• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFX HD... still coming soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ainaurdur

I've been wanting to kill Penance for a looooong time :(

Yes, that too. I have long considered importing all of the International versions of the PS1 and PS2 FF games. Just have not been able to find good enough prices or been able to justify the purchases to myself.

Biggest desire is still for being able to play the FFXII IZJE though.

As for the possible future FFXII HD release, the obvious solution to the SCEA/retail problem is FFXII HD, plus FFT:WotL HD using the higher-res assets from the iOS/Android port.

2) Will this get a retail release in North America? SCEA mandates that PS2 HD conversions have at least two games in order to be sold on a disc. If they want a retail release, they'll either need to release FFX-2 alongside this or argue to SCEA that this has enough significant changes that it counts as a "new" game.

Of course this will come to North America. As for SCEA requiring that every HD collections have at least two games, do we know for certain that it's a mandatory rule ? I don't see why Sony would prevent Square from releasing this game. If it is mandatory, maybe Square will be justified by selling both the PS3 and Vita version together ?

Of course this will come to North America. As for SCEA requiring that every HD collections have at least two games, do we know for certain that it's a mandatory rule ? I don't see why Sony would prevent Square from releasing this game. If it is mandatory, maybe Square will be justified by selling both the PS3 and Vita version together ?
It's a mandatory rule. It wouldn't prevent Square-Enix from releasing the game, either; it'd just have to be PSN-only, like Okami HD.

The character models look improved definitely. So I am looking forward to seeing more stuff.
However I wish they could make blitz ball multi player for this HD remake/port. I wasted so many hours on that game but a lot of things could be improved with it.

btkadams

I've still got some questions about this.

2) Will this get a retail release in North America? SCEA mandates that PS2 HD conversions have at least two games in order to be sold on a disc. If they want a retail release, they'll either need to release FFX-2 alongside this or argue to SCEA that this has enough significant changes that it counts as a "new" game.

if this is the international edition, wouldn't it technically count as a new release? was that ever released outside of japan?

Sounds like a good reason to bundle X-2 in there with it.

Levyne

Banned
FFX and FFXIII may both be linear, but at least FFX gives you party flexibility (you can't decide on your party members in XIII until, what? chapter 10 out of 13?), greater customization of weapons and armor, stuff to do along the side as you progress like blitzball and monster hunting. Just because both have linear map progression doesn't mean you can so easily equate them.

Mario007

It's going to be funny when people remember just how linear this game is.
The game has the best balance between illusional freedom of a world map which is just an easy way out for not desiging areas between towns and story driven linearity. XII took it overboard with too many areas between story points and the story suffered big time because of it. XIII took it the exact opposite direction, and the gameplay suffered.

Mario007

Hmm. Hard to say; I don't know if the exact wording of the SCEA policy is known.
Yeah, you're right. Although I'd say SCEA will be happy to have an exclusive FF game, and have one on the Vita too. I think SCE in general were actually unhappy with Square since the development is taking so long.

Sorry for the double post, am on my tablet.

XII was a pretty cool monster hunting/dungeon crawling game though.

I don't know where that political plot came from, more jarring than Necron.

FFX and FFXIII may both be linear, but at least FFX gives you party flexibility (you can't decide on your party members in XIII until, what? chapter 10 out of 13?), greater customization of weapons and armor, stuff to do along the side as you progress like blitzball and monster hunting. Just because both have linear map progression doesn't mean you can so easily equate them.

My thoughts exactly. Not to mention that the characters were so likable in FFX compared to FFXIII that I barely cared for the linearity because I was so entertained by their interactivity. Also lots of side quests INSIDE the story instead of once you get to this chapter you can do sidequests.

Tadale

Square blows my mind sometimes. Why is this taking so long? It should be a nice little stop-gap game for Vita owners, not some full-blown release that we wait years for.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I do not have a lot of love for this entry. I do enjoy Spira and some of the design, but the characters actions and motives just drive me up the damn wall. I'm sure i'll end up picking it up anyway.

FFX is a pretty mixed game for me, there's a lot that's excellent about it, but a lot that's disappointing.

Great:
-setting
-awesome turn-based battle system
-I did like the Sphere Grid

Bad:
-awful, awful minigames (lightning dodge, chocobo racing in the Calm Lands)
-stupid characterizations (Tidus is one of my least favorite FF characters)
-a bit too linear, and the game to start the trend of "no world map" that inflicted a lot of PS2-and-later RPGs

Midou

Square blows my mind sometimes. Why is this taking so long? It should be a nice little stop-gap game for Vita owners, not some full-blown release that we wait years for.

Yeah. Considering it looks like an upscaled emulated version of the ORIGINAL unaltered game, this can't possibly take this long.

XII was a pretty cool monster hunting/dungeon crawling game though.

I don't know where that political plot came from, more jarring than Necron.

I thought it was a pretty nice departure from the standard 'save the world' plot every FF has.

Ashe's desire to revive her kingdom and regain her position of political power was quite interesting to me. They could've presented the plot better; certain events happened in a jarring manner after the brilliant start and opening movie but I like the political tone of the story. Also certain characters you controlled felt like they didn't belong with the narrative, Vaan and Penelo just seemed shoved in to fulfill a certain demographic. If they wanted to go all the way, they should've stuck with Ashe and Basch as the main protagonists and axed Vaan + Penelo all together.

In contrast to the other FFs, the world didn't exactly revolve around your exploits alone, which made Ivalice feel more like a living and breathing place.

topplehat

Day 1 Purchase for me, just hurry up and release.

Hopeful for FFX-2 and FFXII HD releases too, hopefully they are developing tools/methods to make this process easier for those two games.

It is a rule, but exceptions can always be made.

Sony grants Sega exceptions for the english language track rule on Yakuza all the time.

Sure it was different, but I wouldn't say it was well done.

For a political plot, your characters sure didn't do much besides go in ruins to look for rocks and get captured by a judge every now and then.

Other Matsuno games handled political plots better, most notably Tactics Ogre, and while Vagrant Story wasn't exactly completely focused on politics I think it did a good job of balancing the political implications and the mysticism involved in the Lea Monde conflict.

Manu

Still my favorite FF. Admittedly I only played VII, X, XII and XII, but for some reason this is the one I remember the most fondly.

GMM

Banned
Some PCSX2 screens i took:

FFX_01.png

FFX_03.png

FFX_04.png

In all honesty, the assets looks fine in a higher resolution and they really only need to rerender the CG movies for 720p.

FFX is a pretty mixed game for me, there's a lot that's excellent about it, but a lot that's disappointing.

Great:
-setting
-awesome turn-based battle system
-I did like the Sphere Grid

Bad:
-awful, awful minigames (lightning dodge, chocobo racing in the Calm Lands)
-stupid characterizations (Tidus is one of my least favorite FF characters)
-a bit too linear, and the game to start the trend of "no world map" that inflicted a lot of PS2-and-later RPGs

Amazing:
-the music

Seriously those piano pieces are some of my favorite video game music ever.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
SE is Japan's Blizzard. They take their time polishing and release only high-caliber games. You guys should be thankful they don't pump them out one a year style like AC or CoD.

RPGCrazied

Some PCSX2 screens i took:

In all honesty, the assets looks fine in a higher resolution and they really only need to rerender the CG movies for 720p.

Yeah, but there is text bugs in the menu. Other than that it looks great in PCSX2.

steveovig

I still don't really understand why they don't just release this for the PS3 instead. Is SE just trying to do things backwards?

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
High caliber games like Final Fantasy All the Bravest.

Agreed. Most time I've put into an ios app. On the fight before the last boss now. Unfortunately some drop rates for weapons are super low.. =/

Soriku

Speaking of music, they need to fix
Jecht's
battle theme. The quality is crap and it sounds very different (and worse) from the version you hear on Youtube.

Interfectum

SE is Japan's Blizzard. They take their time polishing and release only high-caliber games. You guys should be thankful they don't pump them out one a year style like AC or CoD.

There is a middle ground you know...

Versus XIII was announced in May 2006.
Uncharted 1 was released in November 2007.

Think about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom