• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout Shelter: Phone game from Bethesda studios where you are the Overseer, out now

Luigi87

Will have to wait and play it to see if they hid any F2P microtransaction stuff in there somehow, but if it really operates as advertised it could be that Bethseda developed this thing not with the idea to make it a revenue producer, but rather as a glorified marketing tool for Fallout 4.

He said there is the option of buying lunchboxes for more items, but nothing that will slow or deter gameplay.

Actually nvm. It is disappointing that it's not coming to Android, I can't say I wouldn't be irritated if it were the other way around. Exclusivity sucks.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Got my iPad and iPhone 6 Plus ready!!! This'll be great to play at my desk at work.

Waiting....waiting....waiting....
Same man! iPad Mini and iPhone 6+ waiting...

Can a mod weight in here: Is asking/talking about a lack of Android version considered port begging? I'd like to avoid getting banned. :)
Not much else to discuss considering the game isn't actually out, and Bethesda's blog has been down for awhile now.

Also, not really port begging when nobody even really knows for sure, and major press releases suggest both iOS and Android versions.

That excuse would have worked a couple years ago but now Android is the most popular OS for smartphones.

and yet iOS brings in 70% more revenue on apps. Not that it matters all that much since this thing is free, but the raw userbase numbers don't tell the whole story when you are trying to decide which consumers you want to target. You can easily see why someone would want to target the group that spends a lot more money.

Will have to wait and play it to see if they hid any F2P microtransaction stuff in there somehow, but if it really operates as advertised it could be that Bethseda developed this thing not with the idea to make it a revenue producer, but rather as a glorified marketing tool for Fallout 4.

Yeah, despite all the assurances I kept thinking "but how will you make money on it?" because of how trained I am in reacting to mobile 'gaming'. It makes more sense in the context of a promotional tool for Fallout 4 (plus whatever terms of Apple deal) and would be really refreshing.

The artstyle is adorable as well.

Not much else to discuss considering the game isn't actually out, and Bethesda's blog has been down for awhile now.

Also, not really port begging when nobody even really knows for sure, and major press releases suggest both iOS and Android versions.

I'm a big Andoid guy, I just don't want to lose my account this week. :)

Cels

it was my understanding that Howard explicitly mentioned ios and android for the pip boy companion app, but he only mentioned iphone for the fallout shelter app. probably timed exclusivity or something.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
It's UP!!!!!!

w1XJsBF.png

stupei

1. Extreme fragmentation makes it a nightmare to develop for
2. Much lower userbase among gamers
3. Far worse tools and support to create games
4. Far more hackable

There's four good reasons it's not coming to Android right there.

And yet the pip boy app is coming to Android.

You don't think a big part of it is the comment Todd Howard himself made during the conference, that they worked with Apple, which presumably means they'll get extra promotion on the iTunes store front? Maybe a bit of added fanfare when the real game launches in exchange for exclusivity.

It's got me looking at the iTunes store on my iPad for the first time in a little while, so it certainly worked out in Apple's favor.

dottme

Which version of iOS is this going to require?

If they developed only for the latest version, I don't have number with me, but I'm sure IOS have a larger user base. If Apple bring the fragmentation of Android in each WWDC, there is a reason. And it is not to convince the end user.

Top Bottom