• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Feb 23 - Mar 1 | Radio Bryheem Presents: Kosmos

Part of me has no problem with this. Some of the DOA 5 outfits are pretty revealing, even by DOA standards. I imagine this is an "image" thing.

Then again, I remember playing Mortal Kombat 9 at EVO 2011, and being told to not perform fatalities when I was asked to perform a match on stream. A couple of days later, REO's playing Mileena in her flesh pits costume doing fatalities to Perfect Legend during grand finals. 'Guess it's all dependant on if those tournament directors want to enforce the rules.

Fatalities weren't just allowed to be done during top 8, they were encouraged. I was actually told by Mr. Wizard to do them.

They probably were always allowed and the streamer saying you can't do them was speaking out of line. The intro had a graphic violence warning.

A4CoI98.png

alstein

Considering the amount of support Team Ninja has provided to the DoA community (pot bonuses, in game shoutouts to the scene and what not) and how much monetisation is based around costumes, I can imagine the devs not being too happy when the bans start effecting the game's bottom line. I don't care what anyone says, less exposure definitely won't be helping them in that regards.

Talk about biting the hand that feeds you and shooting yourself in the foot. If they didn't want DLC costumes they could just not have it on the consoles in the first place instead of drawing all this extra attention with the ban. Now they've got censorship opponents and moral guardians being drawn into the mix, shitting things up even further.

I think you're overdramatizing it.

The costumes are going to sell ban or no ban. Where tournies help DOA is in making DOA seem legit by good gameplay.

Fatalities weren't just allowed to be done during top 8, they were encouraged. I was actually told by Mr. Wizard to do them.

They probably were always allowed and the streamer saying you can't do them was speaking out of line. The intro had a graphic violence warning.

Huh. I remember being specifically told to not perform fatalities on stream. This was on day one pools of EVO 2011.

I should have done a fatality because I remember my match sucking.

Malice215

Considering the amount of support Team Ninja has provided to the DoA community (pot bonuses, in game shoutouts to the scene and what not) and how much monetisation is based around costumes, I can imagine the devs not being too happy when the bans start effecting the game's bottom line. I don't care what anyone says, less exposure definitely won't be helping them in that regards.

Talk about biting the hand that feeds you and shooting yourself in the foot. If they didn't want DLC costumes they could just not have it on the consoles in the first place instead of drawing all this extra attention with the ban. Now they've got censorship opponents and moral guardians being drawn into the mix, shitting things up even further.

A soft ban on racy costumes won't impact DLC sales, and it's really the people on the outside who are drawing the attention.

Yeah some of the DOA commentators were mentioning it during Winter Brawl. Apparently since Tecmo is putting money into this Battle Royal 2015 tour thing, the community came to Tom Lee with an agreement not to use any of the racy costumes (on stream at least).

They want DOA to be more legit... but just pretending like the pervy stuff doesn't exist won't make the problem go away. Good luck to them though!

We all know it exists, but that doesn't mean that they shouldn't do something to make the game more presentable. That's what this is all about.

it's a fighting game, it's not like sexualized female characters are less presentful than the other things going on. The viewer or player who's going to be effected by a costume doesn't exist. There will be no extra growth from banning costumes. It's silly. Just play your game

I'm probably in the minority but I'm down for TOs asking players to keep the sling bikinis off stream. What's wrong with the ninja girl though? ;w;

Edit: And no I don't really have a problem with the outfits, but it does help out in image some I think.

I'm guessing they just want to ban all costumes outright rather than engage in a debate about which costumes are presentable and which aren't.

number47

How about all fighting games just stick to the default costumes. Not only is it PC and its one less distraction. Also training room only.

How about all fighting games just stick to the default costumes. Not only is it PC and its one less distraction. Also training room only.

I hope you're kidding...

And banning costumes from DOA isn't going to change the games image. That's something the developers control not the players.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Tecmo is so anal about mods and costumes. The former you can't control no matter what you say or do and the latter is just naive on their part. You create a game with the idea of it being appealing to a certain crowd and yet you refuse the same crowd from using the costumes. LOL retarded.

Anyone have a cure to a Re:Cutie Honey intro earworm infection? That bassline won't leave my head ;_;

ps2 version is a little slower than arcade...i know its minor but the point is we still didnt get a console version of 3s worthy of being a tournament standard. half the og's who actually gave a shit about 3s refused to touch it.

AFAIK 3SOE runs really really close to arcade, and is pretty much the closest to it out of all not-actual-board implementations?

What twitch channel are you guys watching?

http://www.twitch.tv/gameslines

Top Bottom