• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 has gone gold; leaked gameplay vids

Status
Not open for further replies.
PSA: Don't visit the steam fallout 4 forum. People are posting major spoilers in the tagline, and mods are refusing to remove it because they don't want to go into the forum. <.<

Some more PS4 screenshots

Atjw3fI.jpg

]

I like the lighting and the materials on the character model in this one.

Ragona

Might aswell just share my impressions (~3 hours, Ps4, played all previous games) aswell.

First of all... fuck all that graphics hyperbole. Yes the game doesnt set the bar for visual fidelity, but it has a very unique and pretty artstyle. The game has a very crisp picture quality on PS4, although the view distance is clearly shorter than PC screenshots indicated, and the coloration is really pretty at times. I did notice a couple random Fps drops to the low 20s, but that happened mainly when transitioning between buildings and opens world or on random occasions.

Gameplay wise it feels alot more action oriented and even more consolized than Fallout 3. The Interface is more or less the same from what we knew, apart from the Dialogue system which has been made more simple, but still grants enough options and choices. You get alot of ammo early on, so dont expect shortage there (so far). It feels abit like a Mass Effect 1 -> 2 kind of development.
That said, the addiction kicked in instantly.. all of your beloved Fallout moments are there. Weird characters, interesting quests, LOADS of items etc etc. Especially the possiblity to wander around and randomly discover something interesting or powerful kept me from putting the controller aside.

Thats my early impressions so far.

Milennia

When did you put your order in? I finally put my order in last Saturday and it's still showing release day delivery for me.

About 2 days ago, the live chat rep is saying they only offer it on release day for extra shipping charges now, even though im prime lol what the hell.

She just waived the shipping fee cost, so odd.

OtisInf

I played the PS4 version of the game for a couple of hours now, it's my first Fallout game and so far I'm not sure what to make of it.

Setting is quite interesting, world feels big and a bit overwhelming, exploring is fun, looting is fun (although I constantly have to travel to my settlement to store stuff). Can't say much about the story yet.
A tip: Bethesda games tend to have an economy in place which at some point will keel over and makes the game a lot less interesting: the main reason is that it's so easy to get rich. In the beginning it's a bit hard to get 'cash' (in whatever currency there is like bottlecaps) but if you scavenge around and loot everything that's not bolted down, you will soon have more 'money' than you can spend. This has the side effect that looting becomes uninteresting: you can buy whatever you want anyway.

This seems counterintuitive, but it'll keep the game more interesting later on: only take with you what you can carry and restrain yourself to haul more. In Skyrim there were mods which e.g. limited the amount of stuff you could carry, made everything very cheap to sell but expensive to buy and at first it made it weird and hard to get by, but later on it paid off: you still have to loot to survive, you still have not enough cash to buy health potions (in FO: stimpacks) so you might have to be forced to create them yourself or go out and scavenge more.

J4g3r

When did you put your order in? I finally put my order in last Saturday and it's still showing release day delivery for me.

Probably location-based. I'm looking at Amazon UK right now and it says I still have 56 hours to put an order in for release date delivery.

Going to try my early copy source again today and if I have no luck I'm just going to order here. :/

jesu

This is not that game I think. They want you to have a power fantasy. Thats why they took out stuff like weapons breaking. There seems to be a ton of ammo in this game too. Not sure if that changes on the harder difficulities though..

I agree with you, that style of game is way more interesting.

Well it's going to cost a fortune in scrap to build settlements so scavenging is going to be more important than ever.

Might aswell just share my impressions (~3 hours, Ps4, played all previous games) aswell.

First of all... fuck all that graphics hyperbole. Yes the game doesnt set the bar for visual fidelity, but it has a very unique and pretty artstyle. The game has a very crisp picture quality on PS4, although the view distance is clearly shorter than PC screenshots indicated, and the coloration is really pretty at times. I did notice a couple random Fps drops to the low 20s, but that happened mainly when transitioning between buildings and opens world or on random occasions.

