• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 20-26 | MRN died so Guilty Gear could live!

Thank lord Keits for UFGT.

Can't wait for the Family Feud-esque pre-show (great last year with Jebailey and JWong), the amazing mystery tournament, Balrog Ball and of course... PAPA KEITS (gimme tha goddamn mic).

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Next Xbox reveal tomorrow. It is going to be a blow up either way. Hopefully Microsoft focuses more on building a robust hardware than stupid crap like always online and no used games.

HiResDes

Just wanna says thanks for the link to that Fooblat Vs. Kane match was one of the most hype matches I've ever seen. Up there with Clockwork Vs. Neo.

Chavelo

eLzhJyj.jpg

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Busaiku

You guys think releasing Guilty Gear Xrd so early into PS4's life will hurt its chances for adoption in the US scene?
I mean yeah, people are gonna upgrade eventually, but until Capcom games start coming, PS4' will not be that widely adopted in the tournament scene.

I dunno what the case was for Dead or Alive IV or Virtua Fighter 5, but I can only assume those didn't turn out well.

Of course releasing so late into PS3's life isn't a good idea either, as it hurts them in the long run.

And considering the anime scene is already poverty, who knows if they'll be able to get a bunch of PS4s to take around to the majors by themselves.

my goodness. the fooblat v. KBR match was incredible. i need to send that match to my friend. he doesn't really play fighting games but i've watched evo with him and he actually did play marvel once when he visited. he's definitely a fan of the hulk/haggar shell. i didn't really explain much to him but he ended up liking viewtiful joe/hulk/haggar; maybe i can convince him to buy a console + marvel.

Horseress

You guys think releasing Guilty Gear Xrd so early into PS4's life will hurt its chances for adoption in the US scene?
I mean yeah, people are gonna upgrade eventually, but until Capcom games start coming, PS4' will not be that widely adopted in the tournament scene.

I dunno what the case was for Dead or Alive IV or Virtua Fighter 5, but I can only assume those didn't turn out well.

Of course releasing so late into PS3's life isn't a good idea either, as it hurts them in the long run.

And considering the anime scene is already poverty, who knows if they'll be able to get a bunch of PS4s to take around to the majors by themselves.

We don't know yet if Capcom will release some fighter as a launch-title for the new generation consoles.
E3 will be a total blow up, for good or for bad

kirblar

How's Ammy's meter-build assist? Seems like a way easier character to pick up than Morrigan, given Champ's C-Tier status with her atm.

edit: Also lets you extend damage off Chaotic Flame via DHC.

Next Xbox reveal tomorrow. It is going to be a blow up either way. Hopefully Microsoft focuses more on building a robust hardware than stupid crap like always online and no used games.

Can't deny, tensions are pretty high here on Microsoft campus. I don't think anyone is going to be getting any work done at all tomorrow at 10. They've done an incredible job at keeping stuff locked down, so none of the rank and file here (myself included) have much of any type of clue about what is coming.

Horseress

Can't deny, tensions are pretty high here on Microsoft campus. I don't think anyone is going to be getting any work done at all tomorrow at 10. They've done an incredible job at keeping stuff locked down, so none of the rank and file here (myself included) have much of any type of clue about what is coming.

Have you worked with Adam Oarth?

Azure J

To all FGC-GAF members that'll be doing GAF reactions to Xbox event tomorrow, stay safe an remember, if you suspect something you'll post is ambiguous enough to have mods wondering "not sure if troll", just don't post it.

Nyoro SF

To all FGC-GAF members that'll be doing GAF reactions to Xbox event tomorrow, stay safe an remember, if you suspect something you'll post is ambiguous enough to have mods wondering "not sure if troll", just don't post it.

I honestly wouldn't post at all in those threads.

The Light

I thinks its fine to post in it for the most part as long one doesn't go too far with fanboy stuff. I didn't see many bans from the Sony conference thread so xbox should be fine.

Horseress

Yeah, I remember someone that was at PAX saying he saw a Ducktales trailer at the Capcom station before it opened, and almost got banned
So yeah, caution with the hype

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Currently preparing my PGR5 announcement GIFs now. Idontgiveafuck. The FB update put out by McLaren has me mad hype.

But yeah, listen to this man. You probably won't get a chance to post at all. GAF will probably be down the entire time, and even through half of the intermission before the hands on demos.

Really? We can't talk about things before its revealed?
That person almost got banned because so many people were posting stupid BS "it's actually this game!" posts, not because he knew something ahead of time. GAF is pretty much known for breaking gaming news but that thread was a troll fest with nobody posting sources. Mods were not happy.

onionfrog

How's Ammy's meter-build assist? Seems like a way easier character to pick up than Morrigan, given Champ's C-Tier status with her atm.
Nah, Ammy's meter build assist is nowhere near as fast or safe as Morrigans. Champ would've taken it if he hadn't fucked up so hard with Phoenix. He almost beat Chris G, even with his Morrigan being ass.

Beckx

The last Nintendo Direct took down GAF. I don't think you'll even have to worry about posting while the stream is live.

Just don't even hit those threads after the stream is over.

onionfrog

I'm mildly interested, but I don't think I can get behind Xbox even if their new console is good.
I can't justify the cost of XBL for a service that is pretty much the same as PSN. Also I don't like having ads plastered all over my dashboard.
Hopefully some interesting games will be announced though.

Is it just me or was Fanatiq not in the pools listing at all?

Is he just going to go for at the door registration again or was he just so butthurt about not being given favoritism in seeding that he decided not to go?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm mildly interested, but I don't think I can get behind Xbox even if their new console is good.
I can't justify the cost of XBL for a service that is pretty much the same as PSN. Also I don't like having ads plastered all over my dashboard.
Hopefully some interesting games will be announced though.
By far the most interesting thing to watch for will be how they transition and shake up XBL in the face of the value PS+ provides and Sony's strides for parity all gen long. They've come a long way and gamers are having a harder time than ever justifying XBL, Sony provides way more value for the same buck.

It's rumoured Sony is moving everything upmarket (except online gaming) into PS+ and Microsoft may be moving in the opposite direction (to lower the threshold and bring in revenue from the apps themselves). We'll see how it goes, already liking the idea of XBL working like twitter. Also I don't think dash ads are going away anytime soon, or that we'll get a customizable UI like people are hoping so they can hide away the ads. They make too much money from that shit.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So is there any chance Ultrachen will bother discussing Arc Revo at all, beyond Guilty Gear Xrd.
No, because they probably didn't watch it. They'll probably acknowledge it's existence and that thats where the GG announcement happened. Even if they did, I'd doubt anyone would want to hear what they (Read: Chen) has to say.

onionfrog

It's rumoured Sony is moving everything upmarket (except online gaming) into PS+
Do you mean moving services like Netflix and Hulu behind a PS+ pay wall? That'd be no bueno for me. But I'm not in a huge rush towards next gen until there is something that I HAVE TO HAVE. (SSB Wii U for example)
Also I'm buying whatever system the new GG ends up on.
and Microsoft may be moving in the opposite direction (to lower the threshold and bring in revenue from the apps themselves).
This would be nice, if they move online play and apps out from under the XBL Gold pay wall I might consider getting their new system. Provided the no used games and always online rumors are false.
Also I don't think dash ads are going away anytime soon, or that we'll get a customizable UI like people are hoping so they can hide away the ads. They make too much money from that shit.
They aren't too big of a deal, but just the fact that they are making money off the ads whilst charging for the online play really puts a sour taste in my mouth. I feel the same way about outrageous movie theater ticket/concessions pricing and pre-movie commercials too.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Do you mean moving services like Netflix and Hulu behind a PS+ pay wall? That'd be no bueno for me. But I'm not in a huge rush towards next gen until there is something that I HAVE TO HAVE. (SSB Wii U for example)
Also I'm buying whatever system the new GG ends up on.

This would be nice, if they move online play and apps out from under the XBL Gold pay wall I might consider getting their new system. Provided the no used games and always online rumors are false.

They aren't too big of a deal, but just the fact that they are making money off the ads whilst charging for the online play really puts a sour taste in my mouth. I feel the same way about outrageous movie theater ticket/concessions pricing and pre-movie ads too.
Kagari (mod, owns FF site, has insider FF/Sony info often) has hinted at moving everything into PS+. Personally, I don't see it happening, PS3 is the #1 Netflix device and I doubt they will change that just to get extra PS+ or PS World or whatever subs. Their strategy is fine as is, but then again I am a proponent that if they do it just because MS does it, they will reap the rewards and there will be no competition otherwise. If you want a next gen console with Netflix, both will require a sub, and consumers will have to deal with it. I don't think Sony will sit still if there's money to be made; they need it most.

At the same time I don't know if MS will move out online gaming from Gold. It's what they built their house on and what most are paying for XBL for. If they do though, they will have to be ULTRA aggressive with how they monetize those apps. The XBLG revenue stream is huge and they won't do it unless they know they can make back the subs they will lose and then some.

Ads ESPECIALLY on a paid service are shitty and scummy as fuck but I really don't notice them. The current dashboard is messy as is, I don't think it does those ads any less favours than it does me trying to find the right button for what I want.

Top Bottom