• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasy Life |OT| Living the American Dream

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Crazy addictive - poured about 15 hours into this in the last few days. I'm doing the no fighting or killing ANYTHING route. The main story of course, is stupid easy, but it's proving to be extremely difficult to raise in rank after expert in mining, blacksmithing, or alchemy.

- I cannot access most caves. The only entirely unblocked cave is Nautilus Cave in Port Puerto. Upper snowpeak area is completely sealed off - no source of Platinum ore at all. Such a weird design decision.
- I have no access to Red Gels to make bombs, nor fangs or claws - can't seem to buy them anywhere.
- No platinum ore = nothing doing on the blacksmithing front.
- Couldn't mine a lot of ores at all until I got the tier above gold pickaxe. Zero damage bites.

Nevertheless, I think I should have sufficient challenge points to at least master Mining... BARELY (with the help of celestial ore mining challenges, which is a level above expert haha)

FaintDeftone

I'm thinking of picking this up. I need something new to play on my 3DS badly and I'm a huge fan of action RPGs and Harvest Moon/Animal Crossing. Looks right up my alley.

Fusebox

Banned
Crazy addictive - poured about 15 hours into this in the last few days. I'm doing the no fighting or killing ANYTHING route. The main story of course, is stupid easy, but it's proving to be extremely difficult to raise in rank after expert in mining, blacksmithing, or alchemy.

- I cannot access most caves. The only entirely unblocked cave is Nautilus Cave in Port Puerto. Upper snowpeak area is completely sealed off - no source of Platinum ore at all. Such a weird design decision.
- I have no access to Red Gels to make bombs, nor fangs or claws - can't seem to buy them anywhere.
- No platinum ore = nothing doing on the blacksmithing front.
- Couldn't mine a lot of ores at all until I got the tier above gold pickaxe. Zero damage bites.

Nevertheless, I think I should have sufficient challenge points to at least master Mining... BARELY (with the help of celestial ore mining challenges, which is a level above expert haha)

Fangs from the Shady Stuff store? Awesome that you're doing a pacifist run btw.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Fangs from the Shady Stuff store? Awesome that you're doing a pacifist run btw.

Some of the unique fangs and claws I haven't been able to find on vendors at all. Oh well.

Updated: Mastered Mining, Alchemy, and Blacksmithing last night, in that order. The key was getting to Master Mining, because that means I could buy platinum ore from the mole up at Snowpeak, and then I could craft rings for alchemy and ingots for blacksmithing. Lots of running around, lots of scavenging for ingredients, not sure if I can hit the higher levels, but it's been quite fun and rewarding playing with that self-limitation. Pretty awesome the game allows this actually.

Level 2 dagger skills! (only because I was hitting doomstones haha)

Fusebox

Banned
Some of the unique fangs and claws I haven't been able to find on vendors at all. Oh well.

Ah yeah I didn't know you were past the level entry fangs already. It'd be cool if there was some way I could send you stuff.

I was thinking of doing my first playthrough on a physical tip. Paladin, blacksmith, woodcutter, miner etc and my second playthrough on a magic tip - alchemy, magician, cook, tailor etc but my backlog is so big I don't know when I'd ever find the time to replay it so I'll probably have a go at getting all 12 lives to at least adept on my first playthrough.

yayaba

Really wished they had put in different mechanics for the crafting classes. Doing the same 3 minigames gets tiring after awhile. It really could've served to differentiate the classes as well.

I've heard this game is like FFXIV: ARR lite. What are the chances that if my wife loves this game that she'll be able to handle ARR?

Robin64

New code for Europe.

Dragon tamer (Dragon outfit)

B6qkOdGIgAEeRs1.png:medium

Here's a link to all the codes officially released so far. Remember, US guys, let me know if you spot one on Facebook or Twitter or whatever.