Gameplay wise it feels alot more action oriented and even more consolized than Fallout 3. The Interface is more or less the same from what we knew, apart from the Dialogue system which has been made more simple, but still grants enough options and choices. You get alot of ammo early on, so dont expect shortage there (so far). It feels abit like a Mass Effect 1 -> 2 kind of development.
That said, the addiction kicked in instantly.. all of your beloved Fallout moments are there. Weird characters, interesting quests, LOADS of items etc etc. Especially the possiblity to wander around and randomly discover something interesting or powerful kept me from putting the controller aside.

Thats my early impressions so far.

What difficulty are you playing on? I hope this isn't the case on Survival difficulty.

I remember when I first started playing Fallout 3. I was really engrossed in the world, its characters and the harsh rules the reality of the world laid out for me. I loved the feeling of scavenging for every single little item to help me survive the hostile lands. The feeling of really scraping by, with hostiles everywhere looking to end my journey and new vistas that needed to be explored. Once I laid in waiting for the perfect shot with my hunting rifle as raiders were looting some crashed cars. Was I going to waste my precious ammo on this encounter or should I conserve them for the dangerous surprise encounters that sure were to come my way?

The first 5 hours of Fallout 3 was what really defined the game for me. The low ammo-count, the weapons breaking and not knowing how I would manage the next encounter.

Then that broke apart. Big time. Somewhere along the time I reached Rivet city I had more bottlecaps than I could count and weapons were everywhere. I had so much ammo to every gun that I even stopped looting.The game was still fun, but it had lost its magic. What really set it apart from other games. I was no longer afraid (until I met a Deathclaw ofcourse ...) and more and more I could just blaze my way trough any encounter.

I'm hoping Bethesda has somehow been able to prolong the feeling of not being a powerhouse in the wastelands. I want to feel alone and god damned afriad of what lurks out there. I want to be on my last magazine, facing several raiders looking to loot my corpse.

I guess I want a Dark Souls/Fallout/STALKER hybrid of some sorts.

some day there will be a game made just for people like us.

i think i'll play this at a higher difficulty (which i never do with Bethesda games)... maybe it will feel a bit more dangerous. anyone know if there's a trophy for beating it on a higher difficulty? i want some little reward in case it gets frustrating in the more difficult quests.

I just had an epiphany about this game. I know how us console owners find that graphics are not as much an issue as it is for PC owners and certainly for most it doesn't qualify as a dealbreaker as long as the game is fun to play. And also that since it looks miles ahead of the what we had on last gen, we ought to be happy.

However, this gen consoles are atleast a couple of times stronger than their predecessors (16 times more ram for starters). I highly suspect that this game become next-gen only when production was well under way. Because by looking at it, it doesn't look like it was made to really utilize the hardware it's running on. What I am trying to say is that at the very least, one could say that Bethesda has half assed this sequel.

I know people are going to take this as more shitposting but I am eagerly waiting for my gold edition to arrive, hopefully it will give me all the joy of previous Bethesda games.

Kolx

So can the settlements ruin the game after like 5-10 hours of focusing on them? I mean can you get cash easily with them? If so I might try to avoid them to keep the loot element interesting late in the game.

PSA: Don't visit the steam fallout 4 forum. People are posting major spoilers in the tagline, and mods are refusing to remove it because they don't want to go into the forum. <.<

the fuck lmao

Ive been rethinking my SPECIAL

Strength does not add much to how much you can carry and I plan to avoid meele situations so I will set this to 1. Lone wanderer and companions will make things easier. Also I prefer skill before luck so I do not focus on luck either.

specialf4qyp61.png

Yopis

They took out weapons breaking? Really liked Fallout NV more than 3. Hardcore mode scavenging for water and food added a cool layer to the game. Thanks for impressions guys.

Don't know why people are mocked for calling the graphics out in the game. Why should they get a pass? Especially when other systems were dumbed down. Still on the fence for this. Will grab PC version though if any,instead of PS4 copy now.

