• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Feb 23 - Mar 1 | Radio Bryheem Presents: Kosmos

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
iCSpHORQmm0uH.gif

Week of February 23rd to March 1st, 2015.

Fighting Games Weekly is the weekly discussion thread for all things fighting games. News, events, streams, videos, players, drama, everything fighting game related.

Don't know what to watch right now? Check the FGCPros Twitch Group or Jaxel's Stream Viewer. If you want to watch multiple streams at once, you can use Jaxel's customizable multiviewer as well. If you are looking to see what events are coming up past this week, check out the FGC Event Calendar that our own Malice215 put together.

New to FGC-GAF is the FGC-GAF Index which lists the fighting games GAFers plays as a neat reference with some rough statistics to boot. To add yourself to the index, quote this post and use the survey link below. Please remember to save/bookmark the "Edit your response" link so you can edit your responses if/when you buy a game already on the list or a new game that releases in the future.

Last week's thread. An archive of previous FGW threads is available here.​

ibg8VoGHXS8BOI.jpg

ibcFc4B35Sbsvs.jpg

Last year, GAFer Shouta helped organize donations from various FGC-GAF members to send fellow member QisTopTier to EVO. Q suffers from Facioscapulohumeral Muscular Dystrophy, but has always wanted to go to EVO and we're looking to double up this year and send him to EVO again!

If you want to help out, you can check out the details and pledge on this spreadsheet.

ibsB0URLCQgTBQ.jpg

2 Cold 2 Furious [ Friday ] [ 5PM EDT | 2PM PDT ]
  • Now snowier and chillier than ever, 2 Old 2 Furious returns at Next Level.
Cannes Winter Clash [ Additional streams: 2, ] [ Friday ] [ 6:50AM EDT | 3:50AM PDT ]
  • One of France's biggest majors, featuring 5v5 USFIV and KOFXIII team tournaments in addition to solo ones.
  • This event continues through Sunday.
  • More information is available here.
Xanadu Monthly [ Saturday ] [ 3PM EDT | 12PM PDT ]
Last Man Standing 1.4 [ Sunday ] [ 1PM EDT | 10AM PDT ]

iUtpKu5GLNKRB.jpg

iKZ1PCw2wrHNF.jpg

Every week, FGW will spotlight one GAFer to get a better picture of their history with fighting games, their preferences, and much more. For this week's FGW Player Spotlight, we will be taking a closer look at #1 SNK fanboy, Fersis!

What fighting games do you currently play, what is your all time favourite and why?
Currently: Just a bit of KOF98 and XIII every now and then.

My favorite (Pretty hard to pick just one game) I would say: KOFXI, I know about the balance issues and all that but the game rocks.
What are your favorite mechanics from the current selection of fighting games and why? What are your least favorite and why?
Havent played any of the new games, sorry! [As far as least favourite goes] from the current selection I would say: KOF XIII Hyper Drive Mode, I don't like Custom Combos.
What got you into fighting games? Are there any other genre of games you play?
Art Of Fighting! As a little kid it blew my mind to see those super detailed huge characters that would get damaged through the fight. It even had a narrative, which I had never seen in SF2.

I'm pretty much retired from FGs nowadays. When the Next KOF is announced (Or Garou 2!) I'll be there day one though! Nowadays I pretty much only play Hearthstone, Diablo 3 and Battlefield.
What is your favorite fighting game character and why?
Iori Yagami: He looks cool, his moves are cool and his story is cool. He's not a fighter, he just wants to beat Kyo's ass before he dies !
Describe your style of play, and how do you play (local, online, etc.).
Rush I would say. Thank you Based SNK for giving grapplers tools to close in!

Used to spend hours and hours in arcades so I will go with: Local.
What do you feel are your biggest strengths and weaknesses as a player?
Strength: None, I've always been a pretty mediocre player
Weakness: All you can think of !
Best and worst moments in the your fighting game career?
Best: When I would beat a bunch of people in arcades.
Worst: Getting burnt out from working for EVO 2014 and losing my interest in the genre.
What do you want from future fighting games?
Legit online play, online training mode should be a standard.

