• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 20-26 | MRN died so Guilty Gear could live!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The problem is that GGXrd has apparently been in development for several years meaning UE3 and probably current/cross-gen tech, which makes people infer that there might be large technical limitations to what a 60fps game could look like. Compare the character models in Injustice to the one's in Arkham games, for example, or the console version of DmC to the PC version (or to MT framework DMC4). In 2013, work-in-progress renders are very likely to look better than the final game, not worse.

Asking for IdTech 5 though is arbitrary and silly, I agree.
You make good points here. I wonder what platforms GG will come to at the end of this all. It looks absolutely gorgeous.

Is there a comparison anywhere of the Arkham City alts in Injustice vs. the models themselves in Arkham City?

The problem is that GGXrd has apparently been in development for several years meaning UE3 and probably current/cross-gen tech, which makes people infer that there might be large technical limitations to what a 60fps game could look like. Compare the character models in Injustice to the one's in Arkham games, for example, or the console version of DmC to the PC version (or to MT framework DMC4). In 2013, work-in-progress renders are very likely to look better than the final game, not worse.

Asking for IdTech 5 though is arbitrary and silly, I agree.

Why is it arbitrary and silly.

vocab

Only PA's story makes sense to me. Even if Marn rigged brackets, I don't see how that would kill the GG scene. If Evo dropped it because of Marn's rigged brackets, then I get ti.

Well if he got caught, and got the game removed from evo it would make sense. If that is the case, how did he get caught?

Well if he got caught, and got the game removed from evo it would make sense. If that is the case, how did he get caught?
IDK. With everyone repeating the general claim as a fact, you'd think someone could enlighten us as to what actually happened. :p

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I also believe the GG tournament was about 2 hours behind and marn was no where to be found, someone found him in the parking lot getting high :lol

Which in return pretty much lead to "your community isn't mature enough to be here" *disclaimer that isn't an actual quote*

gutabo

I hope Marn goes back to GG when this drops. It also means Kyohei is never coming back to Marvel.

It also means Latif is coming back to GG.

EDIT:
481684_532678606788250_869636511_n.jpg

Only PA's story makes sense to me. Even if Marn rigged brackets, I don't see how that would kill the GG scene. If Evo dropped it because of Marn's rigged brackets, then I get ti.
If I remember Marn's counter argument, it's that if the community died just because he fucked up running one tournament, then people were just looking for an excuse to bail on the game.

I think he killed GG.
Why is it arbitrary and silly.
What about Idtech 5 lends itself to being a good engine for a fighting game? You might as well have picked game engines out of a hat.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Great interview with Chris G. Brings up a lot of good points, though a lot of the ignorance too. Not feeling the non-objective view Jason took with the entire thing, hate when interviewers do that and suck up to players too.

Chris G feeling disrespected by the SenorTaxi video. Also says he's gonna start streaming soon. Don't think people will be happy with Chris G and Wong have to say about the pot split.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
If its a FT5 I think CJ has a shot. Past that, it's Fanatiq's game.

So yeah I don't think Fanatiq would agree to a set less than FT7 or FT10.

gutabo

(crossposting from the ect5 thread)
Hey karst, dahbomb, in the GF what do you guys think about ChrisG snapping in strider(and getting rid of vajra)?

Hey karst, dahbomb, in the GF what do you guys think about ChrisG snapping in strider(and getting rid of vajra)?
Eh. If ChrisG gets a hit with his normal team, he can kill through the Vergil DHC. It's generally wiser to simply kill over snapback, and it's not like Strider can open ChrisG's normal team up unless he lets go of control. It's probably better to kill Zero, since he's a team killer. It's not like ChrisG has ways to open him up after snapping him in with Morrigan.

On the schedule (http://ufgtus.wordpress.com/schedule/), the pools are lettered by the block of time they're in. The first Marvel pool is during the "D" block from 7pm-9pm on Friday.

Also, you're in a pool with AGE Flash.
Oh right, I read that and then forgot. Though Flash doesn't really scare me. I don't mean to suggest that I can beat him, just that he doesn't intimidate me in the same way ChrisG would.

Fake Edit: OMG, JJJ is coming? I will go out of my way to play some matches with him. He was my Morrigan inspiration back when I started.

Dahbomb

Morrigan is not a snap in character and she needs all the meter she can get. Its equally as valuable to take out Zero and Vergil. If you take out Zero then Strider you are leaving Dark Vergil to run amok.

gutabo

Eh. If ChrisG gets a hit with his normal team, he can kill through the Vergil DHC. It's generally wiser to simply kill over snapback, and it's not like Strider can open ChrisG's normal team up unless he lets go of control. It's probably better to kill Zero, since he's a team killer. It's not like ChrisG has ways to open him up after snapping him in with Morrigan.

Morrigan is not a snap in character and she needs all the meter she can get. Its equally as valuable to take out Zero and Vergil. If you take out Zero then Strider you are leaving Dark Vergil to run amok.
Thanks, I don't play umvc3 but I like to watch it a lot. I noticed that smart vajra use was limiting chrisg so I had to ask.

Can someone explain to this 09er what Marn did to kill Guilty Gear?

He did nothing, GG was drawing better numbers than CvS2 and at times even 3S when EVO refused to put the game in the 2008 lineup. GG died because its community was a complete joke and was causing trouble for the EVO staff, as James Chen explained here:

http://jchensor.blogspot.sg/2007/10/evolution-2007-season-wrap-up.html

And right now, no community needs to heed this more than the Guilty Gear community. After a couple of severe missteps at this past Evo, the Guilty Gear community will need to do some work to show that they are indeed worthy of the same respect afforded to many of the other Fighting Game communities. This is a challenge that they should be issuing to themselves, and it has nothing to do with what Evo thinks. Because, as I've mentioned with the Third Strike example, Evo will listen if you make some noise first.

The Guilty Gear community has a reputation of being, for lack of a better word, lazy. They do little for self-promotion. Most of the other communities have their celebrities and widely respected players. Their most staunch supporters fight very hard to make sure the game is respected and its popularity is increased, such as in the aforementioned tendency of Super Turbo players to give new players lots of high level strategies. But for some reason, the Guilty Gear community just doesn't seem like they care enough, so the game is never taken seriously. And this is a huge problem.

And it's not a matter of trying to get others to take them seriously. It's a matter of its own players not taking themselves seriously. This is a huge shame because Guilty Gear is such a good game, with great character variety, the need for a ton of technical skill, room for a huge amount of mind games, and really stylish visuals as well. And it's a shame even more so because the American players seem to be improving quite a bit in the past few years. This community deserves a ton of respect and this game should be far more popular than it is, so it can't afford to make any more missteps.

So what are these missteps? One misstep that occurred at Evo this past year still boggles my mind. At the end of the semis for Guilty Gear XX Accent Core, three of the four teams had already qualified for the Finals on Sunday and only two teams remained, needing to fight for the last Finals spot. And the two teams, which knew each other and were on good terms with each other, decided to take a break and leave the ballroom to go and rest and discuss... something, I dunno what, before playing their match. Maybe it's because I'm one of the tournament organizers, but this move is just inexcusable.

Okay, they did ask the person running the brackets if they could take the break and that person said yes, so they are entitled to their break. That much is not their fault. But the mere fact that the question was even asked is still crazy to me. I'm not sure how to express my dismay other than it just feels so unprofessional to me. Evo is run on a tight schedule and we are trying to do our best to make the event as professional and reputable as possible. No professional sport would ever let you delay the 4th quarter of a game because the players wanted a break or wanted to discuss things. Both teams were almost disqualified when we couldn't find them to play their final match after they were gone for over 10 minutes. We had to call the two teams on their cell phones numerous times before we finally got them back into the hall to play the last semis match. Even if I were in that position and wanted a break, I would make sure I'd be back in 5 minutes or remain close to the game area to be back at a moment's notice.

And yet, the other misstep was even bigger, and many people have already heard about this. For the Finals, there were 11 players total that filled up the final 4 teams (three players on each team and one team only had two players). When the first match was scheduled to start, only 4 players out of those 11 were physically there ready to play their match. 7 people were missing! Eventually they all showed up, but only after many, many, many phone calls and after delaying the start of the finals by over 30 minutes. The last player didn't even show up until just before the final match up, lucky that his team even made it that far.

Many use, as an excuse, the early start time of the finals (11:00 a.m.) as to why this happened. But one game took place even earlier (Virtua Fighter 5 was at 9:30 a.m.) and when I opened to doors at 9:30 to call in the top 8 players for Virtua Fighter 5, all 8 players were there and ready to go. So the early start time simply isn't a good enough of an excuse. Any Guilty Gear player even trying to make excuses for those who didn't show up is wasting his or her breath. The community should be apologizing for the players who didn't show up because, again, it just ends up being more evidence that the community doesn't take itself seriously enough.