Ushay

So no impressions on survival I guess. Guess im on my own.

I'd like to know this too, more specifically how difficulty changes for Survival. I know we get tougher enemies with a higher chance for Legendary creatures to appear, but what are the actual differences like do we need to eat/drink to survive like in New Vegas?

Ive been rethinking my SPECIAL

Strength does not add much to how much you can carry and I plan to avoid meele situations so I will set this to 1. Lone wanderer and companions will make things easier. Also I prefer skill before luck so I do not focus on luck either.

specialf4qyp61.png

I was ready to say screw LUCK but then realised how VATS heavy it is.

+6 for me.

Think I'm gonna start off with 8 Luck. Perks in the LCK tree look amazeballs.

CHA only looks good for local leader, that's about it... Not sure if I'll be dumping points in there yet. Unless there's a lot of CHA checks along the way, of course. Like talking my way out of things.

Ah, so many things to consider.

GlamFM

Banned
One more time for the new page:

Good morning GAF.

How are the impressions from GAFfers who got the game early?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I was contemplating not really putting points in Luck but the tree has some hilarious stuff in it. I have no idea what I want to do.

Frillen

I've been playing the PS4 version for almost 10 hours now, and even though I might be a little bit on thin ice here, I definitely feel Fallout 4 runs better than vanilla Skyrim 360 version. During my 10 hours play I've only encounter some minor bugs/glitches, mostly around and in Diamond City.

gossi

I'd like to know this too, more specifically how difficulty changes for Survival. I know we get tougher enemies with a higher chance for Legendary creatures to appear, but what are the actual differences like do we need to eat/drink to survive like in New Vegas?

Survival is not hardcore mode. There is no new Vegas eat/drink requirement. Mods for later, methinks.

jesu

That's great timing, now imagine if you had the xbox one. My install times are horrible on xbox one.

Takes about 35 minutes to install a game on the X1.
Same as the PS4.
Though usually you can start playing much much quicker on the PS4.
Fallout 4 apparently doesn't start until it's fully installed though.

d00d3n

Speech checks and everything I know about them:
I'm level 17
, so far Charisma seems to be the only influence on speech checks with the exception of the Lady-Killer perk. There aren't New Vegas requirements for speech checks like [Barter 35/25] or [Strength 3/2] nor are there percentages shown that you will pass. Speech check difficulty is color-coded. Yellow is easy, orange average, red hard.

There are numerous speech checks (ex: better rewards, flirting, convincing someone to join), and there can be progressively more difficult checks in the same conversation (like convincing Colonel Autumn to stand down).

I always bring alcohol and a set of Charisma gear with me.

Thanks for the answer! That simplifies things, I guess. I think my CHA 5 +bobblehead +alcohol +gear will be enough for most conversations.

aravuus

So can the settlements ruin the game after like 5-10 hours of focusing on them? I mean can you get cash easily with them? If so I might try to avoid them to keep the loot element interesting late in the game.

Possibly, maybe even probably. Wouldn't be surprised if they were easily exploited.

Faenix1

Speech checks and everything I know about them:
I'm level 17
, so far Charisma seems to be the only influence on speech checks with the exception of the Lady-Killer perk. There aren't New Vegas requirements for speech checks like [Barter 35/25] or [Strength 3/2] nor are there percentages shown that you will pass. Speech check difficulty is color-coded. Yellow is easy, orange average, red hard.

There are numerous speech checks (ex: better rewards, flirting, convincing someone to join), and there can be progressively more difficult checks in the same conversation (like convincing Colonel Autumn to stand down).

I always bring alcohol and a set of Charisma gear with me.

Guess it's a good thing I want the CHAR6 "Local Leader" perk.

nemisis0

Just got my shopto order :p they didn't send out disptach emails for fallout or call of duty and I got them both early, guessing so they don't get in trouble or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom