• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FAST RMX - The Nintendo Switch Game NO ONE is Talking About.

jwhit28

This would have been the easy "second game" to put next to Zelda for launch but according to Easy Allies, Shin'en were held back by Nintendo's online details not being fleshed out until late.

Dorygrant

I brought my non nintendo friend to the switch event a while back and he STILL asks me about this game. He is obsessed with it and he was casual gamer as all hell. Its funny as I didnt think much until I played it and it is a lot of fun and feels good to play.

prag16

Banned
I didn't really like Neo on Wii U. It looked great for a Wii U game no doubt. But maybe it's because I was hoping/expecting it to "feel" like F-Zero. But it "feels" nothing like any F-Zero game. The handling seems horrifyingly bad. "Get gud" is part of it but it just felt so horrible that I abandoned the game after only a few hours of play time. :(

I'm buying it day one, when it will have a release date because right now it a "March" release... but yeah, i'm exited and can't wait to play this everywhere !

I had my gripes with Neo, but the dlc tracks were so much better than the vanilla ones. If they fixed the rubberbanding Ai and cut down on the insta-death obstacles, this will be without a doubt be the best Fast racing they've delivered so far.

Will download whenever it's ready

I didn't really like Neo on Wii U. It looked great for a Wii U game no doubt. But maybe it's because I was hoping/expecting it to "feel" like F-Zero. But it "feels" nothing like any F-Zero game. The handling seems horrifyingly bad. "Get gud" is part of it but it just felt so horrible that I abandoned the game after only a few hours of play time. :(

Well I mean... It's not F-Zero after all. That alone doesn't mean it's a lesser game. That's like saying Rayman Origins is bad platformer because it doesn't play exactly like Mario.

DKL

To be honest, I kinda fall for the same trap in that a lot of games claim to be like F-Zero, but then it's not like F-Zero :\

Though I do agree with an above poster's sentiment that that doesn't inherently make it bad, but my expectations tho lol

EDIT:

That said, I don't have much experience with the studio outside of like 2 or 3 games, but my favorite seems to be Art of Balance.

When are we getting a new version of that :v

Listonosh

The mode where you need to change your racer to the correct colours to hit the gates, like guitar hero at 300mph sounds ace.

I think the fact that some people don't know this kind of speaks volumes about the Wii U, and also about how much more mass appeal the Switch seems to have already. FAST RMX, at least to my knowledge, is the same game like on the Wii U, except with a ton of new tracks and vehicles. So those interested in this game not having heard about Fast Racing Neo are already part of the crowd that either never had a Wii U or was never interested in one, and is now on board for the Switch.

fernoca

To be honest, I kinda fall for the same trap in that a lot of games claim to be like F-Zero, but then it's not like F-Zero :

Though I do agree with an above poster's sentiment that that doesn't inherently make it bad, but my expectations tho lol

EDIT:

That said, I don't have much experience with the studio outside of like 2 or 3 games, but my favorite seems to be Art of Balance.

When are we getting a new version of that :v
It is a trap that was created by the hype train. :p

Some of us were in Shine'n threads talking about how the Wii game was nothing like F-Zero...

Since the first game in Wii, FAST has been a futuristic racer with color mechanism ala Ikaruga.

Yet, every thread around Neo in Wii U had more people talking about "F-Zero finally... Nintendo should buy them...Nintendo should pay them to make F-Zero".

Game is more like Quantum Redshift on Xbox actually.

Seik

Banned
I talk about it.

FRN was a great game, I imported the European retail version to have it on disc...totally worth it! :D

I think it's.... probably the closest to the F-Zero game we'll never get...I didn't check Redout yet though.

Vitacat

Digital only, right? Meh.

I'll be buying this game, but every time I play it I'll feel a bit bitter about not having a new F-Zero from Nintendo.

d[-_-]b;230730069 said:
Man that video does not do the game justice

Here is a youtube video from IGN with the same map I presume.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuzSat4TTlU

The lights pop off the screen, it's beautiful.
Digital only, right? Meh.

I'll be buying this game, but every time I play it I'll feel a bit bitter about not having a new F-Zero from Nintendo.

I've got the physical eShop selects version on Wii U, I think only 2 games exist in the eShop Selects series so it'll almost certainly be continuing on Switch.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I had abandoned Wii U already, at the time their latest game came out. So 'm glad this is released in March, every console should launch with a racer.
I'm still mad Excite Truck is missing.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Are there any specific similar games with better tracks out? I'm not trying to argue or be a dick, I'm genuinely interested.
I remember there being tracks in other similar games that this game draws inspiration from. I'm not too familiar with this game though, so maybe this particular track isn't indicative of the majority of them.

Superfrog

I can't wait. Does anyone know if it's getting a retail release? I asked them on twitter but never got a response :X

Same here, no response. Keep pestering them about a physical release everybody!

