• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fantasy Life |OT| Living the American Dream

yayaba

Lvl 35 now, decided I should stop faffing and do some storyline quests before I spend the next year playing nothing else but FL. Just opened up Coco caves this morning, yay new location.

Level 33 here. I'm dreading going back to do the storyline quests. They're terribly boring in comparison to everything else.

Maybe this is why they don't put great stories in MMO's. I'm playing this game for all intents and purposes exactly like an MMO.

Robin64

New code for Europe.

Yummy honey bear (Teddy)

B7j2_btIMAAZ8TC.png:medium

Here's a link to all the codes officially released so far. Remember, US guys, let me know if you spot one on Facebook or Twitter or whatever.

Linius

Noticed Fantasy Life got in on the 54th spot in the Gaf GOTY list. That's pretty good. Sorry I didn't vote, Fantasy Life would have topped my list. Oh well.

MarkusRJR

Should I get this game, Fire Emblem: Awakening or Bravely Default? In the mood for a JRPG, and I heard this was Animal Crossing mixed with Dragon Quest.

VandalD

Should I get this game, Fire Emblem: Awakening or Bravely Default? In the mood for a JRPG, and I heard this was Animal Crossing mixed with Dragon Quest.
This is a good, grindy ARPG with a meh story. Most of the fun is in your class progression and how the classes can benefit from each other, and the story mostly just gets in the way of that. This will last you a long time if you're looking to do everything. All three games are great. Just depends on what kind of JRPG you want.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Noticed Fantasy Life got in on the 54th spot in the Gaf GOTY list. That's pretty good. Sorry I didn't vote, Fantasy Life would have topped my list. Oh well.

I didn't vote either, but I probably would've had it up there. Oh well, that's still not bad.

Awakening is a turn-based tactics RPG, Bravely Default is a pretty traditional turn-based, and this is more of a light action RPG. They're not really too similar, but if you know which of those you tend to prefer, that can help you narrow it down.

FE:A is fantastic and a great entry to the series. Enough replay value to make you want to go through the story two or three times, and the characters are great.

Fantasy Life is super charming and a lite MMO. Lots and lots and lots to do, but the story itself is pretty terrible. That said, the gameplay is incredibly satisfying and I constantly find myself wanting to do just one more thing, then another, then another until i've been playing for three hours straight. And I'm only 85 hours into the game. :p

yayaba

Blacksmith has to be one of the better classes. I'm failing to see why cooking, tailoring, or carpentry is worth the time other than being able to complete quests. So far I haven't used anything from those lives that I've made.

Blacksmith has to be one of the better classes. I'm failing to see why cooking, tailoring, or carpentry is worth the time other than being able to complete quests. So far I haven't used anything from those lives that I've made.

Carpentry makes good wands and fishing poles, and the furniture can be used to decorate your houses. :p

Tailoring has some fun fashion you can make, though the stats are often inferior to what a similarly leveled Blacksmith could make. Rainbow gear is great, however. :)

I agree that I find Cooking mostly useless. Temporary stat boosts just aren't my thing.

Linius

Well you're gonna need to get some serious carpenter skills later on if you want to make cool weapons as a smith. Or you buy all the mats if possible. But I enjoyed the link-up between carpenting and smithing. Complemented by woodcutting and mining obviously.

Is it just me or are the wizard/magician quests super hard towards the end of adept? I'm stuck on that rank and the only way to seemingly progress is to defeat certain boss monsters who nearly 3 hit kill me. I'm level 26 at the moment.

Seil

Carpentry and Tailoring are going to be required at some point to progress Blacksmith. Some beams can't be purchased, at least without Carpenter progress. And Stardust Linen is necessary to hit Legendary Blacksmith and I don't believe it can be purchased at all.

Is it just me or are the wizard/magician quests super hard towards the end of adept? I'm stuck on that rank and the only way to seemingly progress is to defeat certain boss monsters who nearly 3 hit kill me. I'm level 26 at the moment.

Make use of ally NPCs, make sure your gear and stats are up to date as well. Ideally, your allies would be holding most of the attention. They may die a lot, but at least it's not you haha.

I didn't really have any problems with combat classes until going after the last boss or two, primarily due to being underleveled/undergeared.

You could also use the password for the Mysterious set, but it comes at the price of making you really OP for a wizard, especially early on lol. A wizard using it is probably capable of hitting Legendary at a level the other classes wouldn't stand a chance.

Tripon

Can somebody tell me why Pam won't give me Lunares coins? I'm still doing the main story, do I have to wait until the post game?

MarkusRJR

This is a good, grindy ARPG with a meh story. Most of the fun is in your class progression and how the classes can benefit from each other, and the story mostly just gets in the way of that. This will last you a long time if you're looking to do everything. All three games are great. Just depends on what kind of JRPG you want.

I didn't vote either, but I probably would've had it up there. Oh well, that's still not bad.

Awakening is a turn-based tactics RPG, Bravely Default is a pretty traditional turn-based, and this is more of a light action RPG. They're not really too similar, but if you know which of those you tend to prefer, that can help you narrow it down.

FE:A is fantastic and a great entry to the series. Enough replay value to make you want to go through the story two or three times, and the characters are great.

Fantasy Life is super charming and a lite MMO. Lots and lots and lots to do, but the story itself is pretty terrible. That said, the gameplay is incredibly satisfying and I constantly find myself wanting to do just one more thing, then another, then another until i've been playing for three hours straight. And I'm only 85 hours into the game. :p
I'm planning on playing Xenoblade 3D once it comes out, so I kind of want something light and upbeat so I don't burn myself out on JRPG's. Fantasy Life seems to fit the bill, but the lack of story is kind of a downer.

Linius

Us three could have boosted Fantasy Life so much, it's sad thinking about it now :p

I've never voted for the Gaf GOTY's though. That's my excuse. I vote for TV, Music and Films though.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Us three could have boosted Fantasy Life so much, it's sad thinking about it now :p

I've never voted for the Gaf GOTY's though. That's my excuse. I vote for TV, Music and Films though.

Me neither. I did TV this year though for the first time. The majority of my GOTY picks would just be Nintendo stuff since that's what I play most. I rarely play PC games the year they come out since I'm not in a rush to play things there and wait for sales (just recently started Tomb Raider 2013 as an example). I'd rather leave lists like that to people with a broader spectrum of choices.

yayaba

I'm planning on playing Xenoblade 3D once it comes out, so I kind of want something light and upbeat so I don't burn myself out on JRPG's. Fantasy Life seems to fit the bill, but the lack of story is kind of a downer.

There is a story. It's well written and can be charming at times.

...I just haven't heard of anyone thoroughly enjoying it. It's pretty much an A button masher for me.

Seil

There is a story. It's well written and can be charming at times.

...I just haven't heard of anyone thoroughly enjoying it. It's pretty much an A button masher for me.

Yeah... The story is okay, and I like a lot of the characters in the game. But the way the story segments are actually handled makes it a chore. Take a few steps, talk for a while, take a few more steps, more talking, maybe a super easy fight, then lots more talking.

For most people, you either plow through it to unlock everything or you put it off until you have to do more to advance. I did a combination of those lol. I liked the story and characters, but I disliked actually doing story stuff in the game.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I adore this game, it's unbelievably addictive, and really charming. Bought it on a whim thanks to this thread.

I'm trying the magician life and I've got it to about level 4-5 - I'm using a palm staff and have boosted my magic stats somewhat but it still seems super low-powered compared to my melee classes and the SP drain is just too high... Am I doing something wrong? Any tips for that class? I invariably run out of SP fast. My character is level 22 I think. Finding it easier to just equip a sword instead!

Seil

I adore this game, it's unbelievably addictive, and really charming. Bought it on a whim thanks to this thread.

I'm trying the magician life and I've got it to about level 4-5 - I'm using a palm staff and have boosted my magic stats somewhat but it still seems super low-powered compared to my melee classes and the SP drain is just too high... Am I doing something wrong? Any tips for that class? I invariably run out of SP fast. My character is level 22 I think. Finding it easier to just equip a sword instead!

The wizard's a great class, but SP is definitely an issue, especially early on. And I find the wizard isn't a good class for someone dabbling in multiple lives due to the stats. My second character I played wizard from the beginning and just did Wizard and Alchemist until finishing the DLC at which point I branched out. For that character, I also grabbed the Mysterious set when I hit 20 and could use it which makes it very powerful.

For someone that doesn't mind focusing primarily on being a Wizard, it works fine since you can pile on the INT. If someone wants to do woodcutting/mining and craft their armor and weapons, though, Mercenary or Paladin are best.

My first character had completely balanced stats and made it through fine, but making use of that synergy definitely makes for a better experience, I think.

Ollie Pooch

The wizard's a great class, but SP is definitely an issue, especially early on. And I find the wizard isn't a good class for someone dabbling in multiple lives due to the stats. My second character I played wizard from the beginning and just did Wizard and Alchemist until finishing the DLC at which point I branched out. For that character, I also grabbed the Mysterious set when I hit 20 and could use it which makes it very powerful.

For someone that doesn't mind focusing primarily on being a Wizard, it works fine since you can pile on the INT. If someone wants to do woodcutting/mining and craft their armor and weapons, though, Mercenary or Paladin are best.

My first character had completely balanced stats and made it through fine, but making use of that synergy definitely makes for a better experience, I think.
Great, thanks - nice to know its not just something I was doing (too) wrong! I figured it would have something to do with not boosting up my INT quite enough - my charge attacks are pretty strong but yeah they're just draining my SP hard. I am focusing on mining quite a bit so probably best to stick with that for now along with my melee classes.

