• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FAKEOUT: SHAM OF NOTREALGAME has been submitted to the 123 Fake Street patent office.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tigress

The idea of putting Fallout in a world outside the US would be like asking Wolfenstein's enemies not be nazis. It's not Fallout without that 50's Americana feel.

Just like it wouldn't be Wolfenstien if you weren't fighting nazis.

Pyrrhus

I understand that, but the style and aesthetic of Fallout has always been the aspect of Americana, which is specific to the United States. I know that with the lore, Canada is a part of the USA (which happened shortly before the bombs dropped) but it wouldn't have that element of Americana -- which is vital for Fallout. Putting it in Vancouver or Toronto wouldn't be in line with what the series is about, which is a clash between 1950's retro-futurism and post-apocalyptic USA.

Yeah, I agree with you. Honestly, I don't think this East Coast where all the pre-war houses are standing filled with edible canned goods and the bones of their original occupants 200 years after the war is particularly good use of the setting to begin with. But trying to put some post-apocalyptic nuka-maple syrup on top of it would just be dumb. Did Canada even have a particularly distinct look and feel from America in its architecture, art, and propaganda during the Red Scare? I'm not well versed but I'm not coming up with any ideas that wouldn't just be dumb stereotypes with extra heads or irradiated poutine.

Taker34

Banned
Bethesda has been working on this for 3 years already (Skyrim came out in November 2011) and I expect this Fallout to be released Winter 2015. That's almost 4 years of development. This could be a huge game (popularity-wise and technology-wise), bigger than Skyrim even.

Actually they started definitely years or maybe months before Nov 2011.The development of Skyrim for example started in 2006 during the development of Fallout 3 (on which BS was working since 2004 I think, while doing Oblivion). Big devs rarely start a project right after releasing another title, since it would take forever to release pretty much anything. But of course once a game is completed, they start to fully ramp up development.

Guri

In terms of RPGs, Bethesta's games are not what I most like, but I've been always interested in Fallout a bit more because of the setting. If this is true, then I'm hoping it will be good.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Looking forward to it. Put about 20 hours in to fallout 3 and NV each and really enjoyed those "brief" experiences with those games. I hope the landscape is a little more varied this time.

I hope that you don't come from a Vault again.

Bethesda has been working on this for 3 years already (Skyrim came out in November 2011) and I expect this Fallout to be released Winter 2015. That's almost 4 years of development. This could be a huge game (popularity-wise and technology-wise), bigger than Skyrim even.

the hype for this game will be real. i fully expect Fallout 4 to be on a whole different game engine, and will be technically impressive.

rjinaz

Looking forward to it. Put about 20 hours in to fallout 3 and NV each and really enjoyed those "brief" experiences with those games. I hope the landscape is a little more varied this time.

I hope that you don't come from a Vault again.

Hmm, 20 hours isn't a lot of time for those games. Surprised you liked them without putting more into them. You don't come from a vault in New Vegas. I think I would prefer not starting in a vault but it's only a short period you spend at the beginning of the game anyway, so I'm good either way.

Fjordson

The idea of putting Fallout in a world outside the US would be like asking Wolfenstein's enemies not be nazis. It's not Fallout without that 50's Americana feel.

Just like it wouldn't be Wolfenstien if you weren't fighting nazis.
Yeah, would be a huge mistake I think. Have always been confused when I hear people talk about European Fallout or one set in China. Not that it couldn't be interesting, but it wouldn't really be Fallout.

Hmm, 20 hours isn't a lot of time for those games. Surprised you liked them without putting more into them. You don't come from a vault in New Vegas. I think I would prefer not starting in a vault but it's only a short period you spend at the beginning of the game anyway, so I'm good either way.
I think it took me almost 20 hours just to get through the first town related to the story in New Vegas :lol both 3 and New Vegas gave me over 100 hours easily.

MattyG

Banned
That gamepedia article posted a couple pages back about why this is fake should be in the OP, so more people don't get their hopes up.

Sliver

3 was alright and New Vegas is amazing but I can't get that excited for a Bethesda Fallout game. Hopefully Obsidian gets their tech and makes another one.

PaNaMa

Banned
If Fallout SHADOW OF BOSTON releases in Winter 2015 I will fly to each and every one of your houses and do a singing telegram style apology for calling this BS.

4 + years of development or no, there's no way it releases in winter with not so much as a screenshot, dev diary, or even an admission of its existence... let alone any promotion.

Naked singing telegrams of apology to you all. But no way.

DirtyCase

The next Fallout will definitely take place in and around Boston. I'm just not so sure about this being the name of the game. Either way the time is approaching and hype is intensifying.

ezekial45

Banned
If Fallout SHADOW OF BOSTON releases in Winter 2015 I will fly to each and every one of your houses and do a singing telegram style apology for calling this BS.

4 + years of development or no, there's no way it releases in winter with not so much as a screenshot, dev diary, or even an admission of its existence... let alone any promotion.

Naked singing telegrams of apology to you all. But no way.

This is exactly what they did with Skyrim. It was announced in 2010 and released less than a year later.

PaNaMa

Banned
Oh, I was thinking winter 2015 was this winter... like that song goes .. Winter spring summer and Fall, all you have to do is calllll and I'll beeeeeeee there yes I willl... cause you've got a friend..

Winter starting this Dec 21 thru Jan Feb March 2015, spring being april may, summer being June July Aug sept.. and Fall being Oct/Nov

So you know, I consider Winter 2015 to be OVER come April 1, 2015.

I guess the industry doesn't see it like I do tho.

Wow. So get this. It's so strange that this thread was made on November 5th 2014. Here's how I got here:

I was watching Karl Pilkington stuff on youtube for laughs. Completely irrelevant to anything related to Fallout. He's telling ghost stories about some ghost shadow thing that is popular in Boston or something. Keep in mind that at this point I am oblivious to the existence of this thread. Here's Karl's ghost story about the 'Boston Shadow':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYwOOtrURQw

So I get interested about this 'Boston shadow' so I do a youtube search of it and what comes up is an image of Fallout 4. 'Fallout 4: Shadow of Boston'. So I'm thinking wow, yeah so maybe Bethesda will involve this lore as a theme of the game. Now I'm thinking I'll make a a google search of this game again only this time with NeoGaf included in the search. And what do you know, this thread pops up with the date of 11/5/2014.

Korten

Banned
If this is true, what are the odds of it only being for PC, PS4 and XBO? Don't want the next fallout to be tied to cross gen. :(

Please let me wear a Celtics jersey.

Could work since Fallout's aesthetic is Future 50s, and BC formed in '46. They could be a faction :)

Let'em wear the Original Celtics (New York) gear though.

original_celtics.jpg

Wow. So get this. It's so strange that this thread was made on November 5th 2014. Here's how I got here:

I was watching Karl Pilkington stuff on youtube for laughs.

Best way to start one's day. Love Pilkington and his American counterpart, Dan Ryckert.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Oh, I was thinking winter 2015 was this winter... like that song goes .. Winter spring summer and Fall, all you have to do is calllll and I'll beeeeeeee there yes I willl... cause you've got a friend..

Winter starting this Dec 21 thru Jan Feb March 2015, spring being april may, summer being June July Aug sept.. and Fall being Oct/Nov

So you know, I consider Winter 2015 to be OVER come April 1, 2015.

I guess the industry doesn't see it like I do tho.

They do, actually. They just put "holiday" in there between Fall and Winter to cover the November-December 31st span. A "Winter 2015" release would be Jan-Mar 2015. People in this thread think this game, if it's real, is releasing Holiday 2015.

As much as I would love a new Fallout game, I would love to see a game that takes a step outside of the US. Even if it's a DLC mission or expansion, I want to see how the Great War affected places like China or Europe.

Celegus

Can't wait to see this. Dumped hundreds of hours into Fallout 3. Hopefully the engine works this time around, so many bugs and crashes on PS3.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Honestly I hope this game isn't announced or revealed until its release year comes around. I'm tired of seeing trailers for games that won't be out for 3 years haha

Stimpack

Temper your expectations, Junior!

Patryn

I know games take time (probably making a new engine hopefully or something), but how can we be almost 3 years since Skyrim came out and yet (and 6 years since Fallout 3) and still likely no info at all soon?

I want to say that a while back they said something like the window between their next game announcement and its release will be the shortest it's ever been.

I get the sense that they want to basically have the game done before announcing it.

I could see them pull something like an E3 announcement with a November release following it.

ezekial45

Banned
Not too surprised. I'd like to think that the reception they got for Skyrim's botched launch must've had an impact on them. Since they're working on new hardware I'd think they'd want to take their time on this one.

Patryn

fuuuuuck, just announce what the game is, we dont even need a trailer or screenshot. just let us know what BGS is working on Pete :/ ..watch Fallout 4 turn into the next Final Fantasy Versus lol.

It's a no-win game. You announce something, people will demand more. People will begin complaining that they announced this thing and haven't shown anything. People start rumors about troubled development, etc, etc.

All I see from Pete Hines are denials. Sick of it.

Far as I can see, he's doing his job. You should be angrier at the people doing all these hoaxes.

I'm sure when they're ready to show stuff, he'll have plenty to say. But for now it's useful for him to defuse all these hoaxes early.

Lakitu

st5fu
IFar as I can see, he's doing his job. You should be angrier at the people doing all these hoaxes.

I'm sure when they're ready to show stuff, he'll have plenty to say. But for now it's useful for him to defuse all these hoaxes early.

Oh, I'm not angry, just sad and a really stupid for falling for it every time :(

Patryn

Oh, I'm not angry, just sad and a really stupid for falling for it every time :(

I was like you before the Survivor hoax. After that, I won't believe anything unless I see something like "BETHESDA OFFICIALLY ANNOUNCES FALLOUT 4" and I can see an actual press release and/or official site and/or official video on an official YouTube channel put up by them.

It's a no-win game. You announce something, people will demand more. People will begin complaining that they announced this thing and haven't shown anything. People start rumors about troubled development, etc, etc.

i disagree, i find it weird Bethesda has let so much time pass without announcing any future game plans. its not like Bethesda has released any games recently; Skyrim was in 2011, Fallout 3 was in 2008, and Oblivion in 2006, all of which were on last gen. nobody is going to start thinking Bethesda has development problems, but it's odd that a big studio like Bethesda is taking so long to announce even a name for their next game. what has Bethesda been doing for the past 3 years that they're still not at a point to announce anything?? three years of absence from a AAA developer is not a great sign. even Rocksteady who dropped Arkahm City back in 2011 managed to announce their next-gen only Batman game, even if its release date isnt until 2015.

i remember watching an interview with Pete Hines on Gametrailers around last fall/winter and he was discussing how Bethesda/Zenimax and other third parties publishers consult with console makers so they can plan for future games when a new console cycle begins. i doubt Bethesda was caught off guard by the hardware specs of the PS4 and Xbox One. so even if a new engine was being worked on im sure that engine was planned in advance so that it could be up and working for development on Bethesda's new game. if Fallout 4 or whatever game BGS is working on doesn't get announced by years end im going to be a bit worried.

I will forgive Bethesda for the long wait if they have been building a brand new engine for all this time. If their next game is still using that shitty engine, I will be incredibly disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom