• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Jan 12-18 | DaiGOAT

Not only did Eduardo find a way to burst in SF4, Daigo hard read this entirely unprecedented event and threw him out of it? I thought you guys were going overboard on the DaiGOAT thing, but I was wrong.

Wait wat

What the hell did I miss this weekend

Wait wat

What the hell did I miss this weekend

Daigo's comeback vs PR Rog was probably the most hype moments of the tourny for me.

It's not even like Rog cracked or was melting down, Daigo just had him downloaded while down by 3 matches. Daigo, then adjusted his style and played A LOT looser then proceeded to read everything Rog did and make an amazing come back.

Lol "retiring" from a videogame.

Wtf is going on these days.

I had to stop playing videogames to get a job in game development. Sometimes you just have to stop/take a break.
He probably wants to focus on IRL stuff.
I can't imagine anyone making a living/career off of fighting games.

fader

I had to stop playing videogames to get a job in game development. Sometimes you just have to stop/take a break.
He probably wants to focus on IRL stuff.
I can't imagine anyone making a living/career off of fighting games.

naw. He and F Champ has an amazing job at Nvidia so I agree. He probably wants to focus on his Real Life rather than his gaming career.

Malice215

Competing in fighting games as a sponsored player is going to take up more of your time than just playing fighting games on your free time as a hobby. There's nothing wrong with retiring or taking a step back, and he can always come back in the future, so best of luck to him.

You should be taking care of the IRL stuff first, video games second.

What did Rog do before fighting games? Could've sworn he had a really nice job. Maybe he's going back to his old field

Wasn't he like.. a timeshare person or DJ or something lol marketing?

Also.. I really wonder what Daigo was planning to do about Xian's Dhalsim. All I heard was that he practiced a lot of combos against Dhalsim.. but not necessarily a gameplan.

I know Xian's Dhlasim was rusty.. but he should've at least tried it once like he did switching to Elena.

I don't think PR Rog will truly disappear, but he'll definitely stop practicing and traveling so much for tournaments. We'll see the occasional appearance from him but I don't think he'll completely disappear. With that said, it's too bad one of America's best players will practically disappear from competitive play.

ismk

He has a Masters in Int'l Politics, I believe. (Or something similar.)

Apparently the EG contract renewal for the FG guys was a step down for Ricky/Justin/Rog, which is why we're seeing this out of Rog. Ricky already has/had a tech job for a long while, iirc.

Glad to see that Rog and Ricky have a career outside of the FGC. Hopefully we will see Rog taking names and kicking asses before he retires by the end of the year.

hitsugi

I know Xian's Dhlasim was rusty.. but he should've at least tried it once like he did switching to Elena.

I agree, and made the same observation back when it was happening. I don't understand why Xian didn't at least give it a go for a couple of games - if he pulled out even 1 win with Sim it could have completely changed the outcome.

Interesting that Eduardo's career came and went with the SF4 era. Gained the handle "PR Balrog" by being the dark horse of the first SF4 top 8 at Evo. And there won't be a PR Rog for the SF5 future.

He has a Masters in Int'l Politics, I believe. (Or something similar.)

Apparently the EG contract renewal for the FG guys was a step down for Ricky/Justin/Rog, which is why we're seeing this out of Rog. Ricky already has/had a tech job for a long while, iirc.

That's not surprising.

How is K-Brad sponsored by EG? I know he was winning tournaments a while back, but he's not really a guy who will win tournaments these days and isn't some personality in the scene that advertises EG all that much. Choco at least produces content on youtube and goes on jp gaming shows promoting EG. She's a big personality in the JP fgc.

If you think about Mad Catz, Daigo is the biggest face of the fgc. He can sell their products like crazy because of the amount of fans he has. You can already see this affect in Japan. There are animes and mangas that aren't even officially endorsed by Daigo with the madcatz logo on characters. Then there are the official mangas/books that deal with Daigo, Tokido, etc... Tokido and Mago are big jp fgc personalities and are part of Topanga. Topanga weekly shows have at least 4k viewers every time and then there are the official tournaments they run. They promote the product a lot. So they're not just reliant on tournaments to get the madcatz brand out there. Madcatz chose really good people to sponsor.

It seems like EG should choose better/bigger personalities to sponsor. Justin is a good one.

Oh man I read Rog's tweet so wrong.

This is actually his last year playing then he's retiring ;_______________________________;

I thought he was taking the rest of this year off then going to come back as a SSJ3..

say it aint so Rog~san.

I would have been really surprised to hear a player retire this year. This year has a lot of money up for grabs. It's not certain that the money will be there in 2016 so it would make sense to retire after this year. 2016 will be really dependent on how SF5 does.

Awwww!

i remember rolling my eyes when they banned him. smogon really lost my respect then.

Howabout that Gengar?

Yea, it's sounds...weird. I always smh at "retiring" from a hobby.

Sorry but collecting stamps is pretty intense.

Let's all just step back a minute from all the retirement drama to appreciate the fact that...

Big Blast Sonic was reuploaded back onto youtube.

Japanes Hetfield?

kasane

We finally got the thread title

m6ilMVo.gif
Daigo was asked how he felt when he won back then

He was like. " hah of course i would win "

jbug617

Banned
I think there was speculation that EG offered NuckleDu first and he turned it down because of EMP and K-Brad was next on their list.

Wasn't he like.. a timeshare person or DJ or something lol marketing?

Also.. I really wonder what Daigo was planning to do about Xian's Dhalsim. All I heard was that he practiced a lot of combos against Dhalsim.. but not necessarily a gameplan.

Daigo said that he didn't practice the Sim matchup for Capcom Cup despite knowing Xian used to main him. He practiced the matchup with Torimeshi Sim for Canada Cup though. It's also a ft7, so maybe Xian thought it wouldn't work this time.

It's not like Daigo is bad at the matchup. I always thought that Daigo was the best ryu in the Sim matchup. He still lost to YHC Mochi and Champ, but they were always extremely close matches. Other ryus looked really free in comparison.

Still weird people attribute fighting game player as a viable career.

It's still unsustainable unless you're Daigo. If you can get a decent amount of subscribers and donations on twitch, have a great sponsor, and win tournaments it's possible to get a decent amount of money, but it won't last unless the scene blows up.

Kimosabae

Banned
Such a strange time to quit taking fighting games seriously.

It's called having a vision. It may not be viable now, but the ideal is that it becomes something sustainable in the future. That's the esports social movement in general. It never comes to fruition if there aren't people willing to go all in.

Anyone content in orthodoxy that doesnt share that vision; the respectable thing would be to just stay out of the way.

NEO0MJ

It's called having a vision. It may not be viable now, but the ideal is that it becomes something sustainable in the future. That's the esports social movement in general. It never comes to fruition if there aren't people willing to go all in.

It seems that the scene has been trying to be big for over a decade and it still is pretty niche. The relatively new MOBA games on the other hand became huge almost overnight in comparison.

I'm literally just now starting to warm up to the guy after that. I still find it hard to click anything of his.

Never understood why some people don't like Max. I mean.. Ghost rider did leave a bad taste in many mouths
word to Viscant
but his videos are pretty good.

K.Sabot

Max's videos are good for what they are trying to do.

I was watching his vids since his Modern Warfare 2 vids and they've only gotten better.

Daigo was asked how he felt when he won back then

He was like. " hah of course i would win "

Daigo was Nuki's demon back then. Even in the interviews back then, Nuki would say something to the effect of "Well, it's Daigo." For example, after the VS tournament they interviewed Nuki and he said "I used many characters and I couldn't beat Daigo once. I switched to Bishamon and yet I still lost to Daigo."

That's why Daigo answered shit like "well of course I won." The Allpha 3 tournament was the same. Daigo was by far the best player at the time which is why the jp tv footage of that tournament focused on Daigo so much. I think that's why Nuki is also a big Daigo fan boy.

edit: On the topic of fg being a viable career, it might not be at the time, but it can still land you a career job in the gaming industry if you get your name out there.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Max's videos are good for what they are trying to do.

I was watching his vids since his Modern Warfare 2 vids and they've only gotten better.

Yup, Max's videos are pretty good at reaching out to casuals and showing stuff to them *for the most part*

Malice215

If you're trying to make a career off of solely winning tournaments, then that's an unviable career choice. But if you branch out into other areas, become a personality, and have other marketable skills, then that can open doors and make a career for someone.

Kimosabae

Banned
It's not the quality of the videos that made me dislike Max. Check Dry's post. It's the blatant hypocrisy I had an issue with, and the dude essentially used the competitive FGC to help with the content of his videos and provide viewers a sense of legitimacy that really wasn't there.

Busaiku

Daigo was Nuki's demon back then. Even in the interviews back then, Nuki would say something to the effect of "Well, it's Daigo." For example, after the VS tournament they interviewed Nuki and he said "I used many characters and I couldn't beat Daigo once. I switched to Bishamon and yet I still lost to Daigo."

That's why Daigo answered shit like "well of course I won." The Allpha 3 tournament was the same. Daigo was by far the best player at the time which is why the jp tv footage of that tournament focused on Daigo so much. I think that's why Nuki is also a big Daigo fan boy.

There was also that hentai with Nuki x female Daigo.

Having a vision not going to pay the bills. Just ask my old friends sharing their mixed tape. You are beholden to a game that waxes and wanes in popularity. Remember UMvC3?

This is what Maximilian said on this forum right before his youtube blew up.

He is a youtube creator / creative production guy sharing his hobby.

KidASeven or anyone that speaks Japanese can you confirm this? I saw it posted in the EH comment section(I know I know, give me a break here guys).

http://chigesoku2.doorblog.jp/archives/42832646.html

The dude who posted the link says that Topanga World League 2 is confirmed for April of this year and the line up is

Daigo
Sakonoko
Momochi
Infiltration
Xian
Xhaohai
Louffy
Bonchan or Kazunoko or Nemo
SnakeEyes or Smug

Plenty of Japanese in there already I'd like to see Snake or Smug get that 8th spot, but Smug more so to be honest. I don't think Smug stands a good chance of winning, but I want to see him get a chance to compete with the best and I think his character will provide for some really entertaining matches. Well that's if this is all true.

Top Bottom