• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Game Headquarters |eSports| 4444 Life

I'm thinking of giving another fighting series a try, as all I've played is USF4 and SFV in recent years. I'm between Guilty Gear and Killer Instinct... any recommendations?

To be honest the thought of learning another fighter fills me with dread but I need a change. =/
I just got Killer Instinct, so if you want someone to learn with, you've got a willing buddy right here. =)

I also play Guilty Gear, and I think it's a fantastic game. But I'm ~intermediate at GG so I wouldn't be as entertaining to beat up in that game.

I think both are great games, and you should do 2 things:
1) Reflect on whether you want a game that is more or less similar in SFV in terms of gameplay fundamentals (KI is more similar than GG).
2) Check out videos and see which gameplay looks more interesting to you.
3) Check out characters and see who excites you.

Then decide based on that. KI is $30 on Steam right now. Not sure how cheap you can get GG for.

MrDaravon

I had no goddamn idea TFC was even happening this weekend. To be fair I've paid little attention to any FGC stuff since Evo (if it wasn't for GAF/Twitter I wouldn't even know MvCI was out), but I follow a good chunk of FGC folks on Twitter and I've seen no one even mention it. This weekend seems like a mess.

kirblar

Wait, wasn't the location specifically chosen to be equidistant from the major FGC hubs on the east coast? (and not just a tri-state thing)
Yeah, the problem is that it ended up in a No Man's Land as a result cause it's really far from everyone. DC/Baltimore might have been a better idea.

shaowebb

I'm thinking of giving another fighting series a try, as all I've played is USF4 and SFV in recent years. I'm between Guilty Gear and Killer Instinct... any recommendations?

To be honest the thought of learning another fighter fills me with dread but I need a change. =/

If all you've played is SF then I think you'd be more at home with Killer Instinct. Guilty Gear is great but its a very different mindset in movement and spacing. Killer Instinct is its own world in its own ways but its something I feel SF, and even MK folk can switch into easily.

and even MK folk can switch into easily.
How so? KI feels ludicrously different than MK, with the only good comparison being that the artstyle seems somewhat comparable. Only real comparison I can think of is the ability to Break the opponent's combo, and even that feels like an arbitrary comparison since they both function differently and have wildly different risk-to-reward ratios.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
How so? KI feels ludicrously different than MK, with the only possible comparison being that the artstyle seems somewhat comparable. Only real comparison I can think of is the ability to Break the opponent's combo, and even that feels like an arbitrary comparison since they both function differently and have wildly different risk-to-reward ratios.

the sort of person who is comfortable with MKs absurd 50/50s is well prepared for KIs combo breaker system imo

shaowebb

How so? KI feels ludicrously different than MK, with the only good comparison being that the artstyle seems somewhat comparable. Only real comparison I can think of is the ability to Break the opponent's combo, and even that feels like an arbitrary comparison since they both function differently and have wildly different risk-to-reward ratios.

Footsies and breakers. KI will always have its own dramatic differences from other games with its enders, autodoubles and multiple breaker tools, but I've seen guys make a smooth transition from MK to KI no problem on Test Your Might. Rico Suave is pretty stellar at both actually but then again Rico is one of those fundamental guys who plays a bit of everything. MK guys tend to be able to move into KI easier than ASW stuff in general though and I'll stand by that observation. Its definitely easier than GG for them. Its footsies aren't super different but GG gets into some dash and guard mechanics that are very removed from those games.

Well yeah compared to GG, KI is definitely easier to get into for MK players.

But I personally just don't feel like KI has that many properties that make going from Mortal Kombat to KI even a "somewhat" smooth transition. There's a lot more verticality involved and the movement in general just feels more like a suped up SF than it does MK, not to mention the combo system (which you did of course)

And yeah Rico Suave might not be the best example since that guy plays everything and is also good at everything. His Gargos is pretty fun to watch tbh, possibly the only Gargos I would say that about.

FB_IMG_1506868860300.jpg

shaowebb

Some people just like games from Chicago

Yeah Chicago is awesome. Has both Iron Galaxy and NRS there, plus its home to Frosty Faustings every January which is a tourney that caters to not only mainstream but a shitload of niche poverty fighters plus old school games like TVC and Darkstalkers. Literally a feel good venue that celebrates something for anyone who ever liked the genre. Plus right down the road 30 min away is Galloping Ghost Arcade which is the biggest arcade collection in the country where its play all day. Plus they have venue rooms to rent and stream, weeklies and one of the strongest scenes around for several games.

I wouldn't mind living bout an hour outside Chicago where I know of a voltage station I could work at. Be a great area to hang out with like minded nerds and to grind for top scores at a major local venue on various bullethells.

Z

ZelbZelb

Unconfirmed Member
JoJo ASB:

Ermes Combo Demonstration:
http://www.mmcafe.com/nico.html#http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm24814841
Ermes VS Shigechi, then Shigechi VS Narancia:
http://www.mmcafe.com/nico.html#http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm31985971

Ermes is a lesser played, but excellent character. She's a unique character in fighting games in that she can change her own frame data by placing stickers on her limbs. By placing a sticker using S-OFF 421A, she can double her arms(L), legs(M), or both(H). This doubles the number of hits for all moves involving those limbs. This in turn changes the hit-stun, block-stun, damage scaling, and meter gain of those moves. This means you can create new frame traps and set-ups that you couldn't before. As a result of more hits, damage scaling and timing of links will mean your combos will have to change as well. The one major downside to these stickers, is that you can't manually take them off. You have to have your opponent give you hard knockdown.

In S-OFF, she has an anti-air that can lead to a combo if roman canceled. She has a rushing punch move that becomes safe with stickers, and can even lead to a self-loping combo which gains a ton of meter. She has a soccer kick command normal that hits OTG and is great for ending combos with, as it can lead to placing stickers safely. She can fly on a broom, or do a fake-out with the broom for safety. In S-ON she has an overhead that crumples, and a rekka chain that becomes air-tight with stickers.

Out side Jonathan's revive, Hermes has the highest HP in the game :)

She's pretty fun, if you're willing to explore all the possibilities.

Dahbomb

I would boo the shit outta this sorta fraudulent runback.
That's what they want. They want villains, heroes and underdogs.

Imagine someone switching bracket with the Space stone and still losing. That would be hype.

Imagine someone resurrecting, at 3-0... then runs it all the way back. That would be hype (or boo worthy but either way it could create a story).

Winners Final match is going to have players with 3 stones each.

IMO there is nothing fraudulent about winning off of a Soul stone. They earned that stone by flying over to Milan and winning the tournament. That was the advantage of winning the major, similar to how players get better seeding if they win more majors. Yeah it's kinda over the top... but it's god damn Mahvel.

TFC was really a waste this week. Even the East Coast notables went to NWM.

TFC lost CPT status, and that really hurt it since all the known SFV players went to NWM's instead. And with that it also lost some prestige and I think that definitely contributed to lower attendance from even pot monsters. Viewership obviously took a big hit as well.

I decided to ask in the chat why that happened. Lud and some other responded, they said it was due to the hurricane last year. Since that caused a big drop in attendance and the event itself suffered(obviously) because of it, TFC lost CPT status. If true, that's pretty shitty of Capcom to punish the event because of a natural disaster. But I don't know if that's actually true, it's just what some of the guys said in the chat.

Regardless it's a pretty big fall from grace(on the Capcom side of things) considering TFC was a auto qualifier for the 1st Capcom Cup and a Premier event for the first year of the Capcom Pro Tour.

shaowebb

That's what they want. They want villains, heroes and underdogs.

Imagine someone switching bracket with the Space stone and still losing. That would be hype.