And of course more Garou's and KOF's !
Who should be on next week's GAF Player Spotlight?
Has Tizoc been here already? Dude's makes those crazy cool posts with japanese footage. I watch some Garou every now and then!
Since Dahbomb strongly encourages pre-orders, what games do you plan to buy that have been officially announced?
Battlefield: Hardline, Bloodborne, Uncharted 4 and Ultra SFIV if the PS4 version supports PS3 sticks.

iUoeLsdCrHsYQ.jpg

Code:
02/24  Under Night In-Birth EXE:Late (NA) (EU: 02/20)
02/27  The King of Fighters 2002 Unlimited Match
04/15  Mortal Kombat X
2015   Dragon Ball Xenoverse
2015   Rivals of Aether
2015   Skullgirls Encore
2015   Under Night In-Birth (NA/EU)
TBD    Beast's Fury
TBD    JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Eyes of Heaven
TBD    Next The King Of Fighters Title (tentative)
TBD    Rise of Incarnates
TBD    Street Fighter V
TBD    Tekken 7
TBD    Tekken X Street Fighter
TBD    Yatagarasu: Attack on Cataclysm
TBD    Yatagarasu: Legend of Raven

ibqmKoeGZdF3Lr.jpg

iknYm15Cbb3g4.jpg

Super Desperation Radio [ 9:30PM EDT | 6:30 PDT ]
  • Hellpockets and various other members of the KoF community discuss KoF and happenings in the FGC.
Marvel Mondays [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • Out of the ashes of The BOX Arena, comes the San Diego FGC's newest organized weekly for UMvC3.
UltraChenTV: First Attack & Lv3 Focus [ 11:30PM EDT | 8:30PM PDT ]
  • Weekly FGC show dedicated to match analysis, teaching, commentary, news, debates, and more! Hosted by UltraDavid and James Chen.

i05jU9MTJVOrL.jpg

Kachitagari TV (JP) [ 9PM JST | 8AM EDT | 5AM PDT ]
  • Bon-chan, Kazunoko and Fuudo's new show, focusing primarily on SSFIV AE ranked matches but is branching off into other games as well.
Capcom UK presents WinnerStaysOn Sessions [ 8PM GMT | 3PM EDT | 12PM PDT ]
  • Logan Sama, organiser of the old WSO weeklys in London, invites some of London's finest to Capcom UK HQ for first to 5 sets in USF4.
NYC VF [ 8PM EDT | 5PM PDT ]
  • NYC VF crew presents VF5:FS tournaments casuals out of The Next Level arcade in Brooklyn.
The Break Weekly [ 8PM EDT | 5PM PDT ]
  • New Jersey's largest weekly featuring UMvC3 and Injustice.
The On Blast Show [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • JamessMK & DarKNaTaS host a raw and uncut weekly talk show discussing events in the FGC with various FGC personalities.
UltraChenTV: The Tuesday Show [ 11:30PM EDT | 8:30PM PDT ]
  • Weekly FGC show dedicated to match analysis, teaching, commentary, news, debates, and more! Hosted by UltraDavid and James Chen.
The Show That Sucks [ 1AM EDT (following day) | 10PM PDT ]
  • iPlaywinner hosts a weekly talk show featuring alpha stream monsters Harrison and Honzo Gonzo.

ibeoCQqpoXTtfu.jpg

Game Spot Versus KoF Casuals (JP) [ 7PM JST | 6AM EDT | 3AM PDT ]
  • KoF 1998UM, KoF 2002UM and KoF XIII C action from Japan.
TOPANGA TV (JP) [ 9PM JST | 8AM EDT | 5AM PDT ]
  • A weekly show featuring Mago, Tokido, and Momochi. They go over the tournaments they will participate and have participated in overseas and in Japan, as well as the general news in SF. For long periods of the year, there is a student-teacher session involving one of the 3 Topanga members taking a player under their wing and teaching them how to play SF. The show features rank matches (sometimes random char. matches) and ends with a 8 man online tournament featuring players around 4.5kpp such as Poongko, Inco, and more.
Next Level Battle Circuit [ 8PM EDT | 4PM PDT ]
  • NYC's biggest weekly at The Next Level Arcade in Brooklyn featuring SSFIV AE, UMvC3 and TTT2. If the Teamsp00ky link is not working, it is likely on the backup stream on Arturo's channel.
Wednesday Night Fights [ 12AM EDT (following day) | 9PM PDT ] [ON HIATUS]

ibuSEViyvaW6s2.jpg

HBTB Live [ 8PM EDT | 5PM PDT ]
  • Hold Back To Block hosts a weekly roundtable discussion of various happenings in the FGC.
Melee It On Me [ 9PM EDT | 6PM PDT ]
  • A bi-weekly Smash podcast discussing recent events, news and issues in the Smash community, hosted by Scar, Prog, Cactuar and Sheridan.
Ghost Battle Series [ 9PM CST | 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • Galloping Ghost Arcade presents an Injustice weekly out of Chicago.
The Fray [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • A weekly FGC talk show hosted by iPlaywinner, featuring a varying, ensemble cast of prominent members of the fighting game community.
ATP LIVE! [ 11PM EDT | 8PM PDT ]
  • Aris' new weekly show, discussing whatever he wants to! The format resembles old ATP podcasts.
The Runback [ 12AM EDT (following day) | 9PM PDT ] [ON HIATUS]
  • The UMvC3 and KoF XIII branch of Wednesday Night Fights also hosted at Super Arcade in Walnut, California.

iUsCIlMTxirgq.jpg

The Smash Break Bi-Weekly [ 6PM EDT | 3PM PDT ]
  • The Break hosts a new Melee bi-weekly to replace Rokunaya Bi-Weeklies which are ending.
Thank God It's Team Stickbug [ 7PM EDT | 4PM PDT ]
  • Arturo streams a BlazBlue and Guilty Gear bi-weekly out of Next Level arcade in Brooklyn.
KaoTV! (JP) [ 11PM JST | 10AM EDT | 7AM PDT ]
SALTY! [ 11PM EDT | 8PM PDT ]
  • A bi-weekly Skullgirls event hosted by members of the Skullgirls development team, often featuring preview builds of the game.

iDFzpxKo67pi.jpg

Rebel Up [ 7PM EDT | 4PM PDT ]
  • Super Arcade's anime bi-weekly, featuring GG, BB, P4A, SG, Gundam and older anime games as well.

ibviiDfGbYQe8.jpg

GGPO VanBats [ 4PM EDT | 1PM PDT ]
  • Weekly GGPO Vampire Savior ranbats streamed by GAFer Rotanibor.
Super Smash Sundays [ 4PM EDT | 1PM PDT ] [ON HIATUS]
  • SuperDojo and Team OXY partner up to create a new weekly for the SoCal Melee community, featuring doubles and singles.

ixwKqL3HDm2tG.jpg

On GAF we have various members that stream fighting games from time to time too. If you would like to add your channel to this thread, send me a PM.

ijZOOUzP40x43.jpg

Often, some fighting games can seem intimidating to players new and old. Below are a bunch of resources that may be of aid to new players, or handy as references.
  • Learn How To Play Fighting Games Free eBook from Shoryuken is a fantastic primer for new players to the genre.
  • Footsies Handbook is a guide to the potentially elusive, but integral part of doing well in any fighting game.
  • NeoGAF's Arcade Stick Thread is the place to go for questions about anything arcade stick-related.
  • Step Up Your Game is an editorial series by Justin Wong that covers a multitude of topics, notably focusing on strengthening your mental game and playing smarter instead of harder.
  • Tips for first time competitors will help you straighten out those nerves and expectations when you head out to your first tournament.
  • Domination 101 is almost a cult classic article in the FGC, which has Seth Killian telling us how he really feels about the idea of "cheapness" in fighting games.
  • Team-building Guide by our very own Karsticles, which helps make it easier to approach team-building in MvC games, and games with similar synergistic elements.
For a list of NeoGAF OTs for specific fighting games, as well as a list of non-GAF fighting game communities that may be of interest, check out the FGW Archive where these resources can be found on separate sheets at the bottom.

- - -

If you have any suggestions for the OP, please do not hesitate to post in this thread or (preferably) PM me to let me know.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Is K-Brad the new Floe of EG? You guys think he will get dropped this year sometime if he does not improve his results?

I don't get it...You get players like Snake Eyes that has no big "esports" sponsor, but is top 3 in the U.S easy.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
FGW is dying, we need a hype tournament to get the blood flowing. When's the first premiere event? FR? In March if I'm not mistaken?

Is K-Brad the new Floe of EG? You guys think he will get dropped this year sometime if he does not improve his results?

I don't get it...You get players like Snake Eyes that has no big "esports" sponsor, but is top 3 in the U.S easy.

Sponsors like personality and playing ability.

Tripon

What is Iori's back story?

he likes to jam on a saxophone and gets very crazy when prog rock bandmembers fuck with him

Nice interview, if a little short.

Kyo once tripped him by tying his legs together with a belt and he's held a grudge against him ever since.

Serious answer, both Kyo and Iori families were Orochi hunters until Iori family got mad or something and made a deal with the Orochi for some of its power that they used to fight against Kyo's family.

Tripon

M2K when he's doesn't give a shit is one of the more entertaining players to watch.

https://streamable.com/tzr2
http://www.twitch.tv/mew2king
Edit: Also, he's currently taking shots on stream for every two subs. This is currently what he said.

Edit: I'm going to try and edit this comment with great Drunk2King quotes
"I think I get Mango... He gets drunk and plays like crap, but he enjoys life. He enjoys freedom, I feel so free!!"
"I love Mango... tell Mango I love him... Oh my god, he's playing Ness too!? We're so alike."
"Prank call Mang0 that sounds like a wonderful idea!"
Oh my god now he's calling Mang0... Mang0 just subscribed to his channel. He's talking to Mang0's baby momma.
"No I can't call Leffen, that will take a million dollars a second."
"HI" (extremely loud scream that killed headphone users)
"I should drink more" -M2K "No, no, no, no" - people in the room. (M2K drinks anyways.)
"I want to suck you up." HewasplayingKirby
"I'm going to pound you."
"I didn't drink much.. I didn't drink much, and if you were a head you would be a stupid head."
"I was thinking I would change my name to Mewtwo Prince." - guys in the room with M2K. "There's already a Mew2Prince in my chat. You can be... Mew2Peasant." - M2K
"Press 1 if you love DBZ, press 2.. if you're a bitch." (Tons of people press both 1 and 2) "NOOO! Don't press 2! That means tons of you are bitches." (hangs his head in sadness.)
He typed this into chat one word at a time: "Ok I feel ..."lol."
"Look at meeeeeee, I'm a pancake."
Zero called M2K. This is a rough transcript. Zero, "I hadn't slept for 2 days." M2K, "YOU HADNT SLEPT FOR 2 DAYS!?!?!" (He is screaming at the top of his lungs.) Zero, "Yea, ok listen. I had a dream." (M2K screams) Zero, "Yea, I had a dream, and we were married." M2K, "OH MY GOD ZERO. I'M NOT GAY! I LIKE WOMEN! WHY WERE WE MARRIED?!?" ... Zero goes on to explain how M2K dies in his dream, and he has to revive M2K Full Metal Alchemist style. All the while, M2K is drunkenly screaming. (Conversation ended when M2K's phone died.)
"Dude I'm so happy I'm alive... Zero brought me back."
"Dude I'm.. life is a crazy adventure. I'm so happy I'm alive. If I was dead, I couldn't go on crazy adventures. I just want to let you know, I'm happy to be alive."
The chat was begging M2K to tell the story about losing his virginity since he started drinking. He has been ignoring all of that, but someone then comments that he won't say it because he is a virgin. His friend convinces him to look away from the stream and go back to playing smash. M2k, turning away from the chat after staring at it really hard grumbles, "I'm not a virgin, suck my balls...just kidding."
Oh my god, he's reading the trophy description for the Master Sword. I can't type how bad his speech impediment has gotten. "Magical weapon" was "Majestic weapon." He then announced he didn't feel good, went to the bathroom, and is possibly puking. Turns out he was peeing. Puke watch is officially on now.
Zero finally delivers us the virginity story of M2K: "Once upon a time, the master of the master sword waltzed into town and met this guy named Jason Zimmerman. He was king of an idiot, but that's ok." -M2K walks in and says, "Hey buddy, what are you talking about." Zero tells him, M2K is surprisingly cool with it, and tells him to continue. M2K's phone dies. The virginity story looks like it will never be told.
Edit number who the fuck knows: Ok, I have to eat and study so I can't keep updating. "I don't feel very good" is the last thing I heard M2K say.

FGW is dying, we need a hype tournament to get the blood flowing. When's the first premiere event? FR? In March if I'm not mistaken?
Huh? We have a surge of new posters thanks to Smash, Xrd, and DoA, in case you haven't noticed.

Serious answer, both Kyo and Iori families were Orochi hunters until Iori family got mad or something and made a deal with the Orochi for some of its power that they used to fight against Kyo's family.
Cool, and thank you.

Tripon

Speaking of trying to make Smash 4 more competitive, Tourney Locator, one of the larger Smash Tourney Organizations just did a discussion on how to regulate custom moves at tournaments. Kirby Kid, aka Richard Tyrell is also a Gaffer, proving that at least one of us actually tries to make his community a better place. ;P

Starts at 17:25, lasts over an hour.
http://www.twitch.tv/tourneylocator/v/3822493

Sponsors like personality and playing ability.

This is true, but Snake has more fans than someone like KBrad. So his personality isn't exactly carrying his performances.

@MarkMan23 · 8h 8 hours ago
The Beast is coming back in more ways than you can hope/dream for. :D

iAFurEtuTbHK6.gif

EC better get their shit together or stop complaining about Cosmos (Kosmos?) bopping them all the time now

Or they should just stop complaining period

EC better get their shit together or stop complaining about Cosmos (Kosmos?) bopping them all the time now

Someone should MAKE them stop complaining. Someone named Smedwicks.

After all, you took a game off of ChrisG didn't you? Some of the EC can't even do that.

Dahbomb

I don't think EC should complain when the only person who got the closest to beating him (and got 2nd at the tournament) was someone who hasn't competed in the game for a very long time.

MarlinPie takes a long break from the game and still put out more fresh movement and plays than most of the EC who play the game regularly.

This is true, but Snake has more fans than someone like KBrad. So his personality isn't exactly carrying his performances.

Like I honestly don't keep up how many people like players but KBrad is reaching Mike Ross status but can actually still play.

I don't doubt Snake eyes getting sponsors anytime soon though.

iAFurEtuTbHK6.gif

Daigo is going in on some guilty gear.

Vice

A lot of sponsorships aren't very good from what I've heard so it's often better to pass on them unless they're from one of the bigger players like MadCatz or EG. Kbrad knows the right people and is a pretty good player when he's not in character crisis mode. Plus, he's been focusing on Marvel quite a bit.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Do you just believe anything written on the internet?

You mean to tell me you don't have a doctorate in beef?!?!

People are going to whine regardless as an escape. They can't admit their free to morridoom so they bash it instead.

iAFurEtuTbHK6.gif

Markman better spill the beans for us or he's gonna feel my wrath.

Mr. X

That's arguable since the levels of Comp in SF could be higher than the comp he plays

That makes no sense and I should've expected something along the lines of "play the most popular fighter if you're so good". SF/MvC3 aren't somehow more skillful games, being a top player in another game doesn't make you middling on the fighting game talent chart.

He's a top player in UNIEL, MK9, Injustice, DoA5, and Skullgirls all at the same time. These games are drastically different from one another, that's non-specific FG talent. The young SF players mentioned are only notable in SF4 if they do play other games.

If only we had something to talk about besides tournaments. Fighting games maybe?
I tried once. I posted an article about the purpose of meter gain on hit and strategies around it from a fighting game dev/player. It was ignored to talk about The Order reviews.

Enzo, Cannes Winter Clash is this coming friday-sunday.

Markman better spill the beans for us or he's gonna feel my wrath.

@ultradavid 8h8 hours ago
@eliverling @MarkMan23 i hope this means daigo is picking other games back up again, makes me kinda sad to see him a solo game guy nowadays

‏@MarkMan23 8h8 hours ago
@ultradavid @eliverling David, that is why you are a top analyst. That's all I'll say though. I might not even be referring to that guy. ;)

That makes no sense and I should've expected something along the lines of "play the most popular fighter if you're so good". SF/MvC3 aren't somehow more skillful games, being a top player in another game doesn't make you middling on the fighting game talent chart.

He's a top player in UNIEL, MK9, Injustice, DoA5, and Skullgirls all at the same time. These games are drastically different from one another, that's non-specific FG talent. The young SF players mentioned are only notable in SF4 if they do play other games.

SonicFox has been playing Xrd. How high did place in that?

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
@ultradavid 8h8 hours ago
@eliverling @MarkMan23 i hope this means daigo is picking other games back up again, makes me kinda sad to see him a solo game guy nowadays

‏@MarkMan23 8h8 hours ago
@ultradavid @eliverling David, that is why you are a top analyst. That's all I'll say though. I might not even be referring to that guy. ;)

Well Markman was referring to the beast, and there is only one. He might pick up Xrd and we might see a GF with him and Nemo in it.

So haven't been following FGC but who's the new morridoom guy? Is he better than Chris G? Is Chris G even still playing? Is he EC or WC now? And why is EG still called EG? Didn't they sell to a company that was parented by Twitch?

Vice

So haven't been following FGC but who's the new morridoom guy? Is he better than Chris G? Is Chris G even still playing? Is he EC or WC now? And why is EG still called EG? Didn't they sell to a company that was parented by Twitch?

Kosmos is an NY player. Really good MorriDoom. No clue who is better.

Chris G still plays, but isn't as interested in traveling. A few weeks ago he was talking about being on team SoCal in a possible NorCal vs SoCal exhibition, so all signs point to WC.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
There might be another DOA event this week. I will check FreeStepDodge events later.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Kosmos is an NY player. Really good MorriDoom. No clue who is better.

Chris G still plays, but isn't as interested in traveling. A few weeks ago he was talking about being on team SoCal in a possible NorCal vs SoCal exhibition, so all signs point to WC.

I hope he isn't rusty, he finally needs to nab himself an EVO win in Mahvel. I doubt F. Champ, Justin or Flocker (fell off the radar big time) will be winning it. First two will definitely get to top 8 though.

Yeah, but dat 2 outta 3 though.

Seriously though I hope he really attacks the 2015 CPT hard unlike last year when he didn't even try until the end of the year. I hope we see him at Final Round(or other US premier events if he doesn't win FR) instead of waiting for the Japanese/Asian events.

Top Bottom