• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Jan 12-18 | DaiGOAT

Sayad

I watch Max announcements/opinions/vlogs videos sometime, but I can't watch him playing, I understand why he does it like so, but I just can't watch people shouting while playing video games. I fully appreciate what he does though, and the FGC need more people like him.

That being said, I've seen his Xrd ranked video... Well, some of it.
1413067576873.gif

K.Sabot

I wish I bothered to play rank more than one day so I could have come across him xD

I met him in USF4 ranked one time and I have more views on my match than 90% of the actual tournament FGC Kappa

edit: oh wait it wasn't ranked it was actually endless, I have an entire video of my day 1 elena on youtube X_X

mbpm1

Rog has a Senior QA job with Nvidia, pays like 90K salary. He doesn't need fight money so much with that kind of job. Sad to see him go though

I wonder if Rog drank during the match with Daigo the way he did with pepedey lol

Rog has a Senior QA job with Nvidia, pays like 90K salary. He doesn't need fight money so much with that kind of job. Sad to see him go though

I wonder if Rog drank during the match with Daigo the way he did with pepedey lol

WHAT

Can I have that job please. My last QA job was for £13.5k :(

fader

oh didnt know he was a senior QA. knew he and FChamp were in a QA position tho

Busaiku

Haven't played any of the BlazBlue story stuff, but it's pretty clear that Guilty Gear power levels are like on another tier entirely, right?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Haven't played any of the BlazBlue story stuff, but it's pretty clear that Guilty Gear power levels are like on another tier entirely, right?

Not really, BlazBlue stuff deals with gods and immortals. Attacks and such that erase people from existence and so forth.

It's hard to compare the two because one is more generic raw anime power stuff and the other is more sci-fi crazy shit

.la1n

Senior QA is 90K at Nivida? According to who?

.la1n

Wow, didn't realize Nivida was doing so well they could afford to pay QA salary like that. I'm in the wrong line of work.

Kimosabae

Banned
Last time I checked, most people in the competitive FGC "pay their bills" just fine. no one is homeless. That is such garbage. The point is that people should be able to pursue whatever dream they want, as long as they're happy doing just that and not hurting anyone else.

Have fun "paying your bills" or whatever-the-fuck that's supposed to mean.

Gotta switch to Rog and be Puerto Rican first

Internets. I was pretty startled too.

So Rog's educational background is in engineering and not politics, then?

I just don't believe that that is what PR does and that's how much he makes.

Shouta

You don't need a background in engineering to be a QA engineer. It helps a lot but it's not a requirement if you have the mindset to be a QA.

vulva

Last time I checked, most people in the competitive FGC "pay their bills" just fine. no one is homeless. That is such garbage. The point is that people should be able to pursue whatever dream they want, as long as they're happy doing just that and not hurting anyone else.

Have fun "paying your bills" or whatever-the-fuck that's supposed to mean.

So Rog's educational background is in engineering and not politics, then?

I just don't believe that that is what PR does and that's how much he makes.

A job like a Senior QA doesn't require any specific educational background. My girlfriend is working as a project manager for a software development studio and her educational background is in anthropology. Often times educational background dictates very little, but how you apply yourself while having some form of demonstrable evidence that you can learn is what will get you to move ahead in a career. He could have worked his way to that position in any number of ways, including his notoriety as a competitive gamer.

hitsugi

The important thing for those going "OMG QA PAYS HOW MUCH?!" is to highlight that NVIDIA's Senior QA positions are very much engineering-related and require you to be very capable in that field.

You don't need a specific degree to get into it, though. Hell, I know software engineers at Blizzard with math degrees. Granted, those two are more interchangeable than politics and engineering, but still.

Alot of people have jobs that don't pertain to their degrees.

And dev qa, normal functional qa and qa engineers are all very different.

mbpm1

Rog said he was in that position on stream himself so unless he's lying that's where he's at. Regardless, he made it basically. Jealous af

Kimosabae

Banned
I get that there's little correlation between degrees and jobs in the modern era. It's just that when I see "engineering" in a job title, I tend to think there's a different standard there.

You don't need a background in engineering to be a QA engineer. It helps a lot but it's not a requirement if you have the mindset to be a QA.

Like what? I know very little about what QAs do in general, honestly. I know it means "Quality Assurance", but what does that entail, exactly?

Shouta

It depends on what area you're working in. For example, a QA Engineer in software might be tasked with testing core functionality of a software like sorting algorithms or to see if prompts are coming up all in the right place. They'll find bugs in that and then work with developers to solve the problem. A standard QA might work on the final build of a piece of software to look for errors that a user might come across in standard productivity and the like and then report it to the QA Engineers to investigate and fix, etc. A hardware QA might put equipment through long tests to determine the stability of the build or to confirm that the piece is functioning correctly, etc.

Being a QA is about looking for issues from different angles, figuring how they tick, and then how to fix it. That is the core skill set. It's not a "glamorous" job like a software developer but it's a huge necessity in any industry.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
He's retiring because Nvidia is gonna sponsor him.

lol

Best of luck to PRrog, and I hope he enjoys his rest. He's provided loads of entertainment over the years.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
It's not the quality of the videos that made me dislike Max. Check Dry's post. It's the blatant hypocrisy I had an issue with, and the dude essentially used the competitive FGC to help with the content of his videos and provide viewers a sense of legitimacy that really wasn't there.
I have no idea where you'd get this impression.

What is this required sense of legitimacy and how do you measure it? Dude makes content for games and game genres he likes and applies whatever knowledge he has in a way that people who are unfamiliar can understand. It's not really more complex than that.

Seyavesh

Not really, BlazBlue stuff deals with gods and immortals. Attacks and such that erase people from existence and so forth.

It's hard to compare the two because one is more generic raw anime power stuff and the other is more sci-fi crazy shit

its cool though cuz sol badguy is the ultimate mary sue author insert

and theyre so self aware of this that the villains' plan in xrd is to avoid him entirely

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
its cool though cuz sol badguy is the ultimate mary sue author insert

and theyre so self aware of this that the villains' plan in xrd is to avoid him entirely

Yeah story wise I like Ragna as a main character a lot more.

I think BB's story is better overall

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
I have no idea where you'd get this impression.

What is this required sense of legitimacy and how do you measure it? Dude makes content for games and game genres he likes and applies whatever knowledge he has in a way that people who are unfamiliar can understand. It's not really more complex than that.

Nailed it. A couple years back my channel and it's following peaked because I focused so much on the competitive FGC and GETTING THE GUUDEST at a specific game, like Marvel. After dropping that, I started to cover games outside the 'Only Capcom Variety', and actually began to enjoy playing fighting games a lot more. Was perfect because KI got announced and there was a lot of stuff I wanted to explain why it was so good back in the day. Growth got a lot better, and I was happier with the little time I had to play the games.

Long story short, I focused a lot of my content more around entertainment and less about being on hardcore tutorials and FGC news(there's already thousands of videos people trying to prove hot 1337 they are), while not completely excluding the later. Now I only make vids about games I'm interested in, and convey to an audience that didn't even exist a year ago, why it's awesome and why they should check it out. Also, Benny.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
If he were serious about that kind of job I can see why he is retiring. That position takes a lot of commitment and you can't just take off work to travel to a tournament all the time.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Of course he did.

You're doing God's work, Max. I won't click links with your name in it, but I appreciate what you do.

NP, and I appreciate that attitude. It's nice to have people just not click the free content, instead of reading a 200+ comment page on how much people hate it and can't seem to ignore it. I gave this advice to Chensor when he was dealing with a lot of gripes from people, 'It's impossible to like everything. There's actually people out there who -hate- Back To the Future.'

Nailed it. A couple years back my channel and it's following peaked because I focused so much on the competitive FGC and GETTING THE GUUDEST at a specific game, like Marvel. After dropping that, I started to cover games outside the 'Only Capcom Variety', and actually began to enjoy playing fighting games a lot more. Was perfect because KI got announced and there was a lot of stuff I wanted to explain why it was so good back in the day. Growth got a lot better, and I was happier with the little time I had to play the games.

Long story short, I focused a lot of my content more around entertainment and less about being on hardcore tutorials and FGC news(there's already thousands of videos people trying to prove hot 1337 they are), while not completely excluding the later. Now I only make vids about games I'm interested in, and convey to an audience that didn't even exist a year ago, why it's awesome and why they should check it out. Also, Benny.

Benny Maximum CPM.
I think your videos are great and you got me into understanding & loving marvel.
Your hype makes me hype. Still not interested in KI but I think your video playing MegaMan in Smash helped my co-worker immensely in terms of making a gameplan.

Oh Kimo...
mayerandkanyehug.gif

I used to be that way about CounterStrike.

Korigama

I'll take Sol over Ragna, particularly after Xrd. I stopped taking BlazBlue's story seriously after Continuum Shift's villain sue overload. Haven't gotten around to Chronophantasma, but apparently I might like that a bit better.

Top Bottom