• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 has gone gold; leaked gameplay vids

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoseLopez

PS4 version looks horrible. Game looks like trash overall. However Bethesda fans don't care even if the game looks average at best. Reviews on release day are not because they want to avoid spoilers, more because they know the game will be very mitigated. I'm expecting 9s and 7s.
Dude you're gonna eat more crow than that dude that said that Sony was done for once the 360 version of ff13 was announced.

d00d3n

One thing that I worry about: Doesn't the current perk system mean that it will be difficult to add new "per level perks" to the dlc? It is pretty ingenious how every S.P.E.C.I.A.L stat level is associated with a perk, but the system will be difficult to expand.

Anyone who has an idea how they could expand "per level perks" in the dlc? Add perks that are not bound by S.P.E.C.I.A.L as a side area besides the main tree? Increase S.P.E.C.I.A.L maximum and add new rows?

Akibared

Played a couple of hours yesterday on ps4. I'm really liking it. Graphics are not superb but because of it, it's really jaggies free. No aliasing. Everything looks very clean.

On thing that stand out for me are the vaults. The vaults are the best looking things in the game.

The graphics reminds me a lot of alien isolation. Clean image but not details. It's really serviceable.

Music is outstanding. One of the best soundtracks again.

The atmosphere is fucking awesome,but what I really hate is the talking protagonist. Shut up!

That all sounds awesome but hows the frame rate? Some people were saying it was horrible on PS4.

NBtoaster

Seems to be a similar shadow draw distance to Skyrim on 360.
skyyounz.png

Codiox

Thanks for the impressions. How's the Framerate and loading times, are they long or not?

I think someone said they're lie 5-10 seconds when entering a building.

The loading times when you go from vault/house to overworld are a bit long. Maybe 10-15 seconds. But I think this will get patched a little bit just like bloodborne etc.

The Framerate is most of the time stable, but you can drop them to sub 20 If you find the right spot. For example there is a spot in the vault with some smoke and if you get close to it in the right angle it fucks up the Framerate. There are some of these framedrop spots all over the game. But as I said most of the time locked 30.

If any of you want to know more just ask me.

amnesiac

How many actually played the ps3 version through? I'm pretty sure review copies last gen were usually 360 or PC for mutiplat when not given a choice. You don't send the worst version out for reviews, and you can't dock points for something you didn't experience.

It's kind of misleading for a site to put a score of 9.5 on the PS3 page if they didn't play the PS3 version, no? It would be different if it was just a main non-platform specific Skyrim page, but if I type in "Skyrim PS3 review" on Google and click the IGN link, I would be led to believe that Skyrim on PS3 is deserving of a 9.5, which was way higher than that port deserved.

I'm sure they didn't play the PS3 version, but review sites should at least mention that or not automatically give the same score on every platform.

There are outliers, like The Orange Box. The 360/PC versions got scores of 9+ on IGN, while the PS3 version got an 8.5 or something because that was an inferior port. Skyrim was an inferior port, so why didn't they give it a lower score? If they didn't play the PS3 version, why would they give it a score at all? They're misleading their readerbase.

Sorry for the rant.

SpokkX

The loading times when you go from vault/house to overworld are a bit long. Maybe 10-15 seconds. But I think this will get patched a little bit just like bloodborne etc.

The Framerate is most of the time stable, but you can drop them to sub 20 If you find the right spot. For example there is a spot in the vault with some smoke and if you get close to it in the right angle it fucks up the Framerate. There are some of these framedrop spots all over the game. But as I said most of the time locked 30.

Wait... There is still loading when entering buildings?! Even small ones?!

JoseLopez

Seems to be a similar draw distance to Skyrim on 360.
skyyounz.png
Meh doesn't bother me and again I say this in this thread why do people act like everyone on pc runs everything on max settings when steam itself shows most people runs their games on old hardware, I say this because of a couple shitpost I read from people who would never buy this game on consoles yet come in say how shitty the console version and how their pc is gonna blow away those screenshots. That isn't criticism and it isn't informative it's just a clear cut shit post with a brag attached. Sorry for rambling but this thread is the most embarrassing gaf thread of the year. and the amount of vitriol & hyperbole in this thread is just saddening.

d00d3n

Cool, can you try and answer these questions:

Anyone who played the game or watched streams who has learned something about S.P.E.C.I.A.L requirements in conversations? Given that the speech skill is gone and not replaced directly by a perk (only relevant perk seems to be Lady Killer/Man Eater, but it is obviously not a general replacement for the speech skill), my assumption has been that S.P.E.C.I.A.L stat checks is the main factor that regulates conversation options.

So how does requirements in conversations actually work?
Is "STR - intimidation", "INT - persuasion" and "CHA - deception" a thing?
Does the game in fact check all S.P.E.C.I.A.L stats in conversations like New Vegas did?
How important is general reputation and faction reputation for conversations?
Does the game check perks, other than Lady Killer/Man Eater? For example, "SCIENCE!"?

d9b

Banned

Any chance of uploading few screenshots?

Quidam

(Provided this is allowed...)

If anyone knows a place in London selling it early, please PM me - I'll send major e-hugs your way :)

Rainmaker

Banned
I'm pretty confident I can have fun in a Bethesda game despite it's flaws. Fallout especially. I've done it before! I'll be playing on a PS4 and I'm really looking forward to it. I guess I don't take things so seriously. The only thing I've seen I'm not to fond of is the dialogue system but I'm still excited to try it out for myself and explore their world. Everyone seems so uptight and self-serious. Overreaction after overreaction. This thread is super embarrassing to read through.

MacBosse

I remember when I first started playing Fallout 3. I was really engrossed in the world, its characters and the harsh rules the reality of the world laid out for me. I loved the feeling of scavenging for every single little item to help me survive the hostile lands. The feeling of really scraping by, with hostiles everywhere looking to end my journey and new vistas that needed to be explored. Once I laid in waiting for the perfect shot with my hunting rifle as raiders were looting some crashed cars. Was I going to waste my precious ammo on this encounter or should I conserve them for the dangerous surprise encounters that sure were to come my way?

The first 5 hours of Fallout 3 was what really defined the game for me. The low ammo-count, the weapons breaking and not knowing how I would manage the next encounter.

Then that broke apart. Big time. Somewhere along the time I reached Rivet city I had more bottlecaps than I could count and weapons were everywhere. I had so much ammo to every gun that I even stopped looting.The game was still fun, but it had lost its magic. What really set it apart from other games. I was no longer afraid (until I met a Deathclaw ofcourse ...) and more and more I could just blaze my way trough any encounter.

I'm hoping Bethesda has somehow been able to prolong the feeling of not being a powerhouse in the wastelands. I want to feel alone and god damned afriad of what lurks out there. I want to be on my last magazine, facing several raiders looking to loot my corpse.

I guess I want a Dark Souls/Fallout/STALKER hybrid of some sorts.

Codiox

Wait... There is still loading when entering buildings?! Even small ones?!

not the small ones, but some dungeon buildings.

Sorry but for these questions im just not far enough in the game.

Any chance of uploading few screenshots?

I will, just give me a couple of minutes. i just checked out all my shots was in jpeg, so i will make some new now.

carlsojo

Speech checks and everything I know about them:
I'm level 17
, so far Charisma seems to be the only influence on speech checks with the exception of the Lady-Killer perk. There aren't New Vegas requirements for speech checks like [Barter 35/25] or [Strength 3/2] nor are there percentages shown that you will pass. Speech check difficulty is color-coded. Yellow is easy, orange average, red hard.

There are numerous speech checks (ex: better rewards, flirting, convincing someone to join), and there can be progressively more difficult checks in the same conversation (like convincing Colonel Autumn to stand down).

I always bring alcohol and a set of Charisma gear with me.

I remember when I first started playing Fallout 3. I was really engrossed in the world, its characters and the harsh rules the reality of the world laid out for me. I loved the feeling of scavenging for every single little item to help me survive the hostile lands. The feeling of really scraping by, with hostiles everywhere looking to end my journey and new vistas that needed to be explored. Once I laid in waiting for the perfect shot with my hunting rifle as raiders were looting some crashed cars. Was I going to waste my precious ammo on this encounter or should I conserve them for the dangerous surprise encounters that sure were to come my way?

The first 5 hours of Fallout 3 was what really defined the game for me. The low ammo-count, the weapons breaking and not knowing how I would manage the next encounter.

Then that broke apart. Big time. Somewhere along the time I reached Rivet city I had more bottlecaps than I could count and weapons were everywhere. I had so much ammo to every gun that I even stopped looting.The game was still fun, but it had lost its magic. What really set it apart from other games. I was no longer afraid (until I met a Deathclaw ofcourse ...) and more and more I could just blaze my way trough any encounter.

I'm hoping Bethesda has somehow been able to prolong the feeling of not being a powerhouse in the wastelands. I want to feel alone and god damned afriad of what lurks out there. I want to be on my last magazine, facing several raiders looking to loot my corpse.

Play on the harder difficulties. (I'm playing on Hard.) The Legendary enemies that show up at random don't fuck around and the random legendary gear they drop is pretty awesome. The regular enemies are imo much more difficult than in previous entries.

In a year of open-world games this is by far the best one I've played.

I'm pretty confident I can have fun in a Bethesda game despite it's flaws. Fallout especially. I've done it before! I'll be playing on a PS4 and I'm really looking forward to it. I guess I don't take things so seriously. The only thing I've seen I'm not to fond of is the dialogue system but I'm still excited to try it out for myself and explore their world. Everyone seems so uptight and self-serious. Overreaction after overreaction. This thread is super embarrassing to read through.

A reaction does not mean an overreaction just because you don't agree with it. Plenty of us will be able to enjoy the game despite it having a shitty shadow draw distance. And if you just settle for everything thrown at you, you'll only get the bare minimum effort from devs that are selling you games.

Preloading never felt this good.
Yup. I can't remember the last time I've wanted a weekend to be over.

RulkezX

Meh doesn't bother me and again I say this in this thread why do people act like everyone on pc runs everything on max settings when steam itself shows most people runs their games on old hardware, I say this because of a couple shitpost I read from people who would never buy this game on consoles yet come in say how shitty the console version and how their pc is gonna blow away those screenshots. That isn't criticism and it isn't informative it's just a clear cut shit post with a brag attached. Sorry for rambling but this thread is the most embarrassing gaf thread of the year. and the amount of vitriol & hyperbole in this thread is just saddening.

A: It's an enthusiast forum.

B: People with nothing to add have to use as much hyperbole as possible to get noticed.

MMaRsu

Banned

This is not that game I think. They want you to have a power fantasy. Thats why they took out stuff like weapons breaking. There seems to be a ton of ammo in this game too. Not sure if that changes on the harder difficulities though..

I agree with you, that style of game is way more interesting.

Warablo

Does anyone know if you can still drop stuff and decorate your house?

Any info on settlements and the local leader perk?

carlsojo

Does anyone know if you can still drop stuff and decorate your house?

Any info on settlements and the local leader perk?

First question
Yup.

Second what specifically do you want to know? I have both ranks of that perk.

So no impressions on survival I guess. Guess im on my own.

I just started a survival character for fun. So far enemies don't seem like they're hp sponges. They hit substantially harder and your stimpaks heal at a snail's pace.

Majin Boo

I played the PS4 version of the game for a couple of hours now, it's my first Fallout game and so far I'm not sure what to make of it.

I don't even want to talk about the graphics, animations etc. because I wasn't expecting anything in this regard, but I have to admit that it does look really bad at times, especially indoor environments and character models, it simply does not look like a PS4 game at all. There are minor framerate dips when engaging groups of enemies and short loading times when entering buildings.

What really surprised me is the fact that I don't really enjoy the gameplay so far. Gunfights feel very weird, human enemies can't decide whether to seek cover or to simply run around shooting at me which makes fighting them pretty annyoing (already decided to go for a stealth build because I want to avoid this in the future) and shooting in general simply feels a bit off. Playing in third person kinda helped, although know it feels like I'm playing Mass Effect 1...I really hope that better weapons, weaponmods and perks will improve the gameplay because right now I'm not having fun with human enemy encounters.
Encounters with enemies such as
feral ghouls
are fun though, just explored a
super market and suddenly got attacked by feral ghouls from everywhere which was quite intense.

The game does a pretty bad job at explaining anything (it simply doesn't most of the time). Had to google how the skill system works, how hacking works and just realized that I can store stuff at workbenches.

Setting is quite interesting, world feels big and a bit overwhelming, exploring is fun, looting is fun (although I constantly have to travel to my settlement to store stuff). Can't say much about the story yet.

So far it has been a mixed experience and I'm really interested to see the reviews for this game now.

carlsojo

Power Armor now works like a temporary vehicle. There exists only one and you have to refill its energy via power cores. Personally, I don't care about it. I will park it in my only mega-settlement and can use it to defend the town, if it is attacked.

