• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fan remake gives Super Mario 64 a fresh look

Rocky

Banned
A Mario 64 HD remake should look like this, nothing more, nothing less.

Not with those fuckin flagpoles in the game it shouldn't. There were no flagpoles in the original and if the HD remake added them and timers, it would suck big time and ruin the game.

Dmented

Banned
Apparently he should have just rendered it all in wireframe because apparently the posters of gaf have trouble understanding what "work in progress" actually means in game development due to decades of AAA E3 reveal trailers bullshitting them.

Seems so. Some of the posts in this thread are embarrassing.

Courage

The dude's voice sounds exactly like Iwata
KuGsj.gif

He's testing the waters for a SM64 gritty reboot.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Looks absolutely hideous, barely above a bunch of random Garry's Mod objects thrown together.

Still, kudos to the guy, it probably took a lot of work.

Edit- "This is not the final look, these are just pretty basic graphics."

Oh good.

Sentenza

And IMO those people are pretty fucking dumb.

Apparently he should have just rendered it all in wireframe because apparently the posters of gaf have trouble understanding what "work in progress" actually means in game development due to decades of AAA E3 reveal trailers bullshitting them.
look, you can even stop crying about it.
It doesn't look good and some people are more or less jokingly pointing it. That's all.
No need to improvise a defense force to defend this guy's honor and start calling names.

Artanisix

Why don't you read the title of the freaking thread?

You really can't blame the posters in this thread for railing the awful look of the current remake because the title of this very thread SPECIFICALLY MENTIONS a "fresh look" on the game.

Sakwoff

Guys, games look like shit for like 95% of development. I can pretty much guarantee you that this was the case for like every mario game ever too. It's pretty much the norm and anyone who has ever developed a game on a certain scale knows this.

This is just a fan doing something neat. To get the basic mechanics/feel of the game working in a custom engine is pretty awesome.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Ew, it looks horrible so soulless.

looks like the camera is intact

The camera has be responsible for 90% of the death that I had in the game.

Lakitu Bros. you had one job. ¬_¬;

Nintendo will shut it down

Yep pretty much.

lol @ one of the youTube comments.

"Nothing can beat the original graphics"

Uhhh.

Well the comments kinda has a point the original has more soul and is more colourful than well this horror.

A Mario 64 HD remake should look like this, nothing more, nothing less.

Yep, that was what I was expecting.

Checkpoints in WF... it takes like 5 seconds to get to the top. :lol

It's for the younger player and if you want you can completely bypass the checkpoint. Also I think the level design is a little different in Galaxy 2.

pa22word

It doesn't look good and some people are more or less jokingly pointing it.

You have quite a strange definition of "jokingly". I prefer to refer to most of these posts as "ignorant" to be honest.

It's an early tech demo made to show off the physics engine + jumping mechanics and is not even close to representative of the final assets. He even says as much in the video.

Why don't you read the title of the freaking thread?

Yes and I also watched the freaking video and listened to what he freaking said, not to mention I read the freaking video description instead of coming in here and driveby posting freaking ignorant reactionary crap.

NeonZ

Not with those fuckin flagpoles in the game it shouldn't. There were no flagpoles in the original and if the HD remake added them and timers, it would suck big time and ruin the game.

That's from Galaxy 2. There's no timer. And the pole was there in the original, it just had no flag.

Edit: Oh, wait, I guess you meant the smaller one.

terrisus

Guys, games look like shit for like 95% of development. I can pretty much guarantee you that this was the case for like every mario game ever too. It's pretty much the norm and anyone who has ever developed a game on a certain scale knows this.

This is just a fan doing something neat. To get the basic mechanics/feel of the game working in a custom engine is pretty awesome.

The game isnt really made yet, the guy says in the video its just testing things

That sounds good in theory, but:

No, don't reveal work in progress until it's 95% done!
Haven't you learned anything people?

Nintendo will shut it down

Not to mention, camera is way, way too far zoomed-in.

And this is why realism should not be the end all be all goal in art. The clean simple shapes and colors of the original look more interesting than this.

Cipherr

Guys, games look like shit for like 95% of development.

Good, then clearly you should be able to understand why someone might find the look of a game currently in dev rather.... 'shitty'. Noone is saying he cant and wont improve it, so lets stop wailing about it.

Right NOW it doesn't look good at all (to some people). But its a work in progress and technically still a nice feat.

No, don't reveal work in progress until it's 95% done!
Haven't you learned anything people?

Nah you can reveal a work in progress if you want. Just don't act shocked when some people make judgements or observations based on what they see when it is shown. That really shouldn't be surprising at all.

Dynedom

Think in this case it's more the art style than the technical aspects of it.

Right but I don't know if that comment was in relation to the actual video or just a general statement. The uploader himself said it wasn't the final product so it's a bizarre statement to make.

TUROK

look, you can even stop crying about it.
It doesn't look good and some people are more or less jokingly pointing it. That's all.
No need to improvise a defense force to defend this guy's honor and start calling names.
I don't think you know what "jokingly" means.

It looks fine for a fan remake that isn't finished.

And this is why realism should not be the end all be all goal in art. The clean simple shapes and colors of the original look more interesting than this.
Wat. The only difference here besides the slightly higher res textures and higher poly Mario is a muted color palette. Did you even see the video? It's quite literally covered in simple shapes.

terrisus

Not really, I was literally playing the original a couple of hours ago, and unless you use the little flying camera guy view, it's absurdly close.

This video looks like ass though.

I always play it on the Lakitu zoomed-out view.
If I need to for something I'll zoom in a bit, but zoom back out as soon as I'm done with whatever I needed to be zoomed in for.

That looks like utter and complete shit. Super Mario 64 doesn't need a "fresh look" anyway. Let's save the "fresh looks" for games that weren't aesthetically pleasing in the first place.

Stet

Banned
It's hilarious to me that other than the phong sheen on Mario, the temporary asset is ripped right from Brawl and people are still shitting all over it for being too gritty.

TUSR

Banned
It's hilarious to me that other than the phong sheen on Mario, the temporary asset is ripped right from Brawl and people are still shitting all over it for being too gritty.

character model doesnt fit the environment

Why "tweak the gameplay"? The gameplay was perfect, just give me Mario 64 in Mario Galaxy graphics. No new moves, no changed gameplay or levels, no new caps. Mayyyyybe improve the camera but even that functions exactly as it needs to already.

I have never been a fan of how Mario (or many of the characters, but especially Mario/Luigi) looks in Brawl.

Clott

I think it was more important for him to tell people he is making the game than to actually finish it. He has set out some crazy goals and it all sounds like that wonderful feeling you have when starting a project and the potential is limitless.

Good luck if he is doing this by himself, and the cease and desists letter will be on its way soon enough.

nded

I'm more impressed by how well he got the physics down. Even if Nintendo does C&D him, the framework could probably be used to make something else.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I gotta agree with previous posters. Even if Nintendo shuts the project down, getting the physics down still provides him with a solid groundwork to build something original with.

This is what happens when you make a game without art direction.

He was pretty clear that it wasn't using final graphics. Mario model looks like it's ripped out of Brawl with some ugly shiny effect applied to it. Maybe trying to emulate the rim lighting from Galaxy and failing miserably at it :p.

Top Bottom