• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | April 22-28 | Game of Throws - A Song of Salt and Fire(balls)

Drop Marvel, play Injustice?

Why else was he made a tester and why else has everybody been hyping it up as a great game?

We are all witnessing the greatest coordinated pot split in the history of mankind.

Once he is safely integrated into the MK community, Yipes will emerge at Big Two, patches will flow from capcom and Mike Ross will finally stop messing around and show his true marvel skills. And it will be glorious.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";55048720]NCR will be Champ's grand return. Norcal won't let the demon through.[/QUOTE]

Maybe Chirs G won't win NCR but, I want to see Apologyman's Firebrand take it all.

Why else was he made a tester and why else has everybody been hyping it up as a great game?

We are all witnessing the greatest coordinated pot split in the history of mankind.

Once he is safely integrated into the MK community, Yipes will emerge at Big Two, patches will flow from capcom and Mike Ross will finally stop messing around and show his true marvel skills. And it will be glorious.

The greatest game ever played in the FGC was the one that didn't even need fight sticks.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Arthur - They got the main one (not hardknockdown on Gold armor) but really didn't address many of his other issues. A slightly faster walking speed isn't going to do jack shit, his mobility is still ass. You are still punished hard for using Gold armor. I guess they are fine with Arthur serving his niche of anchor/support character.

didnt watch last night, but i will say, mobility is Not sir Arthur's issue. The majority of his road blocks for him are his normals. Movement is not were he needs the speed, IMO:

- Yea obviously Gold Armor crack hard kn..blah blah
- change st.M from 12f startup to 6f, cuz chaining L to it feels weird and its defensive auto block property would actually be put to use.
- change st.L from 6f to 4f startup and remove chain to itself
- all Jump normals 1f faster
- Cross sword(back.H) is useless beyond useless. cut startup in Half(comes out slower than ur average assist now) for start....
- Lance Charge should stagger on counter hit.

as for specials and stuff
- Shield counter should be 3f and should be able to hold it (Like Ammy Solar shields)
- Heavenly Slash(non-Gold) should soft-knock opponent
- make Ax throw 4f faster
- make crossbow as faster as Daggers on startup

Now you are talking about "I can't zone Spencer". Spencer gets mauled the fuck by Wolverine because Wolverine can just get under his zip line and anti air him.. same for Vergil because of his godly anti airs. A lot of small hit box characters own Spencer for free because of this.

LMAO FGTV more salty about fucking Haggar than Wolverine. Embarassing. All their characters own Haggar for free.
I really get tired of this logic. Wolverine beats EVERYONE up close. That's not an argument that a character is balanced.

Most of the suggestions they have are terrible. Oh and magus makes my brain bleed. Sometimes I just think he is secretly a godlike troll.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Chris G has worked as hard as Champ, if not harder.
Champ is sticking to his guns rather than try out more obscure characters. The answer is out there, but Champ isn't going to be the one to find it.

If there's a tourney top 8 with Apologyman, Rubeks, Champ and Chris G, and I wasn't allowed to put money on Chris, I'd put my money on Apologyman and Rubeks over Champ every single time.
Nail on the head right here.

Champ has been in the lab, but he hasn't really gotten anywhere. And Kadey and GB have just sealed his fate.

CurlyW

Do you ever go to Ignite on Mondays (tonight)? $10 to play anything from 6PM to 1AM, and $5 if you bring a console. It's a great time. I'm not there tonight because I'm playing MH3U with my wife, but I intend to go again soon. We should meet up. I don't care if you suck.

I actually dont :( I should go one of these days! Definitely we should meet up sometime!

Whoa, I had no idea NeoGaf people went to Ignite. That's pretty cool. Oh, and they actually let us stay even later than 1am. Last night they didn't shut the power to the TVs off (i.e. the only way to get us to leave) until around 3am. I'm pushing hard for Ignite to be the venue for Frosty Faustings VI in December/January as well, since the event has far outgrown Nickel City.

Dahbomb

After Final Round, Champ's world was falling apart around him. That loss really did something to him because it was not close. Even Shady or whoever was streaming at the time said it completely shattered him. Imagine putting all your time and resources into someone or something just to let the final result slip away from you. He streamed his training sessions, he talked about various matchups, he read up and watched videos, and he played hundreds of matches a week.
As people say, Champ always arrives early to a venue. He is very dedicated. But all of that is for naught as you lose to someone who plays a dozen other games and from a public standpoint doesn't really have as much as knowledge as you do about the game.
Now after a month or so later, Champ had the time to use Morrigan himself on a more serious level to see how she works and has started a campaign to get other people to use her so everybody can get an idea of how to fight her. They have done their homework and game time is soon. This is more important than EVO. EVO is neutral grounds and has a party atmosphere. NCR is your home turf, you are the king of your domain. You cannot let someone else come in and take what is yours. Your people will root for you. Everything is to go your way. Losing is not an option.
HELL YEAH!!!!

That's what I am saying too.

Champ has been in the lab, but he hasn't really gotten anywhere. And Kadey and GB have just sealed his fate.
Well you can add me to the list too then.

I really get tired of this logic. Wolverine beats EVERYONE up close. That's not an argument that a character is balanced.
I merely used that as an example there are other characters that beat him too. I was not talking about up close, I was talking about maneuvering yourself so that you can anti-air zip line. Nova, Magneto, Deadpool, Joe beat Spencer convincingly in fact Spencer vs Joe is a very bad match up. Spencer hasn't been an issue in the meta game for quite some time now, he can't even legitimately maneuver himself through Missiles and Soul Fists but I guess I shouldn't be using that example either because everyone loses to MorriDoom anyway. I mean I am fine with nerfing zip line or whatever but good Spencers always approach with an assist anyway... bad Spencers will do whatever they want and will get destroyed at tournaments (like they normally do).

d0c_zaius

didnt watch last night, but i will say, mobility is Not sir Arthur's issue. The majority of his road blocks for him are his normals. Movement is not were he needs the speed, IMO:

- Yea obviously Gold Armor crack hard kn..blah blah
- change st.M from 12f startup to 6f, cuz chaining L to it feels weird and its defensive auto block property would actually be put to use.
- change st.L from 6f to 4f startup and remove chain to itself
- all Jump normals 1f faster
- Cross sword(back.H) is useless beyond useless. cut startup in Half(comes out slower than ur average assist now) for start....
- Lance Charge should stagger on counter hit.

as for specials and stuff
- Shield counter should be 3f and should be able to hold it (Like Ammy Solar shields)
- Heavenly Slash(non-Gold) should soft-knock opponent
- make Ax throw 4f faster
- make crossbow as faster as Daggers on startup

yum

and make scythe toss better and firebottle OTG not miss when in gold armor in the corner

Dahbomb

Most of the suggestions they have are terrible. Oh and magus makes my brain bleed. Sometimes I just think he is secretly a godlike troll.
Nah man Magus was the most level headed there yesterday. He was the one who wanted 80K, Hidden Missiles, Foot Dive, Zero's LL nerfed but ShadyK was like no and used skill/execution as a reasoning.

Man someone should Twitter link these shenanigans to Viscant and tell him to come up with his own patch change list. I bet he would come up with a superior one. Although pro players usually have heavy bias and he will just end up buffing Wesker/Haggar so he can play the game like Vanilla again.

Whoa, I had no idea NeoGaf people went to Ignite. That's pretty cool. Oh, and they actually let us stay even later than 1am. Last night they didn't shut the power to the TVs off (i.e. the only way to get us to leave) until around 3am. I'm pushing hard for Ignite to be the venue for Frosty Faustings VI in December/January as well, since the event has far outgrown Nickel City.
I got invited by Patrick (Morrigan/Vergil/Strider player) via GFAQs about a month or two ago. It's a great venue. I would bring my system but it's a hassle to cart around.

Dahbomb

Once he is safely integrated into the MK community, Yipes will emerge at Big Two, patches will flow from capcom and Mike Ross will finally stop messing around and show his true Marvel skills. And it will be glorious.
14m9teh3pj2x.gif

A Marvel patch is more likely than Mike Ross showing his "true skills" any time soon.

Nyoro SF

I'm telling you Dahbomb, all you have to do is change your avatar to THE PATCHES WILL FUCKING RETURN and it will happen, of course. It is only logical.

Dahbomb

I'm telling you Dahbomb, all you have to do is change your avatar to THE PATCHES WILL FUCKING RETURN and it will happen, of course. It is only logical.
All jokes aside I am curious to see Capcom's strategy and schedule for fighting games for the future before really committing to even wanting a patch. Capcom hasn't announced a new game for quite some time and I will wait until E3/EVO to see what Capcom has up their sleeves for the foreseeable future.

Also patching is a double edged sword and if Capcom is not motivated enough to deliver a proper patch then they might as well leave it alone and let it die. I don't want a situation again where another Zero or Doom type character emerges (top tiers nerfed, high tiers ultra buffed)... it wouldn't solve anything. Also their method to nerf TACs might actually end up making them worse. It's just how Capcom works, I can't put absolute faith in guys who thought some of the stuff in the game was a good idea.

I really think Capcom should make an All Stars game and keep supporting it annually. They can release disc versions bi-annually for tournament scenes. Whatever the case they need to change their strategy from this generation.