There's definitely more than one. Also, the power core's energy is not used up when you fast travel so if you run into some super mutant outpost, go grab your suit, fast travel back, fuck shit up.

I played a few hours on X1 so far and IMO the game looks fine (graphics wise). Its not the best and I can understand everybody who says Bethesdy should do better given their size and money available. But its certainly not like a 360 F4, the 360 would never be capable of doing this...

Warablo

First question
Yup.

Second what specifically do you want to know? I have both ranks of that perk.

I guess if you feel its worth it? Does it have any hidden benefits? How do the supply lines help? Are the merchants/stores decent from the perk?

Does each settlement have its own work bench and armorer? Can you customize other armor other than power armor?

vladdamad

I played the PS4 version of the game for a couple of hours now, it's my first Fallout game and so far I'm not sure what to make of it.

I don't even want to talk about the graphics, animations etc. because I wasn't expecting anything in this regard, but I have to admit that it does look really bad at times, especially indoor environments and character models, it simply does not look like a PS4 game at all. There are minor framerate dips when engaging groups of enemies and short loading times when entering buildings.

What really surprised me is the fact that I don't really enjoy the gameplay so far. Gunfights feel very weird, human enemies can't decide whether to seek cover or to simply run around shooting at me which makes fighting them pretty annyoing (already decided to go for a stealth build because I want to avoid this in the future) and shooting in general simply feels a bit off. Playing in third person kinda helped, although know it feels like I'm playing Mass Effect 1...I really hope that better weapons, weaponmods and perks will improve the gameplay because right now I'm not having fun with human enemy encounters.
Encounters with enemies such as
feral ghouls
are fun though, just explored a
super market and suddenly got attacked by feral ghouls from everywhere which was quite intense.

The game does a pretty bad job at explaining anything (it simply doesn't most of the time). Had to google how the skill system works, how hacking works and just realized that I can store stuff at workbenches.

Setting is quite interesting, world feels big and a bit overwhelming, exploring is fun, looting is fun (although I constantly have to travel to my settlement to store stuff). Can't say much about the story yet.

So far it has been a mixed experience and I'm really interested to see the reviews for this game now.

Thanks for the impressions! The bolded is what I am mostly concerned with when I play Bethesda games, so if F4 delivers on that front I will be satisfied. Disappointing about the gameplay, though - it seemed a lot punchier in the trailers when compared to F3

carlsojo

I guess if you feel its worth it? Does it have any hidden benefits? How do the supply lines help? Are the merchants/stores decent from the perk?

Does each settlement have its own work bench and armorer? Can you customize other armor other than power armor?

Supply lines:
Supply lines are amazing! because they link your workshops' inventories. So if I dump all my crafting components and junk at my main town's workshop and set up a supply line to a fledgling settlement I can run over there and be able to build all my shit at the new place without going back and forth.

The stores:
I've only built one (the basic one that sells junk for crafting materials), was waiting for a new settler to arrive before I bought a gun store. In addition to them selling you stuff I believe they also contribute income? But I haven't seen that yet.

Your last question:
Each settlement have at minimum a workshop that you build from and usually have one or two others (armor or weapons typically). You can build additional crafting stations with rank 1 of local leader I think. Yes you can customize other armor.

Thanks for the impressions! The bolded is what I am mostly concerned with when I play Bethesda games, so if F4 delivers on that front I will be satisfied. Disappointing about the gameplay, though - it seemed a lot punchier in the trailers when compared to F3

The gunplay is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better than F3 or NV. The variety of weapons is great as well.

SJRB

Gold Member
Judging from the footage I saw I can already tell I'm going to get a lot of mileage out of the house/settlement construction, looks awesome.

I am going to play this today. Gamestop suddenly sells stuff early.

And I promise, if this is a techichal disaster, I will use my Widerrufsrecht.

ok guys, here are my png ps4 screenshots from 5min ago :) enjoy!

http://imgur.com/a/OEfJF

Im ok with how this game looks, I cant understand the rabid negativity from some people. Maybe it is deserved if you bought a 2000$ gaming PC and the game looked like this but for standard hardware the only fair criticism could be aimed towards poor animation and faces.

Warning thought that some of the images are taken from the start of the game and contains scenes from inside vault 111 and could by some people be considered as spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom