• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Extreme Tech: 360 DVD, HD DVD playback still seriously flawed

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

MikeB said:
For example I never owned any of the home consoles of the previous generation.

MikeB said:
...Xbox games offer little replay value.

So if you never owned a PS2 or an Xbox, how do you know Xbox games offer little replay value, and that PS2 games offer more replay value than Xbox games?

Valcrist

So, I guess no one wants to discuss the actual topic? Why don't we just change the thread title into "Complain about MikeB".

bj00rn

Banned
Oh it's you again... You and your 360 vendetta and bogus screenshots... Not exactly the pinnacle of Sony viral marketing are you? But then again; What is...

MikeB said:
The first was a comment with regard to backwards compatibility. The PS3 at the won this hands down, more games and better games. Although I never owned a PS2 I now own many PS2 games, my favourite being God of War 2.

I just said that IMO games like Halo aren't very interested to people if they already own Halo 3.

You write for websites and stuff with that level of english, give it a rest mate your showing yourself up here and im suprised you havent been shut down yet.:lol

xbhaskarx

MikeB said:
Christmas 2007 should be very interesting with Killzone with its fully destructable environments, PS3 Home becoming available and Halo 3 to be released for the XBox 360.

Yeah, Christmas 2007 should be very interesting, see you in the NPD thread in January. :lol

But on a serious note, the PS3 doesn't even need Killzone and Home, because:

MikeB said:
The PS3 is outperforming the Xbox 360...

:lol

Valcrist said:
So, I guess no one wants to discuss the actual topic? Why don't we just change the thread title into "Complain about MikeB".

On that note, i doubt anyone who uses there xbox to play hddvds really cares that much they get what they pay for and what they are getting is a very very good hddvd player at low cost. The rest is geek shit tbh, i doubt many people care about gama test etc etc if they did i highly doubt they would be using a add on for there hddvd playback.

MikeB

Banned
@ Sean

OK, Killzone 2 and Home will take longer, maybe with the E3 demonstration people now understand my enthusiasm for this game at the time. But Killzone 2 looks very promising and probably since Sony bought the company they take some extra time to polish things up.

With regard to the PS2, it still sells very well and is still a great low budget option (Man is God of War 2 good!, well worth the few bucks of the hardware).

I still stand by those words, a lot goes wrong with the XBox 360 hardware (although new hardware may be better, I have no reliable data). And yes, I would still have bought a PS3 if you would have offered me 600 Euro not to buy one, to be honest I would have bought one for a whole lot more, just to have a Cell based system (my main point of interest with regard to the PS3).

Valcrist

supermackem said:
On that note, i doubt anyone who uses there xbox to play hddvds really cares that much they get what they pay for and what they are getting is a very very good hddvd player at low cost. The rest is geek shit tbh, i doubt many people care about gama test etc etc if they did i highly doubt they would be using a add on for there hddvd playback.

I was thinking it was useful for people wondering if they wanted the HD-DVD addon, or the toshiba stand alones.

MikeB

Banned
supermackem said:
You write for websites and stuff with that level of english, give it a rest mate your showing yourself up here and im suprised you havent been shut down yet.:lol

My native language is Dutch and I speak pretty solid German (having worked in Austria for half a year). Usually before publishing an article you let someone else proofread it, on this forum I don't even use a spellchecker. IMO not all too surprising actually. ;-)

Hammer24

Banned
MikeB said:
to be honest I would have bought one for a whole lot more, just to have a Cell based system (my main point of interest with regard to the PS3).

...and taken a second job, amirite? Good to see you know the party line.

Valcrist said:
I was thinking it was useful for people wondering if they wanted the HD-DVD addon, or the toshiba stand alones.

If you can afford it then there is no choice tbh get a standalone. They offer better audio output etc, a big plus of the new hd formats is the new hd audio.

MikeB said:
My native language is Dutch and I speak pretty solid German (having worked in Austria for half a year). Usually before publishing an article you let someone else proofread it, on this forum I don't even use a spellchecker. IMO not all too surprising actually. ;-)

Fair enough mate, you type better english than i do german so sorry on that note, i do however stand by the rest of my post.

MikeB

Banned
xbhaskarx said:
Yeah, Christmas 2007 should be very interesting, see you in the NPD thread in January. :lol

But on a serious note, the PS3 doesn't even need Killzone and Home, because:

:lol

NPD is just for the US (/Canada), the PS3 is already significantly outperforming the 360 in Europe and Japan. Globally I think the PS3 will outperform the 360 this christmas. :)

MikeB said:
@ Sean

OK, Killzone 2 and Home will take longer, maybe with the E3 demonstration people now understand my enthusiasm for this game at the time. But Killzone 2 looks very promising and probably since Sony bought the company they take some extra time to polish things up.

With regard to the PS2, it still sells very well and is still a great low budget option (Man is God of War 2 good!, well worth the few bucks of the hardware).

I still stand by those words, a lot goes wrong with the XBox 360 hardware (although new hardware may be better, I have no reliable data). And yes, I would still have bought a PS3 if you would have offered my 600 Euro not to buy one, to be honest I would have bought one for a whole lot more, just to have a Cell based system (my main point of interest with regard to the PS3).
And here I thought people bought these console thingamajigs to play games on them. Whowudaathunk?

pswii60

Valcrist said:

It depends on which standalone and whether your 360 has HDMI. Some of the standalones only support 1080i, whereas the 360 supports 1080p (via HMDI).

MikeB said:
NPD is just for the US (/Canada), the PS3 is already significantly outperforming the 360 in Europe and Japan. Globally I think the PS3 will outperform the 360 this christmas. :)
Japan is the difference between jack shit and almost nothing in regards to the PS3 and 36o. Meh.
As for Europe, they don't release numbers last I checked to be making quite such claims. Link?

xbhaskarx

MikeB said:

Yeah, once again we'll have to wait and see.:lol

And back in September you wrote:

MikeB said:
The PS3 is outperforming the Xbox 360

Was the PS3 globally outperforming the 360 back in September?

T_Tokyo2010 said:
Didn't really think anyone could make flaws happen in a dvd player this day an age.
HEY MIKE B!! YOU GOT ONE!!! CONGRATS! Surely the hours of work you put into this endeavor was worth it! That's one notch on your belt buddy! :lol

DrXym

MikeB said:
@ Sean

Since playing Killzone Liberation my interest in KZ2 is piqued slightly, however I fear that KZ2 will be too linear and too generic if the walkthrough was anything to go by. I preferred the sometimes massive and open levels of Resistance as well as the battles and smart AI. So R2 interests me a lot more. There is no denying that KZ2 looks absolutely wonderful though.

bj00rn

Banned
TheRipDizz said:
And here I thought people bought these console thingamajigs to play games on them. Whowudaathunk?

Gaming consoles for games...? :lol That is so oldschool man. These days games are only a nostalgic leech on system/company-of-your-choice herd-mentality.

squicken

IronicallyTwisted said:
This thread has officially hit trainwreck status.

Close it. Close it I say!

What? These are the threads that make GAF, GAF. Moar Mike B! What other things has MS done to you and your family? And please make a topic with your Europe numbers. Everyone else seems to only have incomplete data.

DrXym

TheRipDizz said:

I bought a PS3 because it wasnt just a console. If I'm spending €400 or €600 on something, I would be frigging outraged if all it could do is play games. After all, the hardware can easily support video playback, so why not implement it? Why force people to have multiple boxes plugged into their TV when one can do the job?

I play ripped videos on my console as much as I play games. It makes a fine multimedia centre, and it's getting better all the time. Once MPEG 4 pt 2 ASP (divx) movie support is added I'll be a very happy bunny since I won't have to boot into Linux to play them.

MikeB

Banned
Surfheart said:
What I've learned from this thread is that blu-ray barely looks better than upscaled dvd.

That's mostly because the images were downscaled, for example on a SDTV or PAL TV it makes as good as no difference.

chris0701

MikeB said:

You said "PS3 is already ....the 360 in Europe",now you say"PS3 will outperform the 360 this X'mas"

Who let the f* Europe numbers out ?

MikeB

Banned
TheRipDizz said:
Japan is the difference between jack shit and almost nothing in regards to the PS3 and 36o. Meh.
As for Europe, they don't release numbers last I checked to be making quite such claims. Link?

Yes, lots of them, the XBox 360 only really performs well in the UK.

In Iberia (Spain and Portugal) the PS3 has even already even significantly outperformed the total sales of the XBox 360, for Italy it's getting close to this point.

For France and Benelux the PS3 sells and sold very well in comparison to the XBox 360:
http://www.gamekult.com/articles/A0000062510/
http://games.shizzle.be/2007/09/24/playstation-in-de-benelux-enkele-cijfers/

This is quite illustrative with regard to Germany with multiplatform PS3 games outselling any XBox 360 game (which is quite extraordinary IMO, because the install base is still smaller, due to the 1 year and 5 months headstart for the XBox 360):

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=30972

DrXym

Surfheart said:
What I've learned from this thread is that blu-ray barely looks better than upscaled dvd.

A 1080p image contains nearly 7 times as many pixels as a 480p image. Even with the best filtering, an upscaled DVD will be look blurry by comparison to a Blu Ray or HD DVD disk.

ThirdEye

Sean said:
2076029728_b5094156aa.jpg

DrXym said:
A 1080p image contains nearly 7 times as many pixels as a 480p image. Even with the best filtering, an upscaled DVD will be look blurry by comparison to a Blu Ray or HD DVD disk.

It still doesn't look 7 times as good. The technology is worthless to anyone without a great entertainment setup. To anyone watching TV through their 42" flatscreen and listening through their TV speakers, the difference isn't enough to start throwing money at HD movies.

DrXym

IronicallyTwisted said:
It still doesn't look 7 times as good. The technology is worthless to anyone without a great entertainment setup. To anyone watching TV through their 42" flatscreen and listening through their TV speakers, the difference isn't enough to start throwing money at HD movies.

Say what? You spend all that money on speakers and TV and you don't want noticeably better picture quality?

Norml

IronicallyTwisted said:

DVD upscale vs BD

6jfs7zb.png

Blu-ray is well worth it imo.

MikeB said:
Yes, lots of them, the XBox 360 only really performs well in the UK.

In Iberia (Spain and Portugal) the PS3 has even already even significantly outperformed the total sales of the XBox 360, for Italy it's getting close to this point.

For France and Benelux the PS3 sells and sold very well in comparison to the XBox 360:
http://www.gamekult.com/articles/A0000062510/
http://games.shizzle.be/2007/09/24/playstation-in-de-benelux-enkele-cijfers/

This is quite illustrative with regard to Germany with multiplatform PS3 games outselling any XBox 360 game (which is quite extraordinary IMO, because the install base is still smaller, due to the 1 year and 5 months headstart for the XBox 360):

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=30972
Sooo what you're basically telling me is............you don't have any numbers. Ok.

DrXym

IronicallyTwisted said:
What money?

A 42" flatscreen most likely costs $2000 or more, especially one that has 1080p. Are you saying you buy such a TV and then aren't prepared to use its HD output for anything?

BTW I'm not saying people should buy HD discs if they own the DVD already, but if you have the pre-requisite kit then it doesn't make much sense to continue to buy DVDs if there are HD equivalents that offer far better picture quality.

DrXym said:
A 42" flatscreen most likely costs $2000 or more, especially one that has 1080p. Are you saying you buy such a TV and then aren't prepared to use its HD output for anything?

BTW I'm not saying people should buy HD discs if they own the DVD already, but if you have the pre-requisite kit then it doesn't make much sense to continue to buy DVDs if there are HD equivalents that offer far better picture quality.

$2000? They don't even cost that much in Australian dollars.

Valcrist

IronicallyTwisted said:
If only we watched movies zooming in on background props whist sitting 7 inches from the TV. I'm not arguing theres not a difference, I just don't think many people care. I know I don't.

what. hd content looks insanely better. It's night and day on an hdtv set. You might as well throw in the graphics dont matter to people argument as well.

MikeB

Banned
TheRipDizz said:
Sooo what you're basically telling me is............you don't have any numbers. Ok.

A lot of telling GfK data is available on the web, I won't leak the full reports. You just how to trust me that the PS3 is significantly outselling the XBox 360 in Europe and the rest of the World overall except for the UK and North America, but it may even get close for christmas:

US/UK/Dutch Christmas wishlists, according to researched data:

Survey for the UK (aged 25 to 34, there wasn't distinguished between gender):

Energizer’s top ten gadgets this year are:

1. High-Definition TV
2. Nintendo Wii
3. Laptop
4. Satellite navigation system
5. Digital camera
6. Nintendo DS Lite
7. Sony PS3
8. iPod/MP3 player
9. Mobile phone
10. Digital radio

It looks like the PS3 is more desirable than the XBox 360.

Top 5 christmas wishlist for my country (Dutch aged 12-18, consultancy bureau Ernst & Young survey):

Girls:

1) shoes or accessories (72 percent)
2) laptop (54 percent)
3) new mobile phone (46 percent)
4) weekend trip (45 percent)
5) iPod (42 percent)

Boys:

1) laptop (48 percent)
2) new mobile telephone (44 percent)
3) Playstation 3 (43 percent)
4) iPod (43 percent)
5) PSP (39 percent)

Interestingly no Wii or DS... I really thought it would be far more desirable amongst this age group this christmas!

A comparison with the US, survey amongst 8-17 olds in the US:

"The Wii was on 32% of wish lists, the Sony PlayStation 3 on 19% and Microsoft Xbox 360 on 17%."

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/gaming/2007-11-19-wii-shopping_N.htm

That's more like I was expecting from such an age group. Kids in the US love the Wii, more so than US adults (especially male adults) it seems! But it's still interesting it seems the PS3 is more popular than the XBox 360 (even in the US, the XBox' by far largest market).

US Adults:

US holiday wishlist for 2007, according to Solutions Research Group (SRG) for Digital Life America:

1) HDTV
2) Laptop
3) Digital Camera
4) Desktop computer
5) Car GPS system
6) New Cell phone
7) Video Camera
8) Nintendo Wii
9) PS3
10) Blu-Ray or HD DVD player

Apple Laptop just missed the top 10 at 11th spot, so maybe Laptop should be number 1 if combined. The PS3 was higher on the list than the Wii regarding men, but women preffered the Wii so overall according to the survey the Wii is more desirable for christmas.

Another survey regarding kids:

"As for game systems, Nintendo Wii was the most popular among kids ages 8-13, as well as all girls up to age 17, while Sony PlayStation 3 came out on top for boys ages 14-17."

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6479280.html

Surfheart

DrXym said:

GAF needs a tounge-in-cheek smiley :)

MikeB said:
A lot of telling GfK data is available on the web, I won't leak the full reports. You just how to trust me that the PS3 is significantly outselling the XBox 360 in Europe and the rest of the World overall except for the UK and North America, but it may even get close for christmas:

US/UK/Dutch Christmas wishlists, according to researched data:

US Adults:

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
TheRipDizz said:
Japan is the difference between jack shit and almost nothing in regards to the PS3 and 36o.

This thread is a bit silly, but..

..for a lot of 07, japan was compensating for the gap in NA, for PS3, so performance there is actually relevant. Up until a few months ago at least, I stopped keeping track back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom