• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFX HD... still coming soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narolf

Banned
I just want something new. Not everyone can feed off re-releases of old games. It can give some the viewpoint that a company can't produce any new idea's and concepts and relies on past successes.

My standards are considered high because there are many who in fact have no standards or assume they do but know nothing of the standards they claim they have.

Some could say my standards are so high because I actually expect Square to lay off Final Fantasy and explore other area's. Different IP's or even some of the old one's they outright abandoned.

FF isn't the only thing they can make or in this case, re-release.
Sorry, tried to sneakily outwit you here. I thought you were referring to Gilgamesh.

You aren't the only one I've done that to as of late, anyway. Last time it happened was borderline weird for how unwarrantedly negative it was. Without going into too many details here, I'll just say that working for the DF staff for almost two years has left me with a fair share of severe sequels in my thought-processes. Eventually I'll get over it more by the time.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Sorry, tried to sneakily outwit you here. I thought you were referring to Gilgamesh.

You aren't the only one I've done that to as of late, anyway. Last time it happened was borderline weird for how unwarrantedly negative it was. Without going into too much details here, I'll just say that working for the DF staff for almost two years has left me with a fair share of severe sequels in my thought-processes. Eventually I'll get over it more by the time.

I have no idea what you are trying to say.

SougoXIII

Stop goofing over at DF and go have fun here instead while your sanity is still in check. Consider that one bit as a friendly piece of advice.

But... but... I wanna do both :p. Honestly though, there's nothing left in DF to goof around with, I only came for the last weekend tournament that I was part of.

To Kagari et al., with apologies if this is going too far off the FFX HD topic -

I do think that FF discussion, even as it's gotten far more rancid in recent years (for which I blame the drastically slowing drip of new releases to talk about), has gotten more interesting, or at least has the potential to be so.

FF releases starting with FFX have been much, much more experimental in a lot of ways. There's still a lot to point to in earlier FFs as far as points of differentiation are concerned - FF5's job system, FF6's intense sense of personality, the vastly differing aesthetics and ability systems from FF7/8/9 - but I'd argue that the actual *battle system* and *world design* remained relatively unchanged from FF4-9. This isn't a complaint about how it was handled in those games in the least, BTW, just saying that it was a constant, with only minor variations (casting times in FF4/5/6, the ATB freezing for summons/complex spells in FF9, assorted desperation attacks, etc.).

Starting with FFX, though, the games started designing their world-experiences radically differently from one game to the next, and doing the same with the battle system. FFX's initial linearity leading into an airship location menu, FFX-2's thoroughly open-from-the-start world, FFXII's massive maze of an Ivalice, FFXIII's no-backtracking-ever world, FFXIII's assorted totally disconnected zones and nonlinear time travel - these are all vastly different. Likewise, FFX's CTB, FFX-2's ATB Kai, FFXII's ADB/Gambit, and FFXIII/XIII-2's battle system are all far more radically different from one another than any of the FF4-9 games.

I think this increased amount of differentiation between games (combined with the slower pace of releases) goes a long way to explain both the increased vitriol of discussion and the more rewarding potential of FF discussion nowadays. It's just too bad that it rarely lives up to that potential.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Dang Narolf, hit that little + sign next to quote and you can just replay to everyone in one post. I can see you over there waitin for the 1 min timer to tick down between posts lol.

Emitan

I'm not gonna buy this either. I haven't bought a single HD remake this entire gen. They're cash ins. But again..look around..a thread of people who will rebuy a 13 year old game at full price. Same thing with Wind Waker HD. There's an audience. No company can please everyone. Some people here hated 13 and want to buy this. I don't want to buy this and loved 13. There ya go.

Doggie, you're gettin a bit insane with this GAF indexing and linking.

I see...

image.php

Is this a port or an HD remake? If it's a port with random battle where I can see the enemies before I even encounter them then I'm passing. It's an archaic design that needs to go away. If they modernize that I might be interested in buying it.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Is this a port or an HD remake? If it's a port with random battle where I can see the enemies before I even encounter them then I'm passing. It's an archaic design that needs to go away. If they modernize that I might be interested in buying it.

