is an awful awful mix.

Diancecht

Oh man, I'm so so sorry :( Please give the parents a hug from Patrick from Germany! Tell them we feel with them :(

How can they first tell you it's "only" a broken rib when the wounds were, in reality, fatal?

This world is just horrible, man. Here we are worrying about stuff like if one graphics card will give you 5 fps more than the other or if it will run 5° cooler while playing some stupid game, when at the same time shit like this is happening to innocent people somewhere else:(

Thanks.

I have no idea. Her mother told me yesterday that she will survive but all of a sudden... I dare not ask the details as you would guess, I'll try to learn it at the funeral.

Edit: 42 dead, 238 injured is the latest update.

Diffense

No but all religions have an obligation to wipe out internal hatred. This means condemning the call for death to apostates, death to homosexuals, death to abortion docs, death to whoever disagrees with your religion, etc, etc.

All religions have intolerance as a factor. That is a huge problem.

Many mainstream believers of all religions think violence is acceptable to defend their religion. This is where the problem starts.

This.

I actually don't want to get into it in this thread of news and mourning but the fact that Mulsims were the victims of Islamic terror does not erase the problems with the religion. Indeed, in places like Saudi Arabia and Iran where you can be killed for being gay, the victims are obviously going to be predominantly of the same Muslim culture. In Bangladesh people who have spoken out for a more secular society have been targeted and killed. They were Bangladeshi and were raised Muslim. Hirsi Ali, a Somali woman, needs 24-7 security because of her position as an ex-Muslim who calls for reform of Islam.

People who consider themselves Muslims are very diverse and obviously not everyone is going to be "radical". Some people might pray and fast but have no interest in living under Sharia. Christianity is the same. There is tremendous varation in lifestyle among peolpe who consider themselves Christian. There are churches that welcome gays and some Christians vote join the army while there are those which consider such things to be against Biblical directives. While the more fundamentalist groups are clearly on the fringe in the Christian world, I don't think that's necessarily the case with Islam.

Their fundamentalist's power comes from the support they can find in their Holy Scriptures. The Bible has lost a lot of regard as a Holy Book in the secular West and this has simultaneously diminished the force of fundamentalist arguments. However, where scriptures are respected and a preacher/imam can show that they require a certain course of action this is a very powerful recruitment tool. They only have to ask whether you're a "true" Muslim or Christian then proceed to demonstrate, from your own holy texts which you revere, how you have fallen short. How is this natural trajectory toward "radicalization" combatted? I think this is a pertinent question.

While I understand grief I don't think we should allow issues to be warped or swept under the rug as a consequence. Am I to believe that because Muslims kill Muslims that means everything is hunky-dory in Islam and it shouldn't be criticized? That almost seems more homogenizing and dismissive than the people who are making the argument that there are problems that need to be addressed. I am completely consistent whether the victims of Islamic extremism are Asians, Africans, Europeans, Americans, Muslims or Christians. How many people know that around the time of the Brussels attacks two (Boko Haram associated) female suicide bombers blew themselves up in a MOSQUE in Nigeria during morning prayers. This is a global problem.

Anyway, don't want to derail but it's hard to ignore these posts to the effect that: Muslims are killing Muslims so it can't have anything to do with Islam.

NONSENSE!!!

Baybars

Banned
Ayan hirsi is not derided for calling for reform. She is mocked for openly asking for the west to go to war with the muslim world. She is a liar, faked her asylum story and nothing more than opportunist making money of being anti muslim. Not the first and certainly not the last.

Diffense

Ayan hirsi is not derided for calling for reform. She is mocked for openly asking for the west to go to war with the muslim world. She is a liar, faked her asylum story and nothing more than opportunist making money of being anti muslim. Not the first and certainly not the last.

I have not found her to be anti-muslim. In fact, she often makes the distinction between Islam and Muslims.

What I know is absolutely "not the first" is for people who criticize Islam to be victims of character and literal assassination.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
An hour ago I learned that I lost my friend to the attack. Haven't seen her for more then three years but we occasionally chatted online. She was sweet and caring, working two jobs at the same time to provide for her family. Now she is gone and the last memory of her will be her mother's crying on the phone.

I am gutted, shocked and more then anything angered. Attackers were muslim, the victims were muslim. So tell me friends, do you still hate us? Will you close your borders to us? Will you look down on us? Tell your friends and politicians this, tell them that today a muslim lost his muslim friend to a muslim attack.

I am going to Istanbul in couple of hours. The terminal where 36 people have killed.

I'll bury my friend. But I will not bury my anger. It will burn in me for the rest of my life.