It was funny on FGTV when they used Heroes and Heralds to try things like a Haggar airdash, and there were people in the chat going "Do they have a different version of the game? :O"

Lulubop

If a patch is not announced by SDCC, then I don't think it's gonna happen. I imagine Capcom is gonna have some next gen stuff to show and focus on in the upcoming months as well.

Dahbomb

If a patch is not announced by SDCC, then I don't think it's gonna happen. I imagine Capcom is gonna have some next gen stuff to show and focus on in the upcoming months as well.
I don't think announcing a patch at SDCC would have much of an impact, a patch is only for the hardcore community and that is the EVO crowd. ChrisG wins with MorriDoom, Capcom says "don't worry guys patch is on the way" and people see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Or something like that. My original bet was for EVO as well so if I was still on it, that would've been my last stand.

Dahbomb

Well if it has additonal character than SDCC would make more sense to me. Evo works fine too.
That ship has long sailed but if they were announcing characters then yea SDCC would be my bet too.

I will officially throw in my patch towel at SDCC (I think SDCC is after EVO). That's the last and only hope.

Also I am thinking of buying SFxT for PC... any good?

Horseress

That ship has long sailed but if they were announcing characters then yea SDCC would be my bet too.

I will officially throw in my patch towel at SDCC (I think SDCC is after EVO). That's the last and only hope.

Also I am thinking of buying SFxT for PC... any good?

Hell yeah

CurlyW

I got invited by Patrick (Morrigan/Vergil/Strider player) via GFAQs about a month or two ago. It's a great venue. I would bring my system but it's a hassle to cart around.

Yeah, understandable. I haven't brought mine for a while because of the semi-inconvenience, and because I keep losing HDMI cables somehow. Also, Pat is one of my favorite people on the planet. I'm going to try to find a way to get him on commentary for a few blocks at UFGT. I crack up at the idea of him and Viscant commentating Marvel pools.

Just read Kadey's post. This is ultra serious, isn't it? I'm half expecting Chris G to start getting cheers out of the crowd halfway through the fight like in Rocky IV's final bout lmao.

vulva

HELL YEAH!!!!

That's what I am saying too.

Well you can add me to the list too then.

I merely used that as an example there are other characters that beat him too. I was not talking about up close, I was talking about maneuvering yourself so that you can anti-air zip line. Nova, Magneto, Deadpool, Joe beat Spencer convincingly in fact Spencer vs Joe is a very bad match up. Spencer hasn't been an issue in the meta game for quite some time now, he can't even legitimately maneuver himself through Missiles and Soul Fists but I guess I shouldn't be using that example either because everyone loses to MorriDoom anyway. I mean I am fine with nerfing zip line or whatever but good Spencers always approach with an assist anyway... bad Spencers will do whatever they want and will get destroyed at tournaments (like they normally do).

In that case, my ten on Chris G, your ten on Champ?

He already did that in marvel 2 though

Nabs

Fucking hell I looked it up on Steam and it's $50. Anyone know where I can get it for cheap?

Just wait until they put it on sale again. They actually expect people to spend $70 bucks on the complete edition when the game is only $20 on console. At least give it a midweek sale on Steam.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I think I am done with fighting games altogether. Watched the stream this weekend and felt no hype at all. All gaming besides ios has pretty much gone out the window for me.

Need to figure out a way to sell my virtua stick high grade and my original street fighter 4 TE stick. I guess ebay is the best way to go. I doubt anyone will care about the stuff on craigslist.

Dahbomb

Is this a bundle with the DLC characters or just the game?
Just the game. Fucking ridiculous.
In that case, my ten on Chris G, your ten on Champ?
No my 10 on anyone aside from ChrisG winning.
Just read Kadey's post. This is ultra serious, isn't it? I'm half expecting Chris G to start getting cheers out of the crowd halfway through the fight like in Rocky IV's final bout lmao.
ChrisG won't get any cheers from the crowd. Anyone stomping his characters will be getting cheers particularly Norcal players.

I think I am done with fighting games altogether. Watched the stream this weekend and felt no hype at all. All gaming besides ios has pretty much gone out the window.

Need to figure out a way to sell my virtua stick high grade and my original street fighter 4 TE stick. I guess ebay is the best way to go. I doubt anyone will care about the stuff on craigslist.

I'm starting to feel the same way. I only get hype for Ibuki play or top 8 in AE.

I think I am done with fighting games altogether. Watched the stream this weekend and felt no hype at all. All gaming besides ios has pretty much gone out the window for me.
I think anyone who can decide to be done with fighting games by no longer enjoying stream watching has been done with them for a while.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I think anyone who can decide to be done with fighting games by no longer enjoying stream watching has been done with them for a while.
For a long time I got bored of playing them but enjoyed watching them so I thought that maybe the interest would return. It did not happen though.

Top Bottom