• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FAST RMX / Shovel Knight for Switch launch, no VC at release

What a bummer. Wii Virtual Console was a great thing to round out launch. Being able to play Super Mario 64 at higher resolution, being able to play NES games with wireless sideways wiimotes.

For as much as we've heard Switch being easy to port things to, I guess they accidentally made it really hard to port an NES emulator to.
Also how does everyone saying "omg can't believe how incompetent such a basic feature" feel about the fact that this is pretty much standard for console launches?
I feel... every launch since Wii's has been worse than Wii's?

Carlisle

Just Specter of Torment is $10. Treasure Trove is $25 and includes everything that has been released thus far, Including Specter of Torment (and the upcoming King Knight campaign).

Source: http://yachtclubgames.com/2017/02/specter-of-torment-and-treasure-trove-initial-release-date/

Sweet! But if I already have the SK on Wii U, I get all those expansions and future content free on that right?

I was trying to justify a double dip on Switch since I'm more likely to play more often on that than Wii U, but $25 for all the same stuff isn't as convincing if those expansions are free updates for Wii U. At first I thought Specter was a $10 update to the base game, and then King would be the same, at which point just doing $25 for TT on Switch would be much more easily justified. But they're free updates OR $10 standalone, right?

Sweet! But if I already have the SK on Wii U, I get all those expansions and future content free on that right?

I was trying to justify a double dip on Switch since I'm more likely to play more often on that than Wii U, but $25 for all the same stuff isn't as convincing if those expansions are free updates for Wii U. At first I thought Specter was a $10 update to the base game, and then King would be the same, at which point just doing $25 for TT on Switch would be much more easily justified. But they're free updates OR $10 standalone, right?

Yes, free updates or standalone.

The good (or bad?) news is that you'll get Specter of Torment and the King Knight campaign on the Wii U version you already own for free. Makes the double dip a little harder to justify.

Oregano

I'm now definitely getting at least four games at Switch launch which is actually more than I got for the 3DS or Wii U...

Carlisle

The good (or bad?) news is that you'll get Specter of Torment and the King Knight campaign on the Wii U version you already own for free. Makes the double dip a little harder to justify.

Thanks for the clarification. Gotta do some more mental gymnastics to justify it then lol.

Edit:
And good on YachtClub. It's a nice "problem" to have.

Thanks for the clarification. Gotta do some more mental gymnastics to justify it then lol.

Edit:
And good on YachtClub. It's a nice "problem" to have.

My main justification is 2 player co-op on the go. People are complaining about platforming with a joystick but I really don't care.

Carlisle

My main justification is 2 player co-op on the go. People are complaining about platforming with a joystick but I really don't care.

Hmm, a valid point... and not to mention SP on the go! Wii U only lets me get so far from the TV. And the cross-save feature makes it even more appealing, something I just learned about.

And yeah, Super Meat Boy was excellent with analog. Ain't nothing wrong with it.

I'm now definitely getting at least four games at Switch launch which is actually more than I got for the 3DS or Wii U...

It's more for Wii U than Switch in my case. I didn't get a 3DS at launch, but I got a 3DS as a gift with Super Mario 3D Land, Ocarina of Time 3D and, shortly after, there was Tales of the Abyss 3D, Star Fox 64 3D and Kid Icarus: Uprising that I got between me and my brother having a 3DS each.

Wii U
Nintendo Land (pack-in)
New Super Mario Bros. U
Darksiders 2
Scribblenauts Unlimited
Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed
Little Inferno
Mighty Switch Force: HyperDrive Edition

Switch
Breath of the Wild
Super Bomberman R
Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove
World of Goo

Issac was delayed, but I would have added that if it was still launch since I got it preordered with Bomberman and Puyo Puyo Tetris. I am Setsuna and Fast Racing RMX are possibilities for me, but I'm still debating on getting them at launch or not. I'll probably make up my mind on launch day.

Oregano

It's more for Wii U than Switch in my case. I didn't get a 3DS at launch, but I got a 3DS as a gift with Super Mario 3D Land, Ocarina of Time 3D and, shortly after, there was Tales of the Abyss 3D, Star Fox 64 3D and Kid Icarus: Uprising that I got between me and my brother having a 3DS each.

Wii U
Nintendo Land (pack-in)
New Super Mario Bros. U
Darksiders 2
Scribblenauts Unlimited
Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed
Little Inferno
Mighty Switch Force: HyperDrive Edition

Switch
Breath of the Wild
Super Bomberman R
Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove
World of Goo

Issac was delayed, but I would have added that if it was still launch since I got it preordered with Bomberman and Puyo Puyo Tetris. I am Setsuna and Fast Racing RMX are possibilities for me, but I'm still debating on getting them at launch or not. I'll probably make up my mind on launch day.

I'm getting Zelda, Bomberman, I Am Setsuna and FAST so far. Day 1 on 3DS I got Ghost Recon, Pilotwings and Samurai Warriors. Day 1 on Wii U I got Zombi U, NMSB U and Nintendoland but I did end up getting Tekken and Nano Assault Neo after launch too.

I'm getting Zelda, Bomberman, I Am Setsuna and FAST so far. Day 1 on 3DS I got Ghost Recon, Pilotwings and Samurai Warriors. Day 1 on Wii U I got Zombi U, NMSB U and Nintendoland but I did end up getting Tekken and Nano Assault Neo after launch too.

You mentioning Ghost Recon reminds me I need to get that. Yeah, I ended up getting Nano Assault Neo and my brother got ZombiU later after launch. I still kinda want to get Tekken at some point and I probably will. I got Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition later when it was really cheap, because I think that was a launch game.

dickroach

no VC at launch? huh. they must have been developing too many games to have time for that.

disregarding the Wii U Zelda game that's been in development for over half a decade, and the Wii U Mario Kart port, there are FOUR Nintendo games coming out for the Switch this year. wtf are they doing

Oregano

You mentioning Ghost Recon reminds me I need to get that. Yeah, I ended up getting Nano Assault Neo and my brother got ZombiU later after launch. I still kinda want to get Tekken at some point and I probably will. I got Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition later when it was really cheap, because I think that was a launch game.

Oh actually I ended up getting Street Fighter later on as well! It was indeed a 3DS launch game!

no VC at launch? huh. they must have been developing too many games to have time for that.

disregarding the Wii U Zelda game that's been in development for over half a decade, and the Wii U Mario Kart port, there are FOUR Nintendo games coming out for the Switch this year. wtf are they doing

Do you think Nintendo is done announcing games?

Neoweee

No VC at launch or clarity about account options is an astonishing fuckup on Nintendo's behalf. I can understand not having software or features ready for lunch, but basic account stuff and interaction with people's existing accounts is some fundamental aspects of the product. I've assumed the worst from Nintendo & online from the start, but this has already failed to meet my low expectations.

There's almost certainly more games coming out before the end of the year that are to be announced.

The Wii U Zelda game would have been out two years ago as a much smaller game if it was getting sent to die on the failed Wii U. I don't think it is fair to dismiss it as just a port of a Wii U game.

Not even a couple Virtual Console games for launch? Unbelievable.

Plenty of attention to Parental Controls and the Parental Controls app, yet there's simply no way they can possibly launch even a thin VC for day one...

The Hermit

Wait a minute. I have this game for WiiU, but never bothered with the DLC.

I can have them for free?

13ruce

Banned
Breath of the Wild, i am satsuna and Shovel Knight Treasure Trove it is. Hopefully hollow knight releases 1-2 weeks later max i really want to play that one in march!

Wait a minute. I have this game for WiiU, but never bothered with the DLC.

I can have them for free?

Yes. Treasure Trove is a software refresh that's 10 dollars more expensive to make money on all the free content it's had over the years. All original copies made before the refresh are still entitled to free expansions.

Also I'd say Fast RMX is $25.

My launch is looking really good.

Breath of the Wild
Fast RMX
Shovel Knight Treasure Trove
I am Setsuna.

I could probably wait on Setsuna a bit. It's a well rounded launch.

Reporters / leakers did say something to the effect that people hoping for VC on the Switch "would be disappointed" in the past, and Nintendo has been egregiously quiet about VC up to this point, so whatever. Anyone aware of the above could see this coming a mile away. That's Nintendo's loss for not having yet another feature ready for the Switch from day one.

With that said, I'm surprised they've only managed to scrap together three indie games for the system's launch. People who expressed concern about lacking major western third-party were given the retort that indies would fill the gap...you'd think Nintendo would be able to have the number indie games available from the start crack double digits if that was the case....

Reporters / leakers did say something to the effect that people hoping for VC on the Switch "would be disappointed" in the past, and Nintendo has been egregiously quiet about VC up to this point, so whatever. Anyone aware of the above could see this coming a mile away. That's Nintendo's loss for not having yet another feature ready for the Switch from day one.

With that said, I'm surprised they've only managed to scrap together three indie games for the system's launch. People who expressed concern about lacking major western third-party were given the retort that indies would fill the gap...you'd think Nintendo would be able to have the number indie games available from the start crack double digits if that was the case....

Not excusing or denying, but shouldmt we see what the Indie direct is like first? I imagine most indies would know it would be hard to overcome the money mulost people will spend on the hardware +Zelda.

Not excusing or denying, but shouldmt we see what the Indie direct is like first? I imagine most indies would know it would be hard to overcome the money mulost people will spend on the hardware +Zelda.

The indie direct will likely have more games, but if this statement in the OP is anything to go by, the majority of them are going to be released later during the launch period. My post is specifically focusing on the number of indie games available from launch day, rather than the launch period in general.

1) These are not the only indie games available at launch.

2) Number of Switch games confirmed for March 2017: 15
Number of PS4 games released in November 2013: 21

People need to stop acting like Switch has some historically poor launch lineup. Really, all it is is a non-AAA launch lineup, which is in line with most historical console launches.

It's also launching with more games than the majority of Nintendo platforms.

AkumaNiko

No VC games on the switch is a dealbreaker for me actually

im probably going to cancel my pre order and stick with my other wii u for zelda. Thank God i did not sell that one yet.

1) These are not the only indie games available at launch.

2) Number of Switch games confirmed for March 2017: 15
Number of PS4 games released in November 2013: 21

You're misreading or misquoting me. I did clarify in the following sentence in that post, and to obijkenobi's reply, that I wasn't referring to the number of indie games available during the general launch period, I was specifically focusing on the number of indie games available at launch day.

People need to stop acting like Switch has some historically poor launch lineup. Really, all it is is a non-AAA launch lineup, which is in line with most historical console launches.

It's also launching with more games than the majority of Nintendo platforms.

Pointing to other console launch lineups being poor isn't what I would consider a sound defense for how the Switch lineup fairs. If launch lineups were done badly with other system launches (let alone past Nintendo platform launches), Nintendo repeating them with the Switch doesn't make it better.

No VC games on the switch is a dealbreaker for me actually

im probably going to cancel my pre order and stick with my other wii u for zelda. Thank God i did not sell that one yet.

what are the chances of you playing switch VC games on launch window if you can do that on your wii u?

Hermii

Source? I don't remember that.

Neoweee

No VC at launch!

Not at launch, and no details at launch. Why would anyone give Nintendo the benefit of the doubt, if VC is important to them?

Are they going to wait 6 months and do a big E3 reveal?

Once it is out, what are they going to do? Weekly releases of games that have been on Wii U and Wii for years, until they have their full library available? Or more like Vita/PS3 classics, where it mostly just comes at once?

They've fucked this up, and there's still a ton of ways for them to fuck it up more.

Zedark

Still inexcusable, i will have 1 game to play that im interested in until the next game comes out months later.

That's a perfectly reasonable reason not to buy a Switch yet, but it doesn't have a lot to do with VC I think: even if it were there, it would have been only 2 or 3 titles (these games don't come in dozens at a time), so odds are it wouldn't have helped you through your personal drought.

Source? I don't remember that.

Not referring to the launch lineup in general. Maybe I should go edit to make it more obvious.

EDIT: Unless you're referring to the VC rumor/report thing. I do remember seeing it in some of the Switch leak/rumor threads, but for the life of me I can't seem to find it. You're free to not take my word for it.

So In regards to the "Day 1 Update." That's likely to hit in the next few days, right? For these downloadable titles at launch is the store enabled so news outlets can use download codes? Or are they stuck reviewing after launch?

Bad news: No VC at launch--- yep, not having that sucks!

Good news: new indie announcements/ details for Switch! Yay!!

Am I being way too hopeful to think Yookah Laylee might be there?

Bad news: No VC at launch--- yep, not having that sucks!

Good news: new indie announcements/ details for Switch! Yay!!

Am I being way too hopeful to think Yookah Laylee might be there?

I think it would be silly not to at least mention it during the stream.

Reposting my question from the previous page:
So In regards to the "Day 1 Update." That's likely to hit in the next few days, right? For these downloadable titles at launch is the store enabled so news outlets can use download codes? Or are they stuck reviewing after launch?

Another question, what does the Shovel Knight Amiibo do on the Switch since co-op is built in?

Top Bottom