I know what a loss like this is like, so I mean it when I say I'm truly sorry to hear this, and my heart and prayers go out to her family, as well as you and those that knew her.

Absolutely heart-breaking.

tfur

I looked on her wiki and must of missed these details. I did just quick glance. Do you have sources or details for this?

Square2015

This.

I actually don't want to get into it in this thread of news and mourning but the fact that Mulsims were the victims of Islamic terror does not erase the problems with the religion. Indeed, in places like Saudi Arabia and Iran where you can be killed for being gay, the victims are obviously going to be predominantly of the same Muslim culture. In Bangladesh people who have spoken out for a more secular society have been targeted and killed. They were Bangladeshi and were raised Muslim. Hirsi Ali, a Somali woman, needs 24-7 security because of her position as an ex-Muslim who calls for reform of Islam.

People who consider themselves Muslims are very diverse and obviously not everyone is going to be "radical". Some people might pray and fast but have no interest in living under Sharia. Christianity is the same. There is tremendous varation in lifestyle among peolpe who consider themselves Christian. There are churches that welcome gays and some Christians vote join the army while there are those which consider such things to be against Biblical directives. While the more fundamentalist groups are clearly on the fringe in the Christian world, I don't think that's necessarily the case with Islam.

Their fundamentalist's power comes from the support they can find in their Holy Scriptures. The Bible has lost a lot of regard as a Holy Book in the secular West and this has simultaneously diminished the force of fundamentalist arguments. However, where scriptures are respected and a preacher/imam can show that they require a certain course of action this is a very powerful recruitment tool. They only have to ask whether you're a "true" Muslim or Christian then proceed to demonstrate, from your own holy texts which you revere, how you have fallen short. How is this natural trajectory toward "radicalization" combatted? I think this is a pertinent question.

While I understand grief I don't think we should allow issues to be warped or swept under the rug as a consequence. Am I to believe that because Muslims kill Muslims that means everything is hunky-dory in Islam and it shouldn't be criticized? That almost seems more homogenizing and dismissive than the people who are making the argument that there are problems that need to be addressed. I am completely consistent whether the victims of Islamic extremism are Asians, Africans, Europeans, Americans, Muslims or Christians. How many people know that around the time of the Brussels attacks two (Boko Haram associated) female suicide bombers blew themselves up in a MOSQUE in Nigeria during morning prayers. This is a global problem.

Anyway, don't want to derail but it's hard to ignore these posts to the effect that: Muslims are killing Muslims so it can't have anything to do with Islam.

NONSENSE!!!
Nicely written. (expect response to be ignored by LeftwingGAF)

spekkeh

Banned
She lied about her asylum case, as do some 60% of refugees arriving in Europe, because otherwise they would have no chance of staying.

This means about as much for her Islam critique as people who categorically deny anything a Muslim says based on Taqiyya.

How terrible it must be to be in or even near that situation...I have an abnormal fear of flying so even being at an airport feels terrible and claustrophobic for me.

Shit, man! :/

I'm not actually scared using public transport but just the thought of this shit happening to me or my friends and family is scary.

kinggroin

Banned
So sorry to hear about this. Hope all your loved ones are safe.

This age of terrorism, needs to be figured out. It needs to be ended.

I know this will sound like crazy conspiracy theory, but I don't think that Russian trail in this is coincidental... Obviously I'm biased because I've seen what Russia did in Ukraine so even craziest conspiracy theories do not sound insane to me anymore.

Blablurn

Central Asia really is on the precipice of being sucked into the same abyss that has swallowed up the Middle East.
China wants to help the countries of central asia at improving their security. Its a noble goal and im glad they are doing it.

Azzanadra

Hey Guys,

I am late to this but I just wanted to offer me condolences and prayers to the victims and their families, and the Turkish people as a whole. I actually had an acquaintance in Turkey at the time, thankfully she is safe.

Interestingly, this thread is only nine pages.... if this happened in say Canada (my country) or the US or anywhere else in Europe, it would have been nearing 100 right now. Not going to say people should be "forced" to have sympathy for tragedies in certain countries, but it is disheartening to see that a country like Turkey is largely ignored in this matter.

Hey Guys,

I am late to this but I just wanted to offer me condolences and prayers to the victims and their families, and the Turkish people as a whole. I actually had an acquaintance in Turkey at the time, thankfully she is safe.

Interestingly, this thread is only nine pages.... if this happened in say Canada (my country) or the US or anywhere else in Europe, it would have been nearing 100 right now. Not going to say people should be "forced" to have sympathy for tragedies in certain countries, but it is disheartening to see that a country like Turkey is largely ignored in this matter.

People don't care because they are trained to believe that terrorism happens there but not where they live.

All part of the plan.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom