• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Feb 23 - Mar 1 | Radio Bryheem Presents: Kosmos

mbpm1

It was well acted and well thought out, but I've seen too many movies about the emptyness of the Hollywood dream for it to mean much to me and it didn't really bring much new to the table. Just felt like old hat to me.

Kimosabae

Banned
What IS Birdman? Why am I just now hearing about this? I just saw a poster ad for it at my gym and I was like... "The fuck?!".

Considering Harvey Birdman Attorney at Law is one of my favorite shows ever, it's a wonder how this slipped passed me.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
It's a very good possibility that it may have just went over my head :)
there was a lot to digest, I think - is there a difference between an actor and a celebrity, and where do we draw the line? how do we find meaning in success?

hitsugi

Daigo is not going to touch Marvel again... I think he's had enough of that. It's anime time.

inb4fuckanime.gif

mbpm1

What IS Birman? Why am I just now hearing about this? I just saw a poster ad for it at my gym and I was like... "The fuck?!".

Considering Harvey Birdman Attorney at Law is one of my favorite shows ever, it's a wonder how this slipped passed me.

It has NOTHING to do with that show, so don't expect it.

It's unnecessarily confusing in a trailer but basically it's not actually about any real superhero but instead the trails and tribulations of an aging white action star who used to play Birdman (a superhero movie in the universe of the movie made back in the 70s) and is now struggling to put on a play to prove he's a Real Actor/Artist, and some of the people around him. Known for its cool gimmick where it looks like it's filmed all in one shot.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
its ambitious and morose so naturally people who don't like it call it pretentious but I watch a buttload of movies and birdman was my favorite of last year. happy it won.

mbpm1

Goddamn....

You can basically extrapolate that scene to the movie as it's mostly made up of scenes like that with some transitioning.

One thing I did find pretty cool about the movie was how it was really a movie that was about a play and so was like a play in how it was structured.

I.e. a lot of good monologuing and characters' realizations driving the plot

The only movie I saw this year was The Theory of Everything. Pretty good since I only knew about Hawking's theories vs Hawking's family and daily life.

Man, Punisher is amazing and I am glad to see MarlinPie again. Cosmos looks like a force and his change of playstyle based on his character order and decision making was so good. I haven't seen too many people able to escape so many incoming.

Needlecrash

The only movie I saw this year was The Theory of Everything. Pretty good since I only knew about Hawking's theories vs Hawking's family and daily life.

Man, Punisher is amazing and I am glad to see MarlinPie again. Cosmos looks like a force and his change of playstyle based on his character order and decision making was so good. I haven't seen too many people able to escape so many incoming.

Punisher is really good. I've played him a few times before and he's just a solid player too. He's also pretty chill guy.

Seyavesh

punisher's hawkeye makes me very sad though
vs morrigan he looks so helpless when hawkeye has got real options vs her

i wonder if he has to fight that matchup a lot since it kinda looks like he doesn't

smurfx

get some go again
punisher's hawkeye makes me very sad though
vs morrigan he looks so helpless when hawkeye has got real options vs her

i wonder if he has to fight that matchup a lot since it kinda looks like he doesn't
i haven't watched house of crack in a while but i don't remember there being a serious morrigan user there. i think flux has a morrigan team but that isn't going to be good enough.

Malice215

What if Daigo is playing Hearthstone ??

Hearthstone is more random than Marvel is, so that's not happening.

Wonder if people will play a strict Vs. Type style with only Capcom characters. Or at least without Marvel.

I think if Capcom made a CVS type game with only Capcom characters, then maybe that could work. There's not enough people out there to care about a non MVC versus game unless someone puts $500K behind it.

.la1n

Wasn't there a rumor of Capcom and SNK working together again a while back? I'd imagine whatever that was it's probably dead at this point though.

Is anyone planning on picking up the Uniel American release? I'm tossing the idea around but I just recently started playing Xrd.

That makes no sense and I should've expected something along the lines of "play the most popular fighter if you're so good". SF/MvC3 aren't somehow more skillful games, being a top player in another game doesn't make you middling on the fighting game talent chart.

He's a top player in UNIEL, MK9, Injustice, DoA5, and Skullgirls all at the same time. These games are drastically different from one another, that's non-specific FG talent. The young SF players mentioned are only notable in SF4 if they do play other games.

hockey's my favorite sport, but only a million and a half people play it worldwide. the best hockey players in the world had to beat a million and a half other humans to get to the top. by contrast, a quarter of a billion people play soccer, meaning the best soccer players had to get by orders of magnitude more people to get to where they are. so the competition to be the best hockey player is shorter and likely less fierce than to be the best soccer player. certainly it's possible that the best hockey player is as athletic or talented as the best soccer player, but that's not likely given the numbers.

that's how i feel about games like injustice, mk9, doa, skullgirls, north american under night, etc: the player pools are so much smaller that winning a big tournament is a shorter, likely less competitive process. my favorite games since sf4 are mostly nrs and anime games. but i wouldn't expect that more than just a few of the best nrs and north american anime players could keep up with the best street fighter players, even just the north american ones.

i'm sure the same is true of other games elsewhere. in korea i would expect top tekken players to mostly be better than top sf players, in china i would expect top kof players to mostly be better than top sf players, etc. there's nothing inherently special about sf players. there are just more of them in most places, so the competition to win them is longer and likely tougher, so the people who get through that are likely stronger.

but anyway, sonic fox winning so many other games definitely makes me think he has the talent to keep up in street fighter if he wants. but he doesn't need to. i mean i hope people keep playing hockey, after all.

Dahbomb

I think if Capcom made a CVS type game with only Capcom characters, then maybe that could work. There's not enough people out there to care about a non MVC versus game unless someone puts $500K behind it.
A CVS game with only Capcom characters would get even less attention than a Capcom VS All stars game.

Tripon

Wasn't there a rumor of Capcom and SNK working together again a while back? I'd imagine whatever that was it's probably dead at this point though.

Is anyone planning on picking up the Uniel American release? I'm tossing the idea around but I just recently started playing Xrd.
I love those games, but that is a much different game than the Marvel games.

Shouta

Yeah, I think SonicFox has talent and could be successful in other games but that's not necessarily a given. Other games have more players and more talent in their pools meaning that the competition is going to be elevated as a result. All of the games he dominates in have small player pools and very little international competition as well.

He doesn't really need to expand into other games as long as he's having fun at what he's doing right now. No reason to go to SF if he finds his current stuff more fun.

the only thing to me would be is if the prize payout on sf4 be worth the time to put in. I guess for him, he probably doesnt really care that much for it

Anyone want to play anything with me? I wanted Smash, but I am getting desperate. :p

So now that I have a bit of time, I've set up a spread sheet for the Q fund this year.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CaY-ivbUOZpjdHwDw0ZLATnMDIWTfNMfNbYwzWwBvEg/edit#gid=0

Details are in the sheet. We should at least get registration done really soon to secure the passes.

I need to do that myself too but I still can't decide on games, lol.
PM me on how to pay when the time comes.

Top Bottom