• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FAST RMX / Shovel Knight for Switch launch, no VC at release

Stop making excuses for them. VC is a core feature of Nintendo consoles and while it's not surprising it is disappointing that this console is launching with so little in the way of games and services. Just because launches are typically bad doesn't mean we can't be critical.

Okay, well you've very clearly missed me saying that VC is pretty much universally shit on all Nintendo platforms. So I'm far from making excuses.

So sure, the service that struggles to release games at a decent rate is a core feature of Nintendo consoles, and not some joked-about side feature that they never got right in the first place.

Oh wait

Go read my previous post. Internet browser is a HUGELY idiotic thing to skip launch, streaming apps less so but still kinda bad, and VC is pretty much a non issue (for the reasons I've repeated over and over, and also considering the service will likely launch soon to much fanfare and hopefully in a serviceable state).

I'll push back pretty hard against the idea that any of these things are integral to a Nintendo platform, however. Ironically, the most important one is the browser, and that's the simplest one.

Jafku

at launch I will be grabbing Zelda and Shovel Knight. Grabbed a $50 eshop card yesterday with the BIGTHANKS promo from Amazon

Petrae

E3 sounds like a good time to reveal VC details, with a launch during the show. No later than by the time that Switch Online goes pay-for-play.

JavyOO7

Swing and a miss not having VC at launch. I'm hoping all the titles currently available under Wii U (and the stuff that never arrived from Wii VC) makes it to Switch VC...

Other games at launch is great news, though I already own/haven't played Fast Racing Neo & Shovel Knight. Regarding the VC, I just hope I don't have to wait "years" for them to re-release Link to the Past and Mario World.

I am honestly at a loss for how bare-bones and incomplete this launch feels coming off of the Wii U's failure. I expected them to come out swinging with multiple first party launch titles from their popular franchises, a working online service and a well-stocked VC. Might be waiting awhile for satisfaction.

I imagine the Virtual Console will go live at the same time they start the paid online scheme. Roll them out at the same time and make a big deal about getting a 'free' game every month with your subscription.

Wow, Fast RMX and Shovel Knight on launch day is just icing on the cake!

I loved Fast Racing Neo on the Wii U and this will be an instabuy for me. I've honestly never played Shovel Knight and now have a reason do so as well.

Petrae

I imagine the Virtual Console will go live at the same time they start the paid online scheme. Roll them out at the same time and make a big deal about getting a 'free' game every month with your subscription.

That would certainly give Nintendo plenty of time to work out how it's going to pull off VC and how-- if at all-- VC titles bought on 3DS/WiiU will carry over.

T.O.P

Banned
This means that it will launch with a GameCube VC right?

But seriously, it's a Zelda machine for me, nothing else sigh

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Business decision. Between Switch console, accessories, Zelda and 1-2 Switch they need to have some of their partners benefiting from the launch as well.

The 30-60 bucks in addition to Zelda+Switch are better invested in making Indies happy instead of the 10th Super Mario World purchase.

It also suggest that the VC title on Switch might have more improvement and additions besides the online play. Interested to see what they will offer.

Just glad that FAST remix will have some time to shine before MK8D hits... Shinen deserves more lovenfor how fast they got their shit running on Switch.

Megatron

No vc at launch. Two reviewers mention problems with left joycon disconnecting. My switch pre order is in serious jeopardy.

At this point, a week out from launch and zero info I had already given up on VC being there day 1.

Still disappointed though. :(

I love Shovel Knight but I'll wait and see if they do a physical release in the future, already own it multiple times over on Wii U/3DS.

What the heck is happening with Binding of Isaac? Did we ever get any official confirmation that the release date had slipped a few weeks for the physical one? What about digital?

At this point, a week out from launch and zero info I had already given up on VC being there day 1.

Still disappointed though. :(

I love Shovel Knight but I'll wait and see if they do a physical release in the future, already own it multiple times over on Wii U/3DS.

What the heck is happening with Binding of Isaac? Did we ever get any official confirmation that the release date had slipped a few weeks for the physical one? What about digital?

http://bindingofisaac.com/post/157494348814/whats-in-the-box2-take-2

Confirmed the 17th, but a cool new instruction book for physical. The fact that I'll have Fast Racing and Shovel Knight makes this okay.

Cleve

On the subject of digital games, I have a bunch of gamestop credit, do we know if e-shop gift cards will be redeemable on the store used on switch for sure?

-edit- WHOOPS! Guess I should read the thread further next time.

DonShula

I am not reading this as saying Snipperclips won't make launch.

Very disappointed regarding lack of VC. I would have purchased several NES/SNES titles. I'm sure the delay is related to Nintendo wanting to push new titles and hold VC revenue until next fiscal year for dry times between physical releases.

Am I dreaming or did I read that shovel knight if purchased on Wii U or 3ds we get it free on Switch or DLC free? What was that or am I completely wrong?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
SnipperClips was always a March title not launch. So I would assume it will be out 2 weeks or so after launch.

timberger

Well, nice of them to finally let us know I guess :/

Not too bothered though as I won't be buying Switch until Mario comes out, so presumably VC should be there by then.

I just better not be expected to pay anything to access all the Wii U VC titles I bought on it is all I'll say. Now there's an actual account system in place there's room for no more excuses on this score.

Lgndryhr

I don't mind VC not at launch. I get this is a soft(ish) launch and makes sense to me.

I am curious about Fast RMX pricing. How it compares to RedOut too.

bridegur

I don't know why they struggle so much with VC. It could be reason enough to buy a console, but they've screwed it up every time.

So long as they're hard at working erasing the dark filter and following the emulation lead of the NES Classic Mini, I guess I'm okay with this.

Hermii

I don't know why they struggle so much with VC. It could be reason enough to buy a console, but they've screwed it up every time.
I have some hope they won't screw it up this time. My reasons are:

1. NES mini.
2. Leaks that NERD is working on it (creators of nes mini).
3. Because of a brand new architecture and development environment they will probably have to make a new one from scratch instead of adapting their old one.

I guess if they had given me the option for Zelda and Switch next week or wait more months and months and it'll then launch with some VC game I have to rebuy again.... as much as I love old Nintendo stuff I'd say no thanks give me the console and Zelda ASAP.

It's disappointing they can't seem to sort their shit enough to have this thing ready 3 systems in a row now but ah well. I do really think they do a terrible job at hitting that nostalgia market like they could be, look at the NES Mini - they should be pushing their treasure trove of old stuff more.

I have some hope they won't screw it up this time. My reasons are:

1. NES mini.
2. Leaks that NERD is working on it (creators of nes mini).
3. Because of a brand new architecture and development environment they will probably have to make a new one from scratch instead of adapting their old one.

I didn't hear this... but that's amazing. They did such a good job with the NES Mini. Like... so good.

Not sure if this was mentioned in the thread, and I know it's something minor, but this from the OP is at least another positive sign of progress from Nintendo:
To access Nintendo eShop, a system update that will be available on launch day is required. The system update downloads in the background, is designed to install quickly and doesn't disrupt gameplay.
Way different from the Wii U launch that had big mandatory updates that did disrupt gameplay.

Ouroboros

No VS at launch is fine. I'm hoping Nintendo is trying to figure out linking old VC purchases to the Switch (hah!). OR GC added to the catalog (double hah!)

Like many soon to be Switch owners, I'll be playing Zelda exclusively which will take me probably a month to complete. I'll be picking up Bomberman, Isaac, and now Shovel Knight Treasure Trove whatever edition in the first few weeks of launch.

Phoenixus

I'm fine with a delay of VC stuff if it means they can get Sega back in the fold. No Mega Drive or Master System was a huge hole in the Wii U VC.

Top Bottom