To make matters worse, many hardcore Guilty Gear players didn't even show up to watch the Finals, even though they started 30 minutes late! And that, to me, is the biggest sin. Why? Because this year, American Guilty Gear players had their best showing. Four Japanese teams played in the tournament, and only two made it to the Finals. And then FlashMetroid's team (with pretty much 100% of the work being done by only two the team members: Alex G. and FlashMetroid himself) powered their way through the Finals, defeating one of the final two Japanese teams on Sunday to make history by being the first time the U.S. has scored 2nd place in a Guilty Gear tournament at Evo.

The. Place. Should. Have. Been. Rocking.

Guilty Gear is one of those games where it is just assumed that the Japanese have a distinct advantage over the American players, making it a foregone conclusion that a Japanese team would win Evo. In fact, most probably predicted the four Japanese teams would finish 1st through 4th. And there was no evidence that the American players were reaching a point where they could give the Japanese players a good challenge. But when FlashMetroid's team defeated BAS's team (filled with three very deadly Japanese players: BAS, Mint, and Kami-chan), a huge step forward was taken for American Guilty Gear players. Thus, the Guilty Gear community should have been there to not only witness it, but to cheer Flash's team on. The room should have been electric!! But instead, it was really subdued.

So what does this all add up to? Well, frankly, the Guilty Gear community has made lots of claims that Evo doesn't like them; that we don't take them seriously. It simply isn't true. Many people on the Evo staff like Guilty Gear a lot, and still play it or have played it before pretty enthusiastically. It's my second favorite Fighting Game right now, right after Super Turbo. No, the Guilty Gear community needs to take a look in the mirror and realize that they don't give anyone enough reason to take them seriously yet. I don't want to hear any more excuses from this community: no one is out to get you. There are a ton of players for this game, it's a great game... the formula is all there already. Now it's time for them to make sure their game gets represented properly.

So if your game is scheduled for 11:00 in the morning, you show up at 11:00 in the morning. I know I know... how can you expect people to show up for an 11:00 a.m. game in Vegas, right? And be loud? And be raucous? Well, guess what? The Tekken community did it at Evo 2006. And they were loud. And they were raucous. And the tournament was really exciting. And that's because their community is dedicated to their game.

Apparently there was a long history of funny behavior from them, with nonsense like finals being held up for an hour because the players need a smoking break.

Busaiku

The "Marn killed Guilty Gear" thing was after that, at like Season's Beatings 2 or 3.
James Chen was actually super happy with the Guilty Gear community the next year, when they weren't in the Evo lineup, but many people decided to show up anyways (and that's why it was at 2009).

But yeah, the Marn killing Guilty Gear thing is probably some long-running joke that's gone on so long it became a fact.
Guilty Gear died in the US cause it was an old game on an old system when there were new games coming out.
Guilty Gear "died" around 2008/2009, when Street Fighter IV, BlazBlue Calamity Trigger, Tekken 6, Soul Calibur IV, and so on came out.
Everyone was switching from PS2s to PS3s/360s for the tournament standard and there were lots of new games to play.

Missing Person

Neo Member
I also believe the GG tournament was about 2 hours behind and marn was no where to be found, someone found him in the parking lot getting high :lol

Which in return pretty much lead to "your community isn't mature enough to be here" *disclaimer that isn't an actual quote*

Are we talking about that Season's Beating debacle?

What went down, according to the SRK thread: Marn was running the tournament, didn't fill out an entire side of the brackets. There was a huge Marvel MM that was one of the SB main events. Marn put a lot of money down on that as a side bet, paused the GG tournament so he could watch, won, and said he was suddenly tired after the MM, and gave the GG brackets to someone else to finish. They get hounded by players not knowing who to play, and then looking at the mess that was the brackets at that point, they had no choice but to cancel the event.

Missing Person

Neo Member
I always thought the Marn killing GG thing was just a joke.

Well, he didn't single-handedly do so. The above case, where the players mostly moved on to BB and newer systems' games was partly correct. Dustloop's main promotion became BlazBlue, and there just simply weren't any majors wanting to showcase GG anymore.

But Marn screwing up the brackets at a major didn't help matters much. People were running around pissed because Marn "ran GG's name into the ground again, and there was no way in Hell Evo would have them back now."

Then a couple months later, Evo announced GG was back one last time before BlazBlue came out, and suddenly, all was generally forgotten about SB.

That aside, I'll be pumped to pick up the next iteration. Just give me good online, since all my friends are trash at ASW games, so I'm not practicing in a vacuum, and I'm stoked.

Top Bottom