Imagine someone resurrecting, at 3-0... then runs it all the way back. That would be hype (or boo worthy but either way it could create a story).

Winners Final match is going to have players with 3 stones each.

IMO there is nothing fraudulent about winning off of a Soul stone. They earned that stone by flying over to Milan and winning the tournament. That was the advantage of winning the major, similar to how players get better seeding if they win more majors. Yeah it's kinda over the top... but it's god damn Mahvel.
Dude, I will never justify forcing a player to fly halfway across the world to play in a game for a chance at one extra round in a tournament later on. The cost to the player alone is just ridiculous. Be it credit card or otherwise thats a flight, potentially a passport if they hadn't gotten one yet, hotel, food, and either the cost of uber expenses or a rental car.
Italy isn't even a place where I've ever heard of a major scene for the game before so its not even up there with the usual japan or america stuff.

Its not hype to stick it to people like that IMO. I dont care if everything this game does is Mahvel and I'm supposed to cheer for it. Thats a very detrimental way to organize a tournament both in travel and in how it impacts validity of wins and losses.

Spin it however you want but this stone tournament is not very fair to anyone involved. I can't get excited for that.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
My issue with it as far as tournament set up goes for the big picture, is the odds of someone being really good wining it is low, so when the big finale comes around the dude with the bracket swap stone can just make that his first match up and pick it up

shaowebb

My issue with it as far as tournament set up goes for the big picture, is the odds of someone being really good wining it is low, so when the big finale comes around the dude with the bracket swap stone can just make that his first match up and pick it up

Wait, are you saying they can go into Grand Finals in losers bracket and flip bracket so that they ALSO have to be double eliminated in Grand Finals just like the guy that earned his way through Winners Bracket? Or worse...go in from winners bracket. Lose 3 and have the bracket reset only to say "naw dog" and go BACK into winners bracket forcing you to eliminate them 3 times to win?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Wait, are you saying they can go into Grand Finals in losers bracket and flip bracket so that they ALSO have to be double eliminated in Grand Finals just like the guy that earned his way through Winners Bracket?

I dont think you can swap tiers of brackets it just lets you rig matches on the same tier looking at it from the start of the final tournament perspective

Lemstar

Yeah although I am not sure how it works if you win a stone off of someone who has already used their stone.
read the rules

All Infinity Stones can only be used one time per Stone Bearer, and then can no longer be used by that Stone Bearer for the rest of the tournament.

During the Battle for the Stones Finals, if a Stone Bearer is defeated, the winner of that match now obtains their Infinity Stone, which can then be used once by the new Stone Bearer during the tournament.

shaowebb

I dont think you can swap tiers of brackets it just lets you rig matches on the same tier looking at it from the start of the final tournament perspective

Thats a relief. If I had to hope for someone to take 9 rounds off of F. Champ it'd be too much. My hype would die knowing that its a pipe dream.

Did anyone even show up for that Milan tourney? Last I heard it only had 8 guys registered in the brackets and I've played TVC tournies with less advertising or stuff at stake than it that drew more than that this year. Did it fill up any more or did the tourney bomb?
EDIT: Wait...I just went over the rules on the site. They're not revealing the stones abilities till the tournies? How do people even know which flights to book for ahead of time so they aren't bled to death by the ticket costs?

sigh...

I woulda just ran this like a lucha underground medallion thing 6 tournies world wide and each gets you a glowing easter egg. You get an egg you're in the 7th tourney automatically. Spots 7 and 8 are determined by point standing to get two players who competed hard but never got an Infinity Egg a wildcard spot each in the 7th tournament. Tourney starts and theres a gold gauntlet and each of the Infinity Egg winners walks onto the stage and inserts their egg into the gauntlet. They do that and cannot retrieve it. Winner gets the now complete gauntlet with all the eggs. It adds drama to walking on stage.

Final tournament is a top 8 and you go all in. Make it first to 5 or something to drag it out if you got to and each slot on the bracket has a different stone or something as required stone with the next round allowing the winner to take that stone into the next round and choose between it or the other designated stone for that bracket. For example round 1 winners bracket all matches use Reality Stone, round 1 losers bracket all matches use Time Stone, Round 2 winners bracket is soul stone or reality stone, round 2 losers is power stone or time stone, Winners final is Mind stone, or Reality or Soul and Losers finals is Time, power or space.
By the end in Grand Finals all stones are tourney legal. This way even losers bracket has stones in it and its own drama. At least it wont be a ton of Reality stone usage this way and shows off more of the game just in case it gets redundant in stone choices. You could even light up the corresponding Infinity Eggs on the Gauntlet during rounds to denote what players are allowed to use in their bracket.

Anyhow thats how I'd run it if I wanted to incorporate stones both into the tournament rules and into its presentation. But hey thats just me.

Dahbomb

read the rules

All Infinity Stones can only be used one time per Stone Bearer, and then can no longer be used by that Stone Bearer for the rest of the tournament.

During the Battle for the Stones Finals, if a Stone Bearer is defeated, the winner of that match now obtains their Infinity Stone, which can then be used once by the new Stone Bearer during the tournament.

I missed that part but thanks for bringing it out. So I guess it's one per user then.

So here's my next question:

What if player A uses the stone, loses it, giving it to player B, then they meet in losers bracket and player A wins getting the stone back. Can player A use the stone again?

jett

D-Member
What's up with Ricki Ortiz? Feels like I haven't seen her play in a tournament in a long time. Or maybe she's just drowning in pools. :p

shaowebb

Tenshinhan, or a character that has yet to be shown.

More realistically, whoever is low tier.

After his trailer Tien may be that guy honestly. I didn't see much to hype over. I was kind of hoping for more Chiaotzu or something. He kind of looked like he lost at long range and wasn't the best rushdown yet. Maybe he's just a beefy hitstun sorta guy. I know he's got a super that you can dump health into to make more powerful. Partner him with Krillin and you might be able to heal him and fish for that if you got a solid setup for it.

So far though...he's got the least in his trailer to make me wanna rush in and use him.

buu least played? naaaah

probably tien, since people like to meme on yamcha

I missed that part but thanks for bringing it out. So I guess it's one per user then.

So here's my next question:

What if player A uses the stone, loses it, giving it to player B, then they meet in losers bracket and player A wins getting the stone back. Can player A use the stone again?

once per user doesn't sound ambiguous at all

Uraizen

Banned
After his trailer Tien may be that guy honestly. I didn't see much to hype over. I was kind of hoping for more Chiaotzu or something. He kind of looked like he lost at long range and wasn't the best rushdown yet. Maybe he's just a beefy hitstun sorta guy. I know he's got a super that you can dump health into to make more powerful. Partner him with Krillin and you might be able to heal him and fish for that if you got a solid setup for it.

So far though...he's got the least in his trailer to make me wanna rush in and use him.

Tien is doomed if this is what you're counting on.

Sayad

Anyone know how CPT work this year, would regional qualifiers free up spots for global qualifiers or the other way around(ie, if you're qualified in both, do you take the regional or global spot)?! The later would be awful, discourage traveling to oversea events and insure less talent qualify for the finals!

Anyone know how CPT work this year, would regional qualifiers free up spots for global qualifiers or the other way around(ie, if you're qualified in both, do you take the regional or global spot)?! The later would be awful, discourage traveling to oversea events and insure less talent qualify for the finals!

They changed things this year. Being top 2 in a region doesn't automatically get you into Capcom Cup anymore. Same with winning a Premier event. Outside of a few qualifying at the end of the year(all the Regional Finals), being the previous CapCup champ, and EVO, it's straight up this year. Whoever has the most points gets in, end of story.

Unlike last year where it seemed the goal was to get more global representation, I think this year was more focused on getting the best overall players. And I much prefer that.

Top Bottom