Upscaled Port. Called a HD Remaster.

Not a remake.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.

Sick burn and all, but a bit off base. ATB is a brand new game, not a rerelease, and requires nothing but the purchase of the game. I couldn't have played this game for a decade, like the HD releases. The "cash-in" part of a game like ATB is the dlc, same as 13-2 where people pay $3 to watch Serah run around in a bikini. I haven't bought any dlc for ATB, nor 13-2. And if ATB is a cash-in, what do you call every other mobile product they have? Are they only allowed to make multimillion dollar AAA games?

If you're saying ATB and X HD are alike because they take minimal investment for high reward, absolutely. Again, smart company.

Narolf

Banned
I have no idea what you are trying to say.

Yeah, constantly speaking between riddles is also one of those sequels it seems.

I'm saying I'm literally suspicious to everyone ever since the drama over at DF. As it stands, the people I actually trust (as in people I would lend the key of my house to) can be counted on my one hand. Worse comes to worst, I get sneaky towards said people at times even if there is no reason to be that way rationally-speaking, by making private stuff public for instance. That's what I was talking about before.

But... but... I wanna do both :p. Honestly though, there's nothing left in DF to goof around with, I only came for the last weekend tournament that I was part of.

You're free to do whatever you please at last, but you should stay the hell away from whatever remotely connects to the Massfia regardless. All of them are puppets. Even MZ is his own puppet. There is that one quote of him which truly asserts it. Not going to bring that shit here.

Dang Narolf, hit that little + sign next to quote and you can just replay to everyone in one post. I can see you over there waitin for the 1 min timer to tick down between posts lol.

Schizophrenia was also one of those sequels. Sorry for triple-posting.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Yeah, constantly speaking between riddles is also one of those sequels it seems.

I'm saying I'm literally suspicious to everyone ever since the drama over at DF. As it stands, the people I actually trust (as in people I would lend the key of my house to) can be counted on my one hand. Worse comes to worst, I get sneaky towards said people at times even if there is no reason to be that way rationally-speaking, by making private stuff public for instance. That's the event I was talking about in my previous post.

I hope I'm not on that hand.

Narolf

Banned
I hope I'm not on that hand.
You aren't among of those people I would lend the key of my house to, but you definitely aren't one of those bad guys either. Remember the analogy to Jackie? That's what I'm talking about here. A lot of people were scared of me over at DF (see the number of members who flip-flopped as soon as I got banned there) and I can tell I still give bad impressions to quite a bit of GAFfers, but I'm working on that.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
You aren't among of those people I would lend the key of my house to, but you definitely aren't one of those bad guys either. Remember the analogy to Jackie? That's what I'm talking about here. A lot of people were scared of me over at DF (see the number of members who flip-flopped as soon as I got banned there) and I can tell I still give bad impressions to quite a bit of GAFfers, but I'm working on that.

I don't see what's so scary about you. The worst you could do is go Kraden on people. Or point out people's fallacies.

Narolf

Banned
To Kagari et al., with apologies if this is going too far off the FFX HD topic -

I do think that FF discussion, even as it's gotten far more rancid in recent years (for which I blame the drastically slowing drip of new releases to talk about), has gotten more interesting, or at least has the potential to be so.

FF releases starting with FFX have been much, much more experimental in a lot of ways. There's still a lot to point to in earlier FFs as far as points of differentiation are concerned - FF5's job system, FF6's intense sense of personality, the vastly differing aesthetics and ability systems from FF7/8/9 - but I'd argue that the actual *battle system* and *world design* remained relatively unchanged from FF4-9. This isn't a complaint about how it was handled in those games in the least, BTW, just saying that it was a constant, with only minor variations (casting times in FF4/5/6, the ATB freezing for summons/complex spells in FF9, assorted desperation attacks, etc.).