Great, thanks - nice to know its not just something I was doing (too) wrong! I figured it would have something to do with not boosting up my INT quite enough - my charge attacks are pretty strong but yeah they're just draining my SP hard. I am focusing on mining quite a bit so probably best to stick with that for now along with my melee classes.
If you still want to focus on the Wizard class, you can always supplement the earlier game with the Mysterious Costume set. It boosts your magic power quite a bit and you get it from the post office for free by entering a password. It helped me a lot with the early Wizard boss challenges since I play all of the Life classes.

Here's the password...
Alakazam (North America)
Abracadabra (PAL)

Ollie Pooch

If you still want to focus on the Wizard class, you can always supplement the earlier game with the Mysterious Costume set. It boosts your magic power quite a bit and you get it from the post office for free by entering a password. It helped me a lot with the early Wizard boss challenges since I play all of the Life classes.

Here's the password...
Alakazam (North America)
Abracadabra (PAL)
Awesome, thanks! Yeah, quite enjoying some of the charge attacks like the lightning etc :p I switched to hunter for a bit as just wanted to mess around with an SP-free ranged attacker. Will try out that password.

Flintty

I picked this up yesterday (my first 3DS game!) and it's utterly charming!

I'm only 2-3 hours in but I love it. The music, style and 3D implementation are so good, I especially love the 3D cinematics.

I started as a Merc and then a miner - I can see myself sinking a lot of hours into this game. It will be even better if one of my kids get a copy (they've been drooling over my shoulder).

Side quests will be the death of my completionist self!

Is it even known how many there are altogether?
Did anybody manage to do all them all?
Is there any indication when you've done them all?

I've finished the Origin Island story so just cleaning up before I begin climbing the tower, but I'm still overwhelmed even at this late stage of the game how much there is to do.

xxczx

Side quests will be the death of my completionist self!

Is it even known how many there are altogether?
Did anybody manage to do all them all?
Is there any indication when you've done them all?

I've finished the Origin Island story so just cleaning up before I begin climbing the tower, but I'm still overwhelmed even at this late stage of the game how much there is to do.
I do not know the actual number but at the top of my head, it's around 300.

http://fantasy-life.wikia.com/wiki/Other_Requests
This is the best bet to try and complete them all, the game doesn't give you anything for completing them though, I think.

Dinjoralo

Wow, the birds and friendship system were added by the expansion pack? Dang, I had no idea.
I started with Alchemy and Wizardry. I also do Blacksmithing and Mining, but that's mostly just to make Dosh.

Linius

The Fantasy Life Wikia got updated a lot I must say. When I was playing this game there wasn't that much valuable info on it. And an English version of the guidebook is something we never got. Booh!

xxczx

Just in case people don't know about this site: http://reveriaexplorer.com/
It is amazing and extremely helpful, while Wiki will go a little more in depth about items, skills, monsters, ReveriaExplorer just gets the job done.

Gatherer is my go to when doing crafting lives. Tell it where you are in the game so far, what you want to do (like do all of the Master Blacksmithing quests) and it will tell you what you need and where to get it.

Fusebox

Banned
Guys I just got the big
floatstone and put it into Celestias old ship ready to go to Lunares
and my backlog is screaming at me. How much longer have I got to go if I rush through it?

Kinvara

Guys I just got the big
floatstone and put it into Celestias old ship ready to go to Lunares
and my backlog is screaming at me. How much longer have I got to go if I rush through it?

Almost done.

Once you fly the ship to the moon, the ending scene plays and the credits roll.

Fusebox

Banned
Ahaha, guess I should have just been a bit more patient. I do love this game but it's all just a bit too Care Bears in the story. If they made it just a smidge darker I think it'd hold me better.

addyb

Getting the new XL next month and although I already own an XL this game totally bypassed me as I've not really been gaming on my 3DS at all over the past few months. It sounds excellent though. Now do I buy now or wait until the new XL hits?

yayaba

Getting the new XL next month and although I already own an XL this game totally bypassed me as I've not really been gaming on my 3DS at all over the past few months. It sounds excellent though. Now do I buy now or wait until the new XL hits?

Doesn't really make any difference. If your backlog is under control I would say go ahead and play it now.

Dinjoralo

Just in case people don't know about this site: http://reveriaexplorer.com/
It is amazing and extremely helpful, while Wiki will go a little more in depth about items, skills, monsters, ReveriaExplorer just gets the job done.

Gatherer is my go to when doing crafting lives. Tell it where you are in the game so far, what you want to do (like do all of the Master Blacksmithing quests) and it will tell you what you need and where to get it.

Thank you so, so much! This will be really helpful for finding things I've been looking around for. I say we have this posted in the OP.

Fusebox

Banned
Finished! Well the main story at least. Still got a metric shit-tonne of content left to do if I feel like it, and I may come back to it one day but for now I'm happy with what I played.

Awesome game, if it had a genuine threat, bad guy and some more challenging combat it could be a seriously huge franchise.

Top Bottom