• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FBI nabs white supremacist who wanted to follow in Dylan Roof's footsteps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Were people really trying to defend a terrorist because his feelings might have been hurt? As if that's even an iota of a reason for a person to plan to kill another.

It does make me kind of uncomfortable when GAF starts laying into criminals' appearance instead of their actions.

Does anyone remember that time that 4chan tricked major news outlets into reporting some random funny looking dude as the suspect for a school shooting, even though he had literally nothing to do with the incident? And then comments started flooding in on facebook, twitter, etc just ripping the dude's appearance to shreds and saying shit like "no wonder he went psycho".

Obviously that's a one in a million situation, but it really drove home for me how fucked up those comments can be.

With all that said, the jokes really do write themselves with this one, and I am not going to start throwing stones.

AHBDE6k.png

It does make me kind of uncomfortable when GAF starts laying into criminals' appearance instead of their actions.

Does anyone remember that time that 4chan tricked major news outlets into reporting some random funny looking dude as the suspect for a school shooting, even though he had literally nothing to do with the incident? And then comments started flooding in on facebook, twitter, etc just ripping the dude's appearance to shreds and saying shit like "no wonder he went psycho".

Obviously that's a one in a million situation, but it really drove home for me how fucked up those comments can be.

With all that said, the jokes really do write themselves with this one, and I am not going to start throwing stones.

Exactly, it's like how attractive murderers get love letters in prison. Society views ugly people as inherently more immoral.

Monocle

Or get to be on the cover of Rolling Stones.
I mean, hot is hot. I don't know why people are surprised by each new reminder that primal urges hold sway over us. Why wouldn't a company exploit our basic drives and predictable reactions for profit?

akira28

Exactly, it's like how attractive murderers get love letters in prison. Society views ugly people as inherently more immoral.

this guy doesn't look inherently immoral, he looks about harmless, which is part of why its so striking. Doesn't matter what you look like when you're behind the trigger of a gun in front of a large group of unarmed people.

KarmaCow

I mean, hot is hot. I don't know why people are surprised by each new reminder that primal urges hold sway over us. Why wouldn't a company exploit our basic drives and predictable reactions for profit?

Because they showcasing a terrorist that killed 6 and injured hundreds? Maybe have some integrity and not prop him up for a few cheap sales.

S-Wind

And the vicious cycle continues.

Plenty of people who are not White get mocked for being unattractive.

Yet they don't go around trying to kill those who are of a different skin colour, or of a different ethnic origin, or of a different religion, etc.

Get off your fucking high horse.

"he was just a kid"..." think of his feelings".. this is how you maintain a system of domination for hundreds of years, by staying on code no matter how heinous the individual.

Skoen

Hardly surprising that it once again turns out to be someone who isn´t even superior to a cockroach.

Always the backside of humanity trying to feel superior to something or someone...

Got

Banned
Guaranteed this asshole muttered something about girls never picking the nice guy like hime in life.

RinsFury

Terrorist piece of shit. There's nothing funny about this, that nazi fuck was willing to murder innocent black people because white supremacists like Trump bringing hate into the mainstream. Fucking terrifying.

Also the Jewish god.

Which baffles me to no end how some of these white supremacists connect Yahweh to their agenda. Maybe they think the appearance of Jesus suddenly made people white and non-Jewish or something.

they like the fact that their god wasn't even theirs first like the county they love

Genetically superior.

There is no reason to talk about his look or determine how he looks. He is what he is regardless of that and there is going to be plenty of good people that look very similar to him.

This whole oh she was beautiful oh look at this trash is not how people should treat one another. He should be treated for who he is, not his look. If we will ever make a change, it has to happen based on facts, not this stuff.

You can make fun of his look all you want, but it doesn't help with all the other issues we have with treating people badly, bullying and many other issues based on just the way a person looks. It starts with us, the ones that know better and can show our kids and the younger generation that a person is who they are for who they are simply.

29 and living with his mother. What a surprise

I get the impression that a lot of modern white "supremacists" don't necessarily feel that they're literally genetically superior, but rather recognize that they have an advantage in society, or feel they once did, and are trying to keep it or reclaim it. The ones most likely to turn into crazy terrorists, then, are the ones who feel like they've already lost that advantage, such as 29 year olds living with their parents.

I get the impression that a lot of modern white "supremacists" don't necessarily feel that they're literally genetically superior, but rather recognize that they have an advantage in society, or feel they once did, and are trying to keep it or reclaim it. The ones most likely to turn into crazy terrorists, then, are the ones who feel like they've already lost that advantage, such as 29 year olds living with their parents.

It always annoys me when they talk about it and can't understand the basic facts of what some of their past may have done to natives that were once here. It's never equal and never fair though..

There is no reason to talk about his look or determine how he looks. He is what he is regardless of that and there is going to be plenty of good people that look very similar to him.

This whole oh she was beautiful oh look at this trash is not how people should treat one another. He should be treated for who he is, not his look. If we will ever make a change, it has to happen based on facts, not this stuff.

You can make fun of his look all you want, but it doesn't help with all the other issues we have with treating people badly, bullying and many other issues based on just the way a person looks. It starts with us, the ones that know better and can show our kids and the younger generation that a person is who they are for who they are simply.

I agree. It's a real shitty basis for an argument. Like, if they caught this guy and he looked like Brad Pitt circa 1995 would these same people say, "Well, maybe the guy has a point." I certainly hope not.

I agree. It's a real shitty basis for an argument. Like, if they caught this guy and he looked like Brad Pitt circa 1995 would these same people say, "Well, maybe the guy has a point." I certainly hope not.

It's one of the reasons I left the US for six years now, I get tired of seeing people treat others so shitty in every day life all the time. It just happens way too much. It's a thin line in some ways for me.. as I like to make jokes but if it really makes someone feel bad then it sucks. I get it doesn't matter to many if they make this guy feel bad, I get that and that isn't what I am saying. But we put way too much emphasis on people's looks and it's really shitty and it likely won't ever stop anyways.

But if you are tired of the way blacks are treated, mexicans or even whites in whatever situation it is... it all becomes a part of "how a person looks" it's a mind thing and if we can't get around it in various situations then those situations will not get fixed any time soon if ever in the next 200 years.

Yup. Im sure if he was handsome the people in here calling him a fat fuck would agree with his actions.

Yup. Im sure if he was handsome the people in here calling him a fat fuck would agree with his actions.

That isn't what he is saying and you should know that. It's not fair to assume what others may or may not say but he was clearly in line with saying there would be people to say oh he is handsome and find reasons to agree with his actions. An assumption as to what some would do, but it is true in that respect. You know what he was saying though, or at least this is what he is meaning anyways. His basis is not specific in saying who would say it like you are saying though. It's like those lines people say when they see people having a change in thought and saying but but I thought this was not any good??? There is no clear line to if those were the same people changing their mind or not. People have a lot of non clear ideas and things they say that don't hold a lot of weight though.

If you can't get passed the fact that YOU don't like his look and want to say he is a fat fuck, then you are part of the issue.

Guess I misunderstood. Thats how it sounded when I read it. I don't think I get it. "Maybe he has a point" because he looks like Brad Pitt? Whats that mean? He gets a pass for being handsome to some people?

I dont give a fuck how he looks. He is a piece of shit regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom