• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fan remake gives Super Mario 64 a fresh look

Cipherr

It's hilarious to me that other than the phong sheen on Mario, the temporary asset is ripped right from Brawl and people are still shitting all over it for being too gritty.

Im not sure thats surprising. Not the hugest fan of the look of Mario in Brawl either.

spuit*11

Banned
It's a prototype, clearly not intended to showcase final art assets but just a some blocks to test stuff in. People can't really be this half-witted.

It's like I'm taking crazy pills up in this bitch.

nded

the physics are not even right, hes missing dust frames...

Well shit, you're right. He might as well just scrap the whole thing and commit sudoku at the Nintendo HQ parking lot if he can't even put dust frames in there. GAWD.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Eh...it's just kind of odd looking. Very simple geometry that's been prettied up with more realistic textures. Not into it.

TUSR

Banned
Well shit, you're right. He might as well just scrap the whole thing and commit sudoku at the Nintendo HQ parking lot if he can't even put dust frames in there. GAWD.

or switch to a better game engine, seems easier

terrisus

It's hilarious to me that other than the phong sheen on Mario, the temporary asset is ripped right from Brawl and people are still shitting all over it for being too gritty.

Alright?
I don't like the way Super Smash Bros. Brawl looks either.

Randomizer

I mean if he can rip Models from Brawl, he should be able to rip straight from the Galaxy games. Keeping my expections low, these things never get finished due to effort needed and/or C&D'ed.

Well....yeah....it's a prototype, a work in progress. The guy said so himself. Looks neat for a fan project, though a different art direction is preferable. I'm interested to see what comes of it.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
I've never in my life owned a nintendo console and that "Waah!" noise he makes when jumping multiple times still gives me a nostalgia boner. Fucking EVERYONE has played Mario64.

Silkworm

I originally read this as "Fan remake gives Superman 64 a fresh look" and asked myself "Why God, why?" :-D

Glad it was Super Mario 64 instead since I can see the rationale for spending effort on that.

lol @ one of the youTube comments.

"Nothing can beat the original graphics"

Uhhh.

LBQnVHu.jpg

drexplora

people always find ways to complain about nothing on here...

God forbid a game improves its look and gameplay throughout development...
Or do you feel that your eyes are the grace of GOD, and you have no choice but to point out these game destroying bugs.. or we might all die...

People don't even realize their same lame "comment" was posted already..
people don't read, watch, listen...

Why post on a topic you don't even find interesting enough to inform yourself before posting...

The most irrelevant thing possible...the look of Mario....
C'mon people...

This is awesome...a real retro remake in the works!!
Would be cool to see this till release.

eso76

Mario model is fine, problem is shaders and lighting, and realistic textures for scenery have no business here.
It's obviously just placeholders though.

drexplora

must be...
over 100 posts full of nothing...

everyone here always makes a point to differentiate themselves from the rest.. the majority.. the mainstream..
to prove what? that you both see the same things

213372bu

Banned
He said in the video that the graphics were purely something simple he put together, I guess as placeholders... if this project goes anywhere I'm sure he would get an art direction and stuff, he was just showing off the engine. I'm 99% sure a C&D will be going out though.

Man reading through this thread is honestly embarrassing. You would think that users of neogaf would know such words as placeholders, tech demo etc.

On topic, I'm really impressed by how close he got the physics to resemble the originals. If he reaches his long-term goal of multiplayer with portals, I'm gonna be pretty psyched about this(he won't ;_;)

drexplora

honestly in the state this is in, it still looks so much better then the original Mario 64.
the textures themselves destroy..

N64_Super_Mario_64_whomp_fortress.jpg

Worst behavior!
Remember?

dock

When was the last time that a Nintendo fan project was shot down by Nintendo?

Even Ittle Dew, which is basically a fan-game, is published on a Nintendo platform.

I originally read this as "Fan remake gives Superman 64 a fresh look" and asked myself "Why God, why?" :-D

Glad it was Super Mario 64 instead since I can see the rationale for spending effort on that.

Now that sounds like a good challenge. Time to learn some Blender and Unity.

3bdelilah

Banned
The potential and especially movement are great, art style not so much. Looks too gritty for Mario 64.

Speaking of which, what do you guys think are the chances Nintendo will announce a SM64 remake on Wii U? Would be a modern gaming dream come true, alongside an OOT HD (which likely won't happen :( )

GamerJM

Banned
honestly in the state this is in, it still looks so much better then the original Mario 64.
the textures themselves destroy..

N64_Super_Mario_64_whomp_fortress.jpg

Worst behavior!
Remember?

Still prefer SM64 original. The art design is miles ahead.

I guess that just proves how much more I care about art design over "graphics".

KHlover

Banned
Seems like he got the jump animations down pretty well.

Now expect 1-2 years with a few small updates and then a quiet cancellation because he lost interest midway through the project.

Also might have wanted to leave the stage untextured. Right now everyone only seems to argue about the absolutely hideous artstyle of this pre-alpha.

McSpidey

Using mario64 audio samples obviously isn't legal, or animation data ripped samples, but I wonder if re-keying the animation using that original ripped animation data as a visual guide would count as legal given the labour is your own?

TUSR

Banned
Using mario64 audio samples obviously isn't legal, or animation data ripped samples, but I wonder if re-keying the animation using that original ripped animation data as a visual guide would count as legal given the labour is your own?

doesnt matter its still someone elses IP

Top Bottom