• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FAST RMX |OT| Gotta Go FAST

It's weird, because the earlier tracks are actually harder but wind up being easier because the AI just wrecks more. Get on a long track with straight sections that's easy and you better have a decent line and be always boosting or you're screwed and even then, embarrassing rubber banding.

Should have just done a bunch of play testing, recorded people's times, where they wrecked and why and adjusted the AI and tracks accordingly. Probably not possible with such a small team though.

PetrCobra

Does this game have a bug in result times? I just finished a cup with a time a little worse than before but had "NEW BEST TIME" listed in the results at all three tracks and also the total showed a green minus something.

I'm also getting really frustrated with this game.
No matter the difficulty setting, the first half of the cups is really easy and for the latter half it seems you have to get really lucky with the cheating AI to place first.

This makes it quite boring, because I feel I have no influence on the outcome of the race. I'm hoping for a patch, but as it is, I regret my purchase.

No matter the difficulty setting, the first half of the cups is really easy and for the latter half it seems you have to get really lucky with the cheating AI to place first.

This makes it quite boring, because I feel I have no influence on the outcome of the race. I'm hoping for a patch, but as it is, I regret my purchase.

I'm sorry but at least for Subsonic and Supersonic this is simply not true. The key point is to learn when and where to use your boost and picking the right car. You can't just keep boosting all the time because then you're gonna lose to the AI. For instance, there is a track with some extended puddles that slow you down ever so slightly. There's a bunch of orbs right before the puddle sections but if you boost right then and there you will have used up the boost before you reach the puddles. The AI will overtake you because it's using the boost at the right spot. There's many examples just like that. Also, try so have some boost to spare just in case you get hit and spin out or crash on track.

Even if you have figured out the ideal line on each track you still have to study the tracks in detail and improve your boost management. Once you got that down, it might still take a few tries to win a cup but it's nowhere as frustrating as you make it sound.

JoeFu

Banned
Funny thing is, I was struggling to fix a few 2nd place finishes in subsonic. But the next "difficulty level" (really just goes faster) seems way easier to me. Like I don't have to play nearly as perfectly to hold a lead. I wonder if anyone else will find that to be true.

I have had the same experience. I'm finding subsonic to be harder than hypersonic lol

EDarkness

I'm kinda feeling the same way. At least with other racing games, they're tough, but I feel like I can still eek out a win with great play. In this game, no matter what happens I always have to work extremely hard just to get 3rd or 4th place. It's frustrating and making me not want to play the game at all. I think I've managed to even place in only half of the races in the beginning difficulty. Cars just blow by me even if they're far away on the map and it just sucks my desire to keep playing. The same thing happens in the Wii U game and I purchased this game under the impression that this had been fixed. Unfortunately it hasn't. I'm just not having any fun. I hope that Redout is much better because I'm done with this unless they fix this AI and shitty rubberbanding and cheating.

JoeFu

Banned
I think it's more that once you know the tracks really well, the game becomes easier, no matter the speed.

Not really. I can go back to subsonic after playing hyper and it still feels cheap. It just seems subsonic is broken compared to others.

PetrCobra

I think it's more that once you know the tracks really well, the game becomes easier, no matter the speed.

Right. And the faster you go, the less significant the bumps into the sides of tracks I think. It slows you down but not as much it seems. Also, in subsonic if you crash you actually improve your position. I don't know how many times I saw a computer die only to appear before me seconds later. Happened to me quite a few times as well. But in faster leagues, if you crash you actually fall behind so if you already know the tracks and don't crash as much it will become easier for you.

I'm not even sure there really is rubberbanding. I think the opponents just use their boosts in the right places. I may be wrong, but when I am driving perfectly and use my boosts wisely there is no problem.

AI seems fine to me, it's more about questionable track design. I swear, I can not crash less than twice on Antartica (the F-Zero inspired level where you travel on the tube), good luck clearing this in Hero Mode. There's a few other stinkers in there as well.

Edit: The game still feels way easier than FAST Racing Neo on Wii U.

I'm sorry but at least for Subsonic and Supersonic this is simply not true. The key point is to learn when and where to use your boost and picking the right car. You can't just keep boosting all the time because then you're gonna lose to the AI. For instance, there is a track with some extended puddles that slow you down ever so slightly. There's a bunch of orbs right before the puddle sections but if you boost right then and there you will have used up the boost before you reach the puddles. The AI will overtake you because it's using the boost at the right spot. There's many examples just like that. Also, try so have some boost to spare just in case you get hit and spin out or crash on track.

Even if you have figured out the ideal line on each track you still have to study the tracks in detail and improve your boost management. Once you got that down, it might still take a few tries to win a cup but it's nowhere as frustrating as you make it sound.

Can't agree with this. By now I have a good idea on when and where to boost (boost through puddles, jumps, long stretches of no boost strips) and I often feel that I am still at mercy of the AI. Maybe it is true that one can reach a level of play where the AI can't keep up, but even if so, the steep climb in perceived AI cheating between the first half and the second half of the cups doesn't encourage me at all to try further.
Add to that the mind boggling mechanic where opponents behind you crash and are spawned way ahead of you, and you have a perfectly frustrating experience.

For some odd reason I play the game like F-Zero GX and just go by instincts.
Only using the the first vehicle (cebra) and just going hard.
So far just need the chromium and platinum on hypersonic with the rest getting first place done.
I feel like the difficulty goes up by cup and not speed so the final cups are the hardest for all 3 speeds.
I also don't feel like you need perfect driving to make it all work, honestly I am using rails to bank perfectly, boosting like a mad man.
Also I found controls being better than I first thought, mixing the leans, taping the breaks, and letting go of acceleration gives me a lot more control than I expected (doing some damn sharp turns because of this :D ).

Par Score

I'm not even sure there really is rubberbanding. I think the opponents just use their boosts in the right places. I may be wrong, but when I am driving perfectly and use my boosts wisely there is no problem.

There is an insane level of rubber banding.

If you chill in 2nd or third for the whole race, you can simply boost by 1st and second at the end of the third lap and win with a shit time.

If you race absolutely flat out and go for your best times, leading for 3/4 of the race, you will get beaten into 3rd of the last corner with a time 10s of seconds faster than your "winning" time from before.

MrPanic

From my experience from getting 1st in every cup in every class, the higher speeds are definitely easier to beat than lower ones. Opponents seem to crash a bit more often, and the faster speed makes it pretty easy to deny the bots their boost orbs. I pretty much finished everything in hypersonic in 1st first try but getting 1st in subsonic definitely took a few tries.

Rodin

There is an insane level of rubber banding.

If you chill in 2nd or third for the whole race, you can simply boost by 1st and second at the end of the third lap and win with a shit time.

If you race absolutely flat out and go for your best times, leading for 3/4 of the race, you will get beaten into 3rd of the last corner with a time 10s of seconds faster than your "winning" time from before.
What the... i'm pretty sure i read that they fixed this shit compared to the wii u version?

Still going to pick it up but jesus...

MrPanic

I don't think they're actually rubberbanding. The AI just really heavily relies on boost orbs, and the more places you're behind, the more boost you get from a single boost orb. That creates situations where the AI can slingshot past you if you miss a row of boost orbs yourself, which makes it seem like they're rubberbanding like crazy, but it's actually your own fault for not denying the boost orbs to the one behind you and boost orbs being in favor of players behind you in general. I can always reliably keep first place by just never missing boost orbs.

Yeah I was having a lot of fun when I first started this game, but half-way through the novice cups it seems the AI has turned into bullshit and its stopped being fun. I'll have a near perfect race and make a tiny mistake (or seemly no mistake at all) and get blown by in the last half of the last lap. I guess I could try and game the system and stay back in second place, but that's not too fun either. I mean, the novice cups should be a nice, fun, leisurely time.

When I got the Switch on launch day, this was actually the game I was most excited to play. But it has been pretty disappointing.

NateDrake

I placed first in Subsonic without much issue. I just used my boost whenever it was full or when I knew orbs would be coming up to keep my boost meter at a good amount, and made sure I hit all the boost strips on a stage. I've found RMX much easier than NEO.

BNGames

I got my Switch yesterday in that last minute Amazon stock. Recorded my first cup, I really liked the original on the Wii U.

https://youtu.be/e48tDw-Wgmo

WsE4iFJl.jpg

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I was having a lot of fun when I first started this game, but half-way through the novice cups it seems the AI has turned into bullshit and its stopped being fun. I'll have a near perfect race and make a tiny mistake (or seemly no mistake at all) and get blown by in the last half of the last lap. I guess I could try and game the system and stay back in second place, but that's not too fun either. I mean, the novice cups should be a nice, fun, leisurely time.

When I got the Switch on launch day, this was actually the game I was most excited to play. But it has been pretty disappointing.
Exactly my thoughts too. Had fun at first but got absolutely demolished by the end of the first speed class. Haven't played it since.

T-0800

Amazing to think about 5 people made this game. I finished it on Wii U the day and found the credits amusing considering the hundreds of names you usually see.

I'd love them to do a game like Daytona. Something like 90s racer was/is going for.

PetrCobra

Had another strange bug. In the Argon cup on Hypersonic, Kamagori City vas coming up as the next race over and over again. In the end I had to quit, with over 80 points sitting conveniently on the 1st place...

J@hranimo

Banned
I just unlocked the Hypersonic cup yesterday. Supersonic felt pretty damn fast, so I'm Hypersonic is gonna feel nuts.

Love this game, probably won't get MK8D anytime soon after this releases because I want to put more into this game.

DavidDesu

Enjoyed the game until I got to the one random track where you're supposed to use the brake A LOT and hope you get lucky when making a couple of jumps where I pretty much crash every lap. Why does THAT track exist, the one where it doesn't have barriers for most of it?! It's just not fun and completely at odds with the rest of the game's tracks. Ridiculously difficult even just to make a lap with crashing 2 or 3 times.

Enjoyed the game until I got to the one random track where you're supposed to use the brake A LOT and hope you get lucky when making a couple of jumps where I pretty much crash every lap. Why does THAT track exist, the one where it doesn't have barriers for most of it?! It's just not fun and completely at odds with the rest of the game's tracks. Ridiculously difficult even just to make a lap with crashing 2 or 3 times.
I'm curious what is the name of this track?

Glass Joe

In my experience, it's not so much that the harder difficulties have harder AI, it's just the last couple of cups regardless of difficulty have tough AI. I was surprised to do well in the next difficulty when that last cup on easy had my number for so long.

In my experience, it's not so much that the harder difficulties have harder AI, it's just the last couple of cups regardless of difficulty have tough AI. I was surprised to do well in the next difficulty when that last cup on easy had my number for so long.

This has been my experience as well.

I hope that friends online update happens soon.

ZAMtendo

Obliterating everything that's not your friend
So every time I get a Switch owning friend to play splitscreen with me, they want to buy the game. But it's when I have to tell them you can tell yet play with friends online, they decide not to buy it. Such a shame. Shi'nen - hurry and release the patch please! Once Mario Kart arrives in just over a month it might be too late.

NateDrake

So every time I get a Switch owning friend to play splitscreen with me, they want to buy the game. But it's when I have to tell them you can tell yet play with friends online, they decide not to buy it. Such a shame. Shi'nen - hurry and release the patch please! Once Mario Kart arrives in just over a month it might be too late.

It's going to be soon. Wouldn't be surprised to see it by the first week of April.

-shadow-

Recently replayed the game on the WiiU and got frustrated with the ridiculerubber banding, thought I'd ask if that has improved in RMX. Well this page gave me zero hope in it being tweaked.

BizzyBum

The game is fun but the cheating AI in the later cups just ruin the game. It doesn't even feel like I'm improving to beat them, no matter what I do they stay ahead or catch up immediately out of nowhere. This is all in the novice bracket, too. I don't even want to think about how rage inducing advanced and expert would be.

Is it just me, or did they tweak the controls? The machines are a lot easier to control in RMX vs Neo.

Tried my first online match, that was intense

Video: https://youtu.be/F6PbgXlGUiE

dGoXoIyl.jpg

You know you have limited flight controls when in the air. You can push forward or pull back on the stick as well as steer left and right. You can also use boost while doing this to get back over the track if you're still high enough.

The game is fun but the cheating AI in the later cups just ruin the game. It doesn't even feel like I'm improving to beat them, no matter what I do they stay ahead or catch up immediately out of nowhere. This is all in the novice bracket, too. I don't even want to think about how rage inducing advanced and expert would be.
Hmm nothing really change in the advanced or expert mode aside the speed and AI isn't cheating at all, it's just they are using their boost strategically, so If you know where in the track AI will use their boost it becomes really easy to anticipate that. I think the Hero mode teachs very well how to deal with AI because there is no mercy in this mode.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
F-Zero GX was way harder for me, in Fast RMX I didn't have to spend more than 7-10 tries to beat each cup.

F-Zero GX was way harder for me, in Fast RMX I didn't have to spend more than 7-10 tries to beat each cup.

Yup the same, that's why it's funny when I saw a lot of people wanted a new f-zero and can't handle this game and quits reaching half of the novice cups... They should try again f-zero GX and see how difficult this game was.

Indeed, GX is one of the hardest games I've played, but stuck with that shizzle and got Master on everything! F-Zero GX is my personal best racer ever. Fast RMX though is a really really good racer. It's fast, slick, controls well, got tons of content and looks stunning. Shin-En should be commended as they've created one of the best futuristic racers ever.

Minsc

Gold Member
Hmm nothing really change in the advanced or expert mode aside the speed and AI isn't cheating at all, it's just they are using their boost strategically, so If you know where in the track AI will use their boost it becomes really easy to anticipate that. I think the Hero mode teachs very well how to deal with AI because there is no mercy in this mode.

The AI absolutely cheats. Multiple people including myself have seen it, huge leads instantly disappearing from nowhere, AI boosting when it misses all boost power ups, etc. Rubber banding is cheating don't forget, there is no doubt that is happening, AI times are almost always within a few seconds of my own time, no matter how good or bad I race a track. Show me a screen shot with people beating the AI by over 30-60 seconds on a track and I'll change my mind, but for now I don't buy it.

Top Bottom