Starting with FFX, though, the games started designing their world-experiences radically differently from one game to the next, and doing the same with the battle system. FFX's initial linearity leading into an airship location menu, FFX-2's thoroughly open-from-the-start world, FFXII's massive maze of an Ivalice, FFXIII's no-backtracking-ever world, FFXIII's assorted totally disconnected zones and nonlinear time travel - these are all vastly different. Likewise, FFX's CTB, FFX-2's ATB Kai, FFXII's ADB/Gambit, and FFXIII/XIII-2's battle system are all far more radically different from one another than any of the FF4-9 games.

I think this increased amount of differentiation between games (combined with the slower pace of releases) goes a long way to explain both the increased vitriol of discussion and the more rewarding potential of FF discussion nowadays. It's just too bad that it rarely lives up to that potential.

Very good points here.

Narolf

Banned
I don't see what's so scary about you. The worst you could do is go Kraden on people. Or point out people's fallacies.

A lot of people assumed I would have banned them if they weren't on the same page as mine. You can say I was the Amir0x of DF. Sort of.

I'm liking what they've done with the shadows; very nice. Plus it's good to see actual fingers on the character models in battle for once.

I do wish they used updated versions of the high poly character models but this is still a nice step up from what we currently have.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
A lot of people assumed I would have banned them if they weren't on the same page as mine. You can say I was the Amir0x of DF. Sort of.

That's an asinine way of thinking. And besides if people on that forum adhere to the base forum etiquette they should be fine.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
The thing is, there is no etiquette despite appearances. Rules are tied to arbitrary boundaries they can redefine at will to save face. I myself was moderating the place as I were a GAF mod, taking Kagari as an example, yet my "colleagues" weren't really supporting the endeavor.

DF just has terrible administrators. You need someone who is impartial and can admit mistakes instead of having a holier then thou attitude.

And also act as a neutral judge when doing your job to keep the peace if you will.

And I genuinely feel DF as a whole was a community I simply would not be able to get along with at my core.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
And you have the right at it. I didn't forget that one time when they all ganged up on you just because you were playing Dissidia differently.

Yes, the whole Kuja Assist bumrush is the only way. Yeah I was like whatever. Didn't really appreciate the narrowminded perception. And I generally hate using assists to begin with.

And I never aspire to play competitively and the tools required to play online are not available to me.

Game should of had infrastructure and not require a round-about way to do so.

Narolf

Banned
Yes, the whole Kuja Assist bumrush is the only way. Yeah I was like whatever. Didn't really appreciate the narrowminded perception. And I generally hate using assists to begin with.

You know, I've seen a lot of people describing GAF as "elitist" (the "GAF hivemind", the "usual suspects"... even pulled the term "Kagarmi" out of my ass once) but this forum remains miles away in terms of peer-pressure in comparison to what I've got to witness over at DF.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
You know, I've seen a lot of people describing GAF as "elitist" (the "GAF hivemind", the "usual suspects"... even pulled the term "Kagarmi" out of my ass once) but this forum remains miles away in terms of peer-pressure in comparison to what I've got to witness over at DF.

Generalization. People do it when they have an aura of ethnocentrism.

Sick burn and all, but a bit off base. ATB is a brand new game, not a rerelease, and requires nothing but the purchase of the game. I couldn't have played this game for a decade, like the HD releases. The "cash-in" part of a game like ATB is the dlc, same as 13-2 where people pay $3 to watch Serah run around in a bikini. I haven't bought any dlc for ATB, nor 13-2. And if ATB is a cash-in, what do you call every other mobile product they have? Are they only allowed to make multimillion dollar AAA games?

If you're saying ATB and X HD are alike because they take minimal investment for high reward, absolutely. Again, smart company.

Considering they are actually redoing the models of the game and seemingly updating other aspects. It is hard to knock them. A game that is 10+ years old and has wide appeal may be rereleased so a newer generation can experience it or for those who missed out the first time around.

Either way I would rather they them finally update and port Type-Zero. If FFXHD makes it before Type-Zero then I will def be confused as to how they are doing things and why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom