• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFX HD... still coming soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not have a lot of love for this entry. I do enjoy Spira and some of the design, but the characters actions and motives just drive me up the damn wall. I'm sure i'll end up picking it up anyway.

What exactly is taking so long? Certainly not the slight visual improvements? There better be extra content or something. I do not understand why this is taking so long.

Mr.Ock

What exactly is taking so long? Certainly not the slight visual improvements? There better be extra content or something. I do not understand why this is taking so long.

Probably they have other priorities right now...
you know... perfumes and stuff

Interfectum

it feels like every project at Square has like 2 people working on it. its crazy how slow they are at everything.

it feels like every project at Square has like 2 people working on it. its crazy how slow they are at everything.

It's truly baffling. This is a HD remaster from the looks of it and after a long stint of silence, all they can show off are just models? With no mention of a release date or even release window? It really boggles my mind - what exactly they're doing behind the scenes that is making their output so excruciatingly slow?

It's truly baffling. This is a HD remaster from the looks of it and after a long stint of silence, all they can show off are just models? With no mention of a release date or even release window? It really boggles my mind - what exactly they're doing behind the scenes that is making their output so excruciatingly slow?

They took out almost everyone to resuscitate FF XIV: A Realm Reborn. The only FF that truly matters for the company's longterm financial bottomline. Also, the rest went to make moar FF XIII Lightning gaems.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Really, the only thing that looks improved are the character's hands. Everything else looks like it's from the same HQ model, only now with some better shaders applied.

Elios83

They took out almost everyone to resuscitate FF XIV: A Realm Reborn. The only FF that truly matters for the company's longterm financial bottomline. Also, the rest went to make moar FF XIII Lightning gaems.

Such a bad decision. They're totally delusional if they think that re-releasing a trainwreck 3 years after the original launch is going to make people flow at them willing to pay a dedicated subscription just to save their profits :D Maybe it's the right time, the final failure for Wada before being put out of the door.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
They are betting on the wrong horse.

Exactly. With that time and money spent on a MMORPG they could've used it for two mainline FFs and a couple of portable games.

Its absolutely ridiculous that a HD remaster is taking this long. I want to boycott but I love FFX too much.

Skilletor

This is the only FF I actually cared about the characters. I haven't played the International version, so I'm really looking forward to this release.

TheExodu5

Banned
Wow, glad to see they're putting proper effort into this one. Although I'm not sure if I feel like going through the story again, I'm definitely tempted to just so I can get to stat maxing again. Never got the International release in NA so I never got to take on the Dark Aeons and Penance. I dread having to do that damn chocobo race again, though.

Midou

Would maybe get if it was like $20 at some point. Didn't like X that much.

Would buy XII international HD in a heartbeat though.

They are betting on the wrong horse.

Such a bad decision. They're totally delusional if they think that re-releasing a trainwreck 3 years after the original launch is going to make people flow at them willing to pay a dedicated subscription just to save their profits :D Maybe it's the right time, the final failure for Wada before being put out of the door.

Exactly. With that time and money spent on a MMORPG they could've used it for two mainline FFs and a couple of portable games.

Its absolutely ridiculous that a HD remaster is taking this long. I want to boycott but I love FFX too much.

I don't disagree with your opinions, but the bean counters at Squeenix only saw how much consistent revenue FFXI brought to them over the years since it came out and that was probably their justification for trying to salvage the wreck that is FF XIV.

AFAIK, FFXI made the most scratch for them out of all the FFs ever made, even though it sold less copies worldwide due to subscriptions.

I dread having to do that damn chocobo race again, though.

Negative time. Negative time to get the sigil in order to power up Tidus's celestial weapon to its 2nd form. FML. I just gave up at one point and just fashioned my own "Ultimate Weapon" using a blank 4 slot sword for him and added the enchantments myself using Rikku. Cost a shitton of materials though.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
FFXI is the most profitable FF game.

Link?

Its bothersome seeing people actually defend XI or XIV because they're more "profitable". I can bet you they would've made more money off two mainline games plus spinoffs and made the fans happier.

Midou

AFAIK, FFXI made the most scratch for them out of all the FFs ever made, even though it sold less copies worldwide due to subscriptions.

I mean, I think it had what, like, 500k subscribers, and still probably sits around 100k. A few months of payments would make it worth it. Even if there is server costs and paying the team, retail games don't make them that much per copy sold anyways, a lot of it goes to middlemen and retailers and such. Monthly fees are much closer pure profit.

Midou

ZenaxPure

Its bothersome seeing people actually defend XI or XIV because they're more "profitable". I can bet you they would've made more money off two mainline games plus spinoffs.

Unlikely, the subscription fees alone for 1 year for 1 person is almost the cost of buying 3 individual full priced games, and that is not to mention that once the base game is made you can have significantly smaller teams pumping out expansions which costs less money than making a mainline game.

Caffeine

the update is nice but I cant see how its taking them this long for a few HD textures and higher poly character models.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/06/24/the-most-profitable-final-fantasy-of-all-time-is

It doesn't really say by how much, but since FFXI has been making them money monthly since like 2003, I can bet it made a lot more money than even 2 or 3 FFs.

I see what you're saying and thanks for the link but at this point I think most can agree that its not proven FF14 will be as successful as FF11.

FF11 also had the distinction of being one of the first console MMORPGs and helped push the PS2 HDD.

Mihos

Gold Member
Maybe they are fixing the lighting dodging mechanic.

actually the 'bird race balloon thing' is what frustrated me the most

RMI

Banned
this is a really good game. If I hadn't already played it years ago, I'd be picking this one up. Sure to be the definitive version.

Midou

I see what you're saying and thanks for the link but at this point I think most can agree that its not proven FF14 will be as successful as FF11.

FF11 also had the distinction of being one of the first console MMORPGs and helped push the PS2 HDD.

This is true. XIV was an insane investment that is still yet to be proven. I mean it's going to be like 2 and a half years after it's initial release when it finally comes out 'again'. They also ran the game with no monthly fees for a long time, that's development and server costs that they were paying for entirely themselves. I'm sure the numbers dropped exponentially after they introduced the monthly fee too.

I can understand their idea though, they want the lightning to strike twice, they are probably banking on the PS3 version and likely some eventual PS4 version to push the game like the PS2 pushed FFXI. It very well could end up being super profitable for them in the end, but it's going to be a long journey...

kuroshiki

FFXI is the most profitable FF game.

I'm pretty sure they blown a lot of profit made by FF11 with FF14. MMO is not exactly cheap to make, and not cheap to maintain.

FF11 benefitted from a new MMORPG with FF brand name on it when FF actually meant a lot. MMORPG market has been changed ever since and subscription model doesn't work that well anymore.

SE failed to see the change in the market and blindly putting all the resources they have on FF14, which is a dreadful mistake.

Also you should consider the time lost because of FF14. They could have made 2 mainline FF easily with that much effort.

jstripes

Banned

No, Square projects are like road work. You have 2 people working as slow as possible, 5 people standing around talking, 1 guy out getting coffee for everyone, another two guys sitting in a running truck, and 4 guys back at the office "managing" the project. All of them getting paid. Just to fill in a small pothole.

Ainaurdur

The updated character models... cannot wait to see the new Rikku and Kimahri. I really don't mind if the updates are subtle. Though it is a little discouraging to see so little after all this time.

I have put off a replay of FFX since they had announced the HD version, knowing that I will likely want to put another 100+ hours into it.

Hope they give us a date by E3, and that it arrives by fall.

Levyne

Banned
The updated character models... cannot wait to see the new Rikku and Kimahri. I really don't mind if the updates are subtle. Though it is a little discouraging to see so little after all this time.

I have put off a replay of FFX since they had announced the HD version, knowing that I will likely want to put another 100+ hours into it.

Hope they give us a date by E3, and that it arrives by fall.

I've been wanting to kill Penance for a looooong time :(

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I thought this was cancelled by now... so happy to see it's not :3

THANK YOU SQUARE!

I've still got some questions about this.

1) Will they also be re-rendering the FMVs? We know from Advent Children Complete that Square-Enix is willing to simply upscale them even if it'll look like shit.

2) Will this get a retail release in North America? SCEA mandates that PS2 HD conversions have at least two games in order to be sold on a disc. If they want a retail release, they'll either need to release FFX-2 alongside this or argue to SCEA that this has enough significant changes that it counts as a "new" game.

3) Will this have any tweaks to the gameplay besides the International version changes? I'd save dozens of hours if, for example, Earth Eater dropped a new "Fortune Distiller" item instead of a Fortune Sphere, or if Aeons could be fed HP+300 spheres. New bosses based on the new enemy models from FFX-2 would also be lovely. A 'hard' difficulty and New Game+ would be an absolute delight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom