• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 9-15 | Q Bomb is Top Tier

Compbros

A Capcom All-Stars game seems like much less of a headache. With how much Marvel supposedly lorded over them while making 3 plus it potentially not moving enough units to justify all the license stuff and dealing with Marvel I don't see why they'd be in a rush to make 4.

Kumubou

A Capcom All-Stars game seems like much less of a headache. With how much Marvel supposedly lorded over them while making 3 plus it potentially not moving enough units to justify all the license stuff and dealing with Marvel I don't see why they'd be in a ruse to make 4.
Am I the only one that thinks that a Capcom vs. Capcom type game would have even less hype behind it than something like SFxT? I can't see anyone outside of the core market for fighting games even caring. It's a game full of characters anyone who started playing videogames in the last decade hasn't heard of!!! Get hype!!!!!

I thought there already WAS a Capcom All Stars?

K1WrBoI.png

Compbros

Am I the only one that thinks that a Capcom vs. Capcom type game would have even less hype behind it than something like SFxT? I can't see anyone outside of the core market for fighting games even caring. It's a game full of characters anyone who started playing videogames in the last decade hasn't heard of!!! Get hype!!!!!

Capcom still has franchises that are well-known/selling to the masses such as Street Fighter, Resident Evil, Phoenix Wright, Dead Rising, Monster Hunter, Devil May Cry, etc. Not to mention series that have been released recently but weren't exactly smashes like Asura's Wrath, Lost Planet, Remember Me and Dragon's Dogma. The Onimushas, the Power Stones, the Rival Schools, the Dino Crisis', that's for the older crowd. Capcom is still putting out games that have household names and recognizable characters.

I think the lack of magneto etc. would hurt the game's popularity a lot.

casperOne

I've given up on Firefox Sync and Siphon and about 10 other nebulous solutions I've tried that bite me in the ass somewhow.

Chrome.

BTW, I've had this post open on my to-do list to reply to but I never got around to it because this thread and week blew up so fast. Just wanted to say that I wasn't really criticizing, but looking for clarification for what OFL is and where it's going.

I never took it as criticism. Thank you for clarifying, but it was absolutely not necessary. =)

I think I have a slightly clearer idea of the direction you're going (and what it is right now with respect to providing tools that augment different parts of the community). Hopefully whatever the next "crowning jewel" is, it will have a significant interactive component with the community.

So, this depends on how you define "interactive"; it will be extremely visible to the community, but not necessarily feedback based.

Something cool I've been thinking about is a live voting/interaction app, sort of like how you guys did with Capcom Cup. Recently, I've seen theatres have quizzes and polls that you can interact with on your phone while you're waiting for a movie to start, and I think that would be an awesome thing you could implement for people at the venue and at home to use to feed commentators and streamers information to use before the next match goes up. Providing a toolset or an API to TOs and streamers (maybe even to directly integrate into the stream) to use would be cool, and perhaps one that doesn't force them to use twitter either.

We haven't exposed a public API for that, but it really wouldn't be difficult to do. Getting interaction with phones wouldn't be too hard; for us, we segregate out votes by source (right now, Twitch and Twitter). Texts would just be another source, the unique identifier for the user being the number the text came from.

Although I don't think you meant phones specifically, it's definitely a channel that should be explored.

For some reason, American Idol popped into my mind. The outcome and weight is completely different, but I think it's definitely a way to get people involved in-house.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Casper, we can become pioneers of the FGC as we know it with apps! Just give me a couple months to learn some more code ;_;

Riposte

I'm of the opinion Capcom vs. Capcom should be one of those 3D arena fighters (although I guess Anarchy Reigns could be argued to be something else and I want it to be most like that) than a traditional 2D fighting game.

Whaaat? Capcom has tons of popular IPs. You can't tell me the game would not be a huge hit with a combination of:

Street Fighter
Darkstalkers
Monster Hunter
Resident Evil
Megaman
Ace Attorney
Dead Rising
Devil May Cry
Breath of Fire
let me pretend

Sure, most of these franchises had representation in Marvel, but there's plenty of demand left for more. Especially if it's made for the PS4/XB1. A roster that's half rehash doesn't matter if there are shiny new graphics.

what pikachu news did i miss? smash?
It's a reference to the Smash tournament. When fan favorite cards were asked for, some people put Pikachu's card up no matter who was playing. Eventually Geoff got tired of it and said "Put down your Pikachus". I think the entire stream viewership laughed.

Dahbomb

I would also add that IPs like Sengoku Basara and Onimusha have some decent characters they can put in a fighter. Having a character like Date Masamune or Yukimura would do well for your fighter (the series has a decent enough following in Japan).

Capcom also has some pretty niche games with characters that would be perfect for a fighter:

Nilin from Remember Me (a ton of moves and abilities, perfect for a VS game)
Asura's Wrath
God Hand
Chaos Legion (if they can get the licensing thing sorted out)
Red Earth

It's not just about brand recognition it's about making a fighter will cool looking fighters and characters. It would also serve as a nice promoter for Capcom's lesser known games. If you played Gene in a Capcom All Stars that might push you towards playing Godhand.

It's such a no brainer for Capcom really but again... this is CAPCOM we are talking about they don't do the obvious stuff.

casperOne

Casper, we can become pioneers of the FGC as we know it with apps! Just give me a couple months to learn some more code ;_;

I'll be waiting =)

Also, keep in mind that the end goal is the experience that you're giving, not the app. That's always the key to a successful offering.

Riposte

Nina (from IV?) shows up in Dead Rising as a costume and technically they do have a new game coming out for the IP (a numbered sequel even!!). There are probably a few less likely candidates than that franchise.

MrDaravon

I would also add that IPs like Sengoku Basara and Onimusha have some decent characters they can put in a fighter. Having a character like Date Masamune or Yukimura would do well for your fighter (the series has a decent enough following in Japan).

Capcom also has some pretty niche games with characters that would be perfect for a fighter:

Nilin from Remember Me (a ton of moves and abilities, perfect for a VS game)
Asura's Wrath
God Hand
Chaos Legion (if they can get the licensing thing sorted out)
Red Earth

It's not just about brand recognition it's about making a fighter will cool looking fighters and characters. It would also serve as a nice promoter for Capcom's lesser known games. If you played Gene in a Capcom All Stars that might push you towards playing Godhand.

It's such a no brainer for Capcom really but again... this is CAPCOM we are talking about they don't do the obvious stuff.

Holy shit I forgot Chaos Legion even existed. I think I played that game for like 2 hours, I just remember it being really weird. Also just reminded me of Nanobreaker (?) which I remember being equally crazy for different reasons, but I think that was a Namco game?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Any big events next week? SEAM?

SRK is increasingly becoming useless for me as a one stop resource for what tournaments are coming up.

Nina (from IV?) shows up in Dead Rising as a costume and technically they do have a new game coming out for the IP (a numbered sequel even!!). There are probably a few less likely candidates than that franchise.
Did you post that just to hurt me? To knee me in the nuts, punch me in the face, and then kick me onto the ground?

casperOne

Any big events next week? SEAM?

SRK is increasingly becoming useless for me as a one stop resource for what tournaments are coming up.

SEAM is the only one I can think of offhand at the moment.

Week after is CEO.

Then Curleh NorCal after that.

Then Evo.

Then... Does it matter?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

The fact that the Capcom-half of UMvC3 is fantastic, and that there are a ton of popular characters/properties they didn't even touch, shows that you might be alone.

Kumubou

Regarding Capcom's IPs in an in-house fighter... they definitely have enough to make a game like that work -- I think the issue is that for the more casual buyers (aka the people who are going to get the game over 1m units sold), it's going to look like Street Fighter characters, Resident Evil characters and a bunch of whodats.

---

enzo: There's also MLG Anaheim, which will have tournaments for SSBM, Injustice and KI. The SSBM tournament looks to be foolishly deep, in particular.

Astarte

Holy shit I forgot Chaos Legion even existed. I think I played that game for like 2 hours, I just remember it being really weird. Also just reminded me of Nanobreaker (?) which I remember being equally crazy for different reasons, but I think that was a Namco game?

I just remember fighting a giant dick and stopping the game. That and the fantastic engrish songs made me realize Chaos Legion is special

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Regarding Capcom's IPs in an in-house fighter... they definitely have enough to make a game like that work -- I think the issue is that for the more casual buyers (aka the people who are going to get the game over 1m units sold), it's going to look like Street Fighter characters, Resident Evil characters and a bunch of whodats.

Well, SFIV outsold Marvel by a wide margin with just SF characters. I know, I know, it was the revival of the series, but just Street Fighter and Resident Evil are powerful properties.

Even within the last few years Capcom can use Lost Planet, Devil May Cry, Dragon's Dogma, and Dead Rising. Those are series that have had 1million+ sales in the past half decade or so. Capcom's properties are strong. They're not Marvel strong, but they're still strong.

And nostalgia plays a giant role in crossover titles. Just look at Smash. Characters making a resurgence from the 90's or earlier isn't uncommon.

Rhapsody

Banned
If only BoF was one of those franchises that could continue to exist on handhelds and not just some iOS game that looks nothing like the previous entries. If the iOS game was more faithful like Square's Rise of Mana, it wouldn't have been as bad for the fans.

Compbros

Within the last 5 or so years Capcom has released: SF, Lost Planet, Phoenix Wright, Remember Me, Dragon's Dogma, Resident Evil, Dead Rising, Mega Man (in some form), Monster Hunter, Asura's Wrath, Sengoku Basara, Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective, Devil May Cry, Strider, and (Still to come) Deep Down. I think people may know more than just SF and RE.

Rhapsody

Banned
Within the last 5 or so years Capcom has released: SF, Lost Planet, Phoenix Wright, Remember Me, Dragon's Dogma, Resident Evil, Dead Rising, Mega Man (in some form), Monster Hunter, Asura's Wrath, Sengoku Basara, Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective, Devil May Cry, Strider, and (Still to come) Deep Down. I think people may know more than just SF and RE.

How many of those series will get casual buyers to buy the game though? I just don't see some of those series getting fans to buy a game from a genre they usually won't get. Most of those series are just pluses for those that would already want to buy it, imo.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I'll be waiting =)

Also, keep in mind that the end goal is the experience that you're giving, not the app. That's always the key to a successful offering.

Oh then it should be even more fun!

SEAM is the only one I can think of offhand at the moment.

Week after is CEO.

Then Curleh NorCal after that.

Then Evo.

Then... Does it matter?

God damn, Summer Jam has to be something... Well with how hanged over and tired some of you guys will be after EVO, I can see why nothing else matters.

Compbros

How many of those series will get casual buyers to buy the game though? I just don't see some of those series getting fans to buy a game from a genre they usually won't get. Most of those series are just pluses for those that would already want to buy it, imo.

It's a culmination, no one is gonna buy it just for, say, Phoenix Wright characters but if they like 4 or 5 Capcom series then why not? Add a story mode, fun gameplay for when friends come over, maybe a mini-game like Puzzle Fighter, some good unlockable/side content, call it a day. I'm sure people bought MvC for Marvel despite not being FG fans, I'm sure people bough MK for the blood and gore despite not being FG fans.

Hell, look at the original Smash Bros. Who is Ness? Who is Captain Falcon? Who is Samus? That's, what, a fourth of the roster people may not know? People still bought it because it was fun and pitted some of people's favorite Nintendo characters against each other.

You're not the only one. I was actually pretty hype for SFxT but it would definitely be A LOT less hype than a versus series with Marvel. That being said, I would still be hype for it only if it was the successor to UMVC3 but I highly doubt that game players of other genres would get hype to see their character from another game in a fighting game.

Dahbomb

RE, MH, SF and DMC are enough of a casual pull. If those games can pull 5 million casual fans collectively then this game could be a hit. And of course PW and Sengoku Basara in Japan.

I would say if this game can get over 3 million then it would be a solid success for Capcom.

In the end it's all about presentation and the product itself. Tekken and SF are huge IPs collectively but if the product they are in isn't compelling then the game isn't going to succeed.

Compbros

You're not the only one. I was actually pretty hype for SFxT but it would definitely be A LOT less hype than a versus series with Marvel. That being said, I would still be hype for it only if it was the successor to UMVC3 but I highly doubt that game players of other genres would get hype to see their character from another game in a fighting game.

Disagree, do you know how hype people got over Phoenix Wright?

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

Marvel is still relevant, even without a patch... Capcom just kill the game at EVO so we can all move on with our lives. No open-ended answers, just say a patch will never happen and the series is dead.
Then to announce its new successor, MvC4. Why do I do this to myself?!?!

Top Bottom