• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Japan 2012: Top 10 Games, Market -1.1%

I probably have bad short term memory, but 2012 saw the resurgence of the 3DS, Vita's first full year, and the launch of the Wii U. I would have expected a statistically significant growth in the market instead of flatlining.
You're right with the 3DS, Vita didn't contributed much and one month of the Wii U wouldn't have any great impact on the market.

2013 should see an increase. Monster Hunter 4, Dragon Quest VII, maybe Pokemon. Wii U's first year.

Oersted

I probably have bad short term memory, but 2012 saw the resurgence of the 3DS, Vita's first full year, and the launch of the Wii U. I would have expected a statistically significant growth in the market instead of flatlining.

Wii U launched in december in Japan. So 11 months declining Wii sales. And Vita, well...

Celine

Vita first full year was awful.
Wii U did as expected for a launch system.
3DS outpaced its previous year.
Rest of the meaningful systems (Wii,PS3 and PSP) declined.

Uh, launch software sales are never anything to write home about so dont expect growth from launches. The vita has well not had that great of sales and PS3, Wii, and DS all declined.

- Vita is a flop and the PSP continues to dwindle. Thats a negative situation for the market.
- PS3 continues to decline. Its software has been...not too memorable frankly.
- Will is fully'ish dead.
- WiiU has about 4 weeks on the market, its not exactly had much time to affect anything.

-3% compared to the rest of the world is frankly amazing. US is down what? 30%? UK close to 40%.
3DS cannot be expected to equal the entire market, so I'd say this is a fantastic result for the market.

nubbe

4DS should have a HDMI output and WiiU would be the last stationary machine from Nintendo.

Sony should need to make a PSP phone since Japan is big on their phones.

Microsoft need to make Blue Dragon 2!!!!1111 :mad:

cvxfreak

2012 Physical Japan Market: $5.144 billion
2012 Physical + Digital UK Market: $2.573 billion

Those "UK will overtake Japan" arguments from way back seem so silly now.

Road

2012 Physical Japan Market: $5.144 billion

Those "UK will overtake Japan" arguments from way back seem so silly now.

Well, that UK figure doesn't include hardware sales. The comparison should be:

2012 Physical Japan Market: $3.106 billion

Point still stands. =P

Well, that UK figure doesn't include hardware sales. The comparison should be:

2012 Physical Japan Market: $3.106 billion

Point still stands. =P

600 million is less silly than 2.6 billion though, probably would have been reasonably close last year although thats not including Japans digital

Top Bottom