• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |eSports| 4444 Life

Anne

I owe it to CC for getting me into the personality side of FGs, but I honestly haven't watched since about 2012 with some small exceptions. I like Mike a lot, but ever since Gooteck's meltdown when they had the live show it's too hard to watch. It's definitely unfair coming from me, but I just associate him with his issues since he doesn't seem to have changed much since.

Onemic

I owe it to CC for getting me into the personality side of FGs, but I honestly haven't watched since about 2012 with some small exceptions. I like Mike a lot, but ever since Gooteck's meltdown when they had the live show it's too hard to watch. It's definitely unfair coming from me, but I just associate him with his issues since he doesn't seem to have changed much since.

Never knew this happened. Got a link to the episode in question?

Anne

Never knew this happened. Got a link to the episode in question?

I mean what happened on the show I wouldn't call the meltdown. It was a few random outbursts with him leaving, then all the weird ass shit that happened with him afterwards. I was hoping he'd be doing good things with Mike and co, so it was pretty depressing seeing him being strung out and creepy during the DJ Gootecks phase.

Sayad

Really wanted to watch their MvCI videos with Justin, but couldn't set through watching a depressed person doing something he obviously don't want to do, dude had a "disgusted" face on through the few minutes I watched, not to mention the "ugghs" and rolleyes.

RayRay dropped some shit, I don't see Sonic beating FChamp or Richard Nguyen at the moment...
RayRay went from 5-0-ing Sonic to getting 6-0-ed, it's silly to think "dropped some shit" was the reason!

Spuck-uk

Banned
I forgot crosscounter.tv was a thing. Gooby really goes out of his way to distance himself from Twitch.

Is the only fighting game he plays is Street Fighter? Maybe he can get into Fighting Layer EX.

I think the only fighting game he's ever been 'good' at is 3rd Strike, Mike was a genuine contender at SF4 for quite a while.

played some KOF98FE yesterday

EX Ryo overhead hard kd into OTG air fireball Kreygasm

busted a nut to actual walkspeeds btw

Extra Eiji walking backwards can fuck off tho ayy lmao

NEO0MJ

I think the only fighting game he's ever been 'good' at is 3rd Strike, Mike was a genuine contender at SF4 for quite a while.

Didn't the fact that the scene in general during that period was still developing, as well as the low number of international players, help him shine more?
But yeah, his Honda had a good showing during that period.

Anne

Didn't the fact that the scene in general during that period was still developing, as well as the low number of international players, help him shine more?
But yeah, his Honda had a good showing during that period.

Mike was even good when all of that started to happen. He's an extremely strong fighting game player with the ability to grow. I'm willing to be him not keeping up had a lot more to do with disinterest as well as the despair of having to keep up. There are players that aren't inherently strong as others who stay placing well just because they have the ability/stamina to keep up more. A lot of extremely skilled and talented players end up having periods or one offs where they look absurd, then for whatever reason they can't keep up and end up "washed up." It's a pretty relevant and observable factor.

I guess the question is whether or not you would call somebody who can't keep up "good". I think you can, and I think Mike is good. I don't think Gootecks ever hit a point in skill that I'd call him good like that though. Dude just keeps coming up short :<

After about 5 hours in training mode I think I am going to cross Gargos off of my list.

Down to Glacius and Kan-Ra. Both of them are a lot of fun to play, though Kan-Ra has SO much more going on. I'm not sure I can handle managing all of his options. I am concerned Glacius' lack of mobility will become boring.

But this is a good problem to have. KI has a lot of fun characters to pick from. I'm glad SFV is starting to add some as well.

Is Brook still the go-to if you want a stick that works on both ps4 and xbone? I'm looking at getting a new custom stick and I want it to work on everything current.

.la1n

After about 5 hours in training mode I think I am going to cross Gargos off of my list.

Down to Glacius and Kan-Ra. Both of them are a lot of fun to play, though Kan-Ra has SO much more going on. I'm not sure I can handle managing all of his options. I am concerned Glacius' lack of mobility will become boring.

But this is a good problem to have. KI has a lot of fun characters to pick from. I'm glad SFV is starting to add some as well.

Glacius is the most fun I have ever had with a zoner. I don't typically gravitate towards that style of play.

Either the dude is trolling or he is on the spectrum.

I thought he was trolling at first but after seeing his later comment I am sure he is just an extremely awkward person. Someone pointed out to him "why was telling us your friend was indigenous important?" and he responded "well if I didn't say he was people would think he was white and would make me looks more racist." even though he said how the friend expressed unpleasantness with his comment... So he is just very self-conscious about race.

Mike was a contender in MvC2 as well, right?

lol no. Not even close. He was honestly better in SF4 than MVC2

Whoever's idea it was to have 3 simultaneous qualifying tournaments in one weekend with basically a week and a half's notice is out of their mind.

That one's in Milan, too, right? Dunno what the MvC community was like in Italy to begin with.

Smooth Operator posted this on the Discord (hope you don't mind me sharing this here, SO)

Smooth Operator said:
I organized a tournament today in France, with prizes, cash, etc, we were expecting 30 people at least, we had 6 people.

and they don't even like the game

So yeah, in Europe it's dead.

US will be fine

Right now yeah, i think i'll wait until the official announcement of mvci @ CPT + dlcs before running tournaments on mvci.

And WhiteBlack & Alioune were supposed to be at our tournament, but the announcement of the Milan 8 days before our tournament... yeah.

Tripon

The SFV last chance qualifier tourney only had 28 people in it. For some reason nobody wanted to come to this event.
Italy is expensive in general and the scenes in Europe are based in the UK, France and Germany.

Doesn't help that apprently the reg pages were only in Italian. I don't know who or why Capcom keeps on picking Milan games week, but it isn't working out.

Dahbomb

I am not sure why Capcom A) announced Battle of the Stones so late. B) Had so many international tournaments for Battle of the Stone when Marvel is primarily a US game. At least they could've waited next and seen how the game panned out internationally before committing to it. C) Chose Milan Games Week of all the places in Europe.

I guess no other Europe event came close to that timeline? Either that or Capcom is getting money hats from Milan Games so that the event can grow in the future.

Also they had a Stone tournament while two other big events were happening in the US. Capcom has no one to blame this on but themselves.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Yeah I'm not feeling this whole multiple tournaments a given time thing. Even TFC doesn't seem as hype this year because not many outsiders are traveling to it.

Is that our Yams on stream?

I'm thinking of giving another fighting series a try, as all I've played is USF4 and SFV in recent years. I'm between Guilty Gear and Killer Instinct... any recommendations?

To be honest the thought of learning another fighter fills me with dread but I need a change. =/

Top Bottom