• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FAKEOUT: SHAM OF NOTREALGAME has been submitted to the 123 Fake Street patent office.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I just hope that if it's in Boston, that we get to see some witches.

I also want a lot of fall leaves.

bf11b60e-6284-4aca-9dc5-8dcf0d056e8a.jpg

Like the kind you can jump into.

Aces&Eights

Murica again, yawn.

I am from the States and I totally agree with you. I would love a Fallout set in a different country. Maybe London after a horrible virus outbreak, Germany after WWII but Hitler released a nuke before dying so it's all radioactive.

Patryn

I am from the States and I totally agree with you. I would love a Fallout set in a different country. Maybe London after a horrible virus outbreak, Germany after WWII but Hitler released a nuke before dying so it's all radioactive.

Fallout has always been in the same world. It's part of what makes Fallout Fallout instead of just a post-apocalyptic game.

Those sound like different IPs.

ezekial45

Banned
Murica again, yawn.

Fallout is about post-apocalyptic America (with post 1950's flair). I understand your complaint, about wanting something different, but the element of Americana, and it being set in the states, is what makes Fallout what it is.

Setting it in China or in Canada would make it too different stylistically. Sure, I would like see some hints of the outside world in DLC, but the heart of Fallout is seeing America in a post-apocalyptic state.

ezekial45

Banned
More or less like a Bioshock in the skies?
No. Thematically, one of the elements of Bioshock is seeing a perceived utopia go horribly wrong and coming to blows with mega-maniacal rulers. Also, while Infinite's art-style is a bit different from the previous games, it's still very much consistent with what the series is about.

Fallout is and should always be about America. It's in its DNA.

Took a look at that rumor stuff. Voice acting for main character would be great! Don't know about Boston though. I guess the city itself will be cool, but the rest of Massachusetts is lame.

Euron

It's just about that time of the year again. Hopefully a new Fallout is actually announced this time. I really can't wait any longer.

Recall

Taking it all with a grain of salt in regards to being Fallout 4. Can't bring myself to be excited over something that may be a lie.

...No?

Not really.

Operation Anchorage did this.

It's been done already.

EDIT: Beaten.

Nah. We got a taste of it in F3 DLC.

A boring choice for sure, but I wouldn't mind seeing NY in all it's glory.

ah, didn't play most of the DLC so no idea it's already a thing. then how about a look on the Russian side? playing as the Russian equal from one of their vault cities and what not?

Patryn

ah, didn't play most of the DLC so no idea it's already a thing. then how about a look on the Russian side? playing as the Russian equal from one of their vault cities and what not?

Russians don't have vaults. VaultTec was an American company.

They also were not the other side of the World War. It was the United States vs. China.

Also, Fallout is about a modern PA vision of 1950's Americana. Setting it in Russia loses that.

I just hope that if it's in Boston, that we get to see some witches.

I also want a lot of fall leaves.

bf11b60e-6284-4aca-9dc5-8dcf0d056e8a.jpg

Like the kind you can jump into.

Well within the lore, the Boston area was spared the brunt of the nuclear war iirc.

So I can see this happening. Or we can just mod it in later

Took a look at that rumor stuff. Voice acting for main character would be great! Don't know about Boston though. I guess the city itself will be cool, but the rest of Massachusetts is lame.

mr-chow-haha.gif

Pyrrhus

Setting it in China or in Canada would make it too different stylistically. Sure, I would like see some hints of the outside world in DLC, but the heart of Fallout is seeing America in a post-apocalyptic state.

Setting it in Canada would be setting it in America in this universe. America invaded and conquered Canada several years before the bombs fell for their oil in this setting. As for China, it's implied that most of the major population centers are glass parking lots. That said, New England and DC were supposed to be glass parking lots too until Bethesda threw the lore out the window.

Zabant

Happy it's something but 'Shadow of-' ?

Such a generic sub-title...just after shadow of mordor also.

Azlan

Exciting if true. I am completely biased since I live in Boston, but would love to see that setting. There is a decent variety of scenery around the Boston area though - city, countryside, rivers, oceanside, suburbia, etc.

rjinaz

I anticipate a LOT of disappointed people after VGX.

I'll be disappointed a bit, sure. But at this point, after three years of waiting for an announcement or even a hint and not getting anything, I'm kind of numb to. I am not expecting anything, but I'm always hopeful.

huxley00

I'll wait forever as long as they don't turn it into an MMO franchise. I think that would be the worst announcement of my gaming life...

ezekial45

Banned
Setting it in Canada would be setting it in America in this universe. America invaded and conquered Canada several years before the bombs fell for their oil in this setting. As for China, it's implied that most of the major population centers are glass parking lots. That said, New England and DC were supposed to be glass parking lots too until Bethesda threw the lore out the window.

I understand that, but the style and aesthetic of Fallout has always been the aspect of Americana, which is specific to the United States. I know that with the lore, Canada is a part of the USA (which happened shortly before the bombs dropped) but it wouldn't have that element of Americana -- which is vital for Fallout. Putting it in Vancouver or Toronto wouldn't be in line with what the series is about, which is a clash between 1950's retro-futurism and post-apocalyptic USA.

Paskil

The bombs were launched in the Fallout world in 2077. It would make no sense to reference anything like World War 2. The world has the aesthetic of the 1950s/60s, but the world certainly didn't end at that time.

I understand that, but the style and aesthetic of Fallout has always been the aspect of Americana, which is specific to the United States. I know that with the lore, Canada is a part of the USA (which happened shortly before the bombs dropped) but it wouldn't have that element of Americana -- which is vital for Fallout. Putting it in Vancouver or Toronto wouldn't be in line with what the series is about, which is a clash between 1950's retro-futurism and post-apocalyptic USA.

Plus, the vaults were only in the United States (never seen mention of them being in Canadia). Those are a huge part of the Fallout world. A game without vaults is not a Fallout game.

BLunted

Banned

Actually, it has been speculated that "Ronto"(think it was in The Pitt DLC) referenced in Fallout 3 is Toronto

EDIT: Also, it's not like you cross the bridge at Niagara Falls and go "OMG, WHERE AM I? THIS IS NOT AMERICA! IT"S SO STRANGE."

really want one in san Francisco. I think you might have been able to go there in 1 or 2,idk for sure. But a next gen game set there would be amazing

Hyunkel6

I am not a fan of the name. And, as others have said, why not just simply "Fallout 4"? I have a feeling it's some kind of mobile or arcade game.

I do love Boston though. I visited the city last year, and it was amazing.

ezekial45

Banned
Actually, it has been speculated that "Ronto"(think it was in The Pitt DLC) referenced in Fallout 3 is Toronto

Oh no, I'm not discounting other non-USA locations. I think they'd really great places to visit in side-content and DLC missions. But I just don't think they'd be good places to set a Fallout game in.

BLunted

Banned
Oh no, I'm not discounting other non-USA locations. I think they'd really great places to visit in side-content and DLC missions. But I just don't think they'd be good places to set a Fallout game in.

I tend to agree that a fallout outside north america wouldn't really be a fallout game. It would just be another post apocalyptic game in a different seeting, like STALKER. Not saying STALKER is a bad game, just that it's not fallout.

Bethesda has been working on this for 3 years already (Skyrim came out in November 2011) and I expect this Fallout to be released Winter 2015. That's almost 4 years of development. This could be a huge game (popularity-wise and technology-wise), bigger than Skyrim even.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom