• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 20-26 | MRN died so Guilty Gear could live!

iBeyQradj3HKz.gif

Dahbomb

This gif perfectly encapsulated that set.

Not a single fuck was given on that day.

I know it would be weird to analyze that set but that entire set was a big game of chicken. Since in the case of armor and invincible moves the move to come out second wins, it was a game of chicken of who would fold first and press the button. The other player would then react to it with the same move and win the trade. It looked random and dumb but it was like MVC2 counter calls and punishes. What I never understood was Fooblat calling Wesker assist as a neutral which caused him to get birthdayed so often.

vocab

jon-walkf.gif

Thoughts for ECT

Injustice finals was great. Tom Brady's use of that electric stage intractable was amazing.
SFIV was just weird. Gridman had it. Thawk pick was dumb. Wong played the same as he always does, and won.
Marvel 3 was good. Glad flocker pulled through. Fchamp is still retarded for being sent into losers for playing his phoenix team, and the amount of chokes, and fuck ups was just miserable. Wong played really good. He almost had another moment. I think Frank West not being leveled, and akuma are hurting him. It's crazy that he can get by with some weak characters and give the top a run for their money. Also, MarlinPie was there? Had no idea. Man he fell hard.
Didn't watch sfxt. Good job to arturo for winning. Two tourneys in a row? Max TPM.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The engine is not great and I don't care for it. I would have loved to see if Id tech 5 could run a fighting game well, but that will never happen.
Why would a fighting game need id Tech 5? Ain't loading no megatextures. What's wrong with Unreal, ESPECIALLY for making fighting games?

Shit runs like gravy, is easy to develop for and doesn't buckle under pressure unless you put mass amounts of high res textures and detailed models on the screen. It's the most used engine out there for good reasons. Fighting games don't demand as much as some of these other action adventures. Allow for a lot more smokes and mirrors to maintain a stable framerate too.

Shit runs like gravy

It's pretty poorly optimized on consoles (especially PS3), and MK9 was rather spectacular because NRS managed to squeeze 60fps out of UE3.

Again, I think most UE3 games looking brown and stupid is not always the engine's fault, and GGXrd definitely won't be brown and stupid, but it's not wrong to have reservations.

Joule

No one is gonna want to watch old Guilty Gear anymore at this rate. :(
I love watching Guilty Gear!

Name another good Anji besides Zidane, Lime-key and AGF. I'll be ultra thankful.

I've probably got like seventy-five videos bookmarked and the average has to be something like thirty minutes long. That is only the stuff I've bookmarked. :p

I think Taka's Anji is pretty good. He also plays at Mikado like AGF.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aCs4ZTFH5Y&t=3m44s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XD8TIxNi_4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox5nm-_bZc8&t=9m37s (Bonus with Hiro's Anji)

Back in the Slash days I think Domi's Anji was the best? Dem Orb RC combos are so cool.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgTmGb-lhVY&t=24m12s

vocab

I don't like UE3 either, but it's more of the technical issues like streaming textures, and general aesthetic of your average UE3 game. Mirrors Edge is on UE3. GG will be fine.

Allow for a lot more smokes and mirrors to maintain a stable framerate too.

Depends on the dev. Last remnant was UE3. What a disaster on console.

Dahbomb

I need links to best stuff from ECT. I missed the whole event really.
Lol wow...

I liked the following stuff:

Fooblat vs KBR FT15
MVC2 RR 4 player exhibition
Neo vs Winrich (especially the crowd reaction angle)
Justin vs Moonz Top 32 match
Injustice top 4
UMVC3 Top 8
SFxT Top 4

Overall great tournament great experience.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So if I have this straight, currently ASW is working on:
- BBCP
- GGXrd-SIGN- (god what a stupid name)
- New Next Gen Fighting Game IP

Sounds a lot like BBCP is sent to die IMO. Agreeing with whoever proposed that in the last thread. Hey guys here is *another* update to BlazBl- oh btw we're bringing back the series our core fanbase across all of our games cares about the most and it looks gorgeous, btw we're also making another new game with a new IP that isn't another BlazBlue update.

It's pretty poorly optimized on consoles (especially PS3), and MK9 was rather spectacular because NRS managed to squeeze 60fps out of UE3.

Again, I think most UE3 games looking brown and stupid is not always the engine's fault, and GGXrd definitely won't be brown and stupid, but it's not wrong to have reservations.
Okay yeah I forgot about PS3 issues. But with UE4 being built with next gen consoles in mind and them sharing a PC architecture, I think it'll be only better.

The UE3 games getting shit for their chosen art is never their fault. I always point the finger at lazy/uninspired devs.

I love watching Guilty Gear!

I think Taka's Anji is pretty good. He also plays at Mikado like AGF.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aCs4ZTFH5Y&t=3m44s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XD8TIxNi_4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox5nm-_bZc8&t=9m37s (Bonus with Hiro's Anji)

Back in the Slash days I think Domi's Anji was the best? Dem Orb RC combos are so cool.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgTmGb-lhVY#t=24m12s
Oooooh

Thanks for the footage. I'm gonna see butterflies and orbs in my dreams tonight!
- BBCP

Sounds a lot like BBCP is sent to die IMO. Agreeing with whoever proposed that in the last thread. Hey guys here is *another* update to BlazBl- oh btw we're bringing back the series our core fanbase across all of our games cares about the most and it looks gorgeous, btw we're also making another new game with a new IP that isn't another BlazBlue update.
They don't care so long as BB fans and ASW fans buy it and play online for 16 months in the US until Xrd drops. What they care about is keeping the scene in Japan fresh. Did you watch Arc Revo? BlazBlue sells out over there and not just because of animu. It actually gets play just fine even with +R and P4A out.

They gave up on trying to make BB a big deal in the West a long time ago. Now it's just about making a good fighting game.

Why would a fighting game need id Tech 5? Ain't loading no megatextures. What's wrong with Unreal, ESPECIALLY for making fighting games?

Shit runs like gravy, is easy to develop for and doesn't buckle under pressure unless you put mass amounts of high res textures and detailed models on the screen. It's the most used engine out there for good reasons. Fighting games don't demand as much as some of these other action adventures. Allow for a lot more smokes and mirrors to maintain a stable framerate too.

Why not?. I would like to see Id tech 5 used but as I said it's a pipe dream, As for it making fighting games which I'm sure it can do, I don't care for it I'm not a fan of the engine.

- BBCP

Blazblue is getting an anime though.

- BBCP

Okay yeah I forgot about PS3 issues. But with UE4 being built with next gen consoles in mind and them sharing a PC architecture, I think it'll be only better.

The UE3 games getting shit for their chosen art is never their fault. I always point the finger at lazy/uninspired devs.

I'm not a game dev so I can't speak to how much of the "dogturd dipped in caramel" look that UE3 games seem to default to is a result of the engine itself, but when Dishonored and Mirror's Edge gets props for not looking like an UE3 game, something's up. Maybe the laziest devs just choose the easiest engine to develop for.

This game is very likely cross platform, or atleast I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be outside of "but next gen is better!". I'm curious to see how GGXrd's animation technology works, because I don't think we've seen anything like it. It already looks better than NRS games so that's one big sigh of relief from me.

M3z_

What happens if Chris picks Hawkeye as his point character with Morrigan then Doom? How is his new team going to handle that, especially since there is no way his Morrigan gets anywhere near Chris level by Evo.

Joule

After linking it to Solarpowered and watching this again SBO 2006 GGXX Slash was the year KA2, a Jam player beat like everybody in the 3v3 tournament. Lost only one match. Iirc the rest of his team didn't even get to play except that one match he lost. What a crazy year that was.

What happens if Chris picks Hawkeye as his point character with Morrigan then Doom? How is his new team going to handle that, especially since there is no way his Morrigan gets anywhere near Chris level by Evo.
Hawkeye/Morrigan/Doom is far easier for Dormammu/Morrigan/Phoenix to beat than Morrigan/Vergil/Doom. There are only two ways to beat Dormammu/Morrigan/Phoenix: have a Phoenix killer, or have someone who can stomp Dormammu before he gets ~4 Dark Harmonizer calls. Morrigan and Vergil can both beat Phoenix, while Hawkeye can't do either of those things. Bad trade.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm not a game dev so I can't speak to how much of the "dogturd dipped in caramel" look that UE3 games seem to default to is a result of the engine itself, but when Dishonored and Mirror's Edge gets props for not looking like an UE3 game, something's up. Maybe the laziest devs just choose the easiest engine to develop for.

This game is very likely cross platform, or atleast I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be outside of "but next gen is better!". I'm curious to see how GGXrd's animation technology works, because I don't think we've seen anything like it. It already looks better than NRS games so that's one big sigh of relief from me.
Neither am I, but I feel when the look is derivative, the rest of the game is usually derivative of what Epic has grounded too, mostly Gears of War. Blood In the Sand, Dark Sector, Army of Two, Dark Void, RoboBlitz, Singularity, the list goes on. On the flipside you have games like those you mentioned, DmC, Asura's Wrath, Tron, Too Human, MNC, a lot of games that don't fill that look at all. I think in the UE3 SDK they just set folks up with textures and showed through Gears that they had a formula that worked that you could piggyback on, as well as a look.

I just traded in my Mirrors Edge for Injustice but damn that game is a gem of this generation, whether you find the gameplay and story hollow or not. A breath of fresh air in the industry it was. One of those games you should play just to experience.

So what's with the Drake thing?
Drake-DJ-Khaled-Rick-Ross-No-New-Friends-Video-1.jpg

#NoNewFriends
#SufferingFromSuccess

Busaiku

Real talk though.

ArcSys are the kings of holding tournaments.
Last night was incredible.

Stream wasn't too hot, but the event itself was so beyond godlike.

vocab

Real talk though.

ArcSys are the kings of holding tournaments.
Last night was incredible.

Stream wasn't too hot, but the event itself was so beyond godlike.

Aside from the Japanese constantly stereotyping themselves, the GG matches were really good.

Can someone explain to this 09er what Marn did to kill Guilty Gear?
It was explained to me that Marn was the organizer of a GG tournament, and he showed up super late and baked, and basically the thing just never got off the ground. The scene died from that moment on. Now, I might have those details wrong, and I find that story to be shady, but that's what I was told.

vocab

It was explained to me that Marn was the organizer of a GG tournament, and he showed up super late and baked, and basically the thing just never got off the ground. The scene died from that moment on. Now, I might have those details wrong, and I find that story to be shady, but that's what I was told.

I heard he rigged brackets so he can get a free ride to the finals.

Neither am I, but I feel when the look is derivative, the rest of the game is usually derivative of what Epic has grounded too, mostly Gears of War. Blood In the Sand, Dark Sector, Army of Two, Dark Void, RoboBlitz, Singularity, the list goes on. On the flipside you have games like those you mentioned, DmC, Asura's Wrath, Tron, Too Human, MNC, a lot of games that don't fill that look at all. I think in the UE3 SDK they just set folks up with textures and showed through Gears that they had a formula that worked that you could piggyback on, as well as a look.

I just traded in my Mirrors Edge for Injustice but damn that game is a gem of this generation, whether you find the gameplay and story hollow or not. A breath of fresh air in the industry it was. One of those games you should play just to experience.

The problem is that GGXrd has apparently been in development for several years meaning UE3 and probably current/cross-gen tech, which makes people infer that there might be large technical limitations to what a 60fps game could look like. Compare the character models in Injustice to the one's in Arkham games, for example, or the console version of DmC to the PC version (or to MT framework DMC4). In 2013, work-in-progress renders are very likely to look better than the final game, not worse.

Asking for IdTech 5 though is arbitrary and silly, I agree.

Top Bottom