• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fan remake gives Super Mario 64 a fresh look

terrisus

people always find ways to complain about nothing on here...

God forbid a game improves its look and gameplay throughout development...

People don't even realize their same lame "comment" was posted already..

Why post on a topic you don't even find interesting enough to inform yourself before posting...

Would be cool to see this till release.

So I take it that you haven't read all of the replies to this topic either...

I don't think you know what "jokingly" means.

It looks fine for a fan remake that isn't finished.

Wat. The only difference here besides the slightly higher res textures and higher poly Mario is a muted color palette. Did you even see the video? It's quite literally covered in simple shapes.

Yes, I saw it. It's the textures I am exactly referring to.

Enk

makes good threads.
So is nearly everyone watching this without sound on? Anyways, looks like a good first step. He seems like he's got most of the player mechanics functioning right.

Matt_C

I would so play and pay a reskinned platformer running on this engine for PC. Forget remaking Mario 64, why not make a new Indy 3d collecting platformer with wall jumping? How about teaming up with some ex Rare guys and hire Dave Wise to make a soundtrack as a kickstarter goal?

The PC could use more 3d platformers.

Amir0x

Banned
Yikes, not very attractive. Super Mario 3D World and Galaxy should be the ideal direction, not...this.

He says it's not the final look of the game, but I hope it progresses far away from this basic standard >_<

Mithos

jHhDoK9.jpg

iuMYAKB.jpg

OaPMq9o.jpg
A Mario 64 HD remake should look like this, nothing more, nothing less.

Super Mario 64 released as DLC episodes on Wii U, do it Nintendo (or a full remake is fine too) ;P

Looks like there are almost no textures, but it's really early on (obviously).

Could be great, but it seems like it probably won't last long.

must be...
over 100 posts full of nothing...

everyone here always makes a point to differentiate themselves from the rest.. the majority.. the mainstream..
to prove what? that you both see the same things
Way to shit on valuable contributions to the thread. Yeah! That'll get 'ya somewhere!! <sigh>

What am I supposed to say? It looks like Galaxy? It looks like something it doesn't look like? I know it's a WIP and all but that doesn't change the fact I think it looks a bit unlike Mario as I'm used to seeing. Doesn't mean it's bad in and of itself, just the look as-is in these videos doesn't fit my (or many people's) expectations of a Mario aesthetic.

You can't shit on people for having an opinion, an opinion it seems like you're only assuming by reading a small selection of posts and judging everyone else by them.

Mama-fuckin'-mia!

It's hilarious to me that other than the phong sheen on Mario, the temporary asset is ripped right from Brawl and people are still shitting all over it for being too gritty.

I noticed that watching the video....Brawl isn't an ideal inspiration. For many things, visual style being one of them :S

are those the brawl textures on Mario? It's a work-in progress but it's hideous regardless, though it's still SM64 so it's still more of the type of 3D Mario I prefer compared to 3D World.

beril

I mean for a fan remake (and seemingly a single person working on it) it's fairly impressive.

Not really. It's some ripped assets put into an existing engine. It looks like a fairly decent reproduction of mario's moveset and controls but that's currently all it is; and that's not really an impressive amount of work. And it's really not worth the attention. If this was an indie game, without copyright infringement and a chance of actually one day being a finished product, there's no way it would get a Polygon article and a Gaf thread if shown at this state.

Satch

Banned
hes doing good work

just needs brighter colors and less realistic texturing, but the physics definitely seem to be there

I don't really get why everybody is talking about the look of it.

He says it's temp stuff. I guess lots of people only watched the first few seconds? Weird.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I know this is mean cause somebody obviously spend a lot of time, and it is impressive for what it is but.....this looks terrible.

I know these amateur developers are excited to show what they have. But why can't they just keep it to themselves then release a finished product? Then a C&D would be too late because the game would be in the wild.

Probably to get help from other amateur developers. These projects are usually collaborations of some sort.

PirateKing

Wow. The comments on this thread is embarrassing.

That has excellent animation and the sensitivity in controlling the character seems right. I wish him good luck and hopefully Nintendo hires this guy. He's pretty talented.

pa22word

Wow. The comments on this thread is embarrassing.

That has excellent animation and the sensitivity in controlling the character seems right. I wish him good luck and hopefully Nintendo hires this guy. He's pretty talented.
Yep. This entire thread is a joke, and goes to show how little of gaf actually knows anything at all about game design...and how few of them have an attention span longer than 20 seconds.

It's a tech demo using temporary assets to show off the physics engine and jumping mechanics. Ffs people...

jts

...hate me...
A Mario 64 HD remake should look like this, nothing more, nothing less.
C'mon, that sky is just ugly. Technically ugly (you can read the texture tile even if you're blind) and adds an unnecessary grim look to the level.

C&D incoming.

And yes I know it's programmer art at this stage but the guy should really make the initial assets for vibrant and colourful.

JaseMath

Apparently he should have just rendered it all in wireframe because apparently the posters of gaf have trouble understanding what "work in progress" actually means in game development due to decades of AAA E3 reveal trailers bullshitting them.
So...it'll look worse? :p

Lebon14

Beside the look (which isn't final), it's pretty impressive for one guy's work. The engine seems to work pretty smoothly.

I'm interessed in further development, if Nintendo doesn't shut it down first.

Top Bottom