I assume there will be a physical release later on, but I want a retail version on day 1 (which is not going to happen, otherwise we would have seen listings already). Switch obviously doesn't exactly have the biggest launch window lineup, so how Nintendo aren't distributing this physically - especially after the Wii U game was quite successful - is beyond me.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
why are the "vehicles" soo big? What is the infatuation with that? if they were ~50% as long and like ~20% thinner it wouldn't seem like such a wipeout clone.

marc^o^

I think RedOut would be the superior sci-fi racer, tbh.
With Redout and Mario Kart, that's 3 great racers in just 3 months :)

Fast Racing Neo got a 81 metacritic score, Fast RMX is likely to be a far better game. Most likely a technical showcase and that's enough for me to get it, at its "less than an AC adapter" price :)

I remember there being tracks in other similar games that this game draws inspiration from. I'm not too familiar with this game though, so maybe this particular track isn't indicative of the majority of them.

No worries. I wasn't sure if redout was a bit better or if there were some similar games out there that were worth trying.

i-Jest

If the series isn't getting a retail release in North America this time around then it's not worth talking about :p

i-Jest

But if it gets one in Europe again at least Switch is region free!

Nah bruh, that PEGI rating system throws me off hard. I need my consistency dammit! For real though, thank God region locked games is a thing of the past. Region lock DLC is the last of the old guard and I hope that doesn't carry into next generation.

i'm glad i skipped it on wii u so i can get the better version. also we're getting redout this year too so it's cool to have two f-zero likes just at "release", hopefully that will motivate nintendo :p

You should skip all games, eventually most games get a remaster.

Seriously you missed hours of fun by skipping it on WiiU and it looked already georgous there.

BooJoh

I have the Wii U version. It looks fantastic in motion and the switching mechanic isn't bad, but the tracks feel very boring in terms of turns and such, a necessity due to the game's poor handling. It feels closer to WipeOut than F-Zero. It's also tuned rather hard. I haven't finished the Novice league yet. Watch some videos of people playing at events and you'll see they spend a lot of time in the back of the pack.

This game will pull you in by looking like F-Zero, but if you go in expecting GX then prepare to be disappointed.

I'll probably pass on RMX unless it gets a really nice sale.

...also we're getting redout this year too so it's cool to have two f-zero likes just at "release", hopefully that will motivate nintendo :p

I am excited for Redout, but interested in Fast RMX. Wish we knew release dates for them.

...FRN was a great game, I imported the European retail version to have it on disc...totally worth it! :D I think it's.... probably the closest to the F-Zero game we'll never get...I didn't check Redout yet though.

I REALLY want to see some video of RedOut on the NS. We only have that teaser video and I want to see more of it, or have the devs talk about it a bit. The PC videos look cool.

ICYMI, there was an interesting thread recently, comparing the two games: So, Redout vs Fast Racing Neo/RMX

marc^o^

I'll probably pass on RMX unless it gets a really nice sale.
Follow changes they applied to controls, they say they spent a year refining them, knowing HD Rumble will also add something special, graphics will look better, difficulty has been optimized.

Did you know they secured the FZero presenter voice? That's a nice little gift for fans.

BooJoh

Follow changes they applied to controls, they say they spent a year refining them, knowing HD Rumble will also add something special, graphics will look better, difficulty has been optimized.

Did you know they secured the FZero presenter voice? That's a nice little gift for fans.

Well that's all nice to hear, but I'll still wait for some reviews or a demo so I don't get burned again.

Don't get me wrong, I like Neo in theory, I just feel like it didn't live up to its potential and I didn't really get my money's worth of play out of it because of my frustrations with it.

I'll buy it... but digital only for now? Fuck outta here with that weak shit.

Not every indie studio can afford to get things physically published. Don't blame Shin'en for Nintendo's lack of space on their system.

Glass Joe

I bought the Wii U version when it launched. Wasn't really impressed, didn't play it much. Found it way too hard. Just frustrating and cheap, sometimes. Reading this thread made me revisit it though. Had a lot more fun with it and even beat that last cup I had given up on. I wonder if it had to do with whatever was in the patch I downloaded, or if I was just in a better frame of mind.

Either way I was enjoying it and am looking forward to it on Switch... assuming it's $20 or less!

openrob

im not even sure what it is, is it an hd remaster of a remaster of a remaster or something?
im confused , i thought this game was released several times over the past decade.

There was a Wii game called FAST Racing League.

5777485263_1baa59c36d_o.jpg

They developed a full, very different, sequel for the Wii U called FAST Racing Neo.

screenshot03.jpg

This is a remaster of the Wii U game, but includes a lot more content, higher resolution, and refined balancing.

mocoworm

It's been announced!

March 3rd. Launch day. Available on the eStore as a digital download. Hopefully this will be the game that EVERYONE is talking about, now.

:D

mocoworm

I was also hoping for a physical release for this, the Wii U got one afterall.

Maybe it will at some point in the future, but definitely not at launch. I am just wondering what filesize the game will be. I don't want to buy an SD card straight away.

Top Bottom