Remember, US guys, let me know if you spot one on Facebook or Twitter or whatever.
I actually went scouting for codes the night before and there's been nothing posted (that I could find) since the holiday home furnishings. I'm really disappointed that they really only have one person distributing them (Amy on Miiverse) and she's covering multiple games so her attention to the communities is divided.
I've heard this game is like FFXIV: ARR lite. What are the chances that if my wife loves this game that she'll be able to handle ARR?
It's kinda hard to know until she tries it, really. There's a lot of elements she'd dig but until she's actually in the world and seeing what it's like to level and do dungeons with others, it's a hard call. I'd say that if you're willing to stick with her at least through the beginning till she makes some friends, it's worth a shot.

Robin64

I have a question from a friend who can't post here, but figured you guys might know the answer. I never really played paladin, so can't help him.

"I'm a God-Rank paladin running through the trials at 96 largely with creator gear. Everything in the trial of darkness hits so hard I've been running sword and board strategies to great effect, but I want to be able to charge up and use god mode for bosses. Since special attack changes X from shield to the attack, I can't charge to god mode because I absolutely need to be able to use my shield. Is there any way to use your shield while your special attack is charged (and thereby charge the second bar for god mode) or is it just locked out?"

adroit

Since special attack changes X from shield to the attack, I can't charge to god mode because I absolutely need to be able to use my shield. Is there any way to use your shield while your special attack is charged (and thereby charge the second bar for god mode) or is it just locked out?"
A similar quandary is not being able to use "X" to heal your party when the wizard's special skill is charged. The control scheme has drawbacks.

(Yes, I know I can press "A" 50 times (slight exaggeration) to eventually get a (small) amount of party healing. That isn't a workable alternative to "X".)

I still love the game. But it ain't perfect.

Narras

I've been playing Fantasy Life for so long and I just figured out that the shield can push back and attack with itself after blocking right as it leveled to 20. I felt kind of dumb.

Chaos17

I have a question from a friend who can't post here, but figured you guys might know the answer. I never really played paladin, so can't help him.

"I'm a God-Rank paladin running through the trials at 96 largely with creator gear. Everything in the trial of darkness hits so hard I've been running sword and board strategies to great effect, but I want to be able to charge up and use god mode for bosses. Since special attack changes X from shield to the attack, I can't charge to god mode because I absolutely need to be able to use my shield. Is there any way to use your shield while your special attack is charged (and thereby charge the second bar for god mode) or is it just locked out?"
That's normal that ennemies hit hard, he will need to hit level 150 and make better creator equipement with better materials before feeling confortable in that tower.
And it seems there ain't anyway to use your shield because of that special attack.

SeZMehK

I just picked up this game. I thought this game would not be interesting when I first heard about it but now that I am playing it, it is really fun. I can't believe I waited this long to play it.

yayaba

It's kinda hard to know until she tries it, really. There's a lot of elements she'd dig but until she's actually in the world and seeing what it's like to level and do dungeons with others, it's a hard call. I'd say that if you're willing to stick with her at least through the beginning till she makes some friends, it's worth a shot.

Yeah after looking into FFIV some more I think it'd be way too hardcore for her. If I were to play with her we'd basically play together from the start as I doubt she would want to play on her own.

I was actually looking at DQIX as a possible candidate for the next ladder up in her gaming experience. I haven't played it yet but it looks more challenging than Fantasy Life and the good thing is we can still co-op and I can help her out with the story if she gets stuck.

Generally the co-op ability is pretty important to help ease her into any RPG. She got stuck in RF4 after about 30 hours not knowing where to go and eventually she got into areas where she was only doing about 2 damage to each enemy and they were slaughtering her in return. I've already had to help her out in Fantasy Life by making sure she keeps her equipment up to date as I think having so many game mechanics confuses her.

Yeah after looking into FFIV some more I think it'd be way too hardcore for her. If I were to play with her we'd basically play together from the start as I doubt she would want to play on her own.

I was actually looking at DQIX as a possible candidate for the next ladder up in her gaming experience. I haven't played it yet but it looks more challenging than Fantasy Life and the good thing is we can still co-op and I can help her out with the story if she gets stuck.

Generally the co-op ability is pretty important to help ease her into any RPG. She got stuck in RF4 after about 30 hours not knowing where to go and eventually she got into areas where she was only doing about 2 damage to each enemy and they were slaughtering her in return. I've already had to help her out in Fantasy Life by making sure she keeps her equipment up to date as I think having so many game mechanics confuses her.
You should try some Tales games. Those are co-op.

Symphonia would be a good place to start IMO.

Fusebox

Banned
Gah, that sinking feeling when I see a monster has respawned right on top of the spot where I left my bounties for a minute or two. The monster only starts attacking my bounties when I get close and when trying to kill the monster I usually do more damage to my own bounties anyway.

My own fault for not taking them in straight away I guess.

Gah, that sinking feeling when I see a monster has respawned right on top of the spot where I left my bounties for a minute or two. The monster only starts attacking my bounties when I get close and when trying to kill the monster I usually do more damage to my own bounties anyway.

My own fault for not taking them in straight away I guess.
Try sneaking up next time.

Fusebox

Banned
Anyone ever lose a bounty? Like, you're running around with 3 and then next thing you have 2 and you search everywhere but can't find it and didn't have any battles recently?

Or am I going mad from playing too much FL.

Tiu Neo

Anyone ever lose a bounty? Like, you're running around with 3 and then next thing you have 2 and you search everywhere but can't find it and didn't have any battles recently?

Or am I going mad from playing too much FL.

Are you running? Pressing the run button will make you drop one of your bounties.

Fusebox

Banned
Yeah I noticed I can pull out my sword to drop all my bounties or run to drop one, but if I did accidentally drop it that way I would have expected to find it nearby.

Most likely I just dropped it somewhere daft and didn't realise it.

Mononoke

Banned
I'm in love with this game. Can't put it down. However I recently made gladiator armor and it says I can't wear it. I have Blacksmith, Mining and Paladin life. I'm level 25 overall. I think each class is Expert level.

I was looking at my skills and can't figure out which one is tied to Armor. Is it shield? Longsword? I'm at level 7 on all of these. Way off from level 15 at this point In the game.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I'm in love with this game. Can't put it down. However I recently made gladiator armor and it says I can't wear it. I have Blacksmith, Mining and Paladin life. I'm level 25 overall. I think each class is Expert level.

I was looking at my skills and can't figure out which one is tied to Armor. Is it shield? Longsword? I'm at level 7 on all of these. Way off from level 15 at this point In the game.

Items will tell you the requirements when you're looking at them in the menu. It'll have the usable classes highlighted and also specify any level requirements.

So as an example:

latest

That's only usable by paladins, mercenaries, miners, woodcutters, blacksmiths, and carpenters, and you also have to be level 55 to equip it. Certain items can also have skill level requirements as well.

Mononoke

Banned
Items will tell you the requirements when you're looking at them in the menu. It'll have the usable classes highlighted and also specify any level requirements.

So as an example:

latest

That's only usable by paladins, mercenaries, miners, woodcutters, blacksmiths, and carpenters, and you also have to be level 55 to equip it. Certain items can also have skill level requirements as well.

Strange. I'm level 25.

Oh fuck okay. I'm on blacksmith life. I didn't realize I had to switch my life to wear it. Strange enough, as Blacksmith and Miner I can wear every armor I could wear as Paladin with no issue (while as my other life). Wonder why this specific armor is this way.

Does that make sense? So every armor up to this point for my Paladin, I could wear it when I was doing my blacksmith or miner life. But for some reason the Gladiator armor doesn't work. I get why now. Just curious why that armor randomly changed compared to my past armor (which were also heavy combat armor too).

Strange. I'm level 25.

Oh fuck okay. I'm on blacksmith life. I didn't realize I had to switch my life to wear it. Strange enough, as Blacksmith and Miner I can wear every armor I could wear as Paladin with no issue (while as my other life). Wonder why this specific armor is this way.

Does that make sense? So every armor up to this point for my Paladin, I could wear it when I was doing my blacksmith or miner life. But for some reason the Gladiator armor doesn't work. I get why now. Just curious why that armor randomly changed compared to my past armor (which were also heavy combat armor too).
As you get further in the game, equipment becomes a lot more specialized. You'll need to change your gear a lot to suit the task and life you are currently running.

Though if you get the DLC and completely master all the jobs, you won't have anymore gear restrictions.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Strange. I'm level 25.

Yeah, I don't think there's any particular reason, it's just like that sometimes. I guess maybe it gives you something to work toward, like "oh man, I wish I could use this, better level up *insert life/skill/etc*." You'll find that with weapons in particular, some of the better ones can only be used by the life that specializes in it.

mstevens

Picked this up finally. Is there lots of missable stuff in this game aka should I use a guide for anything or go in completely cold?

Mononoke

Banned
As you get further in the game, equipment becomes a lot more specialized. You'll need to change your gear a lot to suit the task and life you are currently running.

Though if you get the DLC and completely master all the jobs, you won't have anymore gear restrictions.

Ah okay. Thanks for the heads up. I've already put in 30 + hours just kind of messing around. I'm so hooked on this game. But this was the first time I ran into something like this, so I was trying to figure out what I was doing wrong hah.

That's actually great to hear, I'll pick this up soon. Meaning in like an Animal Crossing sort of way? Or it's just not too hard or anything.
Not really like Animal Crossing besides a few light elements, but is generally very laid back. You can do pretty much everything at your own pace.

The difficulty definitely picks up in the DLC expansion though.

TheMoon

That's actually great to hear, I'll pick this up soon. Meaning in like an Animal Crossing sort of way? Or it's just not too hard or anything.

The Animal Crossing comparisons really hurt the perception. The similarities pretty much stop where both games are laid back, you take things at your own pace, you talk to people and go about your day. Fantasy Life is not a grand epic adventure. You pick a life (or multiple or all of them) and then just do the thing. This will lead you to various places. While there is a main plot element unrelated to your job that determines a narrative starting and ending point, the key part of the game is just doing whatev's. And that's why it's so great. You can play how you want to. A bunch of posts ago I linked to a blog of someone doing a complete pacifist playthrough even.

Kinvara

Ah okay. Thanks for the heads up. I've already put in 30 + hours just kind of messing around. I'm so hooked on this game. But this was the first time I ran into something like this, so I was trying to figure out what I was doing wrong hah.

Yeah, it's super addicting! It's one of my most played 3DS games. I'm taking a break from it for now.

I need to post pics of my character some time.

Choomp

Banned
The Animal Crossing comparisons really hurt the perception. The similarities pretty much stop where both games are laid back, you take things at your own pace, you talk to people and go about your day. Fantasy Life is not a grand epic adventure. You pick a life (or multiple or all of them) and then just do the thing. This will lead you to various places. While there is a main plot element unrelated to your job that determines a narrative starting and ending point, the key part of the game is just doing whatev's. And that's why it's so great. You can play how you want to. A bunch of posts ago I linked to a blog of someone doing a complete pacifist playthrough even.

That still sounds fun. I'm a huge fan of the simulation genre and stuff like Animal Crossing, but if this game has a similar feel and you can kind of pace yourself and do your thing, I'm sure I'll like it and play a good amount.

TheMoon

That still sounds fun. I'm a huge fan of the simulation genre and stuff like Animal Crossing, but if this game has a similar feel and you can kind of pace yourself and do your thing, I'm sure I'll like it and play a good amount.

That's what I was trying to say with that :D

It's just that those "like Animal Crossing" comparisons don't leave any room where Fantasy Life is also an Action RPG.

yayaba

For a case reference, I'm 32 hours in, about half way done through the story, and have played 10/12 lives. I'm Expert at a few, Adept most of them, and Apprentice on one.

There is a TON of stuff to do in this game. I strongly advise any new players to NOT just barrel into the story first thing expecting to complete it the first day. The story is the worst part of the game imo and is only useful for unlocks.

Play at least through Chapter 2, then start rotating lives, working on each one whenever you want and at the same time, talking to everyone to get side quests. Through Chapter 4, you'll open up the important areas, have a ton of life quests to do, and even more villager quests.

I almost always run at 25/30 or above on side quests. I spend an hour finishing up 3 or 4 and I immediately get 5 more. It's awesome and very MMO'ish.

The life quests definitely start feeding into each other after you get them up to a decent level too.

Also, make sure to pick up everything you come across... you'll need it eventually :p And don't sell anything either, just stuff it into your storage.

Enjoy!